Denmark : Abdication & Accession Day - January 14, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
People are calling fr a kiss.

As others have noted, Princess Josephine was clearly emotional, overwhelmed or moody (teenagers, amirite) earlier at Christiansborg.

Love that at Amalienborg on the balcony just now, we see #KingFrederik very tenderly providing her love, hugs and cuddles.

1am here in Queensland Australia, and I am glad I sat up to watch it. It was quite moving in parts. The crowd calling for the King and Queen to kiss and it was lovely.

I am off to bed now, so God bless to all of you.

Big difference between this and UK coronation: No millions spent, no jewels, no church, no bishop, no fuss, but real emotions and connection with the people.

We shouldn’t compare, as a British citizen I found King Charles’ coronation deeply moving and worth every penny spent. The events in Denmark wonderful too, just different traditions.

More than likely the crowd was screaming for a kiss and they obliged. Didn't seem awkward to me.

(..)
I saw emotion by a mother watching her son become King and grandson, Crown Prince. :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
We shouldn’t compare, as a British citizen I found King Charles’ coronation deeply moving and worth every penny spent. The events in Denmark wonderful too, just different traditions.

Why can't we compare? By comparing, I am not putting down what the coronation was and meant. I watched, I thoroughly enjoyed. Worth every penny. By comparing, I am simply pointing out the differences.

It has been a very emotional day. I need time lol. Can't wait for our Danish posters to share their impressions.

I think its fine to compare so long as we remember every country has their traditions and customs that are special and important to them. Here in the UK that includes a coronation which I thought was wonderful and full of history.
The Danish did it their way and that is great. Its the same to me with people calling for abdication to become the norm in all monarchies. Every country, every monarchy is different and has its own traditions and customs. Each monarch has to do what is right for them and their country.
No one ever seems to call for the Japanese or Bhutan monarchies to scarp their traditions and ceremonies. Each to their own.

This seemed perfect for the Danish IMO.

As others have noted, Princess Josephine was clearly emotional, overwhelmed or moody (teenagers, amirite) earlier at Christiansborg.

Love that at Amalienborg on the balcony just now, we see #KingFrederik very tenderly providing her love, hugs and cuddles.

It was lovely to see! Then he moved between Vincent and Josephine and both got included. At 13 life is weird anyway, add in all this public life and I’m sure it’s crazy. Frederik and Mary both showed their loving, parental side Today….you wouldn’t have gotten that in Royalty years gone by.

Tivoli's press release:

https://www.tivoli.dk/da/om/presse/p...ore-scenografi

In addition to welcoming the new king and queen, the fireworks display is intended to thank Queen Margrethe for the "scenography" she has used over the past 52 years to "tell the story of Denmark" with "special artistic sensibility", tradition and innovation, seriousness and levity, surprise and wonder. (Considering the Queen's artistic work, I'm not sure if Tivoli means this tribute to her "scenography" literally, figuratively or both; perhaps Danish speaking members could clarify.)

Tivoli's fireworks show will start at 18.00, about 1 hour and 45 minutes from now. Will that be televised?

Is that the last we will see of the family now? I’m sure it is, they are bound to be emotionally drained and ready for a family meal to talk about the day they just had!

Tivoli's fireworks show will start at 18.00, about 1 hour and 45 minutes from now. Will that be televised?

Yes.

And still waiting - eagerly - for the transfer of the colours in 40 minutes.

More than likely the crowd was screaming for a kiss and they obliged. Didn't seem awkward to me.

(..)
As far as awkwardness, people see different things. :flowers:

Maybe there is something about being a king? But I must say that Frederik has never looked more handsome than he does today. Just saying.

I had always thought of Frederik looking more like his French family, however he really looked like his Swedish great-grandfather, Gustaf Adolf, when he put on his glasses to read his speech. JMHO

:daneflag2:A wonderful day for Denmark and its royal family. How nice to see a country united in celebration, especially since there is such a division in the USA right now. Best wishes to all!

Still no words from the greek part of family. This makes me wonder.

What is going on with Josephine, her behavior and expression for this second balcony appearance seem weird

Being a 13-year-old girl isn't always easy. (..)

I had always thought of Frederik looking more like his French family, however he really looked like his Swedish great-grandfather, Gustaf Adolf, when he put on his glasses to read his speech. JMHO

My husband had an appointment for a beard shave today, but after seeing Frederik and that beard, I just had to convince him to keep it lol

Fredericus Decimus, Rex Dania : Vivat! Crescat! Floreat!
:daneflag2: What a wonderful day : :ausflag2:
Fair winds and a following sea, admiral!

I agree. The British have a Coronation ceremony that dates back many years. It has been adapted to suit the times and will continue to evolve with each monarch. We should respect and celebrate both nations’ traditions.

Last edited:
The large cheering crowds outside the Christiansborg was wonderful to see,braving the winter cold too!

I followed on the DR1 live feed and found it all very emotional! Frederik has often been a man who wears his heart on his sleeve and this was no different. Seeing his joy at how the people received him was wonderful.

Margrethe seemed very emotional in the video of the signing of the abdication document. A momentous day for her and I’m sure she is so proud of her son and his family.

Also agree with a fellow poster who asked if everything was ok with Josephine, she seemed very overwhelmed and I’ve never had that impression of her before. It appeared that her parents and siblings were reassuring her often. Perhaps the momentous occasion got to her on this day.

DR report that Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway have arrived at Amalienborg.

Back
Top Bottom