Death of Queen Elizabeth II - Pre-Funeral Discussion and Reception

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Irish President Michael D Higgins ,his wife Sabina and Taoiseach Micheál Martin (PM) will attend the State Funeral of QEII but no confirmation regarding former Irish Presidents,Mary Robinson and Mary McAleese.

I don't think former presidents of anywhere are being invited, just to keep the numbers down, but maybe an exception will be made for the Republic of Ireland.

Portuguese President Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa also confirmed his presence at the funeral. He will be accompanied by the Minister of Foreign Affairs, João Gomes Cravinho.

The downside of so many heads of State and heads of government attending is that there will be less room in the Abbey for members of the British public, but that was to be expected.

Honestly, the bus idea is an unnecessary diplomatic nightmare, if not a straight faux-pas. It is awkward to start opening exceptions for President X or Y, and not for President Z. The same for the 2-person rule, which apparently does not apply to select countries.

Last edited:
The downside of so many heads of State and heads of government attending is that there will be less room in the Abbey for members of the British public, but that was to be expected.

I'm sure it will be televised outside as with the funerals of the late Queen Mother and Diana,Princess of Wales.

But what could have been done? Limit the attendance of Heads of State to Monarchs like it apparently was in 1952 (at last i don't think a President attended).

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11205641/Who-going-Queens-funeral-guest-list.html

Joe Biden, Emmanuel Macron, and Japanese Emperor Naruhito are among those expected to be granted exemptions from the coach ride for 'security reasons'.

German president Frank-Walter Steinmeier, Italian president Sergio Matarella, Canada's Justin Trudeau and Israel's Isaac Herzog may also be exempted.

If the article is true (it's by daily fail anyway), what's the criteria for exemption? It just gave me an impression that some head of state is just not "important" enough to be granted the exemption. Interesting to see how they handle it.

If the article is true (it's by daily fail anyway), what's the criteria for exemption? It just gave me an impression that some head of state is just not "important" enough to be granted the exemption. Interesting to see how they handle it.

The Times is reporting the same: "Other world leaders, including President Macron of France, Emperor Naruhito of Japan and President Herzog of Israel, are also likely to have their own transport, based on security considerations. One government source said it clearly would not be appropriate to ask G7 leaders to “take a bus”, but added that dignitaries were being asked to be as flexible as possible."

Besides Romania, I wonder which former royal families will attend and who of the late Duke of Edinburghs family will also be there?

They're just trying to be practical. There have been delays at airports for months because so many staff were laid off during the pandemic, when no-one was travelling, and haven't yet been replaced, and it'll be easier if there aren't a lot of private planes landing as well as the scheduled flights. And the traffic in central London/Westminster is a nightmare at the best of times: the roads around the Abbey will obviously be closed to general traffic, but they can't close everywhere and it'll be a lot easier if there aren't umpteen separate motorcades.

The Greeks should be there

I suspect the King will be unable to travel, but will be represented by Queen Anne-Marie and possibly, the Crown Prince and Crown Princess.

Besides Romania, I wonder which former royal families will attend and who of the late Duke of Edinburghs family will also be there?

In addition to Romania, Greece must be present (Queen Anne-Marie and the Crown Prince and the Crown Princess and Princess Theodora, because she was Queen Elizabeth's goddaughter).
Perhaps Bulgaria and Serbia are also present as they are also close to the British Royal Family.

King Constantine II and Queen Anne-Marie of Greece have confirmed their presence at the funeral of Queen Elizabeth II, says the Daily Mail.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11205641/Who-going-Queens-funeral-guest-list.html

PM of Japan confirms Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako will attend Queen Elizabeth’s funeral.

Monaco Press reports that Prince Albert and Princess Charlene are confirmed as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect the King will be unable to travel, but will be represented by Queen Anne-Marie and possibly, the Crown Prince and Crown Princess.

I also don't think King Constantine will be able to come as he didn't attend his sister-in-laws Jubilee last weekeend. It is a big big big Pity.

It will be interesting to see if the King and Queen of Thailand come to the funeral, or are represented by the sister of the King, the Mahachakri.

I also don't think King Constantine will be able to come as he didn't attend his sister-in-laws Jubilee last weekeend. It is a big big big Pity.

Not quite sure if Anne-Marie has returned to Greece. If she is still in Denmark, perhaps she could travel to London with QM II.

I think that each head of state should travel in separate cars. The bus is simply ridiculous in such a solemn occasion (it's not a wedding), and it may lead to diplomatic issues. I understand that the Italian president, among others, may be exempted from the bus. Why exactly? I'm pretty sure there aren't any relevant security issues about him (I'm Italian, in case somebody wonders). The bus-with-exemptions choice says "there are A-list and B-list countries".
I hope they rethink this arrangement: I know that a car for each one would mean an awful lot lot of cars to be driven up to the Abbey, but, come on, it can be done.

I think Princess Theodora will also be invited as the Queen was her godmother.

Quite possibly. But she does live in LA, and it will be interesting to see if she makes it across the pond again so soon after the Jubilee celebrations in Copenhagen.

Quite possibly. But she does live in LA, and it will be interesting to see if she makes it across the pond again so soon after the Jubilee celebrations in Copenhagen.

She was in Denmark this weekend. It is quite possible that she has not returned to Los Angeles, and will stay until next week in Europe.

Last edited:
I don't think former presidents of anywhere are being invited, just to keep the numbers down, but maybe an exception will be made for the Republic of Ireland.

I don't think so given the limited number of guests ,its a shames as both former Irish Presidents,Mary Robinson and Mary McAleese enjoyed very warm relations with the late queen.

Charles, Earl Spencer who is the new king's former brother-in-law is also one of her late Majesty's godchildren.

I wonder if he will be invited?

That DM article states that Albert & Charlene will be in attendance. Not sure if that's an assumption on their part or they have some sort of confirmation.

Charles, Earl Spencer who is the new king's former brother-in-law is also one of her late Majesty's godchildren.

I wonder if he will be invited?

I would think that all of her godchildren will be invited

What about former Imperial family of Iran?

Wonder whether Charlene will accompany Albert.

Isn't it a bit awkward to invite for example the President of the Hellenic Republic and also the former King of the Hellenes? Or the President of Romania and the Custodian of the Romanian Crown? How do they manage such conflicts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom