Death of Queen Elizabeth II - Pre-Funeral Discussion and Reception

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't it a bit awkward to invite for example the President of the Hellenic Republic and also the former King of the Hellenes? Or the President of Romania and the Custodian of the Romanian Crown? How do they manage such conflicts?

I suspect by keeping the current heads of state and the former royals far from each other!

Empress Farah, Crown Prince Reza and Crown Princess Yasmine took part in William and Catherine's wedding.

Empress Farah, Crown Prince Reza and Crown Princess Yasmine took part in William and Catherine's wedding.

Lets see what actually happens, but William's wedding was not a state event like the funeral of HM. There were a lot more friends and family. Heads of Governmnet from around the world had not been invited to William's wedding.

What about former Imperial family of Iran?
I don’t think so because I don’t believe the families were ever close.

They were invited?

I think the Head of the House of Baden’s eldest son will come, the head of the House of Hohenlohe-Langenburg and the Head of the House of Hesse will probably come.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess the Ukrainian President will not attend the funeral, but will be represented by the ukrainian ambassador in Great Britain.

In addition to Romania, Greece must be present (Queen Anne-Marie and the Crown Prince and the Crown Princess and Princess Theodora, because she was Queen Elizabeth's goddaughter).
Perhaps Bulgaria and Serbia are also present as they are also close to the British Royal Family.
Had forgotten about Theodora but yes, as her goddaughter she should attend if at all possible (she was in Denmark over the weekend, so would require staying a little over a week more on this side of the ocean).

Unlikley, IMO. I do not think the current regime from Iran is invited.

My local news channel just claimed Iran 'will be represented at the ambassador level'. Meaning, neither the President nor the Ayatollah will attend.

I wonder if the reigning monarchs will be seated separately (next to the British Royal Family), as in the Queen Mother's funeral (which was not a state funeral), or if they will be mixed with the presidents of the republics as in King Baudouin's funeral for example. Diplomatically, I think the latter should be the right thing to do, but I don't know.

I wonder if the reigning monarchs will be seated separately (next to the British Royal Family), as in the Queen Mother's funeral (which was not a state funeral), or if they will be mixed with the presidents of the republics as in King Baudouin's funeral for example. Diplomatically, I think the latter should be the right thing to do, but I don't know.

In my opinion, the right thing would be for the reigning royalty to be seated closer to the British royal family, and the non-reigning royalty also in a place closer to the royal family.
Being mixed in with the other heads of state and other guests doesn't seem the right thing to me.

How was it done at the funeral of Pope Johannes Paul II?. Must have been the last occasion with so many royals and Presidents present.

Of course they had more space as it was on St. Peters Square.

How was it done at the funeral of Pope Johannes Paul II?. Must have been the last occasion with so many royals and Presidents present.

Of course they had more space as it was on St. Peters Square.

The royals were grouped together.

I guess the Ukrainian President will not attend the funeral, but will be represented by the ukrainian ambassador in Great Britain.

No offense to QEII intended, but Pres. Zelenskyy has a fair few other more important things going on. There was no chance he was going to attend.

Isn't it a bit awkward to invite for example the President of the Hellenic Republic and also the former King of the Hellenes? Or the President of Romania and the Custodian of the Romanian Crown? How do they manage such conflicts?

In the case of Romania, it wouldn't be a problem as the ex-Royal family has very cordial relations with the republican government. For example, Her Majesty Margareta is the President of the Romanian Red Cross. She also gets to host semi-official events which members of the government attend.

I hope they do what they have moved to more recently and sit the people in relation to their relationship with her. Put her children up front…absolutely. And from their spread the grandchildren and great grandchildren.

James and Louise I would presume would be sitting with their parents.

But a sitting arrangements like Phillip memorial worked really well. And so much kinder then sitting everyone by precedence at QEQM funeral.

I think Philip's memorial seating worked well for the family. I just hope they do something different with the foreign royals in attendance.

I think Philip's memorial seating worked well for the family. I just hope they do something different with the foreign royals in attendance.

Bit of uncharacteristic disorder alright on exit. I think someone must have gone wrong somewhere. It won’t happen at this.

And they were seated near the back. I assume though that was because they were there as friends perhaps?

“The Times” is reporting that the horses involved in the events of the coming days have been undergoing special training … being exposed to loud sobbing and having flowers thrown at them.

Also, they will find it difficult to walk at the required slow pace as the drummers sound seventy-five beats per minute.

They are finding this part of their preparation challenging and “quite a tall order” to walk so slow.

Last edited:
I understand that he is not a head of state but I hope Justin Trudeau attends Queen Elizabeth’s funeral. He’s known her most of his life, back to when his father was Canada’s PM. And during his statement about her death he was close to tears.

I understand that he is not a head of state but I hope Justin Trudeau attends Queen Elizabeth’s funeral. He’s known her most of his life, back to when his father was Canada’s PM. And during his statement about her death he was close to tears.

As the prime minister of a country where the Queen was Head of State, I am pretty sure Justin Trudeau will be in attendance. Australian PM Anthony Albanese and New Zealand's PM Jacinda Ardern are also confirmed to attend.

The royals were grouped together.

Royals were all seated together at the funeral of Pope John Paul II and if memory serves crowned heads took precedence over elected Heads of State.

Catholic royalty were seated in the very front(Spain, Belgium, Luxembourg and Liechtenstein.)

Rainier III had died within days of the late pontiff so none of the Monaco Grimaldis were present.

He is the PM of one of her realms so of course he will be attending - along with the GG of Canada.

All the PMs of her realms will attend along with the GGs and possibly some others from each realm.

I thought they were on the opposite side? But I vividly remember Abdullah standing at attention as while GD Maria Teresa was kneeling as the pope's body was carried by in procession.

I have it all on DVD somewhere...will have to dig it up and check it out again..;)

The BBC have given a list of the main overseas dignitaries coming, although it doesn't seem to have been updated for the latest royals to confirm their attendance. King Charles will host a reception for them, I think on Saturday night:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62890879

I wish the media would stop making a huge deal of William and Harry walking together behind the coffin. This really isn't about them. All the headlines were "William and Harry will walk together" - until you read the article in full, you wouldn't have known that the others were walking too.

Last edited:
On September 14th, Japan's Chief Cabinet Secretary Hirokazu Matsuno announced Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako will visit London from September 17 to 20 to attend the state funeral of Queen Elizabeth II.

The decision will be formalized at the Cabinet meeting on the 16th.

Sources: Asahi, Sankei

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom