Charles III: Coronation Information and Musings - Part 2

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
...One of the coronation robes is to be carried to the King by Baroness Merron, 64, a Jewish peer and former Labour MP.
Three other items will be carried by the peers to the King as he sits in his coronation chair, each brought on a cushion to be touched by the monarch before being passed on, probably to the Archbishop of Canterbury, who will give them to the King to be worn as the appropriate words are spoken.
The Times understands that Lord Patel, 84, a Hindu crossbench peer who was born in what is now Tanzania, will carry the sovereign’s ring, and Lord Kamall, 56, a London-born Muslim peer who sits as a Conservative, will carry the armills, a pair of bracelets.
Lord Singh of Wimbledon, 90, a Sikh crossbench peer born in Rawalpindi in what was then British India, will carry the coronation glove.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...d?shareToken=97b5e3a754935252f7f3d5f9f0494dc2
An excellent solution to the King's wish to include other faiths in the coronation.

Update for Aussies:

Sky News (I assume Australia but maybe both Australia and UK ... we get both) will be starting their coverage of the Coronation at 4.00 p.m. while the ABC is at 5.00 p.m. and UKTV at 4.30 p.m. and continuing until 6.00 a.m. Sunday morning.

Channel 7 is also starting at 4.00 p.m. (with a 30 minute break at 6.00 p.m. for the News).

So far the other free-to-air networks have nothing listed but that can change very quickly in the next hours/days etc.

These times are all Sydney times so half an hour earlier on Central time and two hours earlier in WA.

Rehearsals are taking place at Midnight in London ahead of May 6th!

The only Australian with a role in King Charles’ coronation is from Wangaratta – where most people don’t know him.
(...)
Simon Abney-Hastings, the 15th Earl of Loudon, is one of 13 people appointed to play a ceremonial role at the 6 May ceremony.

In a statement provided to some media outlets, his private secretary, Terence Guthridge, said Abney-Hastings was “delighted” to have been invited to be the bearer of the great golden spurs, a part of the ceremony dating back to the coronation of Richard I (Richard the Lionheart), in 1189.
(...)
The gold spurs feature a Tudor rose and a red velvet covered strap, and symbolise knighthood. The set currently in circulation was made in 1661 for Charles II. They were traditionally fastened to the sovereign’s feet but are now just held up to their ankles, then placed on the altar.

The 48-year-old is a direct descendent of George Plantagenet, the brother of Edward IV and Richard III, through his grandmother, Barbara Huddleston Abney-Hastings. Some historians have claimed that Edward was illegitimate and that George, as the eldest legitimate son, should have inherited. In 2004, a Channel 4 documentary entitled Britain’s Real Monarch asserted that Michael Abney-Hastings, the current earl’s father, was, as George Plantagenet’s eldest heir, the rightful king of England.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ta-king-charles-coronation-great-golden-spurs

The Belgian royal family has issued a statement confirming their presence at the coronation. The King and Queen will be at Westminster Abbey for the ceremony, whereas the king will be accompanied by his daughter and heir Princess Elisabeth, duchess of Brabant at the reception at Buckingham Palace the night before

The Belgian royal family has issued a statement confirming their presence at the coronation. The King and Queen will be at Westminster Abbey for the ceremony, whereas the king will be accompanied by his daughter and heir Princess Elisabeth, duchess of Brabant at the reception at Buckingham Palace the night before

Good to have confirmation.

That's nice that the Duchess of Brabant will be at the Pre Coronation Reception at BP!

Smart move. So now we have the Crown Prince and -Princess of Denmark, the Crown Princess of Sweden, the Crown Prince and -Princess of Norway, the Princess of Orange, the Duchess of Brabant and the Crown Prince and -Princess of Japan attending the pre-Coronation reception. That is a bunch of Heirs together.

Smart move. So now we have the Crown Prince and -Princess of Denmark, the Crown Princess of Sweden, the Crown Prince and -Princess of Norway, the Princess of Orange, the Duchess of Brabant and the Crown Prince and -Princess of Japan attending the pre-Coronation reception. That is a bunch of Heirs together.

Two clear age bands though: Japan, Norway, Sweden & Denmark, and a younger generation comprising Belgium and the Netherlands.

I wonder if we'll see The Princess of Asturias at the Coronation Eve Reception,I'm doubting it with her studies and Exams but the Princess of Orange is also in the same boat.

Have you heard of Gold Leaf? I have seen it in a Catholic cathedral. Have you seen it being applied?

I wonder if we'll see The Princess of Asturias at the Coronation Eve Reception,I'm doubting it with her studies and Exams but the Princess of Orange is also in the same boat.

It is not the same situation, Amalia is at the university and studying at a distance now. Princess Leonor is in the final exams for Baccalaureate and on the 5th there are official exams in the morning and in the afternoon.

What a pleasant surprise! So both the Princess of Orange and the Duchess of Brabant will be at the Palace reception.

Amalia is on break next week, so no problem for her to attend.

It is not the same situation, Amalia is at the university and studying at a distance now. Princess Leonor is in the final exams for Baccalaureate and on the 5th there are official exams in the morning and in the afternoon.

Do you have new information that makes you think she is studying at a distance? According to her parents she attends classes at the university.

Does Mathilde have another activity scheduled on Friday night or was this decision made to provide Elisabeth an opportunity to participate in this event?

Does Mathilde have another activity scheduled on Friday night or was this decision made to provide Elisabeth an opportunity to participate in this event?

I wonder if the Palace is sticking to a strict two-person per country rule, but I doubt it.

I wonder if the Palace is sticking to a strict two-person per country rule, but I doubt it.

It looks like they do. However, that doesn't answer the question whether Mathilde gave up her place for Elisabeth to attend or that she has other commitments making it impossible to attend, hence, Elisabeth's partivcipation.

For example, in the case of the Netherlands, the king and queen have their yearly 5 May (Liberation Day) concert to attend, so they are unavailable, which had the added bonus that princess Beatrix and the princess of Orange can now also participate in one of the activities.

I wonder if King Felipe and Queen Letizia will attend the Pre Coronation Reception at BP?

The children's Choristers rehearsal at Westminster Abbey ahead of the Coronation.

Last edited:
What a pleasant surprise! So both the Princess of Orange and the Duchess of Brabant will be at the Palace reception.
Indeed. It makes me wish Ingrid Alexandra was tagging along with Haakon and Mette-Marit.

The deputy leader of Sinn Fein's accepted an invitation to attend the Coronation. For people not familiar with Northern Irish politics, this is the party which was the political wing of the IRA, the terrorist group which carried out numerous atrocities including the murder of Lord Mountbatten. This is a big moment in the peace and reconciliation process.

The deputy leader of Sinn Fein's accepted an invitation to attend the Coronation. For people not familiar with Northern Irish politics, this is the party which was the political wing of the IRA, the terrorist group which carried out numerous atrocities including the murder of Lord Mountbatten. This is a big moment in the peace and reconciliation process.

Yes it is indeed. Up there with the meeting between Martin McGuinness & the late queen. An encouraging sign in light of some recent tensions in NI.

What an honour!
But I expected her to be mounted on this day, tbh.

(She should wear this shirt on which is printed Don't mess with the Princess :lol:) (Of course this is a joke, please relax.)

I'm not surprised either, I was certain she would be riding and in uniform.

Hmm interesting as Anne is Gold Stick in Waiting by virtue of being Colonel of the Blue and Royals (the role is held jointly by that Colonel and Colonel of the Life Guards) so this isn't really a new honour for her just her fulfilling her duties as Colonel of the Blues and Royals. I'm not saying it isn't nice, nor a honour, but it is because of a role she holds already having been appointed in 1998.

IMO the bigger news is the seeming confirmation she will be in military uniform for the coronation.

The tabloids had the Princess Royal, Duke of Edinburgh and Prince of Wales training for the coronation at the stables and in the evening procession rehersals. So we now know what role Anne will be doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom