Charles III: Coronation Information and Musings - Part 2

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the King is ringing India to convey his apologies, he probably would like to have Lady Pamela there; it's just not possible for whatever reason, and perhaps seems a bit kinder not to oblige a 94 year old to go through extra stress and excitement.

Lady P herself says it's more sensible this way.

It would have been quite an honor for Lady Pamela Hicks to attend. Then she could remark that she attended three coronations.

Last edited:
It would have been quite an honor for Lady Pamela Hicks to attend. Then she coukd remark that she attended three coronations.
Or she's of the opinion "seen one, seen 'em all..." and doesn't feel at all upset at watching this one from the comfort of her home on the telly.

Will some gentlemen purchase their coronation clothes from Henry Poole & Co. Tailor Shop?

Did Pamela attend the 1937 coronation?

I think she stayed at Buckingham Palace while her parents went. Edit: And her sister, according to her book.

The government has given a statement on the coronation oath. The main detail is that the other Commonwealth realms will not be recited individually as they were in 1937 and 1953:

Some updating to the wording of the oath is required to reflect the current position as regards the Realms and Territories, whose number has evolved since the Coronation of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, and who will be referred to collectively.

I think the inclusion of all of the overseas realms in the oath was tricky even in 1953. Perhaps it wasn't possible this time due to objections by the governments.

Last edited:
The government has given a statement on the coronation oath. The main detail is that the other Commonwealth realms will not be recited individually as they were in 1937 and 1953:

I think the inclusion of all of the overseas realms in the oath was tricky even in 1953. Perhaps it wasn't possible this time due to objections by the governments.

I don't understand why they would object. On the contrary, I would imagine they would want the names of all realms to be recited separately to underscore that Charles III is separately the King of each of them and that they are in no way subordinate to or part of the United Kingdom.

If you ask me, I see this change as an "involution" in the constitutional relation between the UK and the realms.

Well I'm just going to say that I am very disappointed that Lady Pamela Hicks is not invited. What a splendid and regal connection she has to Crown Service and Charles.
Mbruno, completely and enthusiastically agree about the " invitees " dilemma for Seats.

This isn't some inconsequential "relative", that the family or public isn't aware of. I would have thought her invite a no brainer. But of course being the elegant classy Lady that she is ......Pamela gave a respectful and dignified response. WHAT ELSE would this old school, "greatest generation" Lady have said ?

The daughter of Charles beloved "honorary Grandfather" Louis Mountbatten, the last Viceroy of India, who was assassinated by The Irish Republican Army in 1979. Pamela, along with Princess Alexandra of Kent are the last of QEll's Bridesmaids alive. She was also accompanying Elizabeth and Philip on The African Tour when George Vl sadly passed away back in England in 1952.

Lady Pamela also served as a Lady in Waiting, and she was Prince Philips first cousin, and is a descendant of Queen Victoria too. Probably has memories of the buzz around George Vl's Coronation too, she would have been around 7.

What a lovely sentimental AND earned choice it would have been to have invited her. Whether She chose to go or not, would be up to her. How nice would it have been to have The Coronation Invite as a keepsake to pass on ?

She also has a tribute Book coming out soon about Queen Elizabeth and their relationship. "My Years With The Queen And Other Stories".
The two Mountbatten girls, Pamela and her now deceased sister Patricia, were ( to me ) rock steady, loyal and drama free.

Very different characters than their " splashy " and theatrical parents. Louis and Edwina Mountbatten.

Last edited:
I don't understand why they would object. On the contrary, I would imagine they would want the names of all realms to be recited separately to underscore that Charles III is separately the King of each of them and that they are in no way subordinate to or part of the United Kingdom.

I have my doubts that all of the governments would see a foreign archbishop in a foreign country announcing their countries as those whose monarch is being crowned as showing them to be less subordinate to the United Kingdom. I suspect that several of them would rather their countries not be involved at all.

Re: Lady Pamela Hicks
The line has to be drawn somewhere and I thought maybe it was drawn at the King's parents' 1st cousins who aren't HRHs but having had a look at those cousins, Pamela is the only one still alive so the criteria must have been something else. It does seem a shame to leave her out.

For those of us who like to cook and bake here's the video guide for the Coronation Quiche!

Agree that finding one ticket for Lady Pamela and one ticket for India or Ashley to assist her shouldn’t have been too much…

Maybe she would have declined if she felt it would have been too much, but then it would have been her choice

She is after all the oldest living member of The King’s family (even though it is at Philips side) and hardly a distant figure in any way

Agree that finding one ticket for Lady Pamela and one ticket for India or Ashley to assist her shouldn’t have been too much…

Maybe she would have declined if she felt it would have been too much, but then it would have been her choice

She is after all the oldest living member of The King’s family (even though it is at Philips side) and hardly a distant figure in any way

Couldn't she have got Meghan's place?

I have my doubts that all of the governments would see a foreign archbishop in a foreign country announcing their countries as those whose monarch is being crowned as showing them to be less subordinate to the United Kingdom. I suspect that several of them would rather their countries not be involved at all.

All they have to do is leave the Commonwealth if they feel like that. They are not forced to be part of it.

I am probably crazy, but I am looking forward to seeing the gowns or dresses that
the women in the Royal Family will wear. Looking forward to seeing what Princess
Charlotte will wear.

I am probably crazy, but I am looking forward to seeing the gowns or dresses that the women in the Royal Family will wear. Looking forward to seeing what Princess Charlotte will wear.

Not crazy at all! Me too.

I understand all ladies have been requested to wear long formal white dress - gloves and tiara. Any confirmation. Men - military or morning suit.

I understand all ladies have been requested to wear long formal white dress - gloves and tiara. Any confirmation. Men - military or morning suit.

Where did you 'understand' that? It seems contrary to all previous information.

Where did you get this? That's completely new to me as well.

I have been reading about obstructed view seats at Taylor Swift concerts and it made me think of the people at the back of the church. Can’t see anything besides the walk in and out anyway, might as well watch it on a screen. Do they do screens inside the church (not for funeral)? Would it be a bad idea to have an official viewing party for the community folks or all of the nobility on the lawn?

Now knowing that Lady P wasn’t invited, I am intrigued to see which of the extended family, friends, nobility, government people etc, made the cut. With all this downsizing, I hope to still be wowed by something. Aka the fashion, but Cam is not the most stylish, and other royals like Maxima have a bolder style than Catherine, but they can’t overshadow.

Will members of the nobility wear their coronets and robes at the ceremony?

Will members of the nobility wear their coronets and robes at the ceremony?

Everything we've seen suggests no coronets, but some of them will wear parliamentary robes (not coronation robes).

There was a recent article in the Times or the Telegraph that said that peers with a role in the service might wear coronation robes, but a profile of Lord Carrington (the Lord Great Chamberlain) in the Times yesterday said he will be wearing his uniform with the parliamentary robe as an option on top of that:

Carrington is too discreet to say what he will be doing on May 6. Although he will be at the heart of the action — there is speculation that he may present the spurs, like his great-great-uncle— he is disappointed that he won’t get to wear his coronation robe or the coronet, which until recently was lovingly kept in top condition in the attic. “I’m very sad it’s a dress-down occasion and my wife doesn’t get a seat,” he said.

Still, he has his Lord Great Chamberlain uniform, complete with silver gilt key at the back. The only question is whether to wear his parliamentary robe over the top.

No confirmation so far but if they are following a dress code similar to the State Opening of Parliament then that would make sense.

I have heard day dress with hats for the ladies and gloves optional. I believe someone saw an invitation to a foreign royal and that was the dress code that was given to them.

I have heard day dress with hats for the ladies and gloves optional. I believe someone saw an invitation to a foreign royal and that was the dress code that was given to them.
That someone was me. Hopefully I'm right or you'll never believe anything I have to say ever again. Though at the same time I'd be happy to be wrong and have all the royal ladies sashay into the Abbey in all their day gala finery.

That someone was me. Hopefully I'm right or you'll never believe anything I have to say ever again. Though at the same time I'd be happy to be wrong and have all the royal ladies sashay into the Abbey in all their day gala finery.

I certainly hope you are wrong. Not because i do not believe you, but because it would be a more regal and coronation worth dresscode if long gowns and tiaras/or hats are worn for a coronation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom