Belgian National Day - 21 July, 2: 2023 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
More photos from this year's National Day:
(..)

Last edited by a moderator:
Some more photos can also be found here:

** robinutrecht.photoshelter.com gallery **

** legion media gallery ** ppe gallery 2 ** ppe gallery 3 ** dailymail article **

I am very upset by the attude of some members of our Royal Family , that happens only in Belgium !never in another Royal Family.
The King and the Queen are a great team and have 4 Children two were yesterday in Uniform.
But he has alas a half sister , who instead of looking Royal , wanted to show how much she loves his Father.!!
Endly , Claire who is Princess of Belgium had to be there , unrespectful or the King and we the Belgians.

I am very upset by the attude of some members of our Royal Family , that happens only in Belgium !never in another Royal Family.
The King and the Queen are a great team and have 4 Children two were yesterday in Uniform.
But he has alas a half sister , who instead of looking Royal , wanted to show how much she loves his Father.!!
Endly , Claire who is Princess of Belgium had to be there , unrespectful or the King and we the Belgians.
Yes its unfortunate that the kings half sister seems to only be there to attract attention with her court jesters outfits.
I've grown tired of her constant attention seeking antics and I suspect that I am not alone there.
Princess Claire is no real surprise and we only have to see who she is married to, the pair of them continously only suit themselves.

Yes its unfortunate that the kings half sister seems to only be there to attract attention with her court jesters outfits.
I've grown tired of her constant attention seeking antics and I suspect that I am not alone there.
Princess Claire is no real surprise and we only have to see who she is married to, the pair of them continously only suit themselves.
I find it a bit harsh on Claire, but it's not the appropriate thread to elaborate further. I just hope she's doing well, as she's had health issues in past years.

By the way, did I miss it, or Laurent didn't use his phone before/during the military parade this year? It must be the first time in many years!

By the way, did I miss it, or Laurent didn't use his phone before/during the military parade this year? It must be the first time in many years!
I tend to ignore any coverage with either Delphine or Laurent ;)

I see that Delphines children are royal. I didn't know that prince/princess titles could go through the female line in Belgium.

I also wanted to ask if Delphine has a tiara. I read she wants to start going to other events like state banquets so would the family have to provide her with one. I know they don't have many as it is.

I see that Delphines children are royal. I didn't know that prince/princess titles could go through the female line in Belgium.
It's the case since 1991.
Astrid's five children (Amedeo, Laura, Joachim, Luisa and Laetitia) are also all Princes and Princesses of Belgium. Prince Amedeo of Belgium (Albert and Paola's eldest grandchild) was even the "heir" of his generation for many years, until the birth of his cousin (and goddaughter) Elisabeth, in 2001.
Royal titles are currently regulated by the 2015 Royal Decree.

I also wanted to ask if Delphine has a tiara. I read she wants to start going to other events like state banquets so would the family have to provide her with one. I know they don't have many as it is.
She doesn't, and, as far as I know, she has never said anything about State Banquets. Last year she complained about not being invited to the King's Feast celebrations (15th November), which consist of a Te-Deum and a reception at the Parliament. No banquets involved

Last edited:
It's the case since 1991.
Astrid's five children (Amedeo, Laura, Joachim, Luisa and Laetitia) are also all Princes and Princesses of Belgium.
Thanks for the info. Does that mean that the offspring of those children become prince/princess too? Where does it end.

She doesn't, and, as far as I know, she has never said anything about State Banquets. Last year she complained about not being invited to the King's Feast celebrations (15th November), which consist of a Te-Deum and a reception at the Parliament. No banquets involved
I read that she wants to be involved in all official events going forward including state visits, that's why I'm asking.

Thanks for the info. Does that mean that the offspring of those children become prince/princess too? Where does it end.

The children of Prince Amedeo of Belgium do not have any Belgian titles but are in the line of Succession.

No. It's limited to the grandchildren of the monarch. Prince Amedeo (Astrid's eldest son) already has 3 children (Anna Astrid, Maximilian and Alix), who aren't Princesses/Prince of Belgium, because they are great-grandchildren of a monarch (King Albert II)

I read that she wants to be involved in all official events going forward including state visits, that's why I'm asking.
Her request was specific about the King's Day (and someone mentioned, at the time, the diplomatic reception at the beginnining of the year-still no tiaras involved). There were, by the way, state banquets since then, and she wasn't invited, she certainly never will

The children of Prince Amedeo of Belgium do not have any Belgian titles but are in the line of Succession.

Prince Amedeo's children carry the title of Princess and Prince (but not "of Belgium"). His oldest daughter was registered with the name Princess Anna Astrid Marie on her birth certificate and has always been referred to as Princess Anna Astrid by the Belgian royal court.

Please refer to this post for official sources.

No. It's limited to the grandchildren of the monarch.

No, only the Prince/Princess of Belgium title was limited to grandchildren. At least all legitimate patrilineal descendants (if not others) remain Prince/Princess (reference Art. 4 of the Royal Decree of November 12, 2015), and there are numerous families in the nonroyal Belgian nobility who continue to bear the title of Prince/Princess in legitimate male line.

Last edited:
No, only the Prince/Princess of Belgium title was limited to grandchildren. At least all legitimate patrilineal descendants (if not others) remain Prince/Princess (reference Art. 4 of the Royal Decree of November 12, 2015), and there are numerous families in the nonroyal Belgian nobility who continue to bear the title of Prince/Princess in legitimate male line.
Yes, I was referring to the title "Prince/Princess of Belgium"; I should have specified it

I find it a bit harsh on Claire, but it's not the appropriate thread to elaborate further. I just hope she's doing well, as she's had health issues in past years.

But her health issues only seem to flare during National Day these last years? Like she's always out and about when there's a Queen Paola Foundation event and whatnot.
It's deliberate and even if I've always liked Claire, I am not fond of this attitude of hers.

But her health issues only seem to flare during National Day these last years? Like she's always out and about when there's a Queen Paola Foundation event and whatnot.
It's deliberate and even if I've always liked Claire, I am not fond of this attitude of hers.
Yes, I was just saying that I hope there weren't any health issues in recent weeks, since she hasn't appeared in public for over a month (the last time was for the Queen Paola Foundation in June). But I see what you mean, and if that's deliberate, I'm also disappointed, even if I like her

I think if it was for health reasons they would have said that Princess Claire was unable to attend due to health reasons or was unwell.
I do hope she is ok and it is always nice to see Claire.
If it was a deliberate snub National Day of all occasions all I can say if its time for Laurent and Claire to grow up!

Thanks to King Philippe and Queen Mathilde loving couple and loving parents , it is the first time in our Monarchy that we have 4 lucky Princes and Princesses.
King Leopold II lost his Heir when he was 10 years old
King Albert I , the war 1914-1918
King Leopold III , 3 young orphans because they lost their beloved Mother Queen Astrid, War 1940-1944 , second wedding during the War, 10 years Exile , Abdication.
King Baudouin became Prince Royal when he was only 19 years old. He could not go to an University and had no Military formation , directly when he was King at 21 years old , he was the Head of the Army.
King Albert II , when he was Prince de Liege it was Hell at home , children alone. Child out of Wetlock . A halfsister for his 3 Children.

Last edited:
Thanks to King Philippe and Queen Mathilde loving couple and loving parents , it is the first time in our Monarchy that we have 4 lucky Princes and Princesses.
King Leopold II lost his Heir when he was 10 years old
King Albert I , the war 1914-1918
King Leopold III , 3 young orphans because they lost their beloved Mother Queen Astrid, War 1940-1944 , second wedding during the War, 10 years Exile , Abdication.
King Baudouin became Prince Royal when he was only 19 years old. He could not go to an University and had no Military formation , directly when he was King at 21 years old , he was the Head of the Army.
King Albert II , when he was Prince de Liege it was Hell at home , children alone. Child out of Wetlock . A halfsister for his 3 Children.

Baudouin had such a tragic life in many regards, he lost his mother so young, had to flee the nazis, then a strained relationship with his father, thrown to the wolves when he was only 20/21 because his father had made bad choices, the only balm he ever actually had was Fabiola and even then they weren't blessed with children of their own, so sad, he also died quite young for modern standards.

I think Albert looks at his life now and probably feels he lucked out A LOT, because he had what Baudouin might have always wanted: a long life, children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, a golden retirement with his wife, etc.

This is very true:

As the kings children start taking on duties and roles the likes of sulky spoilt Laurent and Claire and attention craving princess Delphine will fade away into the background.
The king Queen and children will hopefully put on a more untied royal family front.

The Belgian royal Family is so beautiful. Its impressive how Mathilde, Phillipe and their children interact with each other.🌹😊
They have a happy united front,so happy to see this!

I think Albert looks at his life now and probably feels he lucked out A LOT, because he had what Baudouin might have always wanted: a long life, children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, a golden retirement with his wife, etc.
Yes, I think that's on point. In an article that I had read for his 90th birthday, one of his friends said something along those lines, that Albert feels he's been very lucky, after all, and currently his greatest fear is to leave his wife alone.
I'm sure he misses his brother Baudouin (whom he was very close to) a lot, it will be 31 years next week since his premature death

Delphine Boel looks terrible as always, like a real upstart. As a non-working member of the Royal Family I do wonder why she attends this event at all...?!

Back
Top Bottom