Danish Royal Family, Current Events Part 6: June 2020 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Where was the rest of the family?

(..)
They were presumably back at Marselisborg.
But tomorrow is a holyday too here in DK, so we may see them at the service tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous:
I hope tomorrow we can see the Crown Prince's family complete with the Queen.
It was nice to see Princess Isabella today, she seemed happy to be part of this event.

At Marselisborg, I assume. It's not exactly tradition for Frederik, Joachim and their families to join QMII for Easter Mass. I actually can't remember when they last accompanied her.

I'm thinking today's appearance by Frederik and Isabella had more to do with Isabella's confirmation being in two weeks than it was an indicator that the Crown Prince family will begin to join QMII at the Easter services :lol:

I also guess Christian would've probably joined QMII last year if it hadn't been for the COVID-19 restrictions.

Last edited:
An official visit from India will take place on May 3-4.
https://www.kongehuset.dk/nyheder/officielt-besoeg-fra-indien

As part of a tour of Europe, HE The Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi visits Denmark the days of 3-4 May. During the official visit, which will be hosted by Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen, HM The Queen will receive Prime Minister Modi in audience on 3 May, and Her Majesty will host an official dinner afterwards in Christian VII’s Palace at Amalienborg. The Crown Prince Couple will be present at both the reception and the dinner.

An official visit from India will take place on May 3-4.
https://www.kongehuset.dk/nyheder/officielt-besoeg-fra-indien

As part of a tour of Europe, HE The Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi visits Denmark the days of 3-4 May. During the official visit, which will be hosted by Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen, HM The Queen will receive Prime Minister Modi in audience on 3 May, and Her Majesty will host an official dinner afterwards in Christian VII’s Palace at Amalienborg. The Crown Prince Couple will be present at both the reception and the dinner.

That is a very significant visit!

The relationship between India and Denmark has been strained for many years. It goes back to the war in Sri Lanka.
I'll into more details about that next week.

It sure is a sign or normalization between the two countries.

That is a very significant visit!

The relationship between India and Denmark has been strained for many years. It goes back to the war in Sri Lanka.
I'll into more details about that next week.

It sure is a sign or normalization between the two countries.

I look forward to hearing more on this Muhler! And is that why then Mary and Frederik will also be present at the audience?

I look forward to hearing more on this Muhler! And is that why then Mary and Frederik will also be present at the audience?

Yes, because the big red carpet is rolled out at this visit.

Princess Beatrix will visit DK on 20. May in order to, together with QMII, to commemorate the first major settlement of Dutch farmers on the island of Amager right next to Copenhagen. (It's where Copenhagen Airport is located today.)

https://www.kongehuset.dk/nyheder/500-aaret-for-den-nederlandske-indvandring-til-store-magleby

501 years ago Christian IV realized that DK was pretty behind in regards to both farming but also other at the time modern crafts, and as such he invited a number of Dutch families to DK, to boost farming methods among other things and spread these new ideas among the Danes. - As soon as the Danes realized they were being out-competed by the Dutch they would adopt the new methods alright! Previous reforms tended to fizzle out with all sorts of excuses that are still in use today:
It won't work.
It won't work here.
The old ways are fine!
Why change something that works?
- And so on and so on...

Anyway, to attract Dutch settlers, they had a number of privileges, not least in regards to taxes, but also their own jurisdiction - within reason.
Over time these immigrants got integrated and spread all over the rest of the country.
They did leave a mark though. A number of Dutch names are still prominent today and a number of things the Dutch brought with them became very popular here in DK, not least the Amagerhylde - Amager-shelf, inspired by the steep fronts on the narrow houses in the Netherlands.
https://www.bolius.dk/fileadmin/_processed_/0/b/csm_01-Amagerhylden-hvor-blev-den-af_afb52ba36f.jpg
http://www.amagernyt.dk/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Amagerhylden.jpg
Not as common today, as late as my childhood every Danish home worth mentioning had one in the living room. There was one in my own childhood home - 450+ years after the Dutch came. A funny little detail, eh?

The Dutch were not the only time that immigrants were invited to DK to boost the local skills. French Hugenottes fleeing from persecution in France were invited to settle in the then brand new fortress town of Fredericia. A couple of their names are prominent today as well.

Last edited:
Not sure which thread to put this is in:
https://www.kongehuset.dk/nyheder/riddersalen-i-christian-vii’s-palae-1

DRF website has posted about tonight's official dinner for the Indian PM. It says, in part:
H.M. The Queen will host an official dinner tonight on the occasion of H.E. India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi's official visit to Denmark. The official dinner takes place in the Great Hall in Christian VII's Palace. The Great Hall is the most magnificent room in the Amalienborg Palaces, and is used, among other things, in connection with New Year's Eve relays on 1 January.

The press release also discusses the flowers that will be used for the table arrangements.

BB has also published the guest list for the evening: The Royal Family: https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/stor-gallamiddag-paa-amalienborg-se-gaestelisten-her

The DRF website has published the FULL guest list here: https://www.kongehuset.dk/nyheder/g...er-narendra-modis-officielle-besoeg-i-danmark

Link to BB transmitting live from the event: https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...ronningen-og-kronprinsparret-ankomme-med-stil

Last edited:
Today the Indian PM Modi arrived in DK, as a part of a tour to several European countries. The visit in DK will also cover Norway and Sweden, perhaps Iceland and Finland as well. I'm not sure.

This is the simplified background info.

Modi is a nationalist and a populist, he represents the Hindu majority in India, tolerate other religious minorities, like Sikhs, Christians and Buddhist but is less than tolerant (to put it mildly!) towards the Muslims, who constitute the largest religious minority in India.
As a result he has antagonized the Muslim world with the consequence that India is dependent on Russian oil. - Rather than sailing around the corner to the Golf States, which would be cheaper, faster and more reliable.
Modi himself and his administration's policy towards Muslims in particular made him a less than welcome person in the West for many years, with the result that Modi turned towards Russia for support and that includes lots of weapons. The West has for many decades used the "spare parts weapon" to keep a foreign government reined in. In short: You get the weapons, you get the ammunition, but if you don't behave you don't get the spare parts, which after a while renders the weapons useless.
Modi cannot turn towards China, because India and China have border disputes and India would very much like to eventually take over as the global factory from China - or at the very least take a substantial part of China's global position.

The Modi administration has however worked hard for the past ten years to improve relations with everybody, not least the West.
It's as always about money. The Modi administration stays in power as long as the Indian economy is going well. And one way of securing the economy going well is to have good trade relations with USA but also very much EU.
Hence Modi is on a "sucking up tour" to EU.
It goes both ways though, EU is of course also interested in the India market, and EU (and not least USA!) won't mind at all if India becomes another global factory, - rivaling China.

Back in the 90's a Danish citizen was caught delivering weapons to an Indian insurgent group. Operating for ideological reasons, he was sentenced to prison in India, but managed to escape and flee to DK. Here India wanted him extradited back to India, but the courts in DK turned that request down on the basis that it was considered a likely risk that the Dane would be subjected to torture if extradited. India put pressure on the Danish governments, which refused to intervene against the Danish courts, that would be illegal.
Understandably IMO India was annoyed and since DK is a small country and a nationalist governments needs to act tough DK was put on ice for more than 20 years - and that includes major trade relations.

But pragmatism is the name of the game. So in more recent years and as mentioned above India has worked hard on improving international relations. It's still a nationalist government, it still goes to considerable lengths to annoy the Muslim minority and it still aims to turn India into a full Hinduist country. But in order to do that they need money and money doesn't smell, so in 2020 the Danish PM visited India and all of a sudden the relations are a-okay again. (Danish diplomacy has of course also been working behind the scenes.)
So instead of not visiting DK during this tour, the Indian PM is now in DK, and we have no intention of ruining a good business opportunity! So the big red carpet is rolled out for the India PM and that includes wheeling out the DRF - even though this is merely a government business visit.

We all agree we are not going to talk about the Dane who was gun-running in India and we are not going to talk too loudly about some details about the humans rights in India.
In fact the main foreign political theme during the Indian PMs visit to Europe has been Ukraine. He has been urged to "talk sense to Russia" = Cut off trade relations with Russia as much as possible and "come over to us."
The problem is of course is that India has done "a Germany" that is become too dependent of Russian energy supplies for India just to cut of relations with Russia. That would at least for some years harm the Indian economy - and seriously risk the Indian government, which might be voted out of office.
It's really very simple: The Indian government came to power by picking on the Muslims and appealing to the Hindus. Now that it is in power and has established its power base, it's now about staying in power. And one good way of doing that is to increase the India middle-class. As long as the middle class is growing and doing well, all is well. For that you need economic expansion = money. Good trade relations = more money.

So if we can agree of increased trade relation between Europe (mainly EU) and India everybody will be happy :D - Well, perhaps with the exception of the Muslim minority in India... - But there is a nice carpet over there we can sweep that little problem under.

Are you still with me? ?
That was the simplified version.
If you want the complex version, let me know. ?

I thought you said Sri Lanka was involved?

Crown Prince Frederik, Crown Princess Mary and Princess Benedikte attended the gala evening for the Government, the Danish Parliament and the Danish Members of the European Parliament at Christiansborg Castle today, September 23:

** instagram gallery ** seoghoer.dk article **

** BB gallery: Se alle billederne: De kongelige ankommer til aftenselskab på Christiansborg **

** BB: Kronprins Frederik og kronprinsesse Mary klar til stor fest på slottet: Se alle de flotte gæster **

** BB article: Veloplagte værter til aftenselskab: Kronprinsesse Mary og kronprins Frederik tog Drabantsalen med storm **

As far as I know this is the first time we see M&F as "the regent couple" in a major gala-event. - A glimpse of the future.

The gala dinner tonight is for the government, MPs and leaders of parties that can run for the next general election as well as members of the European Parliament.

It is a big thing actually. The DRF's tribute to the democracy and the elected (national) representatives for the Danish democracy.

It is tradition that the Monarch hosts such a gala during the term of a government.
General elections take place in DK within max four years of the last general election.
The next general election in DK must according to the Constitution take place no later than 24th June next year. However, as I described in another post, one particular party appears to put their interpretation of party-political principles above the current crisis and a general election may be called to take place by late October. (An election campaign in DK typically, but not always, lasts three weeks.) The party in question will, if the PM does not call a general election on the day the Parliament opens for the season, that's on Tuesday 4th October, will call for a vote of no confidence to the government. It is almost a given thing that the opposition will vote in favor and that means the government must step back and call a general election.
Given the current problems - and they are as you know legio - the voters have punished that party harshly in the opinion polls!

- Anyway, as the DRF invariably attend the opening of the Parliament each year, they may actually be in for some drama in the opening speech of the PM this year!
So I doubt we are going to see them nod off. It is a sport among photographers to catch the DRF and members of the Parliament looking dead-bored while the PM gives the opening speech. :D

The serious newspaper Jyllands Posten also cover this gala, well up front, because it's about politics. Their choice of photos from the guests at the gala is telling I think:
https://jyllands-posten.dk/indland/...ethe-blev-hjemme-da-politikere-fejrede-hende/

The current PM, Mette Frederiksen, with her husband. - Whether you agree with her politically or not, I think we can expect to see much more of her. Also in an top international position. She sure has experience in crisis management! From Trump and Greenland, to Corona, to Brexit being finalized (UK used to be our 6th largest export market) to the war in Ukraine breaking out, to the current economic and energy crisis.
https://billeder.jyllands-posten.dk...TERNATES/master-3_2/202209231915385071000-jpg

M&F looking regal and genuinely convincing as "the regent couple."
https://billeder.jyllands-posten.dk...master-free/20220923-193625-l-6192x4128ma-jpg

Inger Støjberg.
Who over the next years is almost guaranteed to have a very strong influence in Danish politics - and she hasn't even been elected to Parliament yet! Especially if power changes to the opposition in the next general election.
https://billeder.jyllands-posten.dk...master-free/20220923-191518-l-4608x3072ma-jpg

Pernille Rozenkrantz-Theil.
The Minister for Education - who BTW was breathing heavily down the necks of the board at Herlufsholm, even before Christian was pulled out.
An intelligent and pretty opportunistic woman, she hasn't had the most heavy posts as minister yet, but who knows? In ten years she may be a serious contender as PM.
https://billeder.jyllands-posten.dk...master-free/20220923-184722-l-6192x4128ma-jpg

No Joachim and Marie today. Pity as also HM can't attend. With a 3 week election campaign you can be very lucky. Here it goes for almsot the entire year where an election takes place. of course not the official one

A wonderful photo of M&F.

And that's probably how QMII contracted Corona for the second time. - Shaking hands and sitting down, in breathing distance of the many many guests at her jubilee.

Eml

Beautiful pictures of all three. Very regal indeed - even the colour of the dresses is very regal!

Just saw a video on IG of the guests doing a folk dance...it looked like great fun.

Just saw a video on IG of the guests doing a folk dance...it looked like great fun.

That would be the Les Lanciers.
It's actually a reinvented menuet with four couples. Much more recent than the renaissance menuets and also simpler. As such it's a mix of a quadrille (which is a common way of dancing folk dance in DK, and as such the basics were well known when Les Lanciers was introduced) and a menuet.
What is so particular about the Danish version of Les Lanciers, is that the dancers call out the movements and clap. (Something to do with a lot of beer, methinks...)
Despite the French name it's a wholly Danish dance. Many high schools teach their students how to dance it - and perform for the rest of the school.

QMII, who is a festive person, always insists on this dance being danced at these non-state galas.
I think and hope the tradition will continue with M&F.

Before the dance begins one among the guests is sought out by an adjutant, to dance with QMII. - Of course they know in advance who can dance this dance well enough without falling over their ow legs.
The rest of the DRF members spread themselves among the dancers, partly to mingle with the guests, and partly to have at least one in each quadrille who has routine in dancing this dance.

First a menuet from the baroque:

Then a Danish Kvadrille. Wearing constumes from around 1710 +/- 25 years:

And finally a quadrille a la Les Lanciers:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom