Celebratory events following the Accession of King Frederik X: January 2024 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fantastic event. They look very at ease.
another gallery

some great information on the exhibit
Mary looking at their wedding attire

the bracelet he wore on his proclamation day was a gift from his kids

"Reveals special gift for Queen Mary
BT's representative, Silla Bakalus, says that many of the objects in the exhibition are private and have not been exhibited before.
Among other things, the collection includes a special gift for Queen Mary in the form of a dress. In the display case, it says that Frederik gave Mary the dress the first time he visited her in Australia.
The dress is described as a 'Danish summer dress'."

Wonderful photos posted here with explanations.

Love seeing the photos of the little go-cart, his personal diary from the Sirius expedition. There are even illustrations done by Queen Margrethe for Lord of the Rings. A turtle figurine that belonged to Queen Ingrid.

So nice to see the kings aunt,Princess Benedikte present today for the exhibition.
Indeed lovely that Frederik's aunt made it a priority to attend together with her nephew and his wife!

The Amalienborg Museum experiences record visitor numbers with the new exhibition "Frederik 10 - King of Tomorrow"

No surprise. People are curious about our new Regent Couple and it's the Easter-week, so grandparents drag their grandchildren to all sorts of things.

The first official gala portrait of Their Majesties The King and Queen will be published tomorrow

And I guess the Queen will wear the emeralds as someone recently posted on X that when she visited Rosenborg they were out with a notice that they are in use by HM Queen Mary

Last edited:
The first official gala portrait of Their Majesties The King and Queen will be published tomorrow

How exciting! Cannot wait! Based on the fact that apparently recently the Emerald Set was not being shown at Rosenberg - it seems we will see Queen Mary in the Emerald set tomorrow. (Oh and lovely photo of Queen Ingrid and King Frederik 9 included in the DRF IG post.

Oh, I can't wait! I have to imagine it's especially exciting for Mary's family. The first gala picture of their daughter/sister/auntie dressed to the nines as the Queen of Denmark. If she were my sister, I'd be showing it to everyone I met. LOL

BTW, wasn't QMargrethe's first gala portrait as queen show her in the emerald parure? Maybe that's why Mary chose it.

Oh, I can't wait! I have to imagine it's especially exciting for Mary's family. The first gala picture of their daughter/sister/auntie dressed to the nines as the Queen of Denmark. If she were my sister, I'd be showing it to everyone I met. LOL

BTW, wasn't QMargrethe's first gala portrait as queen show her in the emerald parure? Maybe that's why Mary chose it.
The first portrait of QMII after she became Queen was in the pearl poire.

The 3 new - wonderful! - portraits have been released this morning:

In high quality:

The look good, but I have to say that I don't like the necklace of the emerald Parure worn over the gown as makes it difficult to see because the dress color is also green. Would perhaps have better worked with a gown in a different color-

The necklace indeed disappears due to the green lace. I am looking forward to seeing HM with this parure soon, the official portrait feels more underwhelming than I expected, perhaps due to the amount of unnecessary photoshop. The diamonds feel 'dead'. I think it will look a lot better when we get normal images of HM with this parure, which hopefully be soon.

The big diamond (and ruby?) star that King Frederik is wearing must be the one that his mother has worn for such a long time?

Im disappointed they chose Steen Evald, his photos are to me always stiff and with to much photoshop and lightening and look somehow "dead". They lack the magic of the first portraits of Queen Margrethe taken by Rigmor Mydtskov. The tiara suits her dark hair, but I think the jewels would have come more to their own if she had chosen another color on the gown, and not put the necklace on top of the busy lace.

It's not the best photo of them I've seen, and that's a little disappointing. Mary's face in particular looks stiff, for lack of a better description. A softer, more natural smile might have helped. Also, that gown doesn't do the emeralds any favors.

I really like Queen Mary in this portrait. She looks like a Renaissance queen.
King Frederik, yeah he looks great, but there is after all only so much you can do and resemble with uniform, hence why my focus is on Queen Mary.

I think the photos are fantastic! Mary with the crown jewels reserved for Queens, and why wouldn't she? and with the RFO portrait of King Frederik.

"This picture is about the royal couple, about the king and the queen, and not about Frederik and Mary," he says and ends with praise for the picture.
"It's a really nice and good picture of both of them, and it's recognizable. And then it is with a neutral background. It is not a background that takes the attention away from the two – but a beautiful and palatial background.'"

The big diamond (and ruby?) star that King Frederik is wearing must be the one that his mother has worn for such a long time?

Here is more information on the King's orders (elephant and stars) and uniform.
"The reigning monarch in Denmark at all times is Lord of the Order of the two royal Danish knightly orders, the Order of the Elephant and the Order of the Dane. The king therefore wears on the portrait for the first time a number of historical items that kings - and most recently Her Majesty Queen Margrethe - have worn during their reigns.

I think the tiara looks great on Mary. I didnt even realize there was a necklace before others started to point out that it is kind of absorbed by the colour of the dress.
The photos are very artificial, too much photoshop.

I also found the pictures underwhelming. Don’t get me wrong, the couple looks wonderful! However I feel like we’ve seen them in pictures like this countless times over the years.

They both look wonderful! Personally, I don' think the photos look artificial or photoshopped. They look like formal official gala portraits. The Emerald set looks stunning on Queen Mary and King Frederik handsome as always in his gala military uniform. Love seeing the new family order, especially since it has only been 3 months since the change of throne....I had gotten the impression that it takes months and months to get a new family order completed. But apparently not - and so lovely to see Queen Mary wearing the diamond frame with the crown. The portrait of King Frederik is wonderful!

King Frederik, yeah he looks great, but there is after all only so much you can do and resemble with uniform, hence why my focus is on Queen Mary.
That's a great point about Mary and had not noticed it before. If you look at old photos of Queens the lace details with the jewelry was common. She looks incredibly regal. And Frederik looks very handsome. I see he is wearing the larger breast badges as well. The only thing missing is Mary getting the Order of the Dannebrog finally!

The couple looks regal - which seems to be the purpose of portraits like these.

Indeed. "the portrait can be seen hung in, among other things, state institutions, including Danish embassies and consulates throughout the world as well as on Danish vessels."
This is a formal photo with all the updo (orders, crown jewels, RFO, etc)

I agree. She looks fantastic, but Frederik in uniform, very "Kingly".

Back
Top Bottom