Title for Camilla

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"She seems well liked".

I believe he is right! :flowers:

Not to me anyway. On another note, can't wait for the next installment of his diaries.

I think that as time passes people are warming to Camilla as they see her in her own right and not through the eyes of someone else who had an axe to grind with her.

People are seeing her in the present and are making up their own minds about her NOW not what happened in the past.

Thank you for posting the article Skydragon!
My opinion: C&C for:king: &:queen3: !
_______
but now from The Times....:ermm:

The holiday battlefront

Prince Charles may have no reason to question “how green is my valet?” of his personal toothpaste squeezer, but last week he was given cause to ponder a more vexed issue. It is one that is increasingly splitting families – families vastly less wealthy and important than his own – straight down the middle.

The holiday battlefront-Comment-Columnists-Rachel Johnson-TimesOnline

Well I was wondering how long Clarence House was going to keep up the sharade of Camilla using the title HRH The Princess Consort. Oh well.

sirhon11234 said:
Well I was wondering how long Clarence House was going to keep up the sharade of Camilla using the title HRH The Princess Consort. Oh well.

The Clarence House has nothing to do with this claim, sirhon11234.
Though personally I hope it's going to be that way. :)

Quotes from the article:
Now a television documentary is to claim that the Prince of Wales is, in fact, determined to make his wife queen when he accedes to the throne. It is understood that he is intent on gaining public support so that by the time of his coronation, both will be crowned at Westminster Abbey.
Channel 4, which will show the programme Queen Camilla on May 31, claims that it will reveal the "real" relationship between the prince and the duchess.

Just another of many tabloid stories.
Maybe Prince Charles does indeed want his wife to become a Queen but the Telegraph can hardly knows what he wants and what he doesn't want.

Avalon said:
The Clarence House has nothing to do with this claim, sirhon11234.
Though personally I hope it's going to be that way. :)

Quotes from the article:

Just another of many tabloid stories.
Maybe Prince Charles does indeed want his wife to become a Queen but the Telegraph can hardly knows what he wants and what he doesn't want.

I agree Avalon and even if Charles wants Camilla to take the title of Queen, it doesn't mean that she necessarily will become Queen.

Now I think its better that Camilla become Queen because as a royalty-follower I think the title and the tradtion should be greater than the individuals that hold the titles at the moment. There have been several Princess of Wales and several Queens of England and God willing there will be many more but it won't happen if one holder of a title takes ownership of that title to the exclusion of everyone else that may have that right.

As I understand it from the programme "Panorama", Camilla will become Queen whatever is said or not as a King has a Queen and a Queen has a Prince Consort.

I believe that the "tradition" should remain so and continue on, whether anyone cares for Camilla or not. As I see it from what I've read on both the forum and in the papers, King Charles' reign will not be a popular one at that, so his consort should have her rightful title and get on with it paving the way for King William or King Henry (depending upon if William survives to be King).

HRH Kimetha said:
As I see it from what I've read on both the forum and in the papers, King Charles' reign will not be a popular one at that, so his consort should have her rightful title and get on with it paving the way for King William or King Henry (depending upon if William survives to be King).

Whether the reign of the next King will be a popular one or not you can form an opionen AFTER his reign but not NOW.

milla Ca said:
Whether the reign of the next King will be a popular one or not you can form an opionen AFTER his reign but not NOW.

Are you saying I can't forum an opinion before his reign or are you saying people can't form opinions now, but after his reign? I'm confused about your response. Or, are you talking about my response to those who say a King Charles reign will not be a popular one from "what I've seen on the forum or from what I read in the papers?"

Are we talking about opinions or judgements (whereas judgements can be noted in the HERE and NOW, where opinions are AFTER the now?

milla Ca said:

I agree. You can only judge afterwards. An unpopular Princess Beatrix became a beloved Queen. A hugely popular Prime Minister Blair became very unpopular. A hated Mayor as Giuliani can suddenly turn into 'America's Mayor'.

It indeed is nonsense to label a Reign which even has not started as 'unpopular' on beforehand.

Don't underestimate the power of the Crown. In the emotion after the death of Queen Elizabeth II, the people will initially rally around the new King. They will feel with his happiness when he helds his first grandchild in his arms. The old King, weary of mild majesty, can become a deeply beloved Sovereign. You never know.

A popular Prince William can in a few years time become the target of hatred media and of constant mockery. A haunted Camilla can suddenly receive positive press and what no one kept for possible, became true: she married the Prince of Wales and she can simply walk around with approval and well wishers and a well-willing audience.

The popular Queen can suddenly even get boo-ed, which happened last year at the opening of the Welsh Assembly. The legendary Queen Victoria has escaped three shootings, rotten vegetables was thrown against her carriage. Booing and whistling has been the Great Victoria's part.

So: let us await and see.

:flowers:

A hated Mayor as Giuliani can suddenly turn into 'America's Mayor'.
You mean President, well you are right there are many possibilites for the outcome of Charles's future reign as King.

sirhon11234 said:
You mean President, well you are right there are many possibilites for the outcome of Charles's future reign as King.

No, they meant "America's Mayor". Rudy Giuiliani wasn't that well thought-of prior to 9/11. He cleaned up NYC and was a lot tougher on street crime than his predecessors, but it wasn't until after 9/11 and people saw how he responded to it (the only way he really could), that people around the country took to him like they did and why there's a lot of people who think he could be the one to beat Hilary next year.

milla Ca said:

I think people can form a prediction of whether Charles' reign will be popular. That is speculation but pretty normal.

We won't know of course how popular the reign will be until after its over and that will be awhile from now.

And others have been right, popular princes have made unpopular Kings; as well as unpopular princes making popular Kings.

HRH Kimetha said:
As I see it from what I've read on both the forum and in the papers, King Charles' reign will not be a popular one at that,
In whose opinion, most of the people on these forums are not British. As I am sure you know, the media 'select' the type of person to ask in surveys, (either from their dress, colour of skin, age, etc).
Henri M said:
...Don't underestimate the power of the Crown. In the emotion after the death of Queen Elizabeth II, the people will initially rally around the new King. They will feel with his happiness when he helds his first grandchild in his arms. The old King, weary of mild majesty, can become a deeply beloved Sovereign...
Very well said. :flowers:

Skydragon said:
In whose opinion, most of the people on these forums are not British. As I am sure you know, the media 'select' the type of person to ask in surveys, (either from their dress, colour of skin, age, etc).

Non-British members of this forum are entitled to express their opinions too, you know.;) As you said, a media organisation wanting a particular answer to a poll will know how to get it. However, there's still a significant number of people who believe that William should become king after the present reign is over, regardless of whether Charles is still alive, and that does give a clue that Charles isn't as popular as he might be. Mind you, with all the publicity of the William-Kate breakup and the photos of the nightclubbing, the public perception of William as the great saviour of the monarchy might be on less firm ground than it was.

Elspeth said:
Non-British members of this forum are entitled to express their opinions too, you know.;) As you said, a media organisation wanting a particular answer to a poll will know how to get it. However, there's still a significant number of people who believe that William should become king after the present reign is over, regardless of whether Charles is still alive, and that does give a clue that Charles isn't as popular as he might be. Mind you, with all the publicity of the William-Kate breakup and the photos of the nightclubbing, the public perception of William as the great saviour of the monarchy might be on less firm ground than it was.

I think that whole "savior of the monarchy" tag was applied after his mother's death and there was a huge swell of grief and sympathy for both him and his brother. After the divorces and the other such problems, people looked to him as a member of the younger generation of royals to set a tone for the family when he got older, married and eventually became King. People should have known that when people grow up, they make mistakes (all the nightclubbing, photos of drunken boob-grasping) and they have to learn from them. That doesn't mean he can't be an influential person as King, but they should ease up on that a bit.

Yes, Prince Charles and Camilla and their aides still have much work to increase their acceptance of course. People have held very high expectations even some unrealistic expectations about royals unfortunately. Those people just forget that Charles used to be the white hope of the monarchy and William may face similar difficulties or more difficulties than his father does. Time will tell and we just wait and see.

Elspeth said:
Non-British members of this forum are entitled to express their opinions too, you know.;)
I think you may have misunderstood my point, which was that although HRH Kimetha may have seen and read a variety of opinions on this forum and in the media, when it comes down to it, it will only be the British (whether they are in Britain, Australia, NZ, Canada etc) whose opinion and judgement will count.
...there's still a significant number of people who believe that William should become king after the present reign is over, regardless of whether Charles is still alive, and that does give a clue that Charles isn't as popular as he might be. Mind you, with all the publicity of the William-Kate breakup and the photos of the nightclubbing, the public perception of William as the great saviour of the monarchy might be on less firm ground than it was.
General opinion is already turning to Charles & Camilla here in the UK. The crowds that now greet them are growing, more causes are asking Camilla to become their patron and all this after only 2 years!

As you say, William lost many 'fans' over the media's reason for the breakup!

Sister Morphine said:
I think that whole "savior of the monarchy" tag was applied after his mother's death and there was a huge swell of grief and sympathy for both him and his brother. After the divorces and the other such problems, people looked to him as a member of the younger generation of royals to set a tone for the family when he got older, married and eventually became King. People should have known that when people grow up, they make mistakes (all the nightclubbing, photos of drunken boob-grasping) and they have to learn from them. That doesn't mean he can't be an influential person as King, but they should ease up on that a bit.

IIRC The Time frontpage asking if William was the 'savious of the monarchy' came out when he was 12, shortly after the separation and before either the divorce or death.

Charles reportedly making a bid for Queen Camilla

Since she wed her Prince over two years ago, the Duchess of Cornwall has taken her royal duties with aplomb and has succeeded in gaining the respect, and gradually the affection of the British people.

Charles reportedly making a bid for 'Queen Camilla'

Skydragon said:
I think you may have misunderstood my point, which was that although HRH Kimetha may have seen and read a variety of opinions on this forum and in the media, when it comes down to it, it will only be the British (whether they are in Britain, Australia, NZ, Canada etc) whose opinion and judgement will count.

Depends what you mean about how it'll count. I don't see public opinion, in Britain or anywhere else, overriding the succession laws. Even if William is far more popular than Charles, Charles will succeed his mother.

General opinion is already turning to Charles & Camilla here in the UK. The crowds that now greet them are growing, more causes are asking Camilla to become their patron and all this after only 2 years!

As you say, William lost many 'fans' over the media's reason for the breakup!

I'd gathered that that was the case; however, I don't know that relative popularity is that big a factor. If it were, we might as well just give up on monarchy and go with an elected head of state - and I'd really hate to see that happen.

Elspeth said:
Depends what you mean about how it'll count. I don't see public opinion, in Britain or anywhere else, overriding the succession laws. Even if William is far more popular than Charles, Charles will succeed his mother.
The majority of posters on this forum seem to be American, therefore it would, IMO, be hard to base the opinion that Charles reign will not be popular on views posted on this forum.
I don't know that relative popularity is that big a factor. If it were, we might as well just give up on monarchy and go with an elected head of state - and I'd really hate to see that happen.
That was a reply to Charles not being popular, if after 2 years they have managed to change some of their subjects minds, then give it another 2 and they will be riding higher still.

The succession is not popularity contest - although from the media you would think it was!

Many people were not happy with the thought of Edward, Prince of Wales, taking over from Victoria. However, during his 9 year reign, he became very popular bringing something different to the job.

George V had only become heir as an adult, when his older brother died. He had been in the Navy since little more than a child, and was very reserved and shy. However, he and his Queen (fomerly Princess Mary of Teck) were much beloved during a reign of 35 years.

However, Edward VIII, who had been a very popular Prince of Wales, caused great concern during his less than one year reign. Who knows, if he had agreed to give up Wallis Simpson, he may have continued as Monarch for many years and become popular again.

There was great concern when Edward's brother succeeded him as George VI (he was actually called Albert, and had a younger brother called George, but decided - as monarchs can - to be known as George in the interests of continuing and stability). Albert was extremely reserved and had a very noticeable stammer. Many people in the Government, and even the Court, though the job would be too much for him. However, although with some dismay, he succeeded in according with the laws of succession. With the help of his wife (the former Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, later The Queen Mother) he mastered his stammer, and they were greatly loved figureheads during the War years.

I am sure that Charles will bring his own qualities to the position and that he will be popular. To suggest that because many people were devoted to, even obsessed with, Princess Diana, he will be a 'bad king' or that Camilla should never be Queen if Charles is King, is putting tabloid interpretation on the situation. He is next in line and there is no precedent to 'jump' to a younger person just because the media think he has more 'star' (or 'soap opera'!) quality. That is not the nature of the job. William is still learning and maturing and will be all the better for it when his time ultimately comes.

(On the suggestion that it is only British people who can have an opinion on this - I think perhaps those people outside the UK do not get as complete a picture of Charles - or any other member of the RF - as those living here. The media exposure they will mostly be seeing will largely be of the tabloid variety. This makes it difficult to get a rounded view. I feel it isn't that they 'can't' have a view, just that it might not be such an informed view.)

Last edited:
Alison20 said:
On the suggestion that it is only British people who can have an opinion on this - I think perhaps those people outside the UK do not get as complete a picture of Charles - or any other member of the RF - as those living here. The media exposure they will mostly be seeing will largely be of the tabloid variety. This makes it difficult to get a rounded view. I feel it isn't that they 'can't' have a view, just that it might not be such an informed view.
I was not suggesting that only the British can have an opinion or indeed that other posters, from other countries can't have a view. :rolleyes: Nor was I suggesting that it is just a popularity contest, only that whatever some posters on here may want to believe, whether we abolish the monarchy tomorrow, Charles and Camillas popularity has grown in the UK and beyond.

The majority of people who express a view on forums like this, are not from the UK and only have the media and other posters (normally non Brits) opinions to base their opinion on. :frazzled:

Last edited:
Yes, Skydragon. I agree with you - I was only trying to put it another way as someone who responded to you did, IMO, seem to get your point. :)

Sorry - there was a 'not' missing!! Great confusion, Skydragon. I really should do my postings a little earlier in the evening!!

Last edited:
Alison20 said:
I was only trying to put it another way as someone who responded to you did, IMO, seem to get your point. :)
Confusion reigns. :king3:

Well, never mind - let's try to get past the confusion into the clear light of day and all that good stuff.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom