The Queen and Canada: Residences, Governor General, etc...

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I laugh at the idea of Shatner as GG. The facebook campaign was started probably by trekkies. Besides, he has spent most of his career is the USA and because of his personality, would be probably taught how to behave as a GG.

I like Rick Hansen as GG, but I do not think he is fluent in French and French Canadians will object to that.

The future of the Crown

On the Queen's official birthday, in the wake of a number of Crown-related issues that have arisen in the recent past, and a month before the Queen's visit, it is fitting that we reflect on the Crown's continuing role in Canada.

Governor-General’s next role will be special envoy for UN

Governor-General Michaëlle Jean will take on a new job at the United Nations once her term ends in September.
She will take an appointment as the special envoy for the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, a high-profile role that will extend her humanitarian efforts.
Her main goal will be to fight poverty and boost literacy rates in her home country of Haiti, where she will travel frequently. She will also aim to raise international funds for the nation, which was all but shattered by an earthquake in January.
Governor-General’s next role will be special envoy for UN - The Globe and Mail

Governor general named UNESCO envoy to Haiti

"She will be in a position to further advance the international community's response to the urgent needs in Haiti as it recovers from January's devastating earthquake," Prime Minister Stephen Harper said in a statement.

"The appointment is also a tribute to Canada's leadership role in rebuilding Haiti," he said. AFP: Governor general named UNESCO envoy to Haiti

Canadian Heritage - News Releases / Statements

The Honourable James Moore, Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages, today announced that the Government of Canada has commissioned a new portrait of Her Majesty The Queen that will be unveiled during the Diamond Jubilee in 2012.

I'm looking forward to seeing this. I hope that it will be a traditional portrait.:flowers:

Canadian Heritage - News Releases / Statements

The Honourable James Moore, Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages, today announced that the Government of Canada has commissioned a new portrait of Her Majesty The Queen that will be unveiled during the Diamond Jubilee in 2012.

Excellent! I though the already announced bust for the Senate lobby turned out to be the Diamond Jubilee portrait that was rumoured earlier this year. Fantastic news!

Also, here is a nice article about HM receiving the Lieutenant Governor of New Brunswick this morning:

N.B. lieutenant-governor took unique path to Buckingham Palace

What a nice article indeed! The Lieutenant-Governor is from an area not terribly far north of where I live.

Last edited by a moderator:
Governor General Michaelle Jean marked Canada Day by visiting the Canadian pavilion at the World Expo 2010 in Shanghai on July 1, 2010. She was accompanied by her husband and daughter.

Looking wonderful in her red and white outfit:
Image gallery

Two red and white outfits, I prefer the Queen's outfit, but GG Michaelle's hat.

There was a comment in an article, perhaps the one posted here, that an aboriginal wasn't likely to become GG because a GG needs to be bilingual. But I was thinking, aren't the Meti of partly French background? Surely some of them would be bilingual.:ermm:

There was a comment in an article, perhaps the one posted here, that an aboriginal wasn't likely to become GG because a GG needs to be bilingual. But I was thinking, aren't the Meti of partly French background? Surely some of them would be bilingual.:ermm:

To be a Metis one must have both Native & European (be it French, English or Scottish it doesn't matter) ancestors.
While it is true that many Metis from the Prairies are partially of French background, most of them speak English. Rare are those who can claim fluency in French since the 'métissage'/miscegenation occured a long ago. Over the years people tended to speak less and less French and this is true everywhere French Canadians settled, most of their descendants can't speak the language of their ancestors since nothing was done to protect it in other provinces (and in the US). Metis living where French is used will speak French (Quebec and New Brunswick), otherwise they will - with only few exceptions - speak English. They are like any other citizen - being of German background doesn't mean you speak German.

Aboriginal or not the only thing that matters is your bilingualism. The committee also tries to alternate each time between French and English (Adrienne Clarkson ---> English speaker, Michaëlle Jean ---> a Francophone, David Johnston ---> English speaker and so on).

I must agree David Johnston seems a good choice even though I don't understand why someone would want to be GG, it seems useless to me.

David Johnston certainly is certainly well-qualified for the post of GG, his constitutional expertise will certainly come in handy if Canada is going to face a relatively long period of minority governments.

New GG may lack Jean's star power but few argue against appointment

OTTAWA — Canada's next governor general's credentials are extraordinary, but will David Johnston have the same charisma and common touch that made Michaelle Jean an international darling?
A squeaky-clean academic with an extensive background in securities regulation and corporate law, the University of Waterloo president's CV is impressive.
Read more: New GG may lack Jean's star power but few argue against appointment

Canada's Governor General Designate David Johnston (C) poses with family members after delivering a statement in the Senate foyer on Parliament Hill in Ottawa July 8, 2010: Image Gallery

News clips:
New GG chosen
Opinion on next GG

A splendid choice and it looks as though the Vice-Regal office is in the safest of hands as well. I hope he has a fine and trouble free term in the office too.

If only they could have a Knight/Dame of the Order Of Canada it would be the perfect way to thank the outgoing Governor-General, alas it is not to be due to political short-sightedness some years ago.

Congratulations to Mr Johnston. I am sure he will be an excellent Governor-General.

Our next governor general inspired a character in Love Story

In the preface to Love Story — the 1970, um, love story by the late Erich Segal — is the standard disclaimer that it’s a work of fiction. Names, characters and incidents are products of the author’s imagination. Any resemblance to real life is “entirely coincidental.”

Not so with character Davey Johnston, captain of the Harvard hockey team, who plays on the same line as Oliver Barrett IV, a rich-kid law student who falls improbably in love with Jenny Cavilleri, a working class artsy type who improbably dies.
Our next governor general inspired a character in Love Story - thestar.com

Back
Top Bottom