Education of Lady Louise and the Earl of Wessex

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's not exactly what the DM article says. It refers to her LinkedIn profile which apparently states that she is interested in a career in the military, diplomacy or law. So, it is one of three options thatshe is currently considering. Unfortunately, I reached my limit for LinkedIn profile searches for this month, so hopefully someone else can verify:

That's not exactly what the DM article says. It refers to her LinkedIn profile which apparently states that she is interested in a career in the military, diplomacy or law. So, it is one of three options thatshe is currently considering. Unfortunately, I reached my limit for LinkedIn profile searches for this month, so hopefully someone else can verify:
Looks like she either removed the profile, or made her profile private

Ah, the mysterious source strikes again!

This was first reported in The Sun, so I'd take it with a very large pinch of salt! Being into the Army Cadets doesn't necessarily mean that you want to join the Army. We know that Louise is keen on amateur dramatics, but no-one's suggesting that she's got her sights set on a career in the West End!

I've just come across a picture of Lady Louise in her uniform from the St. Andrew's University Training Corps.

I must confess it made quite emotional, knowing how difficult her arrival into the world was, her dear late grandfather must be smiling from above.

Edit: here's a post

Last edited:
I've just come across a picture of Lady Louise in her uniform from the St. Andrew's University Training Corps.

I must confess it made quite emotional, knowing how difficult her arrival into the world was, her dear late grandfather must be smiling from above.

Is it known if the Lady Louise has any kind of Army bursary or scholarship? If so, that would create an obligation to serve after she graduates, wouldn't it?

Last edited:
I do not know about a bursary or similar but it is not unusual in the UK for Senior schools or Universities to have cadets, or even just local corps not specially linked to an education facility. As far as I am aware joining one of these groups does not put you under obligation to enlist, although it probably wouldn't do you any harm in your application if that was your career path.

I do not know about a bursary or similar but it is not unusual in the UK for Senior schools or Universities to have cadets, or even just local corps not specially linked to an education facility. As far as I am aware joining one of these groups does not put you under obligation to enlist, although it probably wouldn't do you any harm in your application if that was your career path.
Thanks, Hallo girl.

I am aware that joining the University Officers' Training Corps in a British university does not create an obligation to join the armed forces after graduation, even though members of the corps receive formal military instruction not unlke the Reserve Officers' Training Corps (or ROTC) in US universities. Unlike ROTC in the USA, however, candidates from UOTC who decide to join the army after graduation still have to go through the full 44-week officers' commissioniung course at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst, (RMAS) on top of any previous military instruction that they might have gotten during their time in UOTC.

The point that was not clear to me is that, from the Army website, it appears that, if you are a recipient of an Army bursary as an undergraduate student, then there is an obligation to join the RMAS after graduation. In fact, from what I understand, to qualify for a bursary, you have to pass the Army officer selection board first and then defer your entry into the RMAS until you graduate from university. While attending university, it appears that you have to join the UOTC though. Can the British members confirm that?

I don't think Lady Louise has gone through the Army Selection Board, or else that would have been probably mentioned in the press. She is also attending university in Scotland where, as I understand, the universities are tuition-free, unlike in England, so she wouldn't have the same incentive to apply for an Army bursary as she would have if she were studying in England.

In any case, I must say that am surprised that Lady Louise is considering a military career as a private citizen (as opposed to a working royal or a crown princess) and I am curious to see what decsion she will make in that respect in the future.

Thanks, Hallo girl.

I am aware that joining the University Officers' Training Corps in a British university does not create an obligation to join the armed forces after graduation, even though members of the corps receive formal military instruction not unlke the Reserve Officers' Training Corps (or ROTC) in US universities. Unlike ROTC in the USA, however, candidates from UOTC who decide to join the army after graduation still have to go through the full 44-week officers' commissioniung course at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst, (RMAS) on top of any previous military instruction that they might have gotten during their time in UOTC.

The point that was not clear to me is that, from the Army website, it appears that, if you are a recipient of an Army bursary as an undergraduate student, then there is an obligation to join the RMAS after graduation. In fact, from what I understand, to qualify for a bursary, you have to pass the Army officer selection board first and then defer your entry into the RMAS until you graduate from university. While attending university, it appears that you have to join the UOTC though. Can the British members confirm that?

I don't think Lady Louise has gone through the Army Selection Board, or else that would have been probably mentioned in the press. She is also attemding university in Scotland where, as I understand, the universities are tuition-free, unlike in England, so she wouldn't have the same incentive to apply for an Army bursary as she would have if she were studying in England.

In any case, I must say that am surprised that Lady Louise is considering a military career as a private citizen (as opposed to a working royal or a crown princess) and I am curious to see what decsion she will make in that respect in the future.
I see where you are coming from now, yes if your university fees ( which can be costly)are being paid by the military then that could be a different kettle of fish.

Thanks, Hallo girl.

I don't think Lady Louise has gone through the Army Selection Board, or else that would have been probably mentioned in the press. She is also attending university in Scotland where, as I understand, the universities are tuition-free, unlike in England, so she wouldn't have the same incentive to apply for an Army bursary as she would have if she were studying in England.

For information tuition fees are only free for Scottish residents, English and foreign students pay fees.

Back
Top Bottom