The Princess of Asturias Current Events and News Thread

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gosh, I remember being here when she was born, and now she's doing official visits all by herself. To quote the Rolling Stones, "what a drag it is getting old." LOL

Nicely done, Leonor! No doubt she's made her parents very, very proud.
When I viewed today's videos and photos, I was remembering her cheerful and enthusiastic wave when she began pre-school. Here she is now undertaking her first official foreign visit.

Brava! Leonor! She did fantastic. She needs to work on pacing herself in her speeches. Portugal was a perfect choice for a first visit.

If I am not mistaken this is her first foreign order right?

Thanks for all the articles and pictures of the event! I brought to mind being here in the old RF or at Netty's Royal Blue page, 19 years ago when Letizia and Felipe walked out of the hospital with her in their arms. And now she is the future of a monarchy still recovering from the antics of her grandfather.

Which also brings to mind that Leonor and the President of Portugal are reacting to one another like grandpa being visited by his granddaughter. It's really touching to see him smile as he shows her his country, and she seems so happy to be guided by him as if he was family.

That was a good practice run for Leonor. No doubt very educational and a great boost for her confidence.
Also, I doubt it hurts her general standing in the population and as such the standing of the Spanish Royal Family.

Leonor really rushes through speeches which takes away credibility from what she's saying.

Leonor really rushes through speeches which takes away credibility from what she's saying.

I think that's a bit harsh. This is her first official "assignment" as the future queen, and she doesn't have a lot of experience speaking in public. It's natural that she might sound rushed or maybe a little discomfited. Given time and more opportunities to give speeches, she'll sound more confident.

She already has charisma, intelligence, beauty and exceptional manners. If she actually has to work on something further and isn't perfectly set to crown princess at the age of 18, that's not such a bad thing.

Additionally, she happens to have an ex-newscaster mother who can no doubt give her some additional reminders about delivery.

No it's just a remark. Of course she'll still grow in so many ways and develop her own style. I know she's only just 18, still a giggly girl in some ways, and very seriously invested in others. As I say, I'm just neutrally remarking on what I see, not putting her down.

I am blown away by Leonor. Beauty, brains and unbelievable poise for a girl of only 18! 😀

ETA: I just watched her speech and I agree that she was speaking too quickly..I am sure it was down to nerves as one could hear her breathing audibly throughout. Even so, she is/was very impressive taking into account her youth and the fact that this is her first official visit solo. And there is no one better equipped to learn breathing and pacing from than her mom Letizia.😉

Last edited:
I know Leonor speaks fast but I am curious how native Castellano speakers judge her pace because she definitely reminds me of the rapid-fire way Madrileños speak :D

Apparently, the public is not allowed to touch Leonor's waist or back.

It's one thing to touch, another to grab, especially if the bodyguard can't see if that person has something in the hand... what if she stabs her?

The event was in Catalonia, where the independentists carry out many campaigns against the Crown, there are demonstrations and they burn photos of the King or guillotine dolls with his face. Therefore, the level of security around the Royal Family is very strict.

I know Leonor speaks fast but I am curious how native Castellano speakers judge her pace because she definitely reminds me of the rapid-fire way Madrileños speak :D

I recall from my childhood (I'm 63 now) family members that I could not understand a word of what they said when we visited them! Depending on where are you from in Spain your accent is as diverse as the ones not just in England, but in London itself.

Leonor is still a teenager and she speaks just like anyone her age trying to make a good impression but still nervous to do speeches surrounded by people twice or thrice her age.

In due time she will get a handle of it and pace it down. And I can't wait for her next overseas adventure, the more she goes out to represent Spain the more confidence she will acquire in her speech delivery.

It's one thing to touch, another to grab, especially if the bodyguard can't see if that person has something in the hand... what if she stabs her?

The event was in Catalonia, where the independentists carry out many campaigns against the Crown, there are demonstrations and they burn photos of the King or guillotine dolls with his face. Therefore, the level of security around the Royal Family is very strict.
Please watch the video. No one grabbed the Princess of Asturias. The security guards were in front and behind the Princess so they could see what is in their hands. It is evident that the Princess can touch bystanders and fans for a group picture, but they are not allowed to touch her.

Please watch the video. No one grabbed the Princess of Asturias. The security guards were in front and behind the Princess so they could see what is in their hands. It is evident that the Princess can touch bystanders and fans for a group picture, but they are not allowed to touch her.

When you navigate some of the links posted in here, and scroll to see messages in Spanish from some sectors in Spain, you'll read the amount of vitriol and violence directed toward all members of Felipe's family. One I saw yesterday, from a link in here toward a twitter board, had two senior ladies, approx in her 60s-70s spewing such anger toward Leonor you would think she was the incarnation of Franco, Hitler and Mussolini all at once. Most of it is recycled propaganda from extremist groups that hope to depose the government to install mini local dictators.
But the comments toward Leonor since she turned 18 are to incite aggression and she has to be protected 24/7 by anyone fixated to accomplish something by these violent groups we have from corner to corner.

When you navigate some of the links posted in here, and scroll to see messages in Spanish from some sectors in Spain, you'll read the amount of vitriol and violence directed toward all members of Felipe's family. One I saw yesterday, from a link in here toward a twitter board, had two senior ladies, approx in her 60s-70s spewing such anger toward Leonor you would think she was the incarnation of Franco, Hitler and Mussolini all at once. Most of it is recycled propaganda from extremist groups that hope to depose the government to install mini local dictators.
But the comments toward Leonor since she turned 18 are to incite aggression and she has to be protected 24/7 by anyone fixated to accomplish something by these violent groups we have from corner to corner.

I agree 1000 percent. However that was not the case in the videos. The Princess is very popular and has alot of support and enthusiasm from many people. Not everyone is out to get her. If the Princess' security guards have scanned bystanders, can see their hands and obviously feel safe enough for her to be surrounded on both sides by fans there is no reason they should not be able to touch her.

I would never dream of touching someones waist or back that I didn't know personally and even at that I still wouldn't.
I would have thought that would be common sense?
There are always protocols and security associated with meeting royalty.

I would never dream of touching someones waist or back that I didn't know personally and even at that I still wouldn't.
Like most people you do it without realizing subconsciously when taking a group photo!

I have seen the video, and the only thing I see is a bodyguard doing his job... Leonor is the future Head of State of Spain, and in a territory where they know there may be hostile radicals, they must take all measures.

When there is a crowd of people spontaneously gathering in the street, they cannot check one by one, so they must react quickly to any gesture that they may consider excessive or dangerous. When the Royal Family approach and mix with large groups of people is a moment of tension where they must be very alert because at any moment there may be an incident, from something dangerous to a push that causes falls. Leonor and Sofía are young, have little experience and probably still have to develop reflexes to mark the limits more in front of people.

I have seen the video, and the only thing I see is a bodyguard doing his job... Leonor is the future Head of State of Spain, and in a territory where they know there may be hostile radicals, they must take all measures.

When there is a crowd of people spontaneously gathering in the street, they cannot check one by one, so they must react quickly to any gesture that they may consider excessive or dangerous. When the Royal Family approach and mix with large groups of people is a moment of tension where they must be very alert because at any moment there may be an incident, from something dangerous to a push that causes falls. Leonor and Sofía are young, have little experience and probably still have to develop reflexes to mark the limits more in front of people.

It is a bit extreme. The security guards were less than a foot away both in front and behind the princesses and could clearly see the hands of bystanders. That is probably why Leonor felt safe enough to initiate putting around arms around them.

The thing is that Leonor is the one initiating this contact by putting her arm around people's shoulders and backs. Therefore it can't really be considered inappropriate for them to do the same. The protocol with royalty is usually that you are not supposed to initiate touches or hugs, but if the royal initiates it, it's usually considered okay.

The security people are right, of course, to be extremely careful, but still I don't think you can blame the women in the video for reciprocating when Leonor put her arm around them.

Leonor is an 18 year old girl and only finding her feet and probably was just unaware of the risks involved and thought it was just harmless.
Hopefully someone from the Palace will advise her better.
I agree that the security personnel are only doing their job trying to protect the Princess from harms way.
Spain has a past history with terrorism and violence and one can never be too careful.

It is a bit extreme.
The bodyguards are professional police officers and civil guards and they are the ones who must judge that at all times, depending on the circumstances and the threats that only they know exist... they are the ones who risk their lives and those who defend lives.

They simply removed that woman's hand, they didn't tell her or do anything else... you are really decontextualizing and exaggerating the situation. The woman understood perfectly and even apologized, and everyone with a smile.

The protection of authorities in Spain is a very serious and strict issue, and they generally live with more extreme security measures than many European authorities. Finding a middle point between living a reasonably normal life or being around people and ensuring safety is extremely complicated.

Exactly. And by today's social rules you just don't grab or put your hands on people especially a woman's waist or anything on her body. She is not a relative nor an old friend.

Usually I agree on 'just look, don't touch' but I am surprised that Leonor actually initiated all of this by putting her arm around a stranger. But she's young, will learn.

If someone is to blame, it is Leonor. She was the one putting her arm around at least two women. That the other person reciprocated is a logical response. Hopefully, she apologized to both women for not following security's instructions and by doing so putting these ladies in an awkward position.

It has to be very stressful for royal protection officers to monitor a walkabout, especially in light of recent world events. To say nothing of the royals themselves, who are undoubtedly regularly briefed about the dangers involved.

The women in the video don't seem outraged or offended. Instead, they seemed thrilled to get a personal photo with the future Queen.

Personally, the video mostly showed me how friendly and personable the Princess is when talking with strangers.

I don't think the problem is that they placed their hand around Leonor the problem is they placed their hand on Leonor's lower back almost on her butt. Also, the security wasn't mean about it they gently removed the hand away from Leonor no big deal.

Brava! Leonor! She did fantastic. She needs to work on pacing herself in her speeches. Portugal was a perfect choice for a first visit.

If I am not mistaken this is her first foreign order right?
I agree! She did a fantastic job. And its true she rushes herself quite a bit during her speeches. Unlike her mother who was "gifted" when it came to speak in public (who often did radio broadcasts as a kid before choosing journalism), Leonor isn't "gifted" in that specific area, like her father when he was young, so she'll need to follow her father's footsteps and work hard to improve. When there's no talent, there's hardwork, and I believe she'll get better in time.

Like most people you do it without realizing subconsciously when taking a group photo!
yes, especially when somebody within the group (in this case Leonor) starts hugging. securities reaction looks unfortunate on camera but no big deal for those involved obviously.
you can often see with the seasoned royals (or politicians) that they use techniques to appear friendly by shaking hands but doing it in a way that keeps people at a distance.

Back
Top Bottom