The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 8: April - August 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has Meghan worn Dior before? Is it her style of dress?

The navy dress at the TTC 2018, the beige caftan at the dinner in Morroco, the light grey ensemble for the Thanksgiving service for the Jubilee, the handbag when getting off the jet when coming back from NY.

There are a lot of reports in the press at the moment that Meghan is about to sign a sponsorship deal with Dior, so maybe that's the direction she's headed in. It would certainly be nice to see her doing something which doesn't involve whining and or slagging off the Royal Family.

I don't have financial means to afford anything from Dior collections but if I had and Meghan would be their "face" I would stop bying from DIOR. She definitely isn't kind of woman who could convince me to buy whatever. More opposite...

Has Meghan worn Dior before? Is it her style of dress?
Meghan wore Dior a few times as a working royal and has worn Dior since leaving the Firm. She wore multiple Dior pieces at the last Invictus Games which led me to suspect that she had some kind of commercial relationship with them then. Also Dior posted on social media that they made the suit Harry wore to the coronation.

ETA:
As far as is it her style of dress. Dior generally sells a wide range of clothes and it will not be hard to find pieces that suit Meghan or anyone else's style, plus as noted above, if she gets a multi-year contract, it will be big bucks and she would probably be willing to be flexible. Hopefully Dior will assign good stylists and tailors to her.

Another thing to bear in mind is that in addition to fashion, Dior sells accessories, cosmetics and fragrances, so the purported deal may also go beyond their fashion line.

Last edited:
Curryong, I think the telling takeaway is that an influential Media Player, Bill Simmons, called them "grifters". Not the swear word. He was mocking and insulting them.
That could be VERY consequential for them if others that have worked with them here in The States feel the same. AND start speaking out.

Plays into the allegations that they are difficult to work for (bullying). Similar to what their former Private Secretary, Samantha Cohen also said that working for them " was like dealing with teenagers ".

Another part of his comment that is problematic for Harry is that Bill Simmons says " i gotta get drunk one night and tell the story of the Zoom I had with Harry, to try and help him with a podcast idea. ITS ONE OF MY BEST STORIES ". Which in reading between the lines in his comment, tells me, that he has shared this opinion with others.

Regarding the reports that Dior and Meghan might enter a partnership, would Meghan be able to market her association with Dior under " The Duchess of Sussex" ?
Wouldn't that be a violation of the pact NOT to merchandise The Duchy Titles? I mean its one thing to have it on a Book like "The Bench" written by Meghan, The Duchess of Sussex, but if The Sussex's start signing "Endorsement Deals" using their Titles....where does it end ?

Last edited:
:previous: I doubt if there is a restriction regarding using the Duke and Duchess of Sussex titles for commercial purposes, the Sussexes are restricted from using the HRH / TRH styling.

:previous: I doubt if there is a restriction regarding using the Duke and Duchess of Sussex titles for commercial purposes, the Sussexes are restricted from using the HRH / TRH styling.

I really do hope this works out for them and everybody can move on. It is all rather wearisome now, story creation etc.

Regarding Bill Simmons and his comments about the mostly Harry. Simmons wears two hats, he is both a podcaster / commentator and an executive at Spotify. I don't have a problem with the particular thoughts he shared, but to me, it is very un-executive like to make such a comment about current or former talent.

What he said matters because he is someone who had direct contact with Harry but I don't know if what he said as part of a public rant is going to cause the Sussexes to lose more face than they already have. And as someone else pointed out, there has probably been information circulating about them in the media and entertainment community for quite some time. Also, since this is media and entertainment, I don't know if being considered difficult, lazy, stupid, narcissistic, etc. is considered a showstopper if you have high name recognition and that there is someone out there who thinks they can monetize whatever it is about you that has captured the public's interest, and in Meghan's case that someone is WME, and not only did they sign her, but top players in WME including Ari Emanuel are part of the team within WME who will be managing her.

Anyhoo, back to Bill Simmons, just like it has been stated regarding the Sussexes that now that it is out there that they will share their experiences and opinions about people and incidents for a buck and/or exposure, and as a consequence, some may not want to interact with them beyond the superficial, that same line of reasoning applies to Bill Simmons. Again as a podcaster, making highly charged comments are par for the course, but it does not bode well for an executive.

I remember years back in Jan 2020 when they were going to merchandise "Sussex Royal", everything from pencils to socks, before that was idea was shutdown. They DID takeout a trademark on it too.

Its one thing if Meghan Markle or Meghan is a or "The Brand Ambassador" for Dior. But personally, I don't think that any advertisement should be allowed to merchandise The Duchess of Sussex. Sorry, thats just my opinion.

Very slippery slope, Sure, its iconic Dior NOW. If its even true.

But what happens if a tacky, but big bucks Product wants the Duchess of Sussex's endorsement ? Or lots of Products do ?

Last edited:
I remember years back in Jan 2020 when they were going to merchandise "Sussex Royal", everything from pencils to socks, before that was idea was shutdown. They DID takeout a trademark on it too.

Its one thing if Meghan Markle or Meghan is a or "The Brand Ambassador" for Dior. But personally, I don't think that any advertisement should be allowed to merchandise The Duchess of Sussex. Sorry, thats just my opinion.

But what happens if a tacky, but big bucks Product wants the Duchess of Sussex's endorsement ? Or lots of Products do ?

So possibly not a Duchess of Sussex range , more of a clothes horse in that everything she is seen in publicly would be Dior.

Harry and Meghan have shown they’re willing to be as tacky as they need to be for a big pay day. What’s tackier than publicly slinging dirt at your own family?

Given that, I think things like the potential Dior deal are the best we can hope for. It’s lucrative and benign. Representing a reputable company also limits just how unhinged they can be - bigger names than the Sussexes have lost their endorsement deals because of controversial behaviour or comments.

Hallo Girl, yes, I wouldn't have a problem with that, at all.
Neither Harry or Meghan have the least problem with trading off their Titles as they slam, insult and mock the Family-Firm-Institution relentlessly.

I just see problems ahead if "Meghan, The Duchess of Sussex" is now rebranded as a commercial endorser, instead of a (failed) social influencer.

Smart move on Charles part to take Frogmore Cottage, no Coronation role and no invite to Trooping The Colour too. Separate The Sussex's from The Windsors in the publics mind. Especially, if Meghan is going commercial on The Duchess Title. And Harry preposterously attacks The UK Government's reputation as being "rock bottom".

Last edited:
Several posts have been removed as they involved bickering between members and added nothing to the discussion.

It's been stated several times that the Sussexes were not invited to TTC. I saw WaPo stating "royal commentators" said they were invited, but declined. Is there an authoritative version?

Then if Meghan wants to do those endorsements she will. When Andrew and Sarah got divorced, Sarah wrote books and shilled products like Weight Watchers and did so as Sarah, Duchess of York or Sarah Ferguson, Duchesss of York. What stands out to me about Sarah is that in the interviews that she did, when asked questions about the BRF, she was positive and gracious, although she was critical of courtiers. I think that the reason she is considered as having failed is that she was poor at money management and blew threw the money she made, so in my books, she is both a role model and a cautionary tale.

You certainly are not alone in disapproving of royals, whether they are blood royals or married in, engaging in commercial ventures including product endorsements. It is your right to feel that way, but I think that in the case of the Sussexes they need to develop a thick skin against those who disapprove. As we have seen recently, there are other ways for a non-working royal to make money that involve slagging off the BRF, product endorsements are preferable IMO. Also, I think that it is important that they earn their own money and not rely on the kindness of strangers / acquaintances. I think that there are plenty of good people who have been generous to royals in terms of things like letting them use their private planes, vacation homes, etc., and want nothing more that to be seen hobnobbing with a royal, and perhaps an invitation to stay at one of the castles, however I think that you also take the chance that one of these benefactors are a Jeffrey Epstein type.

I think that it is incumbent on the monarch, adult heirs and working royals to do their part to keep the BRF relevant and seen as adding value. The institution of the monarchy should be able to withstand former and tangential members engaging in bad or tacky behavior, sure they may take some hits in the short-term, but as long as the people of a given country are OK with having a monarchy, the institution should not be undermined by the actions of non-active royals.

An unapproved link has been removed. Before posting any links, please review the rules about links on the first page of the thread.

Then if Meghan wants to do those endorsements she will. When Andrew and Sarah got divorced, Sarah wrote books and shilled products like Weight Watchers and did so as Sarah, Duchess of York or Sarah Ferguson, Duchesss of York. What stands out to me about Sarah is that in the interviews that she did, when asked questions about the BRF, she was positive and gracious, although she was critical of courtiers. I think that the reason she is considered as having failed is that she was poor at money management and blew threw the money she made, so in my books, she is both a role model and a cautionary tale.

You certainly are not alone in disapproving of royals, whether they are blood royals or married in, engaging in commercial ventures including product endorsements. It is your right to feel that way, but I think that in the case of the Sussexes they need to develop a thick skin against those who disapprove. As we have seen recently, there are other ways for a non-working royal to make money that involve slagging off the BRF, product endorsements are preferable IMO. Also, I think that it is important that they earn their own money and not rely on the kindness of strangers / acquaintances. I think that there are plenty of good people who have been generous to royals in terms of things like letting them use their private planes, vacation homes, etc., and want nothing more that to be seen hobnobbing with a royal, and perhaps an invitation to stay at one of the castles, however I think that you also take the chance that one of these benefactors are a Jeffrey Epstein type.

I think that it is incumbent on the monarch, adult heirs and working royals to do their part to keep the BRF relevant and seen as adding value. The institution of the monarchy should be able to withstand former and tangential members engaging in bad or tacky behavior, sure they may take some hits in the short-term, but as long as the people of a given country are OK with having a monarchy, the institution should not be undermined by the actions of non-active royals.
Yes, I was also thinking of Sarah, Duchess of York, with Weight Watchers and books she’s written. But like Queen Claude said, she never threw the RF under the bus nor revealed private conversations. I can imagine that senior royals were frustrated/exasperated by her but she didn’t cross that line of being critical of the RF.

So I could see Meghan being a representative for Dior similarly to what Caroline or Charlotte in Monaco have done representing other labels.

But for me personally (even if I could afford Dior), I agree and feel like the poster upthread (sorry, can’t find it) who said that an endorsement from Meghan would turn her against the label. I really, really used to like and respect Oprah, for example, and read her magazine. But after that interview….I’ve not watched nor read anything from her and don’t intend to. And I’d feel the same way about any endorsement from Meghan or from Harry.

I remember speculation that Harry wearing a suit by Dior to the coronation, and making a point not to change (and to keep his medals on!) when rushing to the airport to fly home afterwards, was part of a deal that involved him being photographed in it as much as possible. The whole thing was very strange. Lots of people frequently fly to and from formal events as part of their jobs, and the norm is to wear casual clothes on the plane unless they're concerned about having time to change at their destination. Not only is it uncomfortable to fly in that get-up, but it gets needlessly wrinkled en route.

Which brings me to my second point here. If Harry was supposed to be advertising for Dior as part of a deal where he was paid in either money or free suits, someone should have explained to him that suits need to be pressed. In fairness, my own suits usually look worse than his did... but I'm not moonlighting as a suit model. This was a non-issue when they were working royals because they had people to see to that sort of thing, but I think it's going to come up a lot if they expect to get paid to show off designer clothes.

Though I will say Meghan never seems to have had that problem. She always looks put-together in whatever designer brand she's sporting. This may be another area in which they're mismatched, and Meghan's preferences just don't work well for Harry. She's probably thrilled at this sort of deal with a major designer brand, and can more than uphold her end of it. Harry seems like he genuinely doesn't care and would rather be wearing a polo and jeans from a normal brand anyway.

I remember speculation that Harry wearing a suit by Dior to the coronation, and making a point not to change (and to keep his medals on!) when rushing to the airport to fly home afterwards, was part of a deal that involved him being photographed in it as much as possible. The whole thing was very strange. Lots of people frequently fly to and from formal events as part of their jobs, and the norm is to wear casual clothes on the plane unless they're concerned about having time to change at their destination. Not only is it uncomfortable to fly in that get-up, but it gets needlessly wrinkled en route.

Which brings me to my second point here. If Harry was supposed to be advertising for Dior as part of a deal where he was paid in either money or free suits, someone should have explained to him that suits need to be pressed. In fairness, my own suits usually look worse than his did... but I'm not moonlighting as a suit model. This was a non-issue when they were working royals because they had people to see to that sort of thing, but I think it's going to come up a lot if they expect to get paid to show off designer clothes.

Though I will say Meghan never seems to have had that problem. She always looks put-together in whatever designer brand she's sporting. This may be another area in which they're mismatched, and Meghan's preferences just don't work well for Harry. She's probably thrilled at this sort of deal with a major designer brand, and can more than uphold her end of it. Harry seems like he genuinely doesn't care and would rather be wearing a polo and jeans from a normal brand anyway.

Having them discussed here on TRF is inappropriate.Awfull.
They wanted a private life,[.....]
I call for decency,plain decency in regard to couples likewise,not frumpiness,no,decency.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having them discussed here on TRF is inappropriate.Awfull.
They wanted a private life,[.....]
I call for decency,plain decency in regard to couples likewise,not frumpiness,no,decency.

Oh come now. You cannot seriously argue for a private life for people who write tell-all books, run podcasts, do the talk show circuit and attend award ceremonies on a regular basis.

If Harry and Meghan truly wanted a private life, they would seek respectable, lucrative employment with discrete companies like many other minor royals have and keep their mouths shut about the BRF and the media in general. Then perhaps, with time as wounds heal, they would be welcome at the occasional royal family function in Britain.

It's been stated several times that the Sussexes were not invited to TTC. I saw WaPo stating "royal commentators" said they were invited, but declined. Is there an authoritative version?

I assume they were invited -just like other family members- but only to attend as part of the larger group of family members (out of sight) and not as representative members of the British royal family (those participating in the event and visible on the balcony).

For those who were missing the balcony appearance of the larger family group, I thinks it's obvious why King Charles is limiting all the public balcony appearances to the core working royals. If he makes any exception at all, the door opens for the reappearance on the balcony of individuals who are controversial, add nothing to the day to day business of representing the royal family, and opens him to the accusation of being unfair. Much, much easier to stick to the smaller working group, and I don't see that changing. Everyone will get used to it, and it's probably far from the last change we'll see to the way the late Queen did things.

Meghan is not going to be a Dior Brand Ambassador 2023 and Dior has denied the deal story and the Sussexes have acknowledged that:

We should not expect to see Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, rolling through a field of peonies for a new Christian Dior perfume advert any time soon. A source at the French fashion house has denied rumours of an imminent deal, telling The Telegraph that reports crowning a new “Duchess of Dior” have left the team in Paris “nonplussed as to how the story came about”. A spokesperson for the Sussexes has also said the story is not true.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion/royals/dior-meghan-markle-prince-harry-deal-history-royals/

So it seems they have done what they've done several times before. Leaked that something important was happening, got a couple of days of good press and then acknowledged that it was wrong once the other side involved denied it.

To be honest, I couldn't really see her as a face of Dior. I personally (IMHO only) think a lot of her clothes have been ill fitting despite the fact that she's an attractive woman. Although of course that problem would hopefully disappear if she was working closely with them. But from the list of global ambassadors it doesn't seem like she's the direction they really want to go in: Jimin, Robert Pattinson, Dilraba Dilmurat, Elizabeth Debicki, Jisoo, Anya Taylor-Joy, HAERIN, Caleb McLaughlin. Although interesting they've got "The Crown's" Diana. That one might sting if WME offered Dior Meghan.

That said, I'm sure she'll be Brand Ambassador of *something* before they year is out as this was probably always part of the plan that got derailed by COVID and HM's insistence that they couldn't use "royal" for their commercial ventures. A more relaxed brand from California might suit her. And there are worse ways to make money (ie trashing his family whilst wanting all the perks) so we'll see what happens.

Last edited:
There are a lot of reports in the press at the moment that Meghan is about to sign a sponsorship deal with Dior, so maybe that's the direction she's headed in.

Could you cite an example of a press report which stated as a fact that the Duchess was about to sign a sponsorship deal, as opposed to merely speculating that she "may" or was "likely to"?

They're press reports. They're speculation. If they'd stated it as a fact, I'd have said "that's the direction" rather than "maybe that's the direction".

There are a lot of reports in the press at the moment that Meghan is about to sign a sponsorship deal with Dior, so maybe that's the direction she's headed in. It would certainly be nice to see her doing something which doesn't involve whining and or slagging off the Royal Family.

They're press reports. They're speculation. If they'd stated it as a fact, I'd have said "that's the direction" rather than "maybe that's the direction".

Thank you for clarifying. In reading your original comment, it seemed as if you were stating you had read press reports saying (paraphrased) "Meghan is about to sign a sponsorship deal with Dior", and that "maybe that's the direction" was your commentary. But, if I understand your clarification correctly, what your comment meant was that you had read press articles saying (paraphrased) "Meghan being about to sign a sponsorship deal with Dior is maybe the direction Meghan is heading in" (my emphasis), and no article actually reported a deal.

Last edited:
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 8: Apr. 2023 -

Meghan is not going to be a Dior Brand Ambassador 2023 and Dior has denied the deal story and the Sussexes have acknowledged that:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion/royals/dior-meghan-markle-prince-harry-deal-history-royals/

So it seems they have done what they've done several times before. Leaked that something important was happening, got a couple of days of good press and then acknowledged that it was wrong once the other side involved denied it.

To be honest, I couldn't really see her as a face of Dior. I personally (IMHO only) think a lot of her clothes have been ill fitting despite the fact that she's an attractive woman. Although of course that problem would hopefully disappear if she was working closely with them. But from the list of global ambassadors it doesn't seem like she's the direction they really want to go in: Jimin, Robert Pattinson, Dilraba Dilmurat, Elizabeth Debicki, Jisoo, Anya Taylor-Joy, HAERIN, Caleb McLaughlin. Although interesting they've got "The Crown's" Diana. That one might sting if WME offered Dior Meghan.

That said, I'm sure she'll be Brand Ambassador of *something* before they year is out as this was probably always part of the plan that got derailed by COVID and HM's insistence that they couldn't use "royal" for their commercial ventures. A more relaxed brand from California might suit her. And there are worse ways to make money (ie trashing his family whilst wanting all the perks) so we'll see what happens.

That’s interesting. Is it normal for someone like Dior to pointedly deny rumors? They certainly wanted it known they are not working with her. Can’t say I blame them really. How many weeks ago was that car “chase” statement along with the demands from their lawyers to Backgrid? Among other issues imo with her.

Yes- it does seem like this has happened before with the Sussexes. Something is “said” to be happening- only for that to be denied- and then they acknowledge as much.

I couldn’t see her as a face of Dior for a lot of reasons. Starting with when and where she’d be wearing their clothes. Yes- she hired a new talent agency, but nothing has come of that yet.

IA- with you. Personally I think a lot of her clothes are poorly tailored and/or don’t suit her. Sometimes she knocks it out of the park, but there are a lot of misses for someone with her resources.

Presumably- if she does land a brand ambassadorship, that can be helped…if she takes the advice. That said- I’m not taking it for granted she will get a major one. Meghan was in a much better place to get one even a year ago than she is now imo.

I certainly don’t think it helps when someone who has personally worked with them calls them “grifters.” And, as another poster pointed out: BS says it’s one of his “best stories” regarding Harry and the podcast. That means he’s been talking about them. And the story has “landed” as he intended.

Frankly, the mess Harry and Meghan have made out of their reputations, brand and the huge opportunities they’ve had in the last 3.5 years is quite staggering. Among other things, they’re also getting branded as lazy….and it’s easy to see why. Not a good thing at all.

Last edited:
Although Meghan is a very attractive woman and comfortable in front of the camera, being so short-waisted necessitates all of her clothes to be heavily altered. Unfortunately, she usually looks as if her couture clothes are wearing her, not vice versa! I also wonder, should such a high-profile endorsement come about, would other royals shun the brand themselves? They might not want to purchase a brand associated with someone who has so publicly vilified and caused heartbreak to members of a fellow royal family.

Although Meghan is a very attractive woman and comfortable in front of the camera, being so short-waisted necessitates all of her clothes to be heavily altered. Unfortunately, she usually looks as if her couture clothes are wearing her, not vice versa! I also wonder, should such a high-profile endorsement come about, would other royals shun the brand themselves? They might not want to purchase a brand associated with someone who has so publicly vilified and caused heartbreak to members of a fellow royal family.

I think you bring up a very good point Mothrpoet. Would Dior want to risk potentially losing patronage from other clients (not just royals) by making her a brand ambassador? Apparently not, as we've just heard today. However it does highlight the position other big companies have in regards to the Sussex's. Do you sign them up for the publicity that would come with them, or would their notoriety make them too hot to handle and risk the reputation of your business?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom