The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 8: April - August 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 8: Apr. 2023 -

I agree.

Moreover, if I've understood the time differences and the time it takes to fly back to California correctly, he won't get back to L.A. until late in the evening; certainly very late for a four year old to be staying up, birthday or no. So that seems a rather flimsy excuse too.

I'm not a fan of the Daily Express, but I think this piece sums it up pretty well:

https://www.express.co.uk/comment/e...n-meghan-markle-king-charles-archies-birthday

I’m reasonably certain he didn’t stay because he didn’t want to- and frankly they may not have really wanted him to stay either.

Last edited:
Let's not pretend that people wanted the couple to attend the coronation and stay for the lunch and the official picture. .etc

Harry did the right thing by showing his face and getting back to California ASAP so he can celebrate his son's birthday before it gets late.

The Mail's got pictures of him at Heathrow airport. He was still in his morning suit and wearing his medals: he didn't even hang around long enough to get changed.

I doubt we'll see the Sussexes at the Trooping the Colour. If Meghan and the children didn't come for an occasion as important as this - and they could easily have brought some birthday presents for Archie with them - then they won't come for that.

It is really sad that Harry and his nuclear family gave up all that they could have had as members of the Royal Family. In fact, as only one of two sons of the current King, Harry's profile would be even higher than that of the former Queen's younger children in the last reign. However, it looks like nothing short of "being equal to" William was good enough for Harry. Of course that is not possible.

"Yes, go go; I would not wish you back again".

Elizabeth BENNETT to George WICKHAM - Jane Austen.

Or, William, on hearing his brother has left for the airport!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's not pretend that people wanted the couple to attend the coronation and stay for the lunch and the official picture. .etc

Harry did the right thing by showing his face and getting back to California ASAP so he can celebrate his son's birthday before it gets late.

Right? Even if they were all there none of would have been included. So it is all pointless. He did the right thing in just leaving. I think the end it went successfully for all involved.

Right? Even if they were all there none of would have been included. So it is all pointless. He did the right thing in just leaving. I think the end it went successfully for all involved.

They could have had the same life as the Yorks, or the Wessexes, or the Princess Royal, which is not bad at all, or have it even better in the new King's slimmed-down RF, if they had stayed. But they convinced themselves (or someone convinced them, or both) that they were undervalued , were being "held back" and could do " so much better" in the States, where they would be superstars, make loads of money, live in a much bigger and nicer house, etc., etc.

I hope they get everything they were hoping for (maybe they will), but I can't accept them blaming others for their own choices. Spare made it very clear what the real source of Harry's frustration with royal life was.

Last edited:
They could have had the same life as the Yorks, or the Wessexes, or the Princess Royal, which is not bad at all, or have it even better in the new King's slimmed-down RF, if they had stayed. But they convinced themselves (or someone convinced them, or both) that they were undervalued , were being "held back" and could do " so much better" in the States, where they would be superstars, make loads of money, live in a much bigger and nicer house, etc., etc.

I hope they get everything they were hoping for (maybe they will), but I can't accept them blaming others for their own choices. Spare made it very clear what the real source of Harry's frustration with royal life was.

What suits some, doesn’t suit others. But to be frank I don’t think they knew what they wanted when they left.

Harry has absented himself from his birth family. We just have to accept it. Does he feel a pang when, like at the Jubilee pagent last year, he sees all the family together and all those children playing. Yeah probably a deeply visceral one. Maybe the only way he can cope is to just avoid everything. Or maybe not. He may just hate them all. Either way. He did the decent thing and showed up and no one even talked about him. The whole he left is inevitably filled in the public conscious but to his father and most particularly his brother it will never be filled. William will never have another brother.

The media will continue to speculate on the return of H&M to Britain for various family events over the next number of years. It will probably become a staple of the tabloids before trooping & Christmas every year.

Eventually of course it will stop when any remaining British interest in the story fades away. Even now I suspect most people just couldn’t care less.

Last edited:
The media will continue to speculate on the return of H&M to Britain for various family events over the next number of years. It will probably become a staple of the tabloids before trooping & Christmas every year.

Eventually of course it will stop when British interest in the story fades away. Even now I suspect most people just couldn’t care less.

I think this is the last one. They don’t question Christmas and probably not trooping…which hasn’t been held really outside a jubilee since 2019. There will be nothing to question about. Next big royal event could be 20 years away. And by them it will be a bit Harry Who…if the current status quo remains.

I think this is the last one. They don’t question Christmas and probably not trooping…which hasn’t been held really outside a jubilee since 2019. There will be nothing to question about. Next big royal event could be 20 years away. And by them it will be a bit Harry Who…if the current status quo remains.

Parts of the media see them as a cash cow so I think they'll continue to speculate for as long as they can generate any interest.

Parts of the media see them as a cash cow so I think they'll continue to speculate for as long as they can generate any interest

Which won’t be forever. How olds George? Soon as he is a teenager.

Which won’t be forever. How olds George? Soon as he is a teenager.

Yes I agree. More than likely.

They'll probably always be a market for them but it will become very small & niche.

Yes I agree. More than likely.

They'll probably always be a market for them but it will become very small & niche.

Bit like Duke and Duchess of Windsor. Every now and then they can be rolled out to give an interview.

Harry not being in a single photo with them is something or nothing for the history books. But there is still unofficial photos and videos. At least Harry being at the coronation prevents extreme speculation like Harry wants to take down the monarchy or the royal family want Harry completely stripped and gone. We can only speculate what the current situation is or which side is dictating the situation. Maybe both sides agree that this is how it’s going to be. Maybe they haven’t spoken in a while. Maybe they argued on the phone last week and didn’t share a single word at the coronation. Maybe one or both sides is starting to see how stupid the situation is and want to reconcile but think the other side will say No.

To think, Harry and his family could have done the California life while maintaining basic decent ties with his family. Instead they might have seen his plane from the balcony.

Last edited:
Harry not being in a single photo with them is something or nothing for the history books. But there is still unofficial photos and videos. At least Harry being at the coronation prevents extreme speculation like Harry wants to take down the monarchy or the royal family want Harry completely stripped and gone. We can only speculate what the current situation is or which side is dictating the situation. Maybe both sides agree that this is how it’s going to be. Maybe they haven’t spoken in a while. Maybe they argued on the phone last week and didn’t share a single word at the coronation. Maybe one or both sides is starting to see how stupid the situation is and want to reconcile but think the other side will say No.

To think, Harry and his family could have done the California life while maintaining basic decent ties with his family. Instead they might have seen his plane from the balcony.

So many people feel the sense of regret that this didn't occur, its such a massive shame. I can only hope that privately, at least, Harry might realise this and work to re-establish a kinship with those who he loved and whom loved him. :sad:

Parts of the media see them as a cash cow so I think they'll continue to speculate for as long as they can generate any interest.

He has another (pre-trial?) hearing in a few days, so the stories about his return to UK won't be over anytime soon. If he does return for the hearing, I bet there'll be one about his hypocrisy preaching about environment (even if he flies commercial).

Anyway, nothing to do with carbon footprint, I don't get why he'd fly back and fort between UK and US just within days (if he decides to be present in person for the hearing) considering the travelling time, jet lag and all that stuff.

Harry got a Dior suit made for the coronation. He couldn’t wear an old one? And nobody talks about men’s suits. He could have said “hey don’t broadcast it” but maybe it’s his way of getting a photo of himself out there, a bit of publicity buzz. It like he wanted to be there, but also not there.

“Tailoring fit for royalty.” Dior, don’t go too hard.

Come on people, let's give the sour a little sweet. Nobody is all bad or all good. As to Harry's having a new morning suit made, I can only gently remind people that the morning suit they wore at twenty, never fits at thirty and would be a giggle running up to forty.

I loved seeing Harry both coming and going surrounded by his cousins. I like the way they sandwiched him in between themselves.

I thought Harry looked great. The Dior mourning suit fit him perfectly and was rather dashing. Also dashing was his good spirits. I really couldn't bear seeing him looking glum as has been his M.O. of recent at royal events. His inclusion in the coronation went smoothly, without drama, and I am glad he was able to be there for his father.

I thought Harry looked great. The Dior mourning suit fit him perfectly and was rather dashing. Also dashing was his good spirits. I really couldn't bear seeing him looking glum as has been his M.O. of recent at royal events. His inclusion in the coronation went smoothly, without drama, and I am glad he was able to be there for his father.

I wonder if he pledged allegiance to the King.

:previous: Well, as to that, we know from those we may have seen but the vast majority in the Abbey were unseen and who knows how many of the millions watching around the world did. Actually, if they took the time to watch the ceremony it's a good chance they did.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 8: Apr. 2023 -

I found his demeanor a bit over the top. “Good spirits” isn’t the phrase I’d use. His facial expressions/demeanor when arriving at the Abbey and getting seated seemed exaggerated. Like he was trying too hard to act laid back, easy going. It certainly seemed like a contrast from everyone else’s demeanor.

Still shaking my head about Dior (foreign company) proudly announcing they’d made Prince Harry’s suit for his UK dad’s coronation.

Last edited:
With Prince Philip’s death, and then Queen Elizabeth’s death, I would have thought it sparked something in all parties. With the book and show (which I haven’t consumed), they have said what they wanted to say. And hopefully in private too. Yet, we have arrived at the coronation with what? Some weird purgatory state.

If he is going to an event like this, he is going for the purpose of the event and his father, but it seemed like they didn’t talk at all. He can’t go just to hang out with his cousins, they can do that elsewhere. Just as ridiculous as how he keeps going to London for the trial but not for family.

Are the Royal Family and Harry on the same page? Are Harry and Meghan on the same page? And therefore are the Royal Family and Meghan on the same page? As said, nobody is all bad or all good. They can learn from past mistakes, they can compromise.

:previous: Well, as to that, we know from those we may have seen but the vast majority in the Abbey were unseen and who knows how many of the millions watching around the world did. Actually, if they took the time to watch the ceremony it's a good chance they did.

A good chance, but not a certainty. I watched but I didn't swear allegiance.

I'm sure I'm not the only republican who has a sufficient interest in history to not want to miss the opportunity to watch, in the comfort of my living room, this historic event that could be the only coronation that occurs in my lifetime.

I found his demeanor a bit over the top. “Good spirits” isn’t the phrase I’d use. His facial expressions/demeanor when arriving at the Abbey and getting seated seemed exaggerated. Like he was trying too hard to act laid back, easy going. It certainly seemed like a contrast from everyone else’s demeanor.

Still shaking my head about Dior (foreign company) proudly announcing they’d made Prince Harry’s suit for his UK dad’s coronation.

He was just smiling, Seems people want him to look miserable and when he doesn’t that’s a problem.

Also what’s the issue with Dior saying they designed his suit? How is that any different than the palace telling the rota who all are wearing or other designers promoting who wore them (Beatrice, Louise, Eugenie and Zara’s designers all did on social media.) or is just an issue cause it’s Harry?

Harry got a Dior suit made for the coronation. He couldn’t wear an old one? And nobody talks about men’s suits. He could have said “hey don’t broadcast it” but maybe it’s his way of getting a photo of himself out there, a bit of publicity buzz. It like he wanted to be there, but also not there.

He last wore a morning suit nine months ago that we know about, at HLM’s funeral. It was a fine morning suit, I don’t see the need for a new one (and less elegant, IMO). Seeing how he showed the shirt when he went to the hearing last month, for me there’s no doubt that he has an ongoing deal with dior.

I loved seeing Harry both coming and going surrounded by his cousins. I like the way they sandwiched him in between themselves.

Yes, they looked after him very well indeed. It also made a change to see him looking so cheerful. I'd like to think he was just naturally very pleased and excited for his Dad on his big day.

Apart from that I got the impression of a square peg in a round hole; he doesn't really fit in with his family any more. He didn't look settled. One photograph in particular shows him looking across towards William while everyone else is focused on the service. To me it says everything about the gulf between them, and the damage done.

I feel very sad for William, but happy for him in that wonderful moment with his father when he swore allegiance.

Last edited:
I felt the Duke probably did not want anything else than kiss his dad as well, knowing how the kingship has defined his whole destiny of life and human-being. But at the same time he must have realised: here I am, at my own father's finest hour, seated on a backbench.

I felt sorry for him but that were the consequences of his own - for me hard to understand - choices.

Last edited:

What's wrong with Harry having a new suit made for his father's coronation? While I don't like brands advertising their customers it's something we see happen for most royals.

He was just smiling, Seems people want him to look miserable and when he doesn’t that’s a problem.

Also what’s the issue with Dior saying they designed his suit? How is that any different than the palace telling the rota who all are wearing or other designers promoting who wore them (Beatrice, Louise, Eugenie and Zara’s designers all did on social media.) or is just an issue cause it’s Harry?

It would be an issue if he had a formal promotion deal with Dior as those designers have with Hollywood stars and other celebrities. It wouldn't surprise me if that were the case as Harry and Meghan are living the California life now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom