The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 6: Aug. 2021- Oct. 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The more of Harry's interview we see, the more it tracks with the (very relatable) relative that moved away described above.

"Granny shares things with me she doesn't share with anything else." Well, of course she does. Because you aren't there to see Granny leave the stove on and the front door unlocked, so you never have to have the hard conversations. All that's left is the light and the fluffy. So yes, Granny is in a great humor when she sees you. You make Granny laugh. Because you didn't have to take the keys from Granny after that incident last month; you haven't had to tell her it's best to let you do the shopping.

It creates the illusion that you, always the favorite child, may have moved away, but look how close you still are; look how she still relies on you; look how those Sunday FaceTimes and the Amazon Prime gifts have kept things so intimate; look how you still know what's best. What is really happening is that others are stepping up to do the hard, the day-to-day, the nitty-gritty. That is exactly what Harry is describing.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. He had every right to move away, to start a new life for himself, to create a life he fell in love with away from it all. But he is deluding himself to think that he is somehow pulling the strings back in the UK, that's he still in the thick of it all. And it is insulting to do those who are doing the day-to-day. He is still loved and adored by his grandmother. But others are stepping in the real roles of intimacy that accompany the twilight years of life. And others will step into the roles of intimacy that surround his niece and nephews' growing up; and they too will tell him "things they don't tell anyone else," because he will be just the fun guy, not responsible for the day-to-day hard stuff, and he will make them laugh, always creating the illusion that he is still there in the middle.

He needs to come to terms with the fact that this intimacy is something he traded away.

The more of Harry's interview we see, the more it tracks with the (very relatable) relative that moved away described above.

"Granny shares things with me she doesn't share with anything else." Well, of course she does. Because you aren't there to see Granny leave the stove on and the front door unlocked, so you never have to have the hard conversations. All that's left is the light and the fluffy. So yes, Granny is in a great humor when she sees you. You make Granny laugh. Because you didn't have to take the keys from Granny after that incident last month; you haven't had to tell her it's best to let you do the shopping.

It creates the illusion that you, always the favorite child, may have moved away, but look how close you still are; look how she still relies on you; look how those Sunday FaceTimes and the Amazon Prime gifts have kept things so intimate; look how you still know what's best. What is really happening is that others are stepping up to do the hard, the day-to-day, the nitty-gritty. That is exactly what Harry is describing.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. He had every right to move away, to start a new life for himself, to create a life he fell in love with away from it all. But he is deluding himself to think that he is somehow pulling the strings back in the UK, that's he still in the thick of it all. And it is insulting to do those who are doing the day-to-day. He is still loved and adored by his grandmother. But others are stepping in the real roles of intimacy that accompany the twilight years of life. And others will step into the roles of intimacy that surround his niece and nephews' growing up; and they too will tell him "things they don't tell anyone else," because he will be just the fun guy, not responsible for the day-to-day hard stuff, and he will make them laugh, always creating the illusion that he is still there in the middle.

He needs to come to terms with the fact that this intimacy is something he traded away.

BINGO! He threw away the keys ... but, still wants access to the house!

Wow, I think this interview, although short, was a very interesting peek into Harry's mindset.
He for some reason, wants the World to believe that he is a top, if not the top confidant, in Queen Elizabeth's life. Actually bragging that.... "We have a special relationship, We talk about things SHE CAN'T TALK ABOUT WITH ANYONE ELSE". Color me skeptical about that little gem ! And why did he feel the need to say that ?
On top of saying He is " making sure his Grandmother is protected, with the RIGHT PEOPLE around her". Ummmm, how's that working Harry ? Do tell.
I found it particularly sad that when asked a question he surely must OR should have anticipated, about whether he missed his Charles and William, he deflected back to Invictus. It would have been nice to be a *little* conciliatory. Saying a simple "of course, I was lucky enough to just see my Father" and then change the subject.

BUT he couldn't or wouldn't. I think that was hurtful to Charles. I doubt William is surprised though. Supposedly Harry and Megan did meet Charles and Camilla briefly before the Queen, wonder how that went ?

Makes me even MORE nervous about the coming Book Harry is releasing in a few months.

Little Edit....
Just my opinion, I don't think Harry, Megan and the Kids will be back for Jubilee Events. Harry again mentioned "security issues". Oh well, after this interview His Family is probably relieved........

Last edited:
The full transcript of the Duke of Sussex's interview with Hoda Kotb can be found in this article.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...pt-Prince-Harrys-TV-interview-NBCs-Today.html

Hoda: 'There was one woman who came up to me yesterday and she said something that totally struck me in my soul. She said the Invictus Games saved my life. How does that land for you?'
Harry: 'It feels amazing. But every single Games that I go to I hear the same thing from so many of them. And that... it feels amazing that we have managed to play a part in their recovery, but it also makes me incredibly sad to know that that's how dark it was for them.'

The best reflection of how the Invictus Athletes seem to feel about this opportunity. I'm very happy for them that the IG were able to be held this year.

I agree with your summary HighGoalHighDreams. The staff and family members who are there for HM day in and day out will simply get on with the business at hand and likely will not comment upon Prince Harry's remarks.

Last edited:
“Right People”
There is another scenario that could account for Harry’s remarks regarding his making sure she has the “right people” around her: The Queen wanted to see Harry in person to discuss his role as Counsellor of State and explain that he and Andrew will both be removed from that role for not being working royals. (I see Anne and Edward being substituted, which yes, will require some legal effort). I have no idea if this is true, but it fits his strange remarks.

In this scenario, I see Sunshine Sachs setting up some spin to lay the groundwork that Harry wanted this, so his grandmother would have the “right people” to help her and to be able to step in for her at the end of her reign. But Harry didn’t artfully convey the spin.

“Protection”
With regard to Harry’s “protection” vibe toward The Queen, let’s remember that he may feel deep down that he did not protect his mother (not true, of course, but a reasonable trauma response). Then Meghan rang the same bell and needed protection from the Monarchy (his view, not mine). It’s not a stretch that he may subconsciously feel that any Windsor woman that he loves is at risk and therefore he needs to protect them. Again, I could absolutely be wrong, but this also fits with the odd remark.

The bit about William and Charles was very telling. He had a lot to say about the Queen and their relationship, but when specifically asked about his brother and dad, he couldn’t even say that he missed them. It shows that the relationships are still fractured. I would imagine those two are bracing themselves for Harry’s book.

Hoda: 'Your family at home. Do you miss them?'

Harry: 'Yes. I think especially over the last two years, for most people, have they not missed their family? The ability to even get home and see them? Of course. That's -- you know, that's a huge part of it.'

Hoda: 'But do you miss your brother, your dad?

Harry: 'Look I mean, for me at the moment, I'm here focused on these guys and these families and giving everything that I can, 120 per cent to them to make sure they have the experience of a lifetime. That's my focus here. And when I leave here, I get back and my focus is on my family who I miss massively.'

Hoda: 'You do. I bet.'

Harry: 'Of course I do, they are two little people.'

The bit about William and Charles was very telling. He had a lot to say about the Queen and their relationship, but when specifically asked about his brother and dad, he couldn’t even say that he missed them. It shows that the relationships are still fractured. I would imagine those two are bracing themselves for Harry’s book.

That is correct. And if the reationship is fractured, I just do not see the point of sharing that with the public through this sort of answer.

I know a lot of people who have moved abroad, due to work, a partner, or other reasons. It's been a tough couple of years, especially as many people in the UK have relatives in Australia and New Zealand, which closed their borders for such a long time. It's the way it goes. But most of those people have limited annual leave and limited funds, so they haven't got the option to come over and bring the kids to see great-granny regularly. Harry has. I very much hope that the Queen will get to see Archie and Lilibet very soon.

Watched the whole interview. I am not going to question the motives behind what Harry said about the Queen. I am just going to extend empathy to him. I mean there really is nothing else to say. By extension I also extend it to the others too.

“Right People”
There is another scenario that could account for Harry’s remarks regarding his making sure she has the “right people” around her: The Queen wanted to see Harry in person to discuss his role as Counsellor of State and explain that he and Andrew will both be removed from that role for not being working royals. (I see Anne and Edward being substituted, which yes, will require some legal effort). I have no idea if this is true, but it fits his strange remarks.

In this scenario, I see Sunshine Sachs setting up some spin to lay the groundwork that Harry wanted this, so his grandmother would have the “right people” to help her and to be able to step in for her at the end of her reign. But Harry didn’t artfully convey the spin.

“Protection”
With regard to Harry’s “protection” vibe toward The Queen, let’s remember that he may feel deep down that he did not protect his mother (not true, of course, but a reasonable trauma response). Then Meghan rang the same bell and needed protection from the Monarchy (his view, not mine). It’s not a stretch that he may subconsciously feel that any Windsor woman that he loves is at risk and therefore he needs to protect them. Again, I could absolutely be wrong, but this also fits with the odd remark.

Or it could just be that he and Meghan had run-ins with various Kensington Palace and BP staff during their time as working royals, and he’s still not over that. He knows he can’t directly criticize his grandmother so instead of being critical towards her he’s condescending instead. This isn’t the first time he’s painted the Queen as a naive little old lady instead of a smart person who’s very capable of deciding who she wants to take advice from and be part of her inner circle.

With the best will in the world you can't be as close as you would like from half way across the world, I've experienced that. Perhaps she did say she tells him things she doesn't tell anyone else but that isn't necessarily because they have a close bond but because he's *not* there for most of it. We've had reports that half the family or more are actively involved in looking after HM.

Even apart from physical distance he *hasn't* been there for her. He actively chose to make her life more difficult at a time when her husband of 70 years lay dying and keeps threatening to make things worse with his memoirs this year. Even assuming he goes after everyone else apart from her, it's going to make her life more difficult.

He's also being really condescending and talking about his grandmother like she's being kept prisoner in a terrible nursing home rather than someone who is in charge. Probably she doesn't always want to answer your calls Harry, it's not just evil courtiers blocking you.

Just another little tidbit to throw into the mix. Netflix is taking a beating today. Its Stock plummeted, as of now down 36 percent. Yikes.
Harry and Megan ties and deals with Netflix are deep. The Netflix Crew was filming with Harry and Megan for the anticipated "Heart of Invictus" Production and Megan's to be 'Pearl' Series.
That's a lot of pressure AND bad news .......

Actually if I was in Harry's shoes - I would be very worried. Netflix is considering dropping many of its contracts that are not delivering. And the biggest black hole is the Sussex deal - there are some producers that have pointed out that if they pull contract at the end of this financial period. They still own all of the footage that they have done as Archwell failed to produce under their own license forcing Netflix to step in with their own people. Netflix can then produce their own documentaries about about the Sussex's and their deal with Netflix and everything about their Hollywood campaign and American drive for PR. And I mean everything.
Netflix will be able to produce more sensational and profitable documentaries about the Sussex's with out them - then with them.

Claire, interesting ! Thanks for that.
First Covid Lockdowns blew up the Sussex Business Plans, now Netflix's spiralling financial outlook looks like it *could* impact the Sussex's Deal too.
It will be interesting to see how they react. Will they be more conciliatory to the Royal Family ?

I thought until I heard the gloomy Netflix news just now, that They wouldn't attend Jubilee Events, now I'm not to sure.
They might need to burnish those Royal Family connections. Wonder if there will be any book revisions to tone down "disagreements".

I also thought it very interesting that Hoda Kotb got the Harry Interview. I'm sure that Gail King would have gone to the Netherlands for this if asked. After all Gail was one of the lucky few who attended Megan's Baby Shower.

There are many un-mined gems in this very brief interview, but I must say the first bizarre thing that stuck on to me was actually from Hoda, and I think it was the first clip that was released. It was something to the effect of, "You make her laugh, right? That's what she's always saying!"

Either Harry is the one who tells people that he is always making The Queen laugh, and she is always telling people that ("Granny is always telling people how I make her laugh!") or this is a very lazy set-up. I'm certainly not aware that The Queen runs around telling people how Harry always has her in stitches, and if she is, its not people who share this with Hoda.

A few comments made by "royal watchers":

Royal author Angela Levin wrote on Twitter: “In 15 mins Harry felt he made sure the Queen is ‘protected and has the right people around her’. His comment on US TV is a gross insult to all the royal family, the royal doctors and all the aides around HM.

“His arrogance knows no bounds.” Robert Jobson told GB News: “I think actions speak louder than words.

“Prince Charles has been stepping up and supporting his mother. All of her children, and daughters-in-law Countess of Wessex and Camilla, have been there behind the scenes as has Prince William.

“So I think for him to waltz in, leaving his Netflix crew at the door and talk about protecting his grandmother is slightly bizarre.”

I don't know why he said that. He must have known that it would cause controversy. Why not just say that it was lovely to catch up with his grandmother after so long apart? Everyone would have empathised with that, because we were all separated from loved ones during the pandemic. Why say something that was bound to cause a debate?

IMO whatever you think of H&M they - well Harry - should have stuck to just talking about Invictus. They need to show they aren't trying to involve the RF or Queen's name every time they speak about anything.

No 10 Downing Street - Prime Minister .... saying they are happy with the Queen's security; in light of Harry's statement.

I don't ever see Meghan coming back to the UK ever!
Which means the Sussex family are in the same situation as the Duke and Duchess of Windsor were.

Actually if I was in Harry's shoes - I would be very worried. Netflix is considering dropping many of its contracts that are not delivering. And the biggest black hole is the Sussex deal - there are some producers that have pointed out that if they pull contract at the end of this financial period. They still own all of the footage that they have done as Archwell failed to produce under their own license forcing Netflix to step in with their own people. Netflix can then produce their own documentaries about about the Sussex's and their deal with Netflix and everything about their Hollywood campaign and American drive for PR. And I mean everything.
Netflix will be able to produce more sensational and profitable documentaries about the Sussex's with out them - then with them.

That's a very interesting point. If Netflix own the footage that has been recorded so far, they should take care to not allow the business relationship to sour, as Netflix could easily produce a 'hit job' documentary that casts H&M in an unseemly light, in order to attract higher viewing figures.

I don't ever see Meghan coming back to the UK ever!

She was just there the other week.

Harry does come off as rather insufferable in his latest interview. Poor fella is still trying to find some solid ground. I continue to wish them health and happiness in their journey though.

They might need to burnish those Royal Family connections.

This is an important point. In my view, they need to be seen as maintaining positive connections with the Royal Family, particularly the Queen, especially because of her advanced age. It is an important part of their public persona.

Harry's remarks about making sure that the Queen was surrounded by the "right people" could indicate a lot of things, none of them positive. His behaviour demonstrates arrogance at the very least. His words are very concerning. I accept he is a traumatized person, but he is a loose cannon.

My goodness, I keep wanting to give Harry and Meghan the benefit of the doubt but they sure do make it difficult.

I really think he is his own worst enemy. He might be trying to say positive things about his new life and his continued loyalty to his monarch and grandmother but it always just comes out as arrogance and a desperate need to be seen as royal and relevant.

The Monarchical system is not perfect and should be subject to critic and analysis. It must evolve to stay relevant to the public it serves.

Harry never criticised the Queen, he criticised the system.

Years ago, Prince Charles was not allowed to marry the woman he loved because of silly rules. We all know how much unhappiness that caused.
Later on, Prince William was allowed to marry the girl he loved even though she is a commoner and is not a virgin. As a result, they have a much happier marriage and family. So the system can change to be more humane.

Harry does not want to participate in the Royal Rota system. He doesn't want to share pictures of his children and want them grow up privately. The only way to do that was for him to leave.

The tabloids are getting themselves into hysterics over whether he will be on the balcony. Does he even want to be on the balcony?

To be clear, the royal family will benefit from him showing up not the other way around.

I doubt that, judging by how many times that Harry has been name-dropping the Queen compared to how many times the Royals has been name-dropping Harry.

Without Harry, the BRF is still the BRF. Without the BRF, Harry is nothing more than an expat.

I know a lot of people who have moved abroad, due to work, a partner, or other reasons. It's been a tough couple of years, especially as many people in the UK have relatives in Australia and New Zealand, which closed their borders for such a long time. It's the way it goes. But most of those people have limited annual leave and limited funds, so they haven't got the option to come over and bring the kids to see great-granny regularly. Harry has. I very much hope that the Queen will get to see Archie and Lilibet very soon.
As a Kiwi I can assure you that leaving the country during the last two years was a crap shoot. Many who took the gamble during the brief times the border was open risked not being able to return and our News reports have run dozens and dozens of interviews with NZealanders trapped overseas. By the time they were ready to return the borders were closed and they were well and truly stuck. Those that did manage to get flights here had to pay top dollars for the flight and that was contingent on getting a place in MIQ where they had to isolate 10-14 days in MIQ and pay for the privilege.

As a note, most babies and toddlers under 5 were only taken if it was a one-way flight back to their "home. Harry and Meghan are not unique in not wanting to travel with small children is the age of Covid.
A few comments made by "royal watchers":

Royal author Angela Levin wrote on Twitter: “In 15 mins Harry felt he made sure the Queen is ‘protected and has the right people around her’. His comment on US TV is a gross insult to all the royal family, the royal doctors and all the aides around HM.

“His arrogance knows no bounds.” Robert Jobson told GB News: “I think actions speak louder than words.

“Prince Charles has been stepping up and supporting his mother. All of her children, and daughters-in-law Countess of Wessex and Camilla, have been there behind the scenes as has Prince William.

“So I think for him to waltz in, leaving his Netflix crew at the door and talk about protecting his grandmother is slightly bizarre.”

I don't know why he said that. He must have known that it would cause controversy. Why not just say that it was lovely to catch up with his grandmother after so long apart? Everyone would have empathised with that, because we were all separated from loved ones during the pandemic. Why say something that was bound to cause a debate?
I believe he was referring to the Queen's Windsor Bubble and the fact that they seem to have her best interests in heart and that means not leaking private family comings and goings and facilitating her happiness. Proof positive that the usual handlers weren't in the mix or that stopover would never happen, just as all the usual suspects ensured they didn't up to HM illness.

IMO when he spoke of HM being surrounded by the right people, I took it to mean he saw the Windsor Bubble in action, including all the family she wants whenever she wants and "they" are the "right" people IMHO he was talking. While he was quite amazingly passionate when giving a speech at the IG, a one on one interview is another thing and he is clumsy and even set up to give answers that will irritate others.

Levin et al are just reprising the continual poison they have doled out since Harry left and the comments seem to reflect their chagrin at not having prior warning. Every word, every nuance, every movement, and even the kiss has been dissected to "prove" their very ugly "truths" courtesy of their "inside sources" who were not even present and then, of course, the body language experts are there to endorse their position

Last edited by a moderator:
Harry didn?t mention his father or brother in connection with the Queen?s security. Of course he?s good friends with his grandmother. And he met Charles and Camilla when at Windsor.

Who he isn?t good friends with are many of the courtiers (who, according to some reports, were unfavourable towards Meghan from the beginning) and most of the British media. The latter have leaped onto one tiny bit of this US interview and torn it to shreds, in the hope of getting yet more controversial H+M traction going.

After all, this has been a very successful Invictus Games, and Harry and Meghan?s presence there made headlines around the world. That interview was 99% cheerful talk from Harry about the IG, the competitors and his family life in California.

That?s not good news for Angela Levin and the rest of the Press pack of scavengers, the so-called ?Royal experts?, who have used the last three years to constantly and consistently attack Harry and Meghan in every way possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let’s remember to keep the comments on Harry and Meghan and not turn this into a discussion about the media.

Watched the whole interview. I am not going to question the motives behind what Harry said about the Queen. I am just going to extend empathy to him. I mean there really is nothing else to say. By extension I also extend it to the others too.

I really struggle to believe that Harry would set out to hurt his grandmother but his comments make awkward reading/listening.

I am now wondering if at times Harry struggles to articulate what he means.
For Example, protecting the Queen and ensuring the correct people are around her could read as it was good to see for myself the efforts put in to protect my grandmother from Covid and the people around her who gave up their own personal lives for nearly 2 years to look after her and my grandfather. This is what actually happened the people within the Windsor bubble gave up their own family lives to be with the Queen during Covid,
She can discuss with me things that she cannot with anybody else, could be we have silly schoolgirl/ boy laughter and maybe a bit gossip that she couldn't have with other people.

I do not pretend to know what is going on but he still seems like the lost boy, maybe he wants to sound more relevant than he is, or maybe it is all calculating stuff to get attention.

As for potential balcony appearance I honestly believe that could come over as awkward all round, with everybody looking for the signs from all concerned. What should be a joyous occasion could be very uncomfortable.
There have been things said that cannot be taken back. You only have to look at footage of Philips funeral to see how isolated he was, and nothing to do with social distancing. IMO
At the end of the day it is the Queens decision whether or not to invite them and their decision if they come. They are all family and I am sure the Queen would like some form of reconciliation at this time.

I really struggle to believe that Harry would set out to hurt his grandmother but his comments make awkward reading/listening.

I am now wondering if at times Harry struggles to articulate what he means.
For Example, protecting the Queen and ensuring the correct people are around her could read as it was good to see for myself the efforts put in to protect my grandmother from Covid and the people around her who gave up their own personal lives for nearly 2 years to look after her and my grandfather. This is what actually happened the people within the Windsor bubble gave up their own family lives to be with the Queen during Covid,
She can discuss with me things that she cannot with anybody else, could be we have silly schoolgirl/ boy laughter and maybe a bit gossip that she couldn't have with other people.

I do not pretend to know what is going on but he still seems like the lost boy, maybe he wants to sound more relevant than he is, or maybe it is all calculating stuff to get attention.

As for potential balcony appearance I honestly believe that could come over as awkward all round, with everybody looking for the signs from all concerned. What should be a joyous occasion could be very uncomfortable.
There have been things said that cannot be taken back. You only have to look at footage of Philips funeral to see how isolated he was, and nothing to do with social distancing. IMO
At the end of the day it is the Queens decision whether or not to invite them and their decision if they come. They are all family and I am sure the Queen would like some form of reconciliation at this time.

I don’t think it matters why he said it. Live and let live. He is still desperate to be royal…that much screams. It’s all he wants. But we make decisions and those decisions have consequences. So really let’s just hope he finds contentment and peace in his life, the media get bored and time moves on. There has been enough regrettable things happen with men in that family at the moment.

The security issue is still a big decision as to whether the whole family come to the UK. I'm not sure when a a decision will be reached by the Home Office? June is only round the corner now.

Sadly, if these family conflicts are not resolved; then Harry's book will be next on the Agenda.

My question is WHY has this happened to a couple who were welcomed with open arms in the UK. If they felt they were being treated unfairly; again why was this unfairness happening?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom