The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 10: August 2024 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's a worthy cause. Indeed one that is everywhere and the online world a significant problem. But there are practical things you can do. My friends school seals their phones in a compartment on entry and only realises them on exit. Executing control where they can. It's a forum. I'm tempted to say so what. It isn't offering ir doing anything really. Anyone can start a forum. Safe spaces to meet would be great. Counselling service. Work within schools with children. Family work on controlling tech.

A link to what amounts to an opinion post has been removed, and so have subsequent replies to it.
Please remember and adhere to the rules for sources for this thread, specifically:

Sources that are “Not wanted: opinion columns, opinion news shows or opinion vlogs. We can form our own opinions without their help.”

Last edited by a moderator:
'Everywhere' being a cooking- and a polo show on Netflix and the long announced launch of the lifestyle brand, it seems ;). Let's hope for everybody's sake all of it will be a great success. It is healthy to focus on these new projects instead of focussing on the past, and it is good to see them getting on with their lives.

Last edited:
Everywhere being a cooking- and a polo show on Netflix and the long announced launch of the lifestyle brand, it seems ;). Let's hope for everybody's sake all of it will be a great success. It is healthy to focus on these new projects instead of focussing on the past.
I wholeheartedly agree Marengo. I wish them success in these new ventures that focus on these topics rather than their past.

In 2018 Prince William tried to use his position to attack cyberbullying and despite all the talks with the firms and leaders he failed to get any progress, and said publically the firms weren't interested. 6 years on and things are worse if anything. I wish Meghan and Harry luck in what they are trying to do, to give parents an extra resource (there are already dozens of support networks available) but I fear that without a way to force the social media to act, there will be little that can be accomplished. Palliative care is amazing but what is needed is a cure for the cancer online.

“I felt that I might be able to make a difference on this issue. I did not have the answers, but I did have the ability to invite the brightest leaders and researchers in social media to sit around the table, to listen to parents and children, and see what we might do together to make the online world safer and happier for our young people."

In 2018 Prince William tried to use his position to attack cyberbullying and despite all the talks with the firms and leaders he failed to get any progress, and said publically the firms weren't interested.

In my humble opinion, the problem with "cyberbullying" is, that nobody can clearly say, what bullying is. Plus: Different countries have different laws: In America Freedom of Speech is of high value, while elsewhere, like in China or North Korea or my home country Germany, this right is not so much valued.

For the Internet firms it is an additional task to step up against misbehaviour, what means, it is an additional monetary cost. They will only reign in, if the atmosphere on their websites gets this toxic, that paying advertisers leave.

To sum up: Prince Harry, like so many Royals present and past, seems to have a problem with Free Speech... At least this is what the public opinion could become. Not a good claim in America!

I suppose it is always good to raise awareness for cyberbullying - or for other worthy causes for that matter. I remember Queen Mathilde being involved in a (Belgian) campaign against it too.

Free speech is indeed a good right. But some teenagers being driven to suicide for example is a real problem and certainly something should be done about it. I can see that there may be some instances where bullying and free speech overlap but in the majority of cases that won't be so.

We have seen social media companies significantly decreasing their moderating role on their platforms in recent years, as winifred already pointed out. As TRF we do moderate quite a bit - and it can be headache as much for the mods themselves as it is to some of our posters - but in the end we hope that it is for the best and that it does create a better online environment for all, while people can still express their opinions. And for the most part the vast majority of people here certainly do manage to do that in a constructive way.

Last edited:
I suppose it is always good to raise awareness for cyberbullying - or for other worthy causes for that matter. I remember Queen Mathilde being involved in a (Belgian) campaign against it too.

Free speech is indeed a good right. But some teenagers being driven to suicide for example is a real problem and certainly something should be done about it. I can see that there may be some instances where bullying and free speech overlap but in the majority of cases that won't be so.

We have seen social media companies significantly decreasing their moderating role on their platforms in recent years, as winifred already pointed out. As TRF we do moderate quite a bit - and it can be headache as much for the mods themselves as it is to some of our posters - but in the end we hope that it is for the best and that it does create a better online environment for all while people can still express their opinions. And for the most part the vast majority of people here certainly do manage to do that in a constructive way.
Thank you Marengo, and I do appreciate all the mods' efforts, and apologies for any headaches I've generated, past present or future! :flowers:

It's always going to be tricky when you're dealing with a pair like H&M who are so divisive and controversial.

It would be miraculous if they could somehow turn over a new leaf and not cause any further problems, but I don't see that happening I'm afraid, because I don't think it's in their personality or nature to be any different and they are very determined and motivated to behave as they do. They believe they have been wronged, and that is plenty enough for them to keep on going, and to refuse to accept responsibility for their own mistakes. And they need money.

I'm an optimist and believe in looking forward, but lessons learned from the past are also important IMO; they teach us to be wary and cautious, to defend and protect. Sometimes people simply go too far too many times, and trust is gone forever. I know that from personal experience with members of my own family.

Let's hope for everybody's sake all of it will be a great success. It is healthy to focus on these new projects instead of focussing on the past, and it is good to see them getting on with their lives.

Well said. I have been waiting since early 2020 for this "move forward" phase of their lives to commence. Let us hope this keeps them reasonably busy and professionally fulfilled, and delivers some financial rewards for them so they can genuinely be financially independent.

It serms that the Colombia visit will happen this week. I link the DM article even though it’s not quite neutral because I didn’t find another source.

“When Meghan Markle and Prince Harry touch down in Colombia this week for their second (…) tourthey will, no doubt, be hoping the trip will boost their image on the world stage.

The Sussexes will begin their four-day tour of the crime-ravaged South American country on Thursday and will visit the capital, Bogota, the historical colonial city of Cartagena on the Caribbean coast and Cali – where they will attend a cultural festival.“

LE I decided to edit my post and only include some excerpts because the article is too much of an opinion piece, in my opinion. 😂😂😂

Last edited:
It serms that the Colombia visit will happen this week. I link the DM article even though it’s not quite neutral because I didn’t find another source.

“When Meghan Markle and Prince Harry touch down in Colombia this week for their second (…) tourthey will, no doubt, be hoping the trip will boost their image on the world stage.

The Sussexes will begin their four-day tour of the crime-ravaged South American country on Thursday and will visit the capital, Bogota, the historical colonial city of Cartagena on the Caribbean coast and Cali – where they will attend a cultural festival.“

LE I decided to edit my post and only include some excerpts because the article is too much of an opinion piece, in my opinion. 😂😂😂
So it's being brought forward (assuming the article is correct). If so, I wonder why?

Perhaps H&M's coffee supplies are getting very low... ;)

When I first read the news of this trip in an article August was mentioned as the date. I don’t believe it was ever planned for late this year.

Last edited:
When I first read the news of this trip in an article August was mentioned as the date. I don’t believe it was ever planned for late this year.

Fair enough. Some articles I saw did say November, (one said "later this summer in November"!) so they obviously got confused; possibly with the Ending Violence Against Children conference being held in November. In fairness, that does sound like the sort of event H&M would be very keen to attend. Perhaps they will.

I really wish the various news outlets would change their style of reporting. Meghan and Harry have moved on and seem settled in a happy place. They don’t need to ‘rebuild’ as they have built a life. ☺️ I’m looking forward to footage from the visit to Colombia. Just recently I went back on YouTube to see the videos of Meghan out and about in countries, eg Canadian World Vision for which she was a Global Ambassador. Then I took a wander around videos of Prince Harry’s trips abroad. It made me nostalgic and keen to see more from this humanitarian duo.

I think it has taken Harry and Meghan time to get their footing since leaving the UK. While I have safety concerns for their trip to Colombia I look forward to this next endeavor and wish them success. They need successes as they hopefully mature and move away from their previous family bashing immature blaming behaviors.

My perspective is that he and Meghan had the freedom to talk about their own experiences once they had left. I’m glad they went on the record. They are doing really well and staying with humanitarian works so it must fulfil them to be able to express themselves in this way. I certainly hope for more books further down the line. Meghan’s will be particularly interesting to read, I think.

My perspective is that he and Meghan had the freedom to talk about their own experiences once they had left. I’m glad they went on the record. They are doing really well and staying with humanitarian works so it must fulfil them to be able to express themselves in this way. I certainly hope for more books further down the line. Meghan’s will be particularly interesting to read, I think.
And may Meghan's book be an objective, empathetic, fair, self-aware work--[…]-- grounded in actual truth and meaningful reflection!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Marengo, and I do appreciate all the mods' efforts, and apologies for any headaches I've generated, past present or future! :flowers:

It's always going to be tricky when you're dealing with a pair like H&M who are so divisive and controversial.

It would be miraculous if they could somehow turn over a new leaf and not cause any further problems, but I don't see that happening I'm afraid, because I don't think it's in their personality or nature to be any different and they are very determined and motivated to behave as they do. They believe they have been wronged, and that is plenty enough for them to keep on going, and to refuse to accept responsibility for their own mistakes. And they need money.

I'm an optimist and believe in looking forward, but lessons learned from the past are also important IMO; they teach us to be wary and cautious, to defend and protect. Sometimes people simply go too far too many times, and trust is gone forever. I know that from personal experience with members of my own family.
I'm inclined to agree with you, but I think there's an additional factor to consider: Controversy keeps them in the news. If they're not stirring up controversy, their story is: "Former prince and d-list actress spout opinions and sell jam." Who cares?

But, when they sell stories about the royals, pursue lawsuits, appear with celebrities, and operate a rival court (complete with foreign visits), they make news.

And may Meghan's book be an objective, empathetic, fair, self-aware work--[…]-- grounded in actual truth and meaningful reflection!
An excellent assessment. It is important to remember that much of what MM said to Oprah etc. has been proven to be untrue.

I won't give specific examples as that would be rehashing the past and thus against forum rules, but they are well-known and there is plenty of information online.

Last edited:
I’m in the UK and I’m happy he is happy. 😜

They have a bit of work ahead of them to regain their previous widespread popularity, lets hope they firmly keep their past issues in the past and focus on the future! I actually hope Meghan does not write about herself/her life, but finds some other subject close to her interests and writes about that instead.

Very happy.i just don't want to 3ver hear them talk about the family or security again. For their own sake they need to move on.
But will they? I doubt it very much. It's often said that without the royal connection, they've nothing to sell. Somehow, none of their other ventures seem to work out.

Will any Colombian government official be involved in the "tour"? Unlike in Nigeria, that seems to be a 100% private visit.

But will they? I doubt it very much. It's often said that without the royal connection, they've nothing to sell. Somehow, none of their other ventures seem to work out.
Lets see. If they focus their full energies on commercial projects, they will probably have less time for looking back, sniping, moaning and lying.

They have a bit of work ahead of them to regain their previous widespread popularity, lets hope they firmly keep their past issues in the past and focus on the future! I actually hope Meghan does not write about herself/her life, but finds some other subject close to her interests and writes about that instead.
Tying into her American Riviera Orchard brand, it would be fun if Meghan wrote a book about recipes for her favorite meals and drinks, along with table/room arrangements for different occasions with fun antecedents about each: I always have this cocktail when I go out dancing with friends, this is my go-to meal for Archie and Lili when I need something quick, these Christmas decorations remind me so much of Christmases when I was little, etc.

Back
Top Bottom