The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 10: August 2024 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil

273px-Combined_Coat_of_Arms_of_Harry_and_Meghan%2C_the_Duke_and_Duchess_of_Sussex.svg.png

Combined Arms of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex

Welcome to The Sussex Family News & Events, Part 10

Commencing August 1st, 2024

The previous thread can be found here.
Please be mindful of the
TRF Community Rules

· Only pictures that you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.

· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles, so no more than 20% of an article

text should be posted, along with the link to the original article.

· The Report Post button is for reporting inappropriate content in a post if no moderators or administrators are online.

1. News-links from reliable sources can be posted freely. Links to support factual information [f.e. to a wikipedia article] can be posted freely.

2. Articles and news from
semi-reliable sources will run a higher risk of deletion if it is deemed questionable by the moderating team.

3. Opinion articles, columns and videos can not be posted at all.

4. The following aspects are considered off-topic:

• Rehashing of events, unless DIRECTLY relevant to the new information
  • Unsubstantiated gossip, rumour, speculation, hearsay and innuendo. Social media is not a source. All new information must be accompanied by a link to a media outlet. An exception is made for the accounts of established royalty reporters.
  • Debates over titles or stripping of titles
  • Accusations or inference of racism towards the subject, other members or the media
  • Aggressive, sarcastic or disruptive tones
  • Agenda-driven posts or posts deemed to have intent to disrupt the thread
  • Bickering, arguing or back-and-forth discussions to the exclusion of others
  • Post that otherwise add nothing of merit, interest or benefit to the discussion

Last edited:
Reliability of News Sources

To assist in keeping discussions as factual as possible, the moderating team has created the following example list of international news sources and grouped them based on their reliability and previous history to provide factual or correct information.

Please use this list as a guide when viewing and forming opinions on information. If your source is not listed, base the reliability off of a similar source.

Reliable Sources

BBC
The Times / The Sunday Times
The Telegraph
Guardian

Semi-Reliable Sources
The Daily Mail
Daily Mirror / Sunday Mirror
Daily Express
The Sun
Vanity Fair
People Magazine

Unreliable Sources
Social Media pages
Page Six
National Enquirer

Not wanted: opinion columns, opinion news shows or opinion vlogs. We can form our own opinions without their help. This includes the Murdoch press that is active in several anglo-saxon countries.

The number of comments about how Harry is already au fait with their biggest product is making me laugh so much.

Good luck to them. Another interesting "tour" ahead.

The number of comments about how Harry is already au fait with their biggest product is making me laugh so much.

I have to say that for someone who is extremely concerned about personal safety, Prince Harry is continuing to travel to nations that the U.S. State Department website is giving its citizens and residents caution advice. On the U.S. State Department travel advisory, Colombia currently is considered a Level 3 "Reconsider Travel" status. That was the same rating for two of the nations that the Sussexes' have traveled to in 2024: Jamaica and Nigeria.

I have to say that for someone who is extremely concerned about personal safety, Prince Harry is continuing to travel to nations that the U.S. State Department website is giving its citizens and residents caution advice. On the U.S. State Department travel advisory, Colombia currently is considered a Level 3 "Reconsider Travel" status. That was the same rating for two of the nations that the Sussexes' have traveled to in 2024: Jamaica and Nigeria.
All part of their game plan I expect.

Perhaps she's discovered she has some Columbian heritage! :ROFLMAO:

This made me laugh! :flowers:

I can imagine!

Thanks for the link to the US Travel Advisory TLLK! :flowers:

Contained within the Advisory are some suggestions about how to conduct yourself while you are there, which include:

If you decide to travel to Colombia:
  • Avoid protest areas and crowds.
  • Monitor local media for breaking events and adjust your plans based on new information.
  • Keep a low profile.
  • Be aware of your surroundings.
Well, the third one's a bust and the fourth one could be tricky.

Nothing about not wearing anything that is inappropriate or creased, luckily ;)

Last edited:
The UK's Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office's travel advisory states:

FCDO advises against all but essential travel to parts of Colombia.

Your travel insurance could be invalidated if you travel against advice from the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO).

Areas where FCDO advises against all but essential travel​

Colombia-Venezuela border and northern Colombia​

FCDO advises against all but essential travel to:

• the Catatumbo region of Norte de Santander Department
  • all of Arauca Department, except for the department capital, Arauca
  • the municipality of Puerto Carreño in Vichada Department, except for the department capital, Puerto Carreño
  • within 5km of the rest of the border with Venezuela, except for the city of Cúcuta
FCDO currently advises against all travel to Venezuela’s border regions with Colombia. You should not use any of the Colombia-Venezuela land crossings.

Pacific coast and Colombia-Panama border​

• Chocó Department, except for the department capital Quibdó, the whale-watching towns of Nuquí and Bahía Solano and the tourist site of Capurganá
  • the western part of Valle del Cauca Department, including Buenaventura
  • the western part of Cauca Department
  • the South Pacific, Sanquianga and Telembi regions of Nariño Department
  • the southern part of Córdoba Department
  • the Urabá and Bajo Cauca regions of Antioquia Department
  • the southern part of Bolívar Department

Colombia-Ecuador border and southern Colombia​

FCDO advises against all but essential travel to within 5km of the border with Ecuador except for:

• the border crossing on the Pan-American highway at the Puente Internacional de Rumichaca
  • the city of Ipiales in Nariño Department
FCDO advises against all but essential travel to Orito, San Miguel, Valle del Guamuez, Puerto Caicedo, Puerto Guzmán, Puerto Asis and Puerto Leguizamo in Putumayo Department.

Central Colombia​

• all of Guaviare Department, except for the department capital San José del Guaviare
  • Cartagena del Chairá, San Vicente del Caguan, Puerto Rico, El Doncello, Paujil and La Montañita in Caquetá Department
  • the Ariari region of southern Meta, except for Caño Cristales
If travelling to the tourist site of Caño Cristales, travel by air from the town of La Macarena with a reputable tour company.

Terrorism in Colombia​

Terrorists are very likely to try and carry out attacks in Colombia.

Sounds like just the place to go and wander around in a high profile visit when you are so worried about security.

The issue is Harry seems to think that because there will be presumably a veritable army of guys with guns around him and Meghan then they will be safe, in that way his thinking on security is very immature IMO.

IMO he is demonstrating that he does not require the security status he appears to crave, he is free to travel anywhere he wants without fear nor favour. If each country they visit provide them with security then fair enough.

I hope to be able to see what the couple have to say on CBS. I usually enjoy Harry and Meghan’s interviews and it will probably be the same this time. The media will follow their trip to Columbia without a doubt and it’s good that they will be meeting youth groups and others. They received the invitation to visit from the Vice President of Columbia.

Last edited:
I believe the CBS interview is specifically about how Archewell is helping combat misinformation and harassment in social media. I hope to catch it as well.

I figured after their Nigerian trip they would be invited to other countries. It's very kind of the Colombian Vice President to invite them. I believe that the trip will also focus on combatting social media misinformation and harassment.

Since said misinformation can lead to severe mental health challenges up to suicide, I think it's an important topic to discuss.

I believe the CBS interview is specifically about how Archewell is helping combat misinformation and harassment in social media. I hope to catch it as well.

I figured after their Nigerian trip they would be invited to other countries. It's very kind of the Colombian Vice President to invite them. I believe that the trip will also focus on combatting social media misinformation and harassment.

Since said misinformation can lead to severe mental health challenges up to suicide, I think it's an important topic to discuss.
I completely agree with your last paragraph HenRach.

That said, I hardly think H&M are the best people to talk about misinformation considering just how much of that they have been proven to be responsible for themselves.

And while I may have a bit of a laugh about H&M at their expense here, and criticise their behaviour, that’s very different from the appalling abuse directed at people elsewhere. And while I know MM is herself targeted along with many other celebrities, it has to be said that many of these people, and one group in particular who support H&M, are among some of the very worst offenders.

If H&M were serious about tackling this they would have publicly challenged this group about it a long time ago - going on the assumption that H&M are not in cahoots with them, of course.

If the group in question chose to ignore a request from H&M to desist in their vile attacks, which are often directed towards a mother of three who is fighting cancer, then at least by publicly challenging this behaviour, H&M would have demonstrated that they have tried to do something about it. To the best of my knowledge, they have never uttered a single word. Which speaks volumes to me.

So I’m afraid I can only view their “wanting to combat harassment online” as utter hypocrisy on their part, and conclude that it is nothing but yet more attention seeking, in their quest for relevance.

Last edited:
I think social media can be a vile place sometimes. It definitely can cause severe trauma and worse for people. I think Harry and Meghan have every right to speak about the mental anguish it can have on people. They are not responsible for what other people say just like William and Kate aren't responsible for their fans saying vile things about the Sussexes.

They are not responsible for what other people say

Well, this is true to a point but it is also true that they have choice over who they choose to associate with and spotlight. It was their choice to include Christopher Bouzy as an expert in their documentary, which they had creative control over, and he’s been someone who has said really horrible things about Harry’s family and who pushed conspiracy theories about Catherine’s health.

If misinformation is their concern, it might have been nice for them to acknowledge an error in judgment in choosing to platform someone who was spreading it.

I think social media can be a vile place sometimes. It definitely can cause severe trauma and worse for people. I think Harry and Meghan have every right to speak about the mental anguish it can have on people. They are not responsible for what other people say just like William and Kate aren't responsible for their fans saying vile things about the Sussexes.
Hear hear!

““And so as we can see what’s happening in the online space, we know that there’s a lot of work to be done there and we’re just happy to be able to be a part of change for good.””

Worthy work, indeed.

Didn’t they also cooperate with so called Sussex Squad posters during the Nigerian trip- inviting them to attend, being pictured with them etc? Even after they were wearing clothing with Sussex Squad on?

The cause is noble for sure but people on glass houses and all that.

What has Bouzy said? When? Is there a link…

Well, this is true to a point but it is also true that they have choice over who they choose to associate with and spotlight. It was their choice to include Christopher Bouzy as an expert in their documentary, which they had creative control over, and he’s been someone who has said really horrible things about Harry’s family and who pushed conspiracy theories about Catherine’s health.

If misinformation is their concern, it might have been nice for them to acknowledge an error in judgment in choosing to platform someone who was spreading it.
[.....]We can finger point all day but that doesn't solve the problem. Hopefully something can be done because at this point in time there are too many people out there saying awful things and people jump on that bandwagon of hate.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a reminder that this thread is about the Sussexes. Comparisons, score-evening, and dragging up old news is not permitted, and is, as you should all know by now, likely to result in deletions or getting the thread shut down. The moderating team has barely reopened the thread, and if you'd like it to stay open, please review the rules and follow them.

Very interesting development. They have more limited choices than as working royals: as WR, it’s the FO the one that arranges the tours, according to the interests of the British government and the royals need to keep a completely politically neutral stance. As “private” royals, the Sussexes are at the mercy of the inviting government officials - the MoD in Nigeria, the communist VP in Colombia. They cannot afford the apolitical stance the RF has.

I completely agree with your last paragraph HenRach.

That said, I hardly think H&M are the best people to talk about misinformation considering just how much of that they have been proven to be responsible for themselves.

And while I may have a bit of a laugh about H&M at their expense here, and criticise their behaviour, that’s very different from the appalling abuse directed at people elsewhere. And while I know MM is herself targeted along with many other celebrities, it has to be said that many of these people, and one group in particular who support H&M, are among some of the very worst offenders.

If H&M were serious about tackling this they would have publicly challenged this group about it a long time ago - going on the assumption that H&M are not in cahoots with them, of course.

If the group in question chose to ignore a request from H&M to desist in their vile attacks, which are often directed towards a mother of three who is fighting cancer, then at least by publicly challenging this behaviour, H&M would have demonstrated that they have tried to do something about it. To the best of my knowledge, they have never uttered a single word. Which speaks volumes to me.

So I’m afraid I can only view their “wanting to combat harassment online” as utter hypocrisy on their part, and conclude that it is nothing but yet more attention seeking, in their quest for relevance.
Agreed.

Yet again the Sussex's chose unwisely by not publicly asking people not to attack others (such as Princess Catherine) on their behalf because that goes against their ethics regarding misinformation and bullying in the media, and again opened themselves up to more criticism and cries of hypocrisy.

This is my concern, it appears to me there is very much potential for the perception of being used by these countries that invite them to visit.
I can't keep up as to whether they ever want to go back to royal duties for the RF but this really will but paid to that.

Back
Top Bottom