The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear Part 9: November 2018 - November 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no problem with any royal woman wearing foreign brands. Nobody on this forum has said there is so can we stop stating it as a fact?

To clarify what's been said - it's about the ratio of foreign brands to British brands that is the discussion point & Catherine appears to wear mostly British, which is what we'd expect in her position.

I don't get the discussion about her nails. How can you see her nails in the evening appearance Bafta? And what wrong with?

I adore this dress, yes the top part is of a bandage style which tightens across the chest but I see no issue with that.

The colours are divine, and the accents of heavier pink really offset the dress. This is a gala dress.

Those commenting about Catherine wearing two foreign brands in one day and holding different royals to different standards. If this was Catherine’s first year on the job, I’d be saying the same as I do for Meghan. But it’s not, so there we go.

I adore this dress, yes the top part is of a bandage style which tightens across the chest but I see no issue with that.

The colours are divine, and the accents of heavier pink really offset the dress. This is a gala dress.

I really do like the mixing of the lighter colours, and the accents the darker colour in the belt and handbag. Not really sure about the fit of the bodice, it just seems to make her flat!

Those commenting about Catherine wearing two foreign brands in one day and holding different royals to different standards. If this was Catherine’s first year on the job, I’d be saying the same as I do for Meghan. But it’s not, so there we go.

There's no problem with any royal woman wearing foreign brands. Nobody on this forum has said there is so can we stop stating it as a fact?

To clarify what's been said - it's about the ratio of foreign brands to British brands that is the discussion point & Catherine appears to wear mostly British, which is what we'd expect in her position.

I have to agree with you both. To me, its really about getting the mix between British brands and foreign brands right, and Catherine seems to be doing alright on that front. She has also had many years to establish her credentials as an unofficial ambassador for the British fashion industry, so the odd foray overseas is really not an issue for me.

Oof! This is just a total miss for me. She’s too flat-chested to carry off a bandage style—on a curvier body that construction can look pleasantly smooth and offer needed support, but in her it looks too much like an actual bandage. Made worse by some sections of the dress being the color of dried blood. And those that aren’t...salmon is not Kate’s shade. At all. And then the floatiness of the bottom half looks somehow cheap. I don’t know, maybe it’s because of the contrast between it and the top; perhaps I woukd like the effect of the skirt were it paired with another bodice, but as is it’s just plain tacky.

Catherine is a British born duchess who is the future queen consort of the UK. If it is important for anyone to fly the British flag its her.

I actually find it hilarious that eight years is used to excuse it. Its actually more reason for her to wear British designers. More time to know the importance of what she is representing.

Double standards are double standards.

Foreign brands are okay. Okay for ALL. Plain and simple.

More time to know the importance of what she is representing.

Surely you are not suggesting that new joiners have not worked out the importance of representing Team GB or GB PLC?

Agree with most posters that the bandage top was too tight and it for her figure making her appear more flat chested (..)

Last edited by a moderator:

The controversy about Gucci, Dolce & Gabbana and Prada has been removed as off-topic for this thread.

Oof! This is just a total miss for me. She’s too flat-chested to carry off a bandage style—on a curvier body that construction can look pleasantly smooth and offer needed support, but in her it looks too much like an actual bandage. Made worse by some sections of the dress being the color of dried blood. And those that aren’t...salmon is not Kate’s shade. At all. And then the floatiness of the bottom half looks somehow cheap. I don’t know, maybe it’s because of the contrast between it and the top; perhaps I woukd like the effect of the skirt were it paired with another bodice, but as is it’s just plain tacky.

I don't think it is tacky at all. It is a gown that is a throw-back to the 1930s and 1940s which anyone can see if looking at old black and white Jean Harlow, Myrna Loy, Greer Garson films. In those days large busts were considered vulgar and common so were very under played and yes bound. Flapper dresses never showed huge chests. The clothes of the years gone-by are now all the rage with society ladies. You will always have the fake over the top implants on all parts of the body shown in media and movies but for some reason what was old now seems to be new again once more. I even saw older teens waiting for school buses wearing old style fitted coats and actual dresses with flat shoes. Almost a time warp. I am enjoying all the different things lately as people's own personality coming forward and they have stopped being sheep and just copying everyone.

The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear Part 9: November 2018 -

I laughed when I read the gown described as tacky, having seen endless celebrities at the two awards ceremonies last weekend.whose outfits were certainly in this category. Tacky means ostentatious or vulgar. I can’t see how this describes Kate’s appearance at all.

I have to admit I was slightly puzzled as to the neckline being cream when the rest was white with a dark pink overlay. It seemed out of place. Then I saw a photo of Catherine standing at the podium and in the long shot it created an illusion that the dark pinkish-red bandage was an off the shoulder neckline. It didn't look vulgar or trashy but, that cream grates on me.

I have to admit I was slightly puzzled as to the neckline being cream when the rest was white with a dark pink overlay. It seemed out of place. Then I saw a photo of Catherine standing at the podium and in the long shot it created an illusion that the dark pinkish-red bandage was an off the shoulder neckline. It didn't look vulgar or trashy but, that cream grates on me.

I think Kate’s skin showing through the white fabric (as the white fabric seems unlined at the shoulders) is what you are seeing. In other photos it matches the lined skirt.

I think the pink gown is stunning the addition of the maroon or deeper red ribbon and evening bag brilliant I love it and don't normally rave about her stuff I love the earrings with it I want the whole look

The Duchess of Cambridge, patron of 100 Women in Finance's Philanthropic Initiatives, attends a Gala Dinner in aid of ‘Mentally Healthy Schools’ at the Victoria and Albert Museum, London :

*Full View*

Catherine is wearing Gucci this evening.

Shoes are Oscar De La Renta and handbag is Prada.

I love the colors but I'm not fond of the design.

I really had to step back and let time pass and look at this dress again and again and again and realize that it totally comfuzzled me. There are elements such as the colors that I like and there's the element of the criss cross bodice that brings Madonna's cones to mind. Its perhaps a mixture of Grecian dress design and something out of a Lawrence of Arabia tale but missing the veils.

I've decided its not one of Kate's best at all and perhaps relegated to the "mistake" pile.

I am having trouble trying to describe the colour to my sister. Any help please? Thanks in advance.

From the colors on my monitor, my first gut reaction would be a pale pink and rose blush colors.

Ok thank you Osipi. Rose blush sounds good.

I don't think it is tacky at all. It is a gown that is a throw-back to the 1930s and 1940s which anyone can see if looking at old black and white Jean Harlow, Myrna Loy, Greer Garson films. .

I watch films if that era regularly and quite enjoy those fashions. This gown fits nothing like them.

I laughed when I read the gown described as tacky, having seen endless celebrities at the two awards ceremonies last weekend.whose outfits were certainly in this category. Tacky means ostentatious or vulgar. I can’t see how this describes Kate’s appearance at all.

Perhaps I chose the wrong word. I meant that it is cheap-looking and amateurish in construction. Ugly is another word for it. Not in bad taste as in being vulgar but in bad taste as in being unattractive and lacking elegance.

I like the cut and colour of this dress but find myself asking if silver or some such would have been better for her clutch and shoes. Personally, I am finding the plush nude look texturally jarring.

Simply beautiful!

It´s a pretty dress but the shoes she´s paired them with and the sheen of the panthose aren´t my favorite.

Now that really is a 40's style dress and would have benefited from the addition of metallic finish strappy shoes and matching clutch. A vintage hairstyle would have knocked it out of the park.

Perhaps silver shoes and clutch would have looked better, but the dress is beautiful. Catherine looks wonderful!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom