The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear Part 9: November 2018 - November 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At first I was hesitant about the dress, but it is growing on me.
(Reminds me of one Jackie Kennedy wore- her wedding dress maybe?)

Wonder why so many ladies wore white?
Though it shows up well against the red so prevalent at BP.

At first I was hesitant about the dress, but it is growing on me.
(Reminds me of one Jackie Kennedy wore- her wedding dress maybe?)

Wonder why so many ladies wore white?
Though it shows up well against the red so prevalent at BP.
And Jackie Kennedy hated her wedding dress...

Mirabel;2227952 Wonder why so many ladies wore white? Though it shows up well against the red so prevalent at BP.[/QUOTE said:
Ladies of the BRF often wear white for stat occasions as it is a versatile colour to offset the sashes, RFO, and the jewellery they wear.

If she were going to wear white...I'd of rather seen her BAFTA dress again, it was very elegant.

LaRae

If she were going to wear white...I'd of rather seen her BAFTA dress again, it was very elegant.

LaRae

Lovely as the BAFTA dress was, I don't think would have worked well with the sash and RFO

I like the dress, just that her, the queen , melania, ,camilla all in white! kind of boring, was this arrange?

I like the dress, just that her, the queen , melania, ,camilla all in white! kind of boring, was this arrange?

The Queen and Camilla always wear white to state occasions now, an it is possible the Kateccoukd follow that dress code. I do t think this would have been discussed with Melania beforehand

I don't dislike the overall look, but there's something off to me...don't know what it is, honestly...maybe because the dress look rather cheap? Prom dress? Not horrid, it's a fine dress, but not regal...I don't know...

Lovely as the BAFTA dress was, I don't think would have worked well with the sash and RFO

Maybe not...guess it would depend on how they could finagle things. I'd rather of seen something she's worn before than this one though.

LaRae

Not my favorite evening gown for Catherine, but I like this one much better than the crumpled blue taffeta she wore to a previous state dinner. This one has potential, and is really lovely in motion. I just wish that her posture was better in this dress, since I think it would look much, much better if she stood with her shoulders back.

Hair, jewelry, orders are all wonderful.

So boring with the usual suspects. Catherine looks amazing!

I,think what is wrong with the dress is that she needs a necklace. All of the Royal ladies, even Anne, have a necklace or choker. Her spare chest area looks even barer as such

OK. I'm going to give my first impression of Kate's dress. The word "swan" came to mind as the rows of ruffles resemble feathers and I laughed at my thought "is she going to molt over dinner?". Not one of my favorite gowns for Kate at all.

She did look truly regal though with wearing her GCVO and the RFO.

Q

If I ever complain about how boring McQueen is, hit me over the head with this :bang:

The color looks great with the orders. And the overall style is regal, and not her usual 'fairy tale princess' or the 60s taffetra prom dress from last time. But that's where it ends.

The dress looks like a feather duster exploded on her. Worried she will molt :lol:

Her hair looks beautiful and the jewels though.

I,think what is wrong with the dress is that she needs a necklace. All of the Royal ladies, even Anne, have a necklace or choker. Her spare chest area looks even barer as such
I think she took the "less-is-more" mantra and made sure her GCVO had the central focus tonight. Even the Lovers Knot tiara blended into the whole look.

OK. I'm going to give my first impression of Kate's dress. The word "swan" came to mind as the rows of ruffles resemble feathers and I laughed at my thought "is she going to molt over dinner?". Not one of my favorite gowns for Kate at all.

She did look truly regal though with wearing her GCVO and the RFO.

Agreed - she looked more complete wearing the GCVO and RFO. So happy the Queen has bestowed both on Catherine - she certainly deserves it!

As I have said in the past, I can't stand McQueen. This one looks like a shag carpet. It's not the worst one she has ever worn but close.

I think Catherine's dress looks OK but I agree it looks a bit like a wedding dress, which is always the potential problem with white. The neckline is quite wide, so calls out for a necklace and the lack of one is jarring to me.

I love the Dress! And no, this is no wedding Dress at all :)
Bye Bine

I don't like the fact it's white, I wish it was a different colour which would frankly make the whole thing look better but it just looks like a wedding dress.

I'm quite sure how she does that, when it's Sarah who designs Catherines dresses for McQueen.

Well I think Burton has done a terrible job with the brand so there is that.

But even then, few of what Kate wears resembles Burton's designs which tells me Kate drives the vision for her McQueen formal wear, not Burton. Which makes sense with custom work of course.

Nice enough for the state dinner but nothing wow
Overalky Duchess Kate looks lovely.

I love the fit of the dress' bodice and the full skirt but like many I am not a fan of the small ruffles. However it did showcase the RVO order in a lovely way IMO.
Great tiara hairstyle and softer eye makeup add to overall regal appearance IMO.

Nix on the dress. It looks like a floofy bed spread. :eek:

Well I think Burton has done a terrible job with the brand so there is that.

But even then, few of what Kate wears resembles Burton's designs which tells me Kate drives the vision for her McQueen formal wear, not Burton. Which makes sense with custom work of course.
Ain´t that the truth.

I dislike the dress. It´s an ugly wedding dress and an extremely basic interpretation of the Oyster dress designed by Alexander McQueen himself.

I love the fit of the dress' bodice and the full skirt but like many I am not a fan of the small ruffles. However it did showcase the RVO order in a lovely way IMO.
Great tiara hairstyle and softer eye makeup add to overall regal appearance IMO.

The skirt isn't bad, but the bodice execution falls apart for some reason. It also just looks "heavy" on her too. Like she is having to literally drag the dress.

But very true that one thing to Burton's credit, she is impeccable with fit.

I usually don't like McQueen on Kate and this is no exception. Very ugly dress and wrong colour.

For all the people slagging Sarah Burton, she's been head of womenswear at McQueen since 2000. So many of the dresses from the last 20 years are actually her creations.

Probably not the thread for this, but...Catherine shook hands with someone during the entry procession. I think it might have been Steve Mnuchin’s wife, the actress Louise Linton.

For all the people slagging Sarah Burton, she's been head of womenswear at McQueen since 2000. So many of the dresses from the last 20 years are actually her creations.

Yes, thanks. Many of us follow fashion very closely and know this.

But my point still stand that under her overall leadership, I have found the creativity and innovation of the brand has gone down hill. It lost something with Lee's death and therefore lost of his overall visionary guidance.

Some of her work is still amazing, but she has fallen into a certain set of styles and has not branched out much from that. The more interesting aspects of her work, Kate doesn't even utilize. Kate seems to use Burton more as a general Couturier than any interest in the elements of the brand's body of work. She obviously trusts Burton and that is probably most important to her. But the elements of say a brand like Packham are more in line with her aesthetic

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom