The Coronation of King Charles III and Queen Camilla, 6 May 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I was Prime Minister I would absolutely have intervened. It is beyond understanding that the President of neighbouring France (whom is also Co-Prince of Andorra by the way), representing a country of immense importance to all possible British interests, has to be seated at row 20.

:ohmy:

I suppose the diplomatic protocol is correct to some extend. If you go by length of reign you will see a reigning Prince of Liechtenstein going ahead of the presidents of China or the US and the Prince of Monaco ahead of the president of France. It just 'feels' rather odd in this day and age. But if you start to make exceptions it wil lead to a nightmare for the chef de protocol who needs to decide who is important enough to skip the normal diplomatic protocol and who is not.

I understand the seating was limited and it was a tough job to organise and with so very many heads of state attending it was almost impossible to get right. But still... the president of France on row 20 and I don't even know where they put Dr Biden. They may want to re-think some parts of this arrangement for the next time.

The only ceremony with more heads of state attending may be the enthronement of HH the Pope. But for the organisers it helps that the square of the Vatican is naturally much larger and has much more 'good seats' than the inside of Westminster Abbey.

Durham said:
This needs to be looked at. Republican heads of state should be seated with the same prominence as monarchical ones. Maybe one side for monarchies & the other for republics. Or directly facing each other as groups. They can then still be seated according to length of reign/term.

That sounds like a sensible plan to me. Or at least divide the group in two so everybody is more to the front. But I am sure they must have thought about that themselves and ruled against it for reasons unknown to us. I don't know what group of people was sitting opposite to the royals and heads of state as the camera did not show that side of the congregation at all IIRC.

I am not sure how they did it for the funeral of QEII. The European royals went first. After that a group of non-European royals and after that only presidents? Or were they seated elsewhere? The arrangements certainly have been updated.

Last edited:
There was something for the foreign royals!!! On their Instagram @istana_negara the Malaysian royals posted photos with the other foreign royals in an unidentified room. Maybe someone can identify it as Westminster Abbey or elsewhere. Are there photos of the foreign royals leaving at the same time as the other guests?

There may have been but it wasn't recognised as an official event with British royals in attendance.

Thank you.

I think this is Church House Westminster, the HQ of the Church of England.

That would make perfect sense given its proximity to the Abbey!

My comment was in jest .

There appears to have been a reception possibly in a Hotel judging from the photos below.
Again, the differences between 1953 and this coronation could not have been bigger. After the late Queen´s coronation all the royal guests were brought back to Buck. Palace to witness the young Queen´s return in the Golden State coach from various windows of the Palace. After that the 1st balcony appearance, Elizabeth had to do encore after encore. At night there was a huge coronation banquet at the Palace and the Queen, now changed in an evening dress and wearing a tiara, reappeared on the balcony again - the square around the Victoria Memorial was still crowded with people...

Again, the differences between 1953 and this coronation could not have been bigger. After the late Queen´s coronation all the royal guests were brought back to Buck. Palace to witness the young Queen´s return in the Golden State coach from various windows of the Palace. After that the 1st balcony appearance, Elizabeth had to do encore after encore. At night there was a huge coronation banquet at the Palace and the Queen, now changed in an evening dress and wearing a tiara, reappeared on the balcony again - the square around the Victoria Memorial was still crowded with people...

The route back to BP was much shorter than in 53 so there wouldn't have been time for guests to make it back to the palace before The King.

Hopefully the next coronation will be held in less troubling times when there is more of an appetite for these sort of events. And of course the next monarch will be younger at their accession.

Nothing so difficult as an Order of Precedence but as most important neighbour (even the Irish might agree) I would always have placed the President of France, Co-Prince of Andorra, at the first row.

I doubt the doyenne of European Sovereigns (Margrethe II, widowed to the French Henri de Laborde de Monpezat) or the guest with the highest anciennity (Carl XVI Gustaf from the originally French Bernadottes) would not understand.

Liechtenstein was the odd one. It would be correct if Fürst Hans Adam had been there. But even if they started counting in the year of Alois' regency (2004) he would have to be seated after the Lux. Grand Duke.
Perhaps the placed him according to his fathers reign and therefore before Luxemburg but with the Monarchs as he is the Regent.

If I was Prime Minister I would absolutely have intervened. It is beyond understanding that the President of neighbouring France (whom is also Co-Prince of Andorra by the way), representing a country of immense importance to all possible British interests, has to be seated at row 20.
:ohmy:

Yeah, but a coronation is a feudal event, not a day-to-day political one! The politicians, which came on democratically formed ways into positions of power - they come and they go, as one can expect from the political adventurers they are.

The UK had how many Prime ministers in the last 12 months? 3 or 4? My... And the French President in question? He is not in calm waters too. Perhaps him sitting in the 20th row was joyfully seen by the next President from today's opposition...

The route back to BP was much shorter than in 53 so there wouldn't have been time for guests to make it back to the palace before The King.

True but they could still have invited the guests for a Reception. Why not hold the Reception from Friday after the coronation.

But perhaps this would have been to tiring for the King and Queen given that the are not the youngest anymore.

Last edited:
I’m not too impressed. He seems to be set down in the throne so he appears slouched, the crown isn’t straight and his cloak isn’t arranged well.

Last edited:
I’m not too impressed. He seems to be set down in the throne so he appears slouched, the crown isn’t straight and his cloak isn’t arranged well.

I agree - it's very sloppy for the occasion. The problem might be that nobody was brave enough to try and rearrange him.

After the Investiture 2013, alike the Coronation 2023 also an event scheduled around Noon, a lunch was offered to the royal guests -including the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall. I remember this because it was held in the two War Council Chambers on the third floor of the Royal Palace Amsterdam: almost forgotten halls and not used for decades. That made me sure also King Charles and Queen Camilla will have offered a lunch to their royal guests, in the palace or somewhere else.

A lunch was held, but details of it were not made public.

I like the portrait, although I see what others have noted about his position. I'm not sure he's slouched, I think it may be the fit of his tunic bunching up. I wasn't a big fan of the purple tunic to begin with, and this is partly why.

That only looks so, Charles is tilting his head just a little bit.

Thats a great one, in the pure tradition : you can't be more regal !
Those who don't like it should go to Specsavers ...

A relaxed regality, I would say. I like it.

So it is like I had started to suspect, the Big Help Out had to be over first. The official photos close the entire thing.

Last edited:
I like the portrait, although I see what others have noted about his position. I'm not sure he's slouched, I think it may be the fit of his tunic bunching up. I wasn't a big fan of the purple tunic to begin with, and this is partly why.

I think you are right, it is just the way the tunic is bunched around the middle.

Perhaps a pic from the side like his mother's pic would have solved the Problem with the Tunic

Message from The King

As the Coronation weekend draws to a close, my wife and I just wanted to share our most sincere and heartfelt thanks to all those who have helped to make this such a special occasion.

We pay particular tribute to the countless people who have given their time and dedication to ensuring that the celebrations in London, Windsor and further afield were as happy, safe and enjoyable as possible.

To those who joined in the celebrations - whether at home, at street parties and lunches, or by volunteering in communities - we thank you, each and every one.

To know that we have your support and encouragement, and to witness your kindness expressed in so many different ways, has been the greatest possible Coronation gift, as we now rededicate our lives to serving the people of the United Kingdom, the Realms and Commonwealth.

Charles R

Critics are always very easy but don't forget that we are looking at a 74 years old man with a physical posture according to his age.
He's not as dashing as his very much younger mother at the same moment ( and Cecil Beaton was the master of airbrushing) still the majesty is clearly there.

Whole, working RF picture

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/live-exper.../5/8/57dc1b76-afc5-4936-8106-44981e3b53b6.jpg

I like it, probably the most of all of them but I think the arranging of everyone is a bit off. William and Catherine should both be on the top step along with Their Majesties and Anne and TMs need to be more in the centre under the canopy.
Lovely to see Princess Alexandra in the official group portrait.
I thought she look a little shook during the Service.

Back
Top Bottom