The Coronation of King Charles III and Queen Camilla, 6 May 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After seeing how prominent a place the pages had throughout the ceremony and on the balcony, the exclusion of girls from that role is even more conspicuous, especially after the various royal press releases highlighting inclusiveness.

(In case anyone says that "page" is a male term: Even if true, that is obviously not the reason why girls were not allowed to serve as child attendants; note also that Penny Mordaunt was called the Lord President of the Council.)

It could be interpreted as "the Word of the Christian Lord", perhaps.

I found it satisfying to see a non-Christian prime minister being treated as equal to a Christian prime minister in (I am quoting from the Church of England commentary) "read[ing], as has become modern custom seen at other State Ceremonies, by virtue of his public office, being the Prime Minister of the nation in which the Coronation takes place", but I thought it was amusingly ironic for a believer in the Hindu gods to read a passage saying that "he [the Christian god] is before all things". I suppose it's no more ironic than adding elements to the order of service to display inclusiveness of religious minorities in the same ceremony where the king swears an oath to defend the Anglican church's special privileges against the threat of religious equality and to do his best to ensure no non-Protestant ever becomes head of state.

The coronation oath is quite unsettling when the Human Rights Act ensures freedom of religion and equal rights in the UK, but. as stressed in the wording, it is mandated by law. In fact, if it were not for the coronation oath, there would be no legal requirement for a coronation to be even held in the first place.

That is why I said that I think that the whole thing will be gone when the Church of England is disestablished.

To be fair, other monarchies, e.g. Denmark, Norway and Sweden, also do require that the monarch and, directly or indirectly, people in the line of succession profess a particular faith or belong to a particular church, but they no longer have their kings or queens take an oath to defend the establishment of any particular religion.

Very moving ceremony, putting emphasis on life in service.

Apart from everything else, it made me a bit emotional seeing the older generation of the royal family, the Kent siblings, the Duke/Duchess of Gloucester ❤️

In the case of England though the King is also the head of the church, a position I guess no other royal has to fulfill.

In the case of England though the King is also the head of the church, a position I guess no other royal has to fulfill.

Queen Margrethe II of Denmark, Europe's longest-serving head of state, is also the supreme authority of the Church of Denmark.

Princess Anne's hat has been a huge hit on social media!

Just of course, a certain feather did the Lord's work. :lol:

Last edited:
Honestly I am not a fan of screen actors, pop singers and TV personalities replacing peers and peeresses, but I understand they were people who had been inducted into the order of the British Empire or held similar decorations.

Yes. Ant and Dec, the Saturday night TV presenters, work with the Prince's Trust, Maggie Smith and Joanna Lumley are both Dames, etc. The TV cameras just showed them because they're famous faces whom viewers would recognise.

Princess Anne's hat has been a huge hit on social media!

In 1953, where did those people sit? They had seating in front where they had a great view. Today, even George saw more than Will.

How many people are going to go home and see what they couldn’t see? Maybe they even snuck a look on their phones during

In 1953, they had added in an extra level, so lots of balconies everywhere.

I had the impression there were tv screens at various places in the Abbey (otherwise, I don't understand why Camilla would be looking to the left when an important part of the ceremony is taking place right next to her to her right).

Queen Margrethe II of Denmark, Europe's longest-serving head of state, is also the supreme authority of the Church of Denmark.

Thanks.

I guess that even if the Church of England is “downgraded” in the future, the monarch will always have a religious coronation ceremony of some sort, in order to mark the beginning of a new reign.

I have no need for any of the York ensemble any more than their Montecito first cousin. The people in the balcony are there to be remembered in a positive light for King Charles, not a photo op focusing on who's not there.

Beatrice and Eugenie have done nothing to embarrass the royal family. They can't help what their father and cousin have done.

After seeing how prominent a place the pages had throughout the ceremony and on the balcony, the exclusion of girls from that role is even more conspicuous, especially after the various royal press releases highlighting inclusiveness.

(In case anyone says that "page" is a male term: Even if true, that is obviously not the reason why girls were not allowed to serve as child attendants; note also that Penny Mordaunt was called the Lord President of the Council.)

It could be interpreted as "the Word of the Christian Lord", perhaps.

I found it satisfying to see a non-Christian prime minister being treated as equal to a Christian prime minister in (I am quoting from the Church of England commentary) "read[ing], as has become modern custom seen at other State Ceremonies, by virtue of his public office, being the Prime Minister of the nation in which the Coronation takes place", but I thought it was amusingly ironic for a believer in the Hindu gods to read a passage saying that "he [the Christian god] is before all things". I suppose it's no more ironic than adding elements to the order of service to display inclusiveness of religious minorities in the same ceremony where the king swears an oath to defend the Anglican church's special privileges against the threat of religious equality and to do his best to ensure no non-Protestant ever becomes head of state.

The reading was indeed very explicitly Christian and pretty clear about where redemption and forgiveness can be found. Imho, it was however fitting for a coronation, especially because it explains how earthly kings/reigns should be seen - serving the true King (as was also pointed out in other aspects of the ceremony with Charles being presented as a servant both of God and the people he is to reign over).

For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding; That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God; Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness; Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light; Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son: In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins: Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.
He was reading from the King James version.

Blog Real, thank you very much for the great and very detailed pictures of The Royals, extended family and guests attending !
Well done !

Thanks.

I guess that even if the Church of England is “downgraded” in the future, the monarch will always have a religious coronation ceremony of some sort, in order to mark the beginning of a new reign.

Why would there be a religious ceremony to mark the beginning of a new reign if for example the monarch would not longer be the Supreme Governor of the Church of England, and the CoE wouldn't have a special place anymore? Other monarchies also mark the beginning of a new reign but do so with a civil ceremony (that can also be made to look rather majestic - but won't have the same feel of partaking in an old and holy ritual) instead of a religious one.

While I very much appreciated the symbolism and focus on servanthood in this ceremony, I am a bit uncomfortable with the perception of Charles having some kind of priestly role "reflecting the two natures of Christ" and representing "humanity restored to its full dignity and glory in Christ" (see page 4 of the Order of Service).

Why would there be a religious ceremony to mark the beginning of a new reign if for example the monarch would not longer be the Supreme Governor of the Church of England, and the CoE wouldn't have a special place anymore? Other monarchies also mark the beginning of a new reign but do so with a civil ceremony (that can also be made to look rather majestic - but won't have the same feel of partaking in an old and holy ritual) instead of a religious one.

While I very much appreciated the symbolism and focus on servanthood in this ceremony, I am a bit uncomfortable with the perception of Charles having some kind of priestly role "reflecting the two natures of Christ" and representing "humanity restored to its full dignity and glory in Christ" (see page 4 of the Order of Service).

I believe there was a Thanksgiving Mass before King Philippe's enthronement, but I don't think it was televised. King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia famously had a public enthronment mass too, but the tradition was discontinued by King Felipe. According to the Spanish posters, King Felipe attended a private mass later on.

I think it is natural for monarchs who are sincerely religious like the Belgians to attend a church ceremony prior to their enthronement. The question is to what extent that should be private or public. Royal weddings and funerals are public, even though they are also religious ceremonies of a confessional nature, so I am unsure about that.

Regarding Louise and James on the Balcony, I think that its fine. They are still young, live at home and not set up in households with Spouses and Children.

I think that The Edinburgh's are finally in the last 3 years getting the recognition deserved as dignified, dependable and solid Senior Royals. Without fanfare too.
Their Children are in a "kinda* different position to their much older cousins, Peter, Zara and The York Girls. I doubt the Cousins really cared. Hope not anyway.

The now Edinburgh Family all seem appear to be great favorites with The Wales Family too. And Louise is attending St Andrew's University too. Where William and Kate met.

Last edited:
I wonder if those crown princes and especially presidents seating in the back could actually see anything. I have always found the seating plan at Westminster Abbey very inadequate for the congregation.

On a more "liturgical" note, as a Catholic, I can't help saying how surprised I am to see the consecration of the bread and wine being made in high Protestant churches with the minister facing the altar and turning his back to the congregation as it used to be the case in the past in the Roman Catholic Church, but has since been long abandoned.
As a fellow Roman Catholic, I noticed the same today. Mentally I was giving the responses too.;)

I believe there was a Thanksgiving Mass before King Philippe's enthronement, but I don't think it was televised. King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia famously had a public enthronment mass too, but the tradition was discontinued by King Felipe. According to the Spanish posters, King Felipe attended a private mass later on.

I think it is natural for monarchs who are sincerely religious like the Belgians to attend a church ceremony prior to their enthronement. The question is to what extent that should be private or public. Royal weddings and funerals are public, even though they are also religious ceremonies of a confessional nature, so I am unsure about that.

It's an interesting question: I do think a wedding and funeral for someone who him/herself is religious should be according to their personal beliefs; however, if the 'state' comes in, it brings additional questions.

To have a separate religious ceremony in the case of someone ascending the throne might make sense. In this case, I am not sure that the future king for example while a member of the CoE is a believer himself (and his wife being only confirmed just before their wedding suggests that she isn't either). His brother confirmed he isn't.

Some other monarchies continue to have official religious celebrations over the years as well, for example, the Te Deums at the Belgian national Day or the Octave for the Luxembourgian Grand Ducal family.

How was in the first row?

Hi!
Does anyone know the family in the photo sitting in the front row across from the Royal family?

axSmNqh

Attachments

• 5B86ED9D-13C0-49BD-9BC8-E89B3202F5A5.jpg
    5B86ED9D-13C0-49BD-9BC8-E89B3202F5A5.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 15
Regarding Louise and James on the Balcony, I think that its fine. They are still young, live at home and not set up in households with Spouses and Children.

I think that The Edinburgh's are finally in the last 3 years getting the recognition deserved as dignified, dependable and solid Senior Royals. Without fanfare too.
Their Children are in a "kinda* different position to their much older cousins, Peter, Zara and The York Girls. I doubt the Cousins really cared. Hope not anyway.

The now Edinburgh Family all seem appear to be great favorites with The Wales Family too. And Louise is attending St Andrew's University too. Where William and Kate met.

James and Louise were not supposed to be in the Procession - they were literally added yesterday to aviod two gapping holes in the carriage caused by the lack of the Duke of Kent and Princess Alexander. I guess it was easier to place them in the carriage then selecting the York sisters or Andrew. Or leaving it open and have the press say it was meant for the Sussex;s.
I think it was just easier from then to allow then on the balcony. They could have waited with the Ladies in Waiting.
Off topic - but there is definitely something going on there with the Edinburgh's and Charles - from the titles to the change. We will just to wait and see.

I believe there was a Thanksgiving Mass before King Philippe's enthronement, but I don't think it was televised.

That was the annual Te Deum for the National Day, which happened to be on the same day as the change of Throne.

Hi!
Does anyone know the family in the photo sitting in the front row across from the Royal family?

axSmNqh

That seems to be the Queens Family as there are her son, daughter and son-in-law and her former husband

Last edited by a moderator:
James and Louise were not supposed to be in the Procession - they were literally added yesterday to aviod two gapping holes in the carriage caused by the lack of the Duke of Kent and Princess Alexander. I guess it was easier to place them in the carriage then selecting the York sisters or Andrew. Or leaving it open and have the press say it was meant for the Sussex;s.
I think it was just easier from then to allow then on the balcony. They could have waited with the Ladies in Waiting.
Off topic - but there is definitely something going on there with the Edinburgh's and Charles - from the titles to the change. We will just to wait and see.
There was no gapping whole. It is very usual only two people facing the horses sitting in a carriage! All seats taken in a carriage is more unusual.

Great to see the Earl and Countess of Airlie in attendance. I guess the Earl is the only person who has attended all three latest coronations.

Also interesting that most carriages in the British collection are without a coachman. The horses are - in pairs- steered by postillons or riding servants seated on horseback, instead of a coachman.

I used to like The Guardian, but they seem to be on a vendetta against the monarchy. Even today they have no other headline than "King Charles crowned amid protests and celebrations" pfffff the vinegar must have been in sale over there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know why the Wales family were behind Charles and Camilla in the entrance procession - I’ve read varying accounts of whether it was planned to be like that vs a last minute change.

Does anyone know why the Wales family were behind Charles and Camilla in the entrance procession - I’ve read varying accounts of whether it was planned to be like that vs a last minute change.

The published order of service has them arriving before, and being in their seats prior to the arrival of The King and Queen.

However the car they were in departed Buckingham Palace behind the coach carrying The King and Queen. They also arrived, and waited at Westminster an amount of time that would have allowed them to correct this and still enter before the King.

For a reason, we will probably never know, it was decided they would walk behind The King and Queen.

First, even if the CoE loses its current status, that does not mean the King cannot keep his post as Supreme Governor, a tradition tracing back to the CoE own origins.

Second, even if they scrap some of the more traditional religious parts, there’s no need to exclude everything. The POTUS inauguration usually has many Christian features, yet there’s not really a discussion about it.

It was very strange to hear a non-Christian (hindu) secular politician reading an Epistle. Very strange for me, used to separation of Church and State. And the PM definitely is State...

Why weren't the Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra in the carriage procession? I thought they'd be there, like the Gloucesters. BTW, the Duchess of Gloucester looked amazing but that's nothing new. I've always admired her style. And she (and Sophie, of course) had headpieces that were in line with Catherine's not-tiara. I was very glad to see the Duke and Duchess in prominent seats. They were always the late Queen's troopers. They deserve the recognition.

Back
Top Bottom