State Visit from the President of the United States: June 3-5, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last edited:
OMG, just thinking about that. Putin had the same wardrobe feature when he had a state dinner with HM.

Kevlar body armour underneath. I remember people thinking that Obama's suits were always "too big" on him for the same reason. A US Secret Service requirement.

I think Prince Charles will always win the gentleman's sartorial prize of any group he is in. Consistently excellent!

Oh I have seen a lot of comments this week about how no "minor" royals attend the state dinners which is why Harry is irrelevant to the BRF, yada yada. Yet this was one of the biggest turnouts for a state dinner and was attended by royals lower in rank than Harry. So how does that work again? Or it is just about Harry (and Meghan)? Funny that.

Also fun fact that other then HMQ that the person who has attended the most state dinners has been Anne's husband.

And no one should be surprised the Trumps all attending. This is what this family does.

Harry not attending the state dinner obviously had nothing to do with rank as lower ranked royals often attend events like that. And the DM’s main.criticism of Harry was not that he is a junior royal , but rather that he was avoiding Trump, including when they met privately for lunch at Buckingham Palace. Most likely that is true.

Harry not attending the state dinner is not untoward or even the snub that the Sun and DM are desperately trying to make it. And it has nothing to do with his position in the line of succession given people wayyyy far below him attend. Even Charles has missed some of them over the years and the Cambridges rarely do anything for state visits but the state dinner and them attending the dinners is a fairly recent thing. I imagine that if Meghan had not just given birth, Harry and Meghan would both have been in attendance for the state dinner.

But given his son is barely a month old, Harry probably is trying to minimize his number of full days away from home. Hence, afternoon lunch to do his "part" and then home.

I would expect we will see the Sussexes at most state dinners going forward, if they are not on tour or maternity leave.

Goodness, Meghan has been seen once in nearly 3 months, but the tabloids continue to find ways to make her and/or Harry the story even when there is plenty of other fodder at hand.

Last edited:
The protests are starting to begin and Trump Baby is back

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnew...-takes-sky-mass-protests-us/story?id=63470637

Now they're bringing in Trump sitting on the toilet? I know his team is definitely going to make sure that image doesn't get back to him because the Tweet storm would be massive.

Harry giving Trump a wide berth at lunch is understandable given what Trump said about Meghan. Harry may have backed out due to concern he would say or do something that would garner worse headlines. I know this is business but to me he wins husband cool points.

I tried to find pictures of the Cambridges interacting with the Trumps from the banquet but I couldn't find any. I found pictures of a Trump standing near Kate. Since the press was making such at stink about Harry I'm curious about William and Kate.

It is unlikely you will find pics of them with the Trumps. We get very few pics from these events and the focus is generally on the Queen and visiting leader, then Charles and Camilla.

They likely mingled/met before the dinner when the principles are taking the formal pics (you can see Kate in the background of the pic with the Trump kids looking up at the ceiling for some reason), but that is very likely the extent of the Cambridges interaction with the Trumps.

State Visit by the President of the United States: June 3-5, 2019

Lara Trump’s gown reminds me of the gown worn by Crown Princess Mary during the Macron visit to Denmark. — except Mary’s gown had a sash. I don’t like the collar of Ivanka’s gown. Tiffany’s gown is pretty. Unfortunately, she seems to have gained a great deal of weight in law school. And — her hair ???? JMHO

Personally, I think Harry's attendance (or lack of it) with anything to do with this state visit points to the fact that he's also on paternity leave. As has been stated before, he probably does engagements and appearances where he's not gone from home and family for overly long.

For me its a case of Occam's razor.

I believe you’re correct, but don’t forget the simple fact that Harry and Meghan are no fans of Trump and his giant ego. If the Obama’s were coming to town I’m certain they would have all made it along with baby Archie!

There is no basis for a comment like this. The woman gave birth less than a month ago. And they certainly wouldn’t bring a baby less than a month old out for this.

And there are other royals who will only attend one event during this state visit. Why are they not being called out, but Harry is?

Yes, I thought the same as well. I mean Anne, Edward and Andrew are all below Harry and they attended. Than I thought some would say, oh they are children of the Queen. Which is fine, I have no issue with that. But than I remembered the Gloucesters and the Kents would most likely attend. And they are the grandchildren of a Monarch...which is the same as Harry!

IMO since Meghan is on maternity leave and Harry has never been a regular state dinner banqueter (like what I did there), he was like...I'll attend the welcome ceremony and that's that.

I imagine it will be different during Charles reign. Than we shall see more of Harry and Meghan.

Harry and Meghan will most likely attend the State Banquets. It’s just that this time, Meghan, is on maternity leave and I don’t think Harry had the desire to attend without his wife and Trumps comment didn’t help. If, Meghan, wasn’t on maternity leave and Trump hadn’t made the comment he made, I think the couple would’ve been there.

As we’ve seen with, Charles, the royals have some kind of flexibility on which State Banquet they would like to attend. If there’s a fall State Visit, I suspect Harry and Meghan will attend.

Last edited:
Not everything is about Harry and Meghan, in spite of the tabloids' and some fans' attempts to drag them up at every opportunity. If the Queen had wanted Harry and Meghan at the State banquet, they would have been there, no matter their personal opinions of Trump and his plethora of family members. Harry will show up when he is required to be in attendance, just as all the other members of the BRF do. As far as he and Meghan not being at the banquet goes, there was never any reason at all to believe they would be, considering that she is on maternity leave, and he appears to be working a reduced schedule for the same reason.

Not everything is about Harry and Meghan, in spite of the tabloids' and some fans' attempts to drag them up at every opportunity. If the Queen had wanted Harry and Meghan at the State banquet, they would have been there, no matter their personal opinions of Trump and his plethora of family members. Harry will show up when he is required to be in attendance, just as all the other members of the BRF do. As far as he and Meghan not being at the banquet goes, there was never any reason at all to believe they would be, considering that she is on maternity leave, and he appears to be working a reduced schedule for the same reason.

I’m not trying to make this about Harry and Meghan. I’m just personally stating that if it wasn’t for maternity leave, the Sussexes would’ve been there. The family do have some flexibility on attending State Banquets. It was a nice royal turnout.

Why is everyone so fixated on Harry's absence at the State Dinner. Doesn't anyone remember that Charles and Camilla didn't attend the State Dinner for the China visit?! God knows, C & C weren't on maternity/paternity leave -- they were enjoying a quiet night at Clarence House.

Harry attended the lunch, and William and Kate attended the Banquet. Why are we calling out Harry for not attending the Banquet, and not calling out William for not attending the lunch?

Also, Harry has not taken paternity leave; he has noticeable been doing quite a lot of engagements - which even made some quarters to claim he is not spending enough time with the Baby.

Last edited:
Why is everyone so fixated on Harry's absence at the State Dinner. Doesn't anyone remember that Charles and Camilla didn't attend the State Dinner for the China visit?! God knows, C & C weren't on maternity/paternity leave -- they were enjoying a quiet night at Clarence House.

Right. There’s some understanding flexibility involved. Harry attended the lunch and kept his respected distance. We’ll be seeing them attending State Visits though.

Last edited:
Lara Trump’s gown reminds me of the gown worn by Crown Princess Mary during the Macron visit to Denmark. — except Mary’s gown had a sash. I don’t like the collar of Ivanka’s gown. Tiffany’s gown is pretty. Unfortunately, she seems to have gained a great deal of weight in law school. And — her hair ???? JMHO

Melania Trump seems to have taken HER inspiration for her white evening gown with sheer shoulders from-you guessed it-Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy.:cool:

See State Dinner for His Excellency President Houphet Boigny of the Ivory Coast in May 22 1962, Kennedy White House.

File:Houphouet-Boigny Kennedy.jpg...I knew I had seen that dress before.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...ennedy.jpg/600px-Houphouet-Boigny_Kennedy.jpg

Sorry I am at work and can't cut and paste photos...but Melania's gown is virtually the same with a minor modification at the breast.

Last edited:

I agree that this isn't about Harry and Meghan, but we aren't the once making this about them by continuouly criticizing them for not going to the banquet.

Last edited:
According to CNN, Melania will be at a garden party with Mr May while Mrs May talks trade deals with Trump.

Always awkward to be the husband of a female president or prime minister.

Tbh I didn't know Angela Merkel was even married until a few years ago.

ITV mentioned this today, there appears to be a softening of opinion in regards to the president.

Newspapers are not as critical, commentary isn't as critical. So far a successful visit imo.

There is no basis for a comment like this. The woman gave birth less than a month ago. And they certainly wouldn’t bring a baby less than a month old out for this.

And there are other royals who will only attend one event during this state visit. Why are they not being called out, but Harry is?

It seems to me that, rather than calling Harry out for not attending the State Banquet, some are congratulating him for "taking a stand" and avoiding President Trump. Which would be childish and unprofessional if true.

There was no expectation by sensible people of Meghan attending any of this visit since the baby is less than a month old.

Last edited:
It seems to me that, rather than calling Harry out for not attending the State Banquet, some are congratulating him for "taking a stand" and avoiding President Trump. Which would be childish and unprofessional if true.

There was no expectation by sensible people of Meghan attending any of this visit since the baby is less than a month old.

My boy, Harry, did very well. ;)

I loved seeing the grandeur of the welcoming ceremony and State Banquet. Nobody does it better than the British.

VIDEO: Donald Trump asks Theresa May what the NHS is. She tells him it is the ‘National Health Service.’

He then says that the NHS is on the table during trade talks. How reassuring!

Good grief.

The American ambassador has mentioned this already.

UK law prohibits the NHS to be negotiated in trade deals so it's a nonstarter

Melania Trump seems to have taken HER inspiration for her white evening gown with sheer shoulders from-you guessed it-Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy.:cool:

See State Dinner for His Excellency President Houphet Boigny of the Ivory Coast in May 22 1962, Kennedy White House.

File:Houphouet-Boigny Kennedy.jpg...I knew I had seen that dress before.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...ennedy.jpg/600px-Houphouet-Boigny_Kennedy.jpg

Sorry I am at work and can't cut and paste photos...but Melania's gown is virtually the same with a minor modification at the breast.

Yes Melania Trump's dress resembles Jackie Kennedy's

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/17/Houphouet-Boigny_Kennedy.jpg/600px-Houphouet-Boigny_Kennedy.jpg

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/06/03/23/14323800-7098297-Melania_Trump_and_the_Prince_of_Wales_arrive_through_the_East_Ga-m-90_1559599590037.jpg

The American ambassador has mentioned this already.

UK law prohibits the NHS to be negotiated in trade deals so it's a nonstarter

That's not the impression the US officials are under. :lol: And certainly, when asked, Theresa May did not make it clear it is off the table.

And given the power of big pharma money in US politics, this will be a sticking point.

This has given me the fear. The NHS is not perfect but I will take that over what America has.

Given what I've heard when I met people through my travels, I don't think any of the developed nations would trade healthcare with us. No matter how much they might complain about it otherwise.

This is the lady who supposedly had an affair with Prince William. Why did they invite her.

Probably because her husband is the Lord Great Chamberlain and is pretty much always at these things. I think he and Earl Peel, the Lord Chamberlain of the Royal Household walk ahead of HM in the procession into the banquet.

Back
Top Bottom