"Spare" memoir by the Duke of Sussex (2023)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I see two problems with Harry and Meghan returning, the first being a lack of trust on both sides. Harry is making it crystal clear that he doesn’t trust the institution his father leads, almost to the point of being paranoid (although that might be him playing up the drama to sell the book, Netflix series, etc). And surely Charles and the rest of the family realize they can never trust Harry again, with or without Meghan.

The second problem is that even if they were able to come to some sort of agreement it wouldn’t last. Everything would be good for a month or two and then Harry or Meghan would want something that they couldn’t have and things would start to spiral again.

Harry and Meghan need to kept at arm’s length for good. They’re unstable people who thrive on drama and destruction. These are characteristics that will enable them to fit in nicely with a certain segment of the American entertainment industry and that will have to be enough.

"Spare" memoir by the Duke of Sussex (2023)

I consider myself pretty ears to the ground on the rumblings surrounding the family, and I haven't heard a whisper of Harry or Meghan "getting what they want" or anything similar.

I think in whatever quarters such murmurings may have existed, these clips just put paid to that.

Agreed. It’s the same thing all over again based on the clips. I know they need to be heard in full context, but it sounds like the same thing all over again.

Harry would like to reconcile, but Charles and William are casting them (the Sussexes) as “villains.”

So- Harry is the victim. Again. Harry is never responsible for anything that goes wrong. It reminds me of Oprah where he said he’d like to get along with his family- in an interview that bashed them and the institution aka Family Business. Same thing.

Now BP are blamed for the last 6 years.

I DO find it interesting that Harry’s interview is with 60 Minutes. That has been a very respectable news show. It’s not fluff. Anderson Cooper is on both CNN and 60 Minutes. Interesting to me that this is airing on 60 Minutes, which is by far, the better of the two imo. So, we’ll see what happens. I would expect on a program like that for Harry to be challenged.

I don’t believe the supposed rumblings at this time either. If HIHO was unacceptable in 2020, why would it be now? The Sussexes are much more disliked in the UK now. They’ve said numerous nasty things about their family, the family business, and the UK in general since then. The BRF have also shown they are doing just fine at moving on without them while the Sussexes live in the past.

Last edited:
At the core, the problem is that Harry and Meghan are not (or no longer) willing to put serving the country above serving their own desires. And that makes them celebs and not royals.

I see two problems with Harry and Meghan returning, the first being a lack of trust on both sides. Harry is making it crystal clear that he doesn’t trust the institution his father leads, almost to the point of being paranoid (although that might be him playing up the drama to sell the book, Netflix series, etc). And surely Charles and the rest of the family realize they can never trust Harry again, with or without Meghan.

The second problem is that even if they were able to come to some sort of agreement it wouldn’t last. Everything would be good for a month or two and then Harry or Meghan would want something that they couldn’t have and things would start to spiral again.

Harry and Meghan need to kept at arm’s length for good. They’re unstable people who thrive on drama and destruction. These are characteristics that will enable them to fit in nicely with a certain segment of the American entertainment industry and that will have to be enough.

I think all trust is gone and That yes I agree they seem unstable. At least in terms of the royal world.

But if Harry and Meghan are welcomed back for things such as Trooping The Color, Ascot and Events like The Garter Ceremonies THAT would be a huge win for the Sussex's.
Public exposure as Royal Family Members participating in bread and butter "Pomp and Circumstance" .

if that's the case then I think it is most unlikely that the RF/Charles would let him and Meg participate in a lot of big royal events. They might be invited back for a holiday, but it would be a private holiday with perhaps one event like Trooping, where they would be among a crowd of the family on the balcony, and of no more importance than say Peter Phillips or Lady Helen Windsor. and they probably would not get much of a warm reception from the public so it would hardly add to their lustre in the US. The rest of their time would be spent in private with the RF at Sandringham or wherever they are living, and they would not be seen by the public. Harry and M might go to something like an Invictus event but there would be issues about security as that is still going on..

Last edited:
I DO find it interesting that Harry’s interview is with 60 Minutes. That has been a very respectable news show. It’s not fluff. Anderson Cooper is on both CNN and 60 Minutes. Interesting to me that this is airing on 60 Minutes, which is by far, the better of the two imo. So, we’ll see what happens. I would expect on a program like that for Harry to be challenged.

Yes, Harry has yet to be interviewed by a serious journalist. Cooper's not going to damage his reputation by not asking follow-up questions or giving the Duke yet another platform to spout off allegations or insinuations freely. And he's doing it without his wife.

Presumably the ITV interviewer will do the same.

Ahead of the release of his new memoire, the Duke of Sussex will be interviewed by Anderson Cooper on January 8th.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...anderson-cooper-interview-spare-b2254547.html

A trailer has been released:

Anderson Cooper is a first rate journalist with connections to the highest tier of British society. His mother was an American aristocrat, a Vanderbilt. His great great aunt was Consuelo Vanderbilt, Duchess of Marlborough.

He is familiar enough with that world to be able to interview Harry effectively and professionally, unlike Oprah and the Netflix people.

If Anderson goes soft I will be very disappointed.

Last edited:
Wouldn't these kind of interviews have an agreed line of enquiry in advance? Considering how carefully previous interviews have been arranged - with zero critical questions - I imagine much of the same will happen this time.

I can not see how the duke can return in the short run while he continues to villify his brother. Even if his accounts are true, the King can not allow his successor being undermined and being seen to side with his younger son over the heir.

Last edited:
Anderson's heavy hitting questions have been approved by Harry's team. The Sussex's are very much aware of the biggest points that have hit their popularity. And Anderson and Bradbury will ask some of these questions - they have been given them.
I expect that one of them will point out that they come across as whiny rich people milking the victim card. I will not be surprised if Anderson asks about the many irregularities in the Oprah interview - Harry will brush the interview aside staying that he was hurt, angry and not in a good mental place. Frustrated by the system, anxious about money and his family's security ect. I expect him to say that he regrets the interview now - especially due to the DOE and the Queen's health.
So yes - there will be hard hitting questions but orchestrated answers. both these interviews are very contrived and have been heavily placed together. They have to make Harry seem like a nice person in a bad situation - and not at all like the person he appears to be on the Oprah interview or Netflix show. And that has grown as a person due to these issues - that is what the book is about after all, and he needs to sell that book. So, they need to show remorse, personality growth, and adult taking responsibility for his actions - not a revengeful paranoid individual. That been said Harry will not want to seem to be stepping off his moral high tower - so we can expect the I will not stand for racism against my wife and children, I will protect them like I couldn't do my mother rants. We can also expect - I am my mother's son to continue - it polled very well.

Pretty much everything I dislike about Harry (and Meghan) has come out of their own mouths and via their actions. No one else had to do damn thing. But if you're going to make accusations, at this point be specific.

Wouldn't these kind of interviews have an agreed line of enquiry in advance? Considering how carefully previous interviews have been arranged - with zero critical questions - I imagine much of the same will happen this time.

I can not see how the duke can return in the short run while he continues to villify his brother. Even if his accounts are true, the King can not allow his successor being undermined and being seen to side with his younger son over the heir.

Yep, they would have agreed to the terms before the interview. Supposedly their friend Gail King was also in negotiations for an interview, but Anderson won out. So I’m not sure how hard hitting the Anderson interview will be. Since Tom Bradby is a friend of Harry’s, I’m not expecting anything but a softball interview.

I agree with you about not seeing Harry return. How can William, or Charles ever trust him again? How do they know that Harry and Meghan won’t go spilling private conversations to the media?

Yep, they would have agreed to the terms before the interview. Supposedly their friend Gail King was also in negotiations for an interview, but Anderson won out. So I’m not sure how hard hitting the Anderson interview will be. Since Tom Bradby is a friend of Harry’s, I’m not expecting anything but a softball interview.

I agree with you about not seeing Harry return. How can William, or Charles ever trust him again? How do they know that Harry and Meghan won’t go spilling private conversations to the media?

I dont think that it will be all that hard hitting. Im sure that Harry would never agree to questions that made him look bad.

What an interesting way to go about reconciling with your family. Slate them on Oprah, Netflix and in a book (I’m presuming) and then give interviews about how they leak about you, refuse to reconcile and say you want them back.

Now let’s be 300% honest what would you be thinking if this was a celebrity who did this to a family or an ex partner? I know what I would think and it would be all empathy towards a person who I didn’t think was that healthy.

Exactly! What planet is he living on to be surprised that the family hasn't reached out to apologize after the family has been trashed for money? Harry sounds like a petulant child.

I dont think that it will be all that hard hitting. Im sure that Harry would never agree to questions that made him look bad.

Of course not. Neither H or M want to be questioned about their part in all of this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anderson Cooper, like Tom Bradby, will only ask friendly questions. This is not about an election or anything challenging, it is to promote a book. It’s only going to ask questions that can rise curiosity for the book.

Harry's claim of "I would like to get my father and brother back" is nothing more than marketing at this point.

It is imperative that he and Meghan be seen as the victims in order for their series and books to keep selling. When the BRF don't respond to this statement (and they won't) it's meant to make Charles and William look like the uncaring villains who won't do anything to reach out to the poor little prince who has lost his family.

they may agree to one or 2 questions where they can give some kind of answer that will make it sound like they are facing tough questions, but they will still sound like they are OK. THey are not going to be on the ropes with any questions

I have to admit, I’m rather dreading the book, though I will read it and review it here. This is getting self-destructive on a level that’s difficult to watch. Forget Meghan, Harry is making it clear that he is a deeply entitled man who doesn’t think logically and clearly. For all his anger at having his own privacy invaded, he is now choosing to invade his family’s privacy in ways that tabloid media could only dream of.

I think that the topics / questions may have been agreed upon and Harry may be willing to address the questions because he is trying to promote his book and also continue on his ongoing quest to share his "truth".

The question is will the interviewers ask follow up questions regarding the "theys" that the Sussexes refer to, and also to provide specific incidents to support allegations being made, which Harry may be prepared to do because these may be things that he wrote about in his book.

From there it will be how will the public accept Harry's responses, and that could be further segmented into the UK public, the US public, the commonwealth, and the ROW (rest of the world).

P.S.
I suspect that the interviewers will ask follow up questions and for supporting details but I doubt that they will "grill" Harry and I don't even know if that is necessary. Maybe others have a different perspective, but of the portions that I saw of the interview that Prince Andrew did a few years ago, I don't think he was grilled, rather he was asked questions, he responded and things unfolded from there.

Last edited:
I agree with Queen Claude's assessment.
The interesting or dangerous part for Harry in this interview is that he simply isn't all that smart. He is also hampered by his delusional belief that The Institution is and was out to sideline and demean The Sussex's. Sorry, I don't buy any of that.

Very much like Andrew, who thought he was smarter and could easily handle the Emily Maitlis Interview, and finally put his controversial friendship with Epstein to rest. Move forward from it, AND boy did that blow up spectacularly.

Where I think the Palace went VERY wrong and started this mess inadvertently was decades ago when "The Boys" Duo narrative was crafted after Diana's death. And their roles-places were practically made equal. Lots of People bought into it and the Media promoted it to. Then later, it was William-Kate plus Harry on joint engagements. Seemed harmonious and played out well.
Then we had the "Fab Four" after Meghan married in. But after mere months cracks started to form as that scenario was unsustainable. Hierarchy and all, to quote Meghan.

William and Kate having children, a future King and senior line Royals and assuming more prominent public duties as their roles expanded.

Harry and Meghan feeling NOT respected as they felt they should. Not on "equal footing".

Two examples, one they wanted their OWN Press Office out of Frogmore after they split from Kensington Palace with the Cambridge's and that got firmly denied. They would be under the auspices of Buckingham Palace they were told.

Second, when in the Queens Christmas message of 2019, a picture of the Sussex's WAS NOT included on her table. Just pictures emphasizing The Succession. Her father George Vl, Charles and Camilla and the then Cambridge Family. Supposedly that incensed Harry. But why should it ? Was he ever going to " get it" ? He wasn't heir, but still incredibly popular and had a substantial role to play. Just not heir.

Pretty pathetic for this entitled and arrogant duo to feel that they deserved a place there when the Queens OWN other children didn't get placed in.
So it will be interesting to see how The Spare book addresses Harry (and Meghan's) grievances.

AND if Anderson Cooper pushes back and asks for specifics and *some * proof from the Sussex's and their never ending petulance. And now tirades about being lied about, victimized and now "villainized" about their place in The Institution.
Because, there is a chance, a small one granted, that this could indeed work out very poorly for Harry.

Last edited:
I agree with Queen Claude's assessment.
The interesting or dangerous part for Harry in this interview is that he simply isn't all that smart. He is also hampered by his delusional belief that The Institution is and was out to sideline and demean The Sussex's. Sorry, I don't buy any of that.

Very much like Andrew, who thought he was smarter and could easily handle the Emily Maitlis Interview, and finally put his controversial friendship with Epstein to rest. Move forward from it, AND boy did that blow up spectacularly.

Where I think the Palace went wrong was decades ago when "The Boys" Duo narrative was crafted after Diana's death, and their roles-places were practically made equal. Lots of People bought into it and the Media promoted it to. Then later, it was William-Kate plus Harry on joint engagements. Seemed harmonious and played out well.
Then we had the "Fab Four" after Meghan married in. But after mere months cracks started to form as that scenario was unsustainable. Hierarchy and all, to quote Meghan.

William and Kate having children, a future King and senior line Royals and assuming more prominent public duties as their roles expanded.

Harry and Meghan feeling NOT respected as they felt they should. Not on "equal footing".

Two examples, one they wanted their OWN Press Office out of Frogmore after they split from Kensington Palace with the Cambridge's and that got firmly denied. They would be under the auspices of Buckingham Palace they were told.
Second, when in the Queens Christmas message of 2019, a picture of the Sussex's WAS NOT included on her table. Just pictures emphasizing The Succession. Her father George Vl, Charles and Camilla and the then Cambridge Family. Supposedly that incensed Harry. But why should it ? Was he ever going to " get it" ? He wasn't heir, but still incredibly popular and had a substantial role to play. Just not heir.

Pretty pathetic for this entitled and arrogant duo to feel that they deserved a place there when the Queens OWN other children didn't get placed in.
So it will be interesting to see how The Spare book addresses Harry (and Meghan's) grievances.

AND if Anderson Cooper pushes back and asks for specifics and *some * proof from the Sussex's and their never ending petulance. And now tirades about being lied about, victimized and now "villainized" about their place in The Institution.
Because, there is a chance, a small one granted, that this could indeed work out very poorly for Harry.

I’m not sure it will work out any way for Harry. Confirmation bias will be at play all over the place. Papers will get mileage from it and it will be forgotten. Nothing about it sticks because there is no evidence of nothing. Charles was having an affair. Diana had some objective truth on her side. They throw allegations but they might as well be filing a hole with wet putty. It doesn’t work. Now if they are pushed for specifics may be different.

I have to admit, I’m rather dreading the book, though I will read it and review it here. This is getting self-destructive on a level that’s difficult to watch. Forget Meghan, Harry is making it clear that he is a deeply entitled man who doesn’t think logically and clearly. For all his anger at having his own privacy invaded, he is now choosing to invade his family’s privacy in ways that tabloid media could only dream of.
I generally only read and rarily post. But I really appreciated your summaries of the Netflix-series and I look forward to your summary of the book.

Thank you for taking this on and I certainly understand your apprehension.

Anderson Cooper is a first rate journalist with connections to the highest tier of British society. His mother was an American aristocrat, a Vanderbilt. His great great aunt was Consuelo Vanderbilt, Duchess of Marlborough.

He is familiar enough with that world to be able to interview Harry effectively and professionally, unlike Oprah and the Netflix people.

Anderson finds that world frivolous just like he did say about his maternal family’s social life and ways, so I doubt he would care whether Harry would actually tell the real truth or his own truth (whatever that means). Anderson’s most immediate tie to aristocracy was his mother’s aunt, Thelma Morgan who was once married to Viscount Furness, a shipping magnate and aristocrat with whom she had a son and she was King Edward VIII’s mistress before Wallis, and Anderson’s grandmother, Gloria had an affair with Nadezdha de Torby and briefly engaged to Prince Gottfried of Hohenlohe-Langenburg.

But more importantly, isn’t the book being released this month? Can someone give the date please? Now he seems serious on the book release after the initial pushback from the original dates. I am watching a post from 60 minutes where Harry tells his decision about giving the interview.

I wonder if Anderson actually will go hard or not? But I think not.

Last edited:
The book comes out January 9, the day after these interviews.

I’m not sure it will work out any way for Harry. Confirmation bias will be at play all over the place. Papers will get mileage from it and it will be forgotten. Nothing about it sticks because there is no evidence of nothing. Charles was having an affair. Diana had some objective truth on her side. They throw allegations but they might as well be filing a hole with wet putty. It doesn’t work. Now if they are pushed for specifics may be different.

I am hopeful that Anderson Cooper will be able to draw more from Harry then just references to they and them or the institution. He doesn't need to grill Harry just question in the right way. It is his reputation as much as anything at stake. If it is a walk over without Harry being asked to qualify any issues he raises it will reflect back on the interviewer as much as the interviewee.
I think most people are fed up with the accusations and hints , if Harry has something specific to say he needs to say it. The constant unspecified comments are like threats to the family, give me what I want or else I will say more.

HRHHermione,
Yes, another thanks for the analysis of the docu- realityseries and now the book.
Interesting little tidbit about Anderson Cooper. He said back a few years ago that he didnt plan on leaving his son an inheritance, he now has two.
He said, "College would be paid for AND THEN YOU GOTTA GET ON IT......he didn't intend to have some pot of gold for his son".

He also has a book about his Vanderbilt Family....Vanderbilt, The Rise and Fall of an American Dynasty. How his not to distant forefathers were amongst the richest in the world, and then LOST it all.

His perspective could be very interesting. Hopefully challenging and get some specifics. I just so hope it doesn't turn into a puff piece.

Last edited:

Within the American social class system, Anderson Cooper is definitely placed in the highest tier. He is a son of Gloria Vanderbilt and a Yale graduate. I don't know, however, his views on the United Kingdom and on the British monarchy. So, I am not sure what to expect from his interview with Harry. Hopefully he will be more neutral/ impartial than Oprah for example.

Last edited:
I wonder how much of this is genuinely Harry saying that he' was upset that he wasn't treated the same as his brother, or that they have hyped up this grievance because it plays well to people who dont know much about the RF? YOu would think that he always knew that he was not going to be king, or POW...

Anderson Cooper’s life has some elements in it which may give him a different perspective on the disfunction in Harry’s family.

His (Anderson’s) father died when Anderson was only 10. And when Anderson was 20, his 23 year old brother took his own life by suicide.

When you’ve lost members of your own nuclear family*, it makes it difficult to comprehend any reason that you would choose never to see them again. Charles (and William) would show themselves to be stronger men by finding a way to reconcile with Harry.

After all, Harry has made a mighty effort for many years to forgive and forget what his father did to their family.

*and this is something I know from my own life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom