Royalty (Fictional and Real) In Fictional Movies

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hey what about the "lion in winter," im not sure about the title. but its a movie with peter o toole and kate hepburn. kate was playin a princess of acquitane or somethin. i was gettin bored one afternoon and suddenly this was playin in one of those channels that play old movies. it was one of the best movies, i've seen. the acting was top notch and it had a great cast. this wasn't your typical over glossed hollywood movie. the set and the costumes really portrayed the middle ages very well. the score was also top notch.

and they're also makin a movie about... marie antoinette. the filming had already started, with kirsten dunst as marie antoinette. it is directed by sofia copolla. and it is being shot in the real Versailles palace in France.

The Marie-Antoinette movie looks horrible - the trailer has this new age rock music thing going on and it just ruined the whole effect.

In 1995 King Abdullah (Prince at the time) who is a big fan of Star Trek had a small role on one of the episodes called "Investigations".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:King_Abdullah_on_Star_Trek.jpg

I thought that The Prince and Me was a cute movie, but the producers of the movie should have done their research on the Danish royal family. When I was watching the movie with some friends I telling them that the real Queen of Denmark is not that young and she wasn't even a blond when she was younger and I went on and on. My friends were like "how do you know this stuff" or "what are you some royal expert". I told them I've always been interested in royalty and that you can easily look this stuff up on the internet.

politikgirl said:
The Marie-Antoinette movie looks horrible - the trailer has this new age rock music thing going on and it just ruined the whole effect.

I agree with you. I was so happy when I heard about a movie of Marie-Antoinette. I liked Sofia Coppola's last movie so I hoped that she would do a good job, but then....Kirsten Dunst as MA??????? And when I saw the trailer i was even more discouraged. A real pity.

Marengo said:
I agree with you. I was so happy when I heard about a movie of Marie-Antoinette. I liked Sofia Coppola's last movie so I hoped that she would do a good job, but then....Kirsten Dunst as MA??????? And when I saw the trailer i was even more discouraged. A real pity.
I'm eagerly looking forward to seeing the film. This 'postmodernist' version can play well, if it was done well. Neither Sofia nor her father, my favourite director, have ever left upset with their work.

I believe the Marie Antoinette movie will be great! I can't wait to see it!

I think a movie like the Princess Diaries would have been better if the Royal bits had been more realistic. A realstic girl bocoming a Princess is a better fantasy X

My favorite classic movie is Greta Garbo's Queen Christina. She did such a fabulous job playing the Swedish Queen who abdicated to join her lover.

Another great old classic movie based on real royals is Elizabeth and Essex with the great acting pair, Bette Davis playing Elizabeth I and Erroll Flynn playing her young dashing lover, the Earl of Essex.

Although not considered 'royalty' movies, a lot of the movies based on Shakespeare have kings and queens as their main characters: Richard III with Laurence Oliver was especially good. Vincent Price played a deliciously devilish henchman. Henry V with Laurence Oliver and later remade with Kenneth Branagh were both excellent.

I heard the original Marie Antoinette movie from 1938 with Norma Schearer was very good but the remake that Sofia Coppola made was not as good.

On the whole, I'm too much of a realist to enjoy the 'fairytale' movies like the Princess Diaries and the Prince and Me. Real royal lives are far more interesting.

Last edited:
Favorite "Royal" Movie

Just wondering what everyones favorite movie about royalty is? Mine are the Elizabeth movies staring Cate Blanchett.

I love "The Queen" and "Elizabeth I", both starring Helen Mirren. She's an incredible actress !

I love "The Queen" and "Elizabeth I", both starring Helen Mirren. She's an incredible actress!

I agree good movies and Great actress.

Tudor

I think that Henry VIII and his daughter Elizabeth I are real myths. Everything about them is a good investment. I liked very much The Queen, too, and all the films about Sissi and the Three Musketeers. I am waiting now the films about Queen Victoria and the Boleyn sisters. I enjoyed very much I, Claudius, and everything about ancient roman dynasties, especially Julius Caesar, a bigger than life character.

Last edited:
Anne of the Thousand Days. Great set and costumes and spectacular acting, even if they take a few liberties with history. But then again, which movie doesn't, and it can't be worse than Showtime's The Tudors.

For me the movie Sissi with Romy shneider , love it :))

I love "The Queen" and "Elizabeth I", both starring Helen Mirren. She's an incredible actress !

I agree, Helen Mirren was tailor-cut for those roles. I saw the one of Cate Blanchet a couple of days ago- also worth watching.

And as a fan of Sissi, I must say Romi Schneider ("Oh Franz, oh Franz") dissapointed me. That saga was soo cheesy... and Romi was way too healthy to resemble Sissi, who is known to have been anorexic...

Her Majesty Mrs Brown (Dame Judi Dench), Elizabeth and Elizabeth - The Golden Age (Cate Blanchett).

THE QUEEN IS A DEFINATE!!!!! Looking forward to seeing "The other Boleyn girl"

I loved Elizabeth:The Golden Age and The Queen, and I too am looking forward to seeing The Other Boleyn Girl

I loved The Queen. It was such a great film, and it did a beautiful job in showing Elizabeth's humanity. It really changed my perception of her. I wonder if she has seen it, and what she thinks of it?

Cleopatra (1963) with Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton and Rex Harrison.

Her Majesty Mrs Brown (Dame Judi Dench)...

Now that was a fantastic movie.

Billy Connolly and Dame Judi work well together. I highly recommend this movie for all royal watchers and should be added to your movie collection.

I personally don't believe so.:flowers: Roman Holiday is a fantastic movie; however, PD2 is a movie that vaguely recall. But I do remember the movie The Prince and Me 2:D

I've always liked Young Bess. Jean Simmons showed a lot of spirit as Elizabeth 1 and it portrayed the way that she got out of being imprisoned or even executed as a result of being somewhat involved with Thomas Seymour very cleverly. Stewart Granger was a very handsome Seymour!

I also like Anne of the Thousand Days and Sissi. I prefer Glenda Jackson to Helen Mirren or Cate Blanchett as Elizabeth 1.

The Swan with Grace Kelly looks good but is unfortunately unavailable on DVD.

Regards,
attaining grace
bookaddiction

Back
Top Bottom