Royalty (Fictional and Real) In Fictional Movies

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really liked "The Queen" with Helen Mirren, and Elizabeth I with Cate Blanchett.

I also enjoyed "L'Allée du Roi", about Louis XIV and his second wife Madame de Maintenon...it's a TV show, but very nicely done, and filmed on location in Versailles and others castles.
"Allée du roi, L'" (1996) (mini)

But I didn't like Sofia Coppola's "Marie Antoinette". Although the location and costumes were great, it looked like a caricature!

My favorite royal movie? It has to be The Lion in Winter with Peter O'Toole and Katharine Hepburn playing Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine.

Anthony Hopkins played a superb Richard the Lionhearted and the rest of the cast was great too.

Timothy Dalton who later played James Bond played Philippe Auguste, Nigel Terry who later played King Arthur in Excalibur played John, and John Castle who later played the detective on the Miss Marple series played Geoffrey.

An altogether excellent movie.

Two of my favorites:

The King and I because of the music of Rodgers and Hammerstein

Anastasia because of the beautiful Ingrid Bergman

My sentimental favorite would be "Roman Holiday."

Does Camelot count, its one of my favorites and the Queen.

Hmm...no one has mentioned "Desiree". The movie isn't as good as the book but I love the story and the costume was fabulous.

"Sissi" is indeed very cheesy. "Young Bess" is better. "Henry V" or "Hamilet" aren't my favorites because I don't like Shakespearan movies in general.

Of course, among fictional royal movies, no one can outshine "Roman Holiday".

I remember enjoying Mary Queen of Scots with Vanessa Redgrave & Glenda Jackson, & Lady Jane (Lady Jane Grey) can't remember who starred in it but I think Trevor Nunn directed it.

Elizabeth I with Helen Mirren--fabulous, actually suspenseful even though I knew what was going to happen. and it sticks to history! amazing!!!

Marie Antoinette (Sofia Copolla's)--I really enjoyed the artistic take.

I liked Lady Jane (it stars Helena Bonham Carter and Cary Elwes from Princess Bride and Robin Hood: Men in Tights), but it's a little long and slow.

Did not particularly like: Elizabeth with Cate Blanchett. The Tudors (it's a tv show I know). Oi, where to begin with The Tudors? *shakes head* But I watched it anyway, because if it's about the Tudors I must watch it.

I loved Dangerous Beauty (1998)!:wub: It's got a small "royal" connection in that the main character, Veronica Franco, convinces King Henry of France (in her unique way :winkiss::blush:) to aid Venice in it's war against Turkey.

I am laughing as I am typing my "favorite" (and I use the term loosely) royal film. :lol: You guys must promise to converse with me in the future and the mods and admins have to promise not to ban me from TRF. :lol: Would I offend anyone if I said The Prince & Me 2? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Can't you see the humor in it?! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I am too funny!

Seriously, don't ban me.:flowers:

I am laughing as I am typing my "favorite" (and I use the term loosely) royal film. :lol: You guys must promise to converse with me in the future and the mods and admins have to promise not to ban me from TRF. :lol: Would I offend anyone if I said The Prince & Me 2? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Can't you see the humor in it?! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I am too funny!

Seriously, don't ban me.:flowers:
I saw The Prince & Me 2 at the video store and rented just to see how bad it was going to be (you could totally tell by the tacky wedding dress/tiara on the cover). Let's just say it blew me away beyond my expectations.

I don't know if I'v seen this one or not. I definately saw the first one since it was shot/took place near me.

When you saw it blew your epectations away, is that in a good way (ie it was better than you expected) or in a bad way?

Sissi forever and ever. :wub:
Even if the story is pure Kitsch and telling just 1% of the truth.

I don't know if I'v seen this one or not. I definately saw the first one since it was shot/took place near me.

When you saw it blew your epectations away, is that in a good way (ie it was better than you expected) or in a bad way?

I can't speak for EmpressRouge but the movie totally tanked! It was so bad that its actually funny. I am a proud owner of the DVD.:ROFLMAO:

This movie has been discussed before and you can find the thread here.

Last edited:
I can't speak for EmpressRose but the movie totally tanked! It was so bad that its actually funny. I am a proud owner of the DVD.:ROFLMAO:

This movie has been discussed before and you can find the thread here.

You're right on target, HRH Kerry. It was just silly. I couldn't stop laughing.

At this point I'm thinking The Little Mermaid with Princess Ariel!

I think that THE OTHER BOLEYN GIRL will become one of my favorite ones.

I was sadly very disappointed with "The Other Boleyn Girl" and I was absolutely panting to see it. It makes SHO's "The Tudors" look like high art.

Favorite royal movie: I am in agreement on "The Lion in Winter," O'Toole/Hepburn.

Anastasia (1956) and Nicholas and Alexandra (1971) stand out for me.

I love The Slipper and the Rose. Has one of the best soundtracks in the history of musicals!

Although not strictly a movie, since it was a mini-series, I found "Fall of Eagles" to be extraordinary as well.

I

"Princess" - ABC Family Film

Will any one watch the ABC Family Movie "Princess"???

It's About A guy who falls for a Princess. I know it sounds like deja vu. but it looks like something people could watch with their kids.

It stars Nora Zehetner who once guest starred as "Eden McCain" on Heroes.

It also has "Sunshine" from Remember the Titans-real name Kip Pardue. It looks ok, but I wouldn't expect any awards.

I just wacthed a teaser for the film. It actually looks interesting.

For historical royal-related movies, I love Elizabeth and Elizabeth: The Golden Age, despite the obvious historical inaccuracies.

For films portraying modern royalty, I love Roman Holiday and really enjoyed The Queen. And I have a slightly embarassing love for The Prince and Me (not the sequel). ;)

Back
Top Bottom