Queen Elizabeth II's Platinum Jubilee Celebrations: 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They can only wear orders they have. So, Edward and William don't have a 'neck decoration' to wear in addition to the more important (categories of the) orders they are already wearing. For example, the one Harry is wearing is a Spanish order he received during the Spanish state visit for being the host/tour guide at Westminster Abbey for the Spanish king and queen. Anne and Andrew received similar orders at that time for hosting other activities.

Edit: Mbruno is right, he is wearing the Knight Commander-decoration of the RVO instead; the Order of Isabella has a white/yellow band and a different cross.

I edited my answer since I had not at first noticed that Maria-Olivia was asking about the St Paul's service and not about their uniforms at the Queen's Birthday parade.

But I am still confused about all the princes wearing their stars (for example of the Garter or the RVO) and necklace insignia (when they have it) with morning suit. Normally one would only wear a miniature badge on the lapel with that kind of attire. Is it because it was a special occasion?

I think Prince Edward could have worn his GCVO badge at his neck. Prince Michael did, and the Duke of Kent wore his GCMG badge the same way. I think the only badges, normally worn on a sash, that can never be worn around the neck are for the Garter and Thistle.

Yes, that is right. So Prince William was the only one who didn't have necklace insignia to wear !

Last edited:
I see the Michaels of Kent are at the Jubilee Party on the Long Walk at Windsor Castle today. Are any other royals with them? The entire Firm is out and about today it seems.

The four Cambridges all travelled in the same helicopter. Again. They really should stop doing that. I'm surprised it's allowed.

Is it because it was a special occasion?

I guess, but it's only the second big family event I can think of where they did it. The other was the Duke of Edinburgh's funeral, but that was in lieu of uniforms due to the various family sensitivities. I wouldn't have expected uniforms at this; in 2012 they just wore plain morning suits to the thanksgiving service.

Edit: 2002 was uniforms, but the men who didn't wear uniforms wore morning suits with decorations as we saw yesterday.

Last edited:
Really lovely to see the wider family involvement across the UK in the absence of the queen from events.

They definitely should stop travelling together in one helicopter.

I thought the visit was a good one for George and Charlotte though.

The Cambridge family shouldn't travel together in the same helicopter. Normally in monarchies the heirs to the throne do not travel together in the same transport.

The Cambridge family shouldn't travel together in the same helicopter. Normally in monarchies the heirs to the throne do not travel together in the same transport.

To which monarchies are you referring? And do you only refer to air-transport or also traveling together in a car? And can siblings travel together? I'd say in this case, from a continuity-perspective: it would be more problematic if all Cambridge siblings would die in one accident than if William and George would die (sorry, it's quite gruesome to talk about but this is what we are dealing with in this kind of conversation) as William has 2 more heirs that still can be groomed for the role if needed.

As far as I am aware the Dutch king and his heir do travel together (when going from and to the same destination) and have done so for the last 18 years :flowers: (i.e., since her birth). I know that the Spanish don't but clearly the British do; but I don't know for sure about the others.

Last edited:
To which monarchies are you referring? And do you only refer to air-transport or also traveling together in a car?

As far as I am aware the Dutch king and his heir do travel together (when going from and to the same destination) and have done so for the last 18 years :flowers: (i.e., since her birth). I know that the Spanish don't but clearly the British do; but I don't know for sure about the others.

Yes, I was referring to the Spanish Royal Family. Felipe VI and Leonor do not normally travel together in the same transport. I'm not sure about the others.

I have a question about the Platinum Jubilee Medal, if it has already been answered then my apologies.

I noticed that the male members of the family were wearing it at St Paul’s, Jack Brooksbank and Edo Mapelli Mozzi included. However it appeared that Mike Tindall was not wearing one and neither was Viscount Severn. Surely they would have also received one and if not why?

The four Cambridges all travelled in the same helicopter. Again. They really should stop doing that. I'm surprised it's allowed.

HMQ has reportedly asked William to reconsider this.

The fact that he hasn't is foolish, to put it politely.:ermm:

HMQ has reportedly asked William to reconsider this.

The fact that he hasn't is foolish, to put it politely.:ermm:

The pilots should be ordered not to do it. And if William doesn't like it then tough. The helicopter belongs to the Royal Household so it's theirs to control.

HM should just tell him.

Convenience shouldn't trump common sense.

I am seriously thinking that there is not going to be any foreign royals at the Jubilee.

I wonder if they'll invite all the foreign royals who are members of the Garter over for Ascot and the Garter Day service?

I saw Mike wearing 3 medals - one being his MBE and one a diamond jubilee medal, I just assumed the third was a Platinum Jubilee one, wasn't it? I can't see him being left out.

I am so sad. I really looked forward to watch the Party at the Palace. But unfortunately I can't watch it because of geoblocking. 10 years ago I had such a great evening with lot of joyful music.

Yes, I was referring to the Spanish Royal Family. Felipe VI and Leonor do not normally travel together in the same transport. I'm not sure about the others.

But Felipe does continue to drive with both girls in the vehicle, which is likely significantly more risky.

Travelling by air is probably one of the safest situations members of royal families can be in. Every risk is known, every variable is controlled for, and every decision is made by highly trained professionals.

Coincidentally, I was watching a Spanish-language channel about the royals on YouTube yesterday and the channel's owner was saying that, although Felipe VI and Leonor are theoretically prohibited from traveling together in the same car, the King is known to have broken that rule many times.

Last edited:
I am so sad. I really looked forward to watch the Party at the Palace. But unfortunately I can't watch it because of geoblocking. 10 years ago I had such a great evening with lot of joyful music.

Same here, unfortunately.

Last edited by a moderator:
James Bond & now Paddington!

:lol:

splendid! Two of my all time heroes together in one film!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is fab and all the extended family there, no Harry and Meghan though!

Live! You can scroll back to watch it from the beginning. Never mind the poor upload...

They are really not broadcasting much from this Jubilee.

I was already happy that they didnt cut off the broadcast of Trooping 3 Seconds before they stepped out on the balcony as they did in recent years.

What an opening by Queen and Adam Lambert and great to see 2 of the Cambridge kids present.

The Countess of Wessex really enjoying herself.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom