Queen Elizabeth II's Platinum Jubilee Celebrations: 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's a couple of public ones near me that we're thinking of going to since it's a lovely evening.

Enjoy it! i would liked to be in London today, must really be a great event.
What impressed me a lot was the fly-over, especially the idea of the planes which put "70" on the sky.

There will be beacon lightings across the country at 9:45 tonight.

My village has a large beacon ready to light. We're on the Devon coast so with all the other beacons being lit along the south coast, it should keep any Spanish Armadas away! :D

Before that, there's a picnic, music and barbecue and after the Beacon is lit we're having a firework display so it's going to be a noisy night here.

On French TV before the Trooping of the Colour , we wore told that the Queens buys 100 Dresses a year, that means he had 7000 dresses , 3000 hats . All is organised by Angela Kelly .

My village has a large beacon ready to light. We're on the Devon coast so with all the other beacons being lit along the south coast, it should keep any Spanish Armadas away! :D

Before that, there's a picnic, music and barbecue and after the Beacon is lit we're having a firework display so it's going to be a noisy night here.

You make me quite envious. We have been two times to Devon for a holiday, first time in Bickerton near Hallsands, second time in a small village north of Sidmouth. It is such a beautiful area, we enjoyed it very much.
You sure will have much fun tonight!

Queen Elizabeth won't attend the Service of Thanksgiving tomorrow it was announced some minutes ago.

** Statement **

Seems she overdid it today. That is a shame.

Not entirely unexpected.

Fingers crossed she can make an appearance on Sunday.

So sad. But if her health is not allowing her to attend, it is the best for her. I wish her all the best for the rest of the jubilee.

They've said that she experienced "discomfort" today, presumably from being on her feet for too long. What a shame. The Service of Thanksgiving will mean so much to her.

Not entirely unexpected.

Agreed. It was unlikely she’d make everything.

Hopefully, Sunday will be better for her.

They've said that she experienced "discomfort" today, presumably from being on her feet for too long. What a shame. The Service of Thanksgiving will mean so much to her.

Well yes indeed. Her faith is well known of course.

I do feel that her absence will diminish interest in the service from the general public somewhat.

I really hoped that she would be able to make it for the service but at 96 years of age it is too much. I imagine she will be watching from her television at home

In tonight's Windsor pictures the queen looks really like the old lady she is. I guess that's why it was decided that she won't attend tomorrow's service so she can rest at home and doesn't have to go back to London again.

Not entirely unexpected.

It is rather unexpected though that both the Queen and the Archbishop of Canterbury will miss the service. I mean, it is an unlikely combination of events.

In tonight's Windsor pictures the queen looks really like the old lady she is. I guess that's why it was decided that she won't attend tomorrow's service so she can rest at home and doesn't have to go back to London again.

It is somewhat frustrating that, what should be the greatest celebration of her reign (70 years on the throne) had to be slimmed down somewhat (compared, I think, to previous Jubilees) due to the Queen's health and, even more so, that many events which the Queen should enjoy as the guest of honor might end up being actually a burden that wears her out. But anyone with relatives who are the Queen's age knows that is common and that, sometimes, they would rather just rest than have to attend social functions where they are celebrated.

Last edited:
I noticed (or maybe I just over analysed) that Lady Susan Hussey, who accompanied HM to the beacon lighting, watched every single step HM made until she was safely on the dais.

I noticed (or maybe I just over analysed) that Lady Susan Hussey, who accompanied HM to the beacon lighting, watched every single step HM made until she was safely on the dais.

I suspect that her primary concern was that HM made it to the dias without incident, and that there was a real risk she might have tripped, in which case Lady Susan would have dived in to support her. Imagine if HM had fallen over! :ohmy:

The bells of St Paul's cathedral have started to peel ahead of the service!

Wonderful, stirring music and no doubt memories for those older folks of the Coronation for the procession into St Paul’s.

Nice that they seem to stick to the ”working royals first” order of precedence. Great to see the Gloucesters, the Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra in the first row. Credit where credit is due.

Nice that they seem to stick to the ”working royals first” order of precedence. Great to see the Gloucesters, the Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra in the first row. Credit where credit is due.

Well the Michaels of Kent and their children were in the front row in the more senior row with Charles and Camilla and they are not working royals so I don't think that was how the seating plan was arranged. I also think it's a bit odd that Zara and Peter were in a row behind Freddie Windsor etc. Who knows how it's all worked out.

Interesting seating arrangement.

Wonderful, stirring music and no doubt memories for those older folks of the Coronation for the procession into St Paul’s.

The last coronation and the previous one (QE II and George VI) were in Westminster Abbey, right?

Interesting seating arrangement.

The last coronation and the previous one (QE II and George VI) were in Westminster Abbey, right?

Every coronation was in Westminster Abbey

The front row was short in length as a result some people in the 2nd row had nobody in front of them
But they were still in the 2nd row. .

Well they were at the front with no others in front of them. Whatever you want to call it they were in a better seat than more senior family.

Well they were at the front with no others in front of them. Whatever you want to call it they were in a better seat than more senior family.

But not in better seats than any working member of the family, which was my original point.

But not in better seats than any working member of the family, which was my original point.

Just as good a seat I would say and by sitting on the same side as Charles they looked more senior than the Gloucesters to anybody watching.

YouTube is brilliant, watching the royals all having a drink and mingling at the Guildhall now.

The arrival of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge at St Paul's Cathedral

Royal family depart St Paul's Cathedral

Royal family attend the Guildhall Luncheon

Members of the Royal Family leave the Guildhall after Jubilee lunch

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom