Princess Theodora of Greece and Matthew Kumar - 28 Sept. 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's farfetched. Felipe is a grown-a** adult and he chose to not attend, it's his decision. Even if the absence is Letizia's preference/suggestion, Felipe agreed it.

Funny to see Letizia always being blamed for Felipe's action especially when it related to his own family, like he's a person with zero points of view and judgement. Always the wife's fault huh?
I don't think the issue is gender-specific as you imply. It is not uncommon for people to distance themselves from parents and siblings when their spouses don't get along with their in-laws. In this case, it just happens that Felipe is the husband and Letizia is the wife, but if the genders were swapped, the argument and the issue would still be the same.

Just wondering if the tradition of something old, something new etc is followed? And that’s why the Land Rover was the wedding car? Its got a personalised British number plate which probably stands for King of Greece so it would have been her dad’s? Its a nice gesture if it is

I noticed how much Matthew loved the media attention he got, especially when he entered the church. He posed and posed ...
Matthew was exactly the opposite when leaving the Archbishop's Residence on Thursday with Theo and the queen. He came off as terse bordering on rude. He has never given me the impression of enjoying the spotlight especially during the observances around the death and funeral of King Constantine.

I like to think that on his wedding day he was simply relieved and happy and eager to accommodate the request for photos and waves.

As for the "black cloud" that Marlene Koenig describes.. the legal mess exists for him but Matthew Kumar has been in Theo's life for close to a decade. If he was as tricky as some people think, pressure would have been put on him by the GRF, their attorneys and their powerful allies to get lost. That hasn't happened. Far from it. Pavlos, Anne-Marie and everyone else seems completely relaxed and even warm in his presence. Queen Sophia is
not one for tricksters and she also seems to like him a lot.

Theo isn't exactly a naive ingenue. She is a woman just entering middle age who has lived in worldly Los Angeles Southern California, a fraudster's paradise if there ever was one. Believe me I know.🙄
I guess we just have to trust that she knows the man she has brought into life and family.

Matthew was exactly the opposite when leaving the Archbishop's Residence on Thursday with Theo and the queen. He came off as terse bordering on rude. He has never given me the impression of enjoying the spotlight especially during the observances around the death and funeral of King Constantine.

I like to think that on his wedding day he was simply relieved and happy and eager to accommodate the request for photos and waves.

As for the "black cloud" that Marlene Koenig describes.. the legal mess exists for him but Matthew Kumar has been in Theo's life for close to a decade. If he was as tricky as some people think, pressure would have been put on him by the GRF, their attorneys and their powerful allies to get lost. That hasn't happened. Far from it. Pavlos, Anne-Marie and everyone else seems completely relaxed and even warm in his presence. Queen Sophia is
not one for tricksters and she also seems to like him a lot.

Theo isn't exactly a naive ingenue. She is a woman just entering middle age who has lived in worldly Los Angeles Southern California, a fraudster's paradise if there ever was one. Believe me I know.🙄
I guess we just have to trust that she knows the man she has brought into life and family.
Besides, even if Matthew Kumar were a fraudster and a crook (I am not saying that he is or is not), it is not like he would have much to gain by marrying Theodora. She is from a deposed royal family that has no political power or privilege anywhere in the world (on the contrary, in their own home country, their civil rights were actually abridged or denied). And I don't think Theodora is personally wealthy or famous/ a celebrity in her own right (or, at least, it doesn't look like she is).

I noticed in the overhead shot posted above that Queen Ann Marie sat with Pavlos and Marie Chantal. Behind them Queen Sofía, Benedikte, Nikolais, Phillipos and then Constantine Alexios and Achilles Andreas.

Does anyone know why Princess Alexia was not seated with her siblings behind her mother? Surely she should have a place of honor alongside her brothers rather than the sons of Pavlos?
I wonder if the men were the crown bearers. (Is koumbaro the right word?)

I wonder if the men were the crown bearers. (Is koumbaro the right word?)
Coumbaro is the word used for the person(s] who are the testimony of the marriage, a kind of legal witness. Since the christian orthodox wedding in Greece is fully legal in the same level as the civil one, the coumbaros sign also the marriage documents.
Now the crown.. in orthodox wedding we have a kind of thin flower white crowns (stefana) bound in two, each one goes to the head of groom and bride and they make 3 times a turn (holy trinity). This is done by the coumbaro as well as they help with the rings.

Now the golden crowns you see in the Greek royal weddings is a Russian habit brought in Greece by queen Olga. Nobody else in Greece does it except Russian people and the RF The crowns are held above the couple's head by the bearers but the bearers are not necessary coumbaroi

Somewhere I read that he is half Indian heritage, the name "Kumar" is Indian. But that is not really significant since there are so many people in the USA of different heritage. And yes, finally been married is a great relief. So maybe that is the reason why they both are so happy.
Hopefully he gets his legal issues solved, because I think that he might be the sole supporter in that marriage.
We haven't heard anything about Theodora's acting career recently. She might be without any personal income, unless she gets financial support from her family?
I wonder what his father does for a living...
have you seen his mother?
Does he have siblings?

I also wonder, who changed the rings and the wedding tiaras??

His parents are in the photographs on the the Cathedral steps after the church ceremony. Mr. Kumar looked like he was trying to linger in the back but was pulled to the front by Pavlos, gracious as always.

The rings ands nuptial crowns were discussed up thread. Someone mentioned that they are called held by what is known as koumbaroi, and that Pavlos' four boys might have performed it.

What a stunning bride. Her gown was appropriate and beautiful. Her hair looked beautiful with the Khedieve tiara and her great-grandmother’s veil.
Theodora was beaming , and her groom looked overjoyed to have finally wed her . Could have done without the tyre at the top of the dress , but that's just me . I am happy that they have finally been able to celebrate their love for each other with family and friends , sad of course that the late King could not be there , but he obviously approved of the match , which must have meant a great deal to the couple .

I wonder if king Felipe has imposed himself such severe approach or it was a small "suggestion" made in the past by one of his prime ministers....
I am not sure that is the case. With a few exceptions King Juan Carlos also seldom went abroad for weddings, though he was always there for funerals. The only crownprincely weddding he attended f.e. Was the one of Charles and Diana. Queen Sofia went to the other ones with one or all of her children.

The moment of cutting the wedding cake:
For a Royal wedding their cake seems rather modest, almost simple.
I wonder if they will stay and honeymoon in the incomparable Greek islands?😋

ETA: Marengo I don't think JC or anyone from the SRF attended the Diana/Charles nuptials. I remember reading it had something to do with a diplomatic kerfuffle over Gibraltar.🙁

Last edited:
For a Royal wedding their cake seems rather modest, almost simple.
I wonder if they will stay and honeymoon in the incomparable Greek islands?😋

ETA: Marengo I don't think JC or anyone from the SRF attended the Diana/Charles nuptials. I remember reading it had something to do with a diplomatic kerfuffle over Gibraltar.🙁
I remember it was said the the Spamish Kings and Queen did not attend Charles and Diana wedding becausefof the Gibraltar position of UK. Matter should have been solved quickly as Charles and Diana with their babies went many times visit to Spain.

I am not sure that is the case. With a few exceptions King Juan Carlos also seldom went abroad for weddings, though he was always there for funerals. The only crownprincely weddding he attended f.e. Was the one of Charles and Diana. Queen Sofia went to the other ones with one or all of her children.
As already said JC and Sofia did not attend the Wedding of Charles and Diana. But JC attended the Weddings of Pavlos and Alexia in London and also the one of Fleur of Württemberg, who was his goddaughter.

Who was Matthew's best man?
In the Orthodox church there’s no official role for a best man. I wonder who their marriage godparents were.

One can have best man and bridesmaids but that’s nothing more than an imported custom.

I never expected to see King Felipe at the wedding and defiantly not Queen Letizia.
They didn't attend the wedding of Philippos of Greece and Nina Flohr either so no big deal.

Princess Theodora of Greece looked so radiant on Saturday.

Nice, but why the absence of reigning monarchs such as Frederik X of Denmark or Felipe VI of Spain, who are equally first cousins to the bride?
Could it be because of security issues that the two kings did not attend?

It was lovely to see Prince Gustav and Princess Carina of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg attending all of the wedding festivities; as Theodora is a godparent to little Prince Gustav Albrecht.

Last edited:
I never expected to see King Felipe at the wedding and defiantly not Queen Letizia.
They didn't attend the wedding of Philippos of Greece and Nina Flohr either so no big deal.

Princess Theodora of Greece looked so radiant on Saturday.
What about King Frederik X (also a first cousin of the bride)? Did you expect him to attend the wedding?

What about King Frederik X (also a first cousin of the bride)? Did you expect him to attend the wedding?
No I didn't and also none of the current reigning Monarchs/spouses either.

Princess Theodora of Greece is the youngest daughter of the late deposed king.

I wonder if king Felipe has imposed himself such severe approach or it was a small "suggestion" made in the past by one of his prime ministers....
I suspect it is self-imposed. You rarely see C&C at soirees with foreign royals either.

Back
Top Bottom