Princess Sofia of Sweden Jewels 2: 2018 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^^^ I would have to agree. It has become a tiara for all occasions and I have to admire the artistry of the jeweller that turned a somewhat ordinary little tiara into an adjustable piece of magic that is an attractive and enviable tiara in its own right but becomes magical when Sophia wears it.

Given that this is tiara is meant to have been converted from a necklace in the collection of Queen Silvia (and possibly of Thai origin), makes you wonder what else must lie in those vaults that has not been seen for a while or at all!

I totally agree with all the posts above!! This tiara has become an interesting piece. And really the only piece in the royal collection as a whole that can be added to. More stones may even be purchased or reworked for it as the years pass. I know it is her personal tiara, but it is so much more versatile than most. I know she must be pleased with it. And lets face it, on a more personal level, this was what she was wearing when she married her prince. And it was given to her by the King and Queen. So the sentimental value would be immeasurable. Lovely tiara. ?

I think Princess Sofia wore new earrings this evening.
https://files.svenskdam.se/uploads/...a-carl-philip-kungamiddag-tt-1960x1030-lt.jpg

They are not the same ones she has borrowed from Queen Silvia in the past.

These

Nobel Banquet 2016: Princess Sofia of Sweden | The Court Jeweller

Yes they look very similar. But tonight's look more like a bead at the bottom, and not a teardrop gem. And the diamonds are a bit different as well.

That is right, the earrings Sofia had on last night are not the ones she has previously worn. Perhaps there is a co-ordinating necklace as well that will emerge sometime.

Royalistan.se on Instagram has found out that the earrings are these from Strömdahls juveler
https://www.instagram.com/p/B4zRMWSpdN1/?igshid=1i8wstn2scy4p

Well done JR for finding this.

The earrings compliment the tiara well, and suit the Princess, IMO. I note that the green stones at the bottom of the earrings are agate, and not emeralds. That is one way jewellers manage the costs of jewellery, with emeralds increasingly becoming very expensive.

Last edited:
Princess Sofia has one of the prettiest tiaras. Love this look. and keep going thru the "stuff" for different brooches!!?

Princess Sofia has one of the prettiest tiaras. Love this look. and keep going thru the "stuff" for different brooches!!?

I agree with you, Sofia's tiara is a classic design, and very versatile to use. I hope she adds a few more coloured stones (rubies, turquoise?) in the years ahead.

For this year's Nobel awards ceremony Sofia has added turquoise stones to her tiara and wear them with rather big turquoise earrings and a turquoise gown. I'm not sure that I like those opaque stones with the tiara, but at least the turquoise drops are not very big, so that the tiara doesn't look too top-heavy.

I don't love her tiara but I like that she is adding an additional option to it. I think the turquoise look better than the emeralds. It is a shame the pieces of hair hanging down hide her earrings.

Very disappointed that the new stones are turquoises.

Very plastic like, like she stuck some plastic pieces at the top to decorate it. I always think her tiara look cheap and fake because of the design and turquoises just make it ever worst. I normally don't mind turquoise but I hope the turquoises are enclosed/mounted with metal or even surrounded by some small diamonds rather than simply upright drops. Turquoise drops are not easy to deal with. It is probably my least favourite ver. of this tiara.

I like how Sofia is creative with her tiara but I don't like the turquoise stones and would like to see the duchess wearing another tiara for a change.

Turquoise is not an easy stone. It has all the potential to be a showstopper, but it falls flat a lot of times too. I'm not sure where this fits in yet. The combination with the diamonds is very nice and I do also think they look better on it than her emerals, but I'm left wondering how much better an aquamarine, topaz or heck, even an opal would have been.

I love this tiara!! So versatile and functional. Looks awesome with the blue of her dress. These turquoise stones are about the same size as the pearls. Or look to be. Maybe a bit bigger. I just love that she has so many options with this tiara. The earrings look gorgeous and look to be a food size. I read on Twitter that they look to be good quality stones. Maybe a birthday present to Princess Sofia.

Im not a fan of the turquoise setting, but i like it she is playing with her tiara and she is adding new colours, i hope some citrine and rubys will be added at some time .. I dont like the earrings they look very cheap imo, maybe its the size..

I like it :flowers:
Turquoise are coming in fashion again at the moment, so really happy she is playing around

Very nice jewels. I like turquoises. Wonderful combination with the art déco style of the monture. On my ultra HQ OLED tv-screen these beautiful colour turquoises looked high quality, hoovering above a sparkling base. In no way cheap trash. Princess Sofia saved the day.

Last edited:
Agree. They remind me of the same color as Princess Margaret’s turquoise jewelry set. Of course Margaret’s had some diamonds thrown in. Lol. Such a pretty color. Now she has a blue stone to mix in with her neutral pearls and diamonds and then her green emeralds. Maybe she will do a pink/red stone next. Or a citrine. All would be lovely.

Nope nope nope. I liked it better with pearls, the emeralds or even nothing. I like turquoise, but not like that, drops on the tiara. It looks rather cheap.

Well, at least it's a versatile tiara. I hope she brings some rubys or sapphires next.

I fall more in Love with this tiara all the time. Turquoise is Beautiful, traditional and unexpected. Perfect.

Sofia's tiara has never looked good, and these new stones don't suit to it at all. There is now too much turquoise, she should have worn the tiara with diamonds only.
http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Nobel+Prize+Award+Ceremony+2019+H1pZ1bRE9jux.jpg
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Nobel+Prize+Award+Ceremony+2019+SVwpXg24k7px.jpg

I disagree completely. I think she has one of the most refreshing tiaras out there. Just proving it’s versatile qualities over and over again.

Turquoise is not an easy stone But i don’t think the small spikes ”overpowers” the Diamonds at all.

I think it is sensible for her to have so many different combinations with this tiara and I hope she will be adding more stones to her collection to vary even more in the future. Rubies or red garnets would be nice as the Swedish collection does not have many red stones. For a new tiara it is one of the better designs.

Turquoise is difficult to pull of. So far I only liked them in the Gloucester tiara and in the one of the late Pss Margaret of the UK. I do not particularly like it here but it is great that she now has a blue option. I suppose they are a lot cheaper than sapphires, aquamarines and even blue topaz.

Last edited:
I really like the addition of the turquoise gems. A nice surprise. Her whole ensemble was my favorite look of the night.

I think it is sensible for her to have so many different combinations with this tiara and I hope she will be adding more stones to her collection to vary even more in the future. For a new tiara it is one of the better designs.

Turquoise is difficult to pull of. So far I only liked them in the Gloucester tiara and in the one of the late Pss Margaret of the UK. I do not particularly like it here but it is great that she now has a blue option. I suppose they are a lot cheaper than sapphires, aquamarines and even blue topaz.
I also thought that the price was an issue here. Like cultured pearls, turquoise are not among the very expensive gemstones.

I don't know so much about the prices, but I think that blue topaz is also comparatively affordable. But the colour is quite similar to aquamarines, and there are already two Swedish aquamarine tiaras, so why add a third option?

I also thought that the price was an issue here. Like cultured pearls, turquoise are not among the very expensive gemstones.

I don't know so much about the prices, but I think that blue topaz is also comparatively affordable. But the colour is quite similar to aquamarines, and there are already two Swedish aquamarine tiaras, so why add a third option?

Totally Agree!!! Price could definitely be an issue here. Or it could have been a gift to her from someone else, which means she would accept it and wear them no matter what anyone thinks--including her. It is the polite thing to do. We don't really know where they came from. I don't think they overpower anything. They are the same shape as the pearls to me. But I just love that color blue. And that tiara is just special. Someone put a lot of thought into that tiara. And what could be done with it. She looked lovely tonight. :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom