Memories of Diana

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A memory of Diana visiting near where I used to live.
Diana was talking to the family of a terminally ill patient. Her Lady-in-Waiting made her aware of the time ,the tight schedule and that she would be late her response
"tough".

Not at all surprising. Diana was the type of person who enjoyed giving a part of herself to those who were in need of love. She did her engagements because she sincerely believed in helping others, not because they were a duty.

lady of hay, I love that story! :)

Another story of Diana with a hospital patient...shortly after her divorce she was visiting Great Ormond Street Children's hospital and a little girl who was terminally ill admired the Princess's nail polish.

Late that night after all the photogs were gone, Diana came alone with the same nail polish in a bottle, sat on the child's bed and painted the little girl's nails herself.

Every time I think about that story, I start tearing up to cry.

What a special person the world lost.

Wow. If this doesn't move one to tears, I don't know what will. No words really, except that the little girl must have been in heaven.

I heard that story before... and blubbed my eyes out! What a woman! The doctor said Diana made the dying children feel more comfortable faster than medicine, and I believe him!

Completely agree here. Love is the best medicine.

This creeps me out just a little, not to mention that some of the remarks directed at Prince Charles are a little too hostile. I don't want to start anything, but I'm a firm believer that these two individuals were/are good people, and in their own ways they shared themselves with the world.

I don't have a memory of Diana, because I've never met her, but I do remember hearing about her since early childhood. I wanted to see her when she came to Moscow, but it never materialized. However, even though I've never seen her in the flesh, I still remember her kindness that appeared to radiate off of her even through television screen. She definitely had something special about her. She was a devoted mother, and one can see a great deal of her (and Prince Charles) in William and Harry. They're exceptional, caring and compassionate men, and that couldn't have happened if the traits were not encouraged to develop by the parents.

Last edited:
that sounds like Diana:heart: i hope she did that because that is a really heart warming story

Sure she did that. I still have that article of the interview with the Hugh's widow Sarah Lindsay in my archive. But because I might cause the copyright piracy, I don't post it here. It is a very touching story.

The following is Sarah Lindsay's own words:

"She knew that Sunday evenings were a lonely time for me and she rang me every week for three years. She was just thoughtful and kind and knew the bad moments. She was always there when I wanted her."

I want to clarify that the interview was carried out in the week following her death. And it is never told before her death. So people should not think that Diana did this just to glorify herself.

Last edited:
I remember Diana mentioning in Morton's book about how she had Mrs. Lindsay stay at Highgrove with her for a weekend or so as well.

I just saw an interview of Jimmy Choo in April this year. Choo is a shoe designer who made shoes for Diana for 7 years. In the interview he mentioned about Diana. The interview was done in Chinese, This is a translation I made. Please bear my poor English. Hope you guys understand it and enjoy it.

Interviewer: After Diana became your client. How did you design shoes for her.

Choo: She gave me a great chance. Everytime I met her in the palace, she would showed me some clothes and told me which country she was going to visit, such as Janpan, or other countries. I will design the shoes according to her clothes.

Interviewer: How long it took you to design and make a pair of shoe?

Choo: We were very quick, because at that time I had alread have some assitants to help me. Roughly it took 2 weeks to make 12 pairs.

Interviewer: 12 pairs in 2 two weeks (suprised)

Choo: No problem, no problem. Because we had already known her size. Her size is 38. But every time I made shoes for her, she never had a problem with them. She would not say this part was not good engouh, or that part was not good enough. Never. Everytime I made shoes for her, she would always send me a note, saying "thank you very much, I feel very comfirtable in your shoes."

Choo: The last year, when I visited her the last year, it was her birthday. She wanted me to make a pair of shoe for her. She served me some cookies. I jokily asked her where she got these cookies from, Harrods or Mark and Spencer? She just smiled and didn't answer, because I mentioned the name "Harrods".

Choo: She didn't answer me, just smiled. At that time we were friends already. I didn't treat her like a princess, and she didn't treat me as a famous designer. We just talked, sitting on the floor, like good friends. Very nice girl, very nice princess. Everytime she would ask me "how is your mother, how is your father". Very nice.

Interviewer: I heard that she was very kind.

Choo: (A) very good, very kind, very kind princess. Everytime after I visited her in the palace, when I left for home, she would help me take the suitcase of the sample shoes, and walk me to my car.

Choo: I remember the first time she did that, I said, "No, No, you don't need to do that." She asked, "why not?" I still insisted not. The reason is because I thought my car was too old, too old. It was a car of almost 20-year old. I just said, 'no, no, you don't need to do that.' But she said, "just come with me," and then lead the way. On the way, everytime we passed by a car, she asked,'Is this one, it is a grant car.' I said, 'no.' When we got to my car, I said, 'it is this one.' She said, "Oh, my sister has the same kind of car. It is a good-looking car." She was a very good, very good person.

The following is Sarah Lindsay's own words...
Thank you for that detail. Again, not surprising, considering the person we're discussing here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed. I always feel awkward around grieving people, because I don't usually know what to say to comfort them or just don't want to say the wrong thing. I respect those who can. Diana was obviously one of those people. It was very kind of her to be there for Mrs. Lindsay.

Totally agree.

Another remarkable trait of Diana is, she can keep in touch with people for a really long time. She would not just touch and the leave. Talking about Mrs Lindsay's case. just months before her death, Diana just sent Mrs Lindsay a congratulation on her second baby's born. For 1988 to 1997, it lasted for 9 years.

Another little story in my archive is about a girl called Louise Woolcock. Diana met her and her family two times before she died in 1992. However, after that Diana didn't forget her and her family. She would send flowers to Louise' family on every anniversary of Louise's death. The last time was just 4 weeks before Diana's own death, the fifth anniversary of Louise's death. The irony thing is, I wonder if there is anyone will send flowers to Diana's family on her own anniversary:sad:.

Just found a long article remembering Diana. There are a lot of lovely stories of her.

Midwest Today: Princess Diana

The one I really like is the story about a old woman cried when Diana visited her hospital, because she hadn't had time to change her clothes to meet Diana, and she felt embarrassed by the outfit she was wearing. Then Diana showed her magic way to comfort people -- she took off a piece of her own jewelry and pinned it to the woman's dress, and said "There. That will make it look better."

She always behaved so naturally among people. :flowers:

Maybe she was like that because, even though she had a royal title, a part of her was like the common folk and she was showing people she could relate to their problems, too?

Just found a long article remembering Diana. There are a lot of lovely stories of her.
I thought this story from Mr. Seabrooke was very touching. Its the first I've heard of it. Overall a very interesting article.

Among those drawn to Kensington Palace to pay respects to Princess Diana after her death was Vincent Seabrook, 27, who was sleeping in a doorway in central London when the Princess spotted him and stopped to chat.
He says their chance meeting saved his life. "Without her help, I really believe I would be dead by now," he asserts.
Now working as a security guard and with his own home, he carried a handmade plaque to leave with the floral tributes. On it he wrote: "Diana, I will never forget you. I met you twice and, at the time, I was homeless. You came to me and asked how long I had been on the streets. You then went and got me something to eat and drink. It was very cold and wet on that night.
"The next time I saw you I remember you saying to me: 'I will get you somewhere to live.' And you did. You asked me about my life and I told you about the abuse I went through when I was a kid, and I could see you had tears in your eyes.
"You have a very caring heart, and I will never forget the help you gave me. Love from Vincent."
Seabrook said the Princess wrote two letters to him after their meetings in the street, expressing her continued interest in his case. This follow-up is another unpublicized aspect of Diana's human touch.

:previous:

I think it was a very spontaneous and genuine act of her to help the poor guy. But it is still a surprise to me to read that she had tears in her eyes when she heard about that man's abusive childhood. I think Diana must be a very emotional person.

I think it was a very spontaneous and genuine act of her to help the poor guy. But it is still a surprise to me to read that she had tears in her eyes when she heard about that man's abusive childhood. I think Diana must be a very emotional person.

she was a very selfless and i admire her for that she was very genuine i just love her i wish she was still around :cry:

This is why Diana was so loved by others. Her kindness towards others who suffered pain and hardship. You can generally tell when someone is geniune and when someone is fake. She could relate to others in a way that others in her family couldn't.

Guys, this thread is meant for members' memories of the late Diana, or interesting and insightful perspectives from other sources. It's not about what William allegedly told somebody regarding his father, or a general picture-posting thread.

We have many threads in the Diana, Princess of Wales subforum so please see if there is a more appropriate one and enjoy exploring the subforum while you do so. :)

thanks,
Warren
British Forums moderator

Not just emotional as I think that's a pretty generalized word to use. It is very easy to feel sympathetic towards another human being's plights but I think in Diana's case, she was empathetic to them.

As she had traumatic incidents in her own childhood, she could relate to Vincent on a different level (empathetic) perhaps than a person who had grown up in a loving, caring family environment would have (sympathetic).

People who are natural empaths often state that as well as being a blessing, it can also be a curse.

gfg02 said:
Meeting Diana
I found this album at flickr
Meeting Diana - a set on Flickr

Thrilled to see all these live photos! Congrats for being so assertive, I admire you for the way you did this, and the paparazzi were so kind to you! Wow, I was in London but did not have but a couple of days there. Did the usual tour around London, but knew I couldn't find out where Princess Di was. I want to go back and see where she was buried at Althorpe Estate. Have you been there? If so, what can you tell me about it

Thanks,
Perry, Greensboro, NC, USA
July 13, 2012

It did take me sometime to figure out what is the difference between sympatheic dn empathetic. So english is not my mother-language. :)

I think Diana's trauma in her childhood was overstated. Hers was far away from being abuse. I think her own sons' childhood are more miserable than hers. We must give some credits to her parents.

I read a lot stories of Diana. The overall impression I have on her is, she was very easy to be drawn to tears, for all kinds of reasons. So easy that in some cases I thought the writer was making a story. However, after reading so many of them, I began to believe that she was just this kind of person.

I think Diana's trauma in her childhood was overstated. Hers was far away from being abuse. I think her own sons' childhood are more miserable than hers. We must give some credits to her parents.
Are we discussing the same person? Diana's mother walked out and abandoned Diana and her young brother. When their father remarried, they had no particular affection for their stepmother, to put it mildly. You don't think that a child on the receiving end and experiencing at first hand this reversal of "maternal instinct" would have a greater chance of developing fear of abandonment issues and general relationship insecurity and carrying them into adult life?

Whatever the degree of tension in the Wales household, and it must have been most uncomfortable at times, I doubt that the childhood of William and Harry was "more miserable" than Diana's. There was no bitter custody battle fought out in court and despite the marriage failing both parents were there for the boys. They had no reason to fear that either parent would walk out on them and in any case such an action simply wasn't in Charles or Diana's makeup.

I don't think Diana's mother abandoned her. Yes she didn't live with Diana under the same roof. But she was still very involved in Diana's life. And Diana spent her holiday in her mother's farm too. When Diana went to live in london, her apartment was provided by her Mother. And Diana herself had never said her mother had abandoned her.

I don't think the procedure of the custody battle had been ever exposed to the children. At the age of six, I don't think Diana had any idea of this. I know in later days, Diana described her childhood in a very bitter way. But in my opinion, it was partly due to she was in a bitter mood at that time, which made her look through her childhood with a grey glass.

Why I think William and Harry's childhood were more miserable? Not only they experienced a very public and bitter divorce of their parent, which they had very good knowledge from the press, but aslo they lost their mother at a young age.

But in my opinion, it was partly due to she was in a bitter mood at that time, which made her look through her childhood with a grey glass.

Though naturally, that is you placing your own interpretation on the matter. That doesn't make it a factual assessment.

People can still posses a strong sense of reality when dealing with personal difficulty. I'd be very surprised if her 'bitter mood', as you say, hindered her ability to reflect upon her chilhood with clarity.

By all accounts, Diana's childhood was far from idyllic and not without a degree of emotional unhapiness/trauma.

Keep in mind that perceptions and attitudes towards what constitutes mental illness and emotional behaviours etc can vary bewteen cultures (Western and Eastern).

Last edited:
I've never denied that Diana had mental illness. Her depression was so obvious. Okay I will stop here. I found that the talk is going into another topic which should not be discussed here.

I'm not suggesting you have denied it. I merely noted the very real fact that often, mental illness and behavioural issues/subjection can be perceived differently amongst cultures.

You suggest that Diana is likely to have over dramatized her chilhood unhappiness because of her mood, at a point in time, where as I have no reason to doubt that upon refelction, she was quite dishearetened by what she could recall and as a consequence, it weighed heavily on her emotionally for some time as an adult.

As for my memory of Diana, it was that of a woman of elegant height and demeanour. Fair and quintessentially English to look at. Everything I thought a Princess to be.

I greatly admired her voice also. It was so pleasant and softly spoken. So articulate and mannered in it's execution.

Last edited:
She certainly gave that impression when she cooperated with Morton in "Her True Story." She talked about hearing her mother driving away and being too afraid of the dark to comfort her crying four-year-old brother, who wanted his Mummy. She remembered that time as being a lonely little girl.

And Diana herself had never said her mother had abandoned her.

One of my favorite memories of Diana but this has to do with both her life and legacy. About a year ago I was on this website Tumblr going through pictures and I did a search on Diana and viewed many pictures and posts, but there was one post that caught my eye. A teenage boy who was part of this subculture called EMO wrote a post saying around the lines of, "Thanks to her I'm not afraid to admit I was a cutter and that I like myself now," that is just one of the many posts I've seen of people from teenagers to those in their twenties and above who have wrote how much she inspired and intrigued them. Finding these posts and many pictures of her is a delight, and I'm sure its making her smile wherever she is.

Back
Top Bottom