Meghan Markle's Wedding Dress

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The second on isn't supposed to look like a wedding dress....it's a evening reception.

LaRae
Catherine's second dress definitely looked like a wedding dress. Most of the second dresses do, at least from what I've seen.

[...]
Fair point, and all the guests get to change outfits too so why not the bride.

But nothing beats the first dance in the real wedding dress for me. I believe the Crown Princess of Denmark was able to zip of much of the train, which was a practical solution as well. Anyway, she looks great in both dresses and should of course do whatever she wants.
True. I think many "regular" brides change the dress after the first dance because of that. But during the royal wedding it's just more practical when it's done that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes...but that's because Kate wanted it to mirror her wedding dress. I've seen brides do totally different styles.

LaRae

But nothing beats the first dance in the real wedding dress for me. I believe the Crown Princesses of Denmark and Sweden were able to zip of much of the train, which was a practical solution as well.

Gotta agree with this. I loved seeing Victoria and Daniel's first dance in her wedding dress. Still one of my favorite royal moments.

The second dress is nice, but not feeling her hair.

I had two gowns, it gave me the opportunity to have my traditional gown with the long train and covered shoulders, for my church ceremony. Then, for the evening reception, I changed into a second gown that was more conducive to movement and dancing and was lighter weight. I also had a cape. I went all out. Haha!

I really like both gowns. They're both very simple and elegant. The evening has a definite "va-va-voom" factor. Meghan has great shoulders.

Catherine's second dress definitely looked like a wedding dress. Most of the second dresses do, at least from what I've seen.

As did Meghan's. If she had worn that gown with some hair ornaments, and a veil, no one would have thought her out of place at a modern wedding. It would work for a evening wedding.

The Stella mc cartney dress is so much better after the disappointment of the actual wedding dress.

I like it better as well, but perhaps that's because it fits her better?

The wedding dress really didn't seem to fit well (though perhaps it's because she lost weight in the days before the ceremony).

I think Meghan's dress was beautiful. I loved her long veil and train too.

Last edited:
That is not a problem, if the wedding dress is well designed, like crown princess Victoria's dress with a long detachable train.
I like the idea of one dress during the whole wedding day, then all your memories from that day are connected to that very special dress.

I agree with you.

I think Meghan's dress was beautiful. I am quite disappointed that she didn't choose a British designer but it's a lovely dress nevertheless - I do agree that Stella McCartney would have been a good designer; she's British, fashionable and had other great dress choices.
She did choose a British designer - just one who leads a French fashion house.

I love her reception gown. Absolutely stunning and elegant. Wonderful gown.

I think Meghan's dress was beautiful. I am quite disappointed that she didn't choose a British designer but it's a lovely dress nevertheless - I do agree that Stella McCartney would have been a good designer; she's British, fashionable and had other great dress choices.

She did choose a British designer-what she didn't choose was a British design house. Comes down to the question, do you choose a British design house with a foreign designer (Erdem, Burberry), do you choose a British designer with a foreign design house (Givenchy) or you do both. She chose a British designer.

Meghan made a point of saying she chose a British designer who was showing the talent of British designers could expand into foreign design houses. Claire has worked with Chloe, Tom Ford, Ralph Lauren, Pringle and now Givenchy.

And her evening gown she supported both a british designer/design house. So she got it all covered.

Absolutely stunning ,totally knocked me out!

Oh yes, I so agree. I was so afraid she would be talked into one of those fluffy creations like Diana's gown for history's sake. Actually creation reminds me of the gown Princess Victoria of Sweden wore. Classy, sophisticated and unadorned with fluff or ruffles. She looked like Meghan and brilliant on her day.

She did choose a British designer - just one who leads a French fashion house.

Ah OK, thanks - thought I read something about the designer being British so got confused when I heard Givenchy. But that would explain it!

I am not sure what is wrong with her hair. She is clearly going for a soft, flowy look. It's suits her. The dress is lovely! Another winner!

As did Meghan's. If she had worn that gown with some hair ornaments, and a veil, no one would have thought her out of place at a modern wedding. It would work for a evening wedding.

Yes, you are correct if it was an after 6 PM wedding, definitely not the time theirs was. I would not have liked her second dress at early Royal Service. I think both gowns were appropriate for the specific event and she looked lovely each time. You could tell Harry was proud also.

Another from the Long Walk..

Attachments

• l2.jpg
    l2.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 168
Her wedding dress was stunning, elegant and chic. The veil should be longer than the train, and in a modern esthetic, the veil becomes the train. The dress does not compete with the beauty of the chapel but complements it. Perfect.

Last edited:
Meghan once said she took her bridal inspiration from Carolyn Bessette Kennedy and one could see that in her own gown. She was minimalist, elegant and drop dead gorgeous all once, same as the bridal Carolyn.

Her makeup was perfect both outside and under the TV lights. Her jewelry was minimal, letting the magnificent Art Deco tiara take center stage ( I also noticed a stunning diamond bracelet on her wrist during the ring exchange )

However nothing took my breath away quite like that spectacularly long ethereal veil that seemed to float behind her for miles when she first exited the car. I had a flashback to Lady Diana Spencer in 1981 unfolding her epic train out of the carriage that brought her to St. Paul's.

Meghan was simply a Perfect Royal Bride.

If I have a quibble it's a small one...her hair. I loved the view from the back, but not so much from the front. The center part style didn't seem to flatter and showcase her beautiful face and when a wisp fell out on the left side toward the end of the service I wanted to grab my hairbrush and swipe at the screen! :bang::lol:

The Duchess of Sussex's wedding gown/veil is the fourth longest in the BRF after Diana, Pss of Wales, Pss Alexandra and Sarah, Dss of York. I was actually surprised it was so long, since St. George's Chapel is not as large as the London royal cathedrals, which can make a long train/veil hard to manage.

I read her veil was 16 foot long.

LaRae

I don't understand where this relatively recent trend of changing dresses comes from. I believe the Duchess of Cambridge did it as well, as did Princess Madeleine of Sweden and Beatrice Borromeo. It is practical I suppose & easier to party in. But considering it is still the wedding day it can be nice to wear the actual wedding dress the entire wedding day. But to each its own.

Having that said, she looks great in the Stella McCartney dress.
Beatrice had about 5 dresses in total I think. ? They went all out.

It's not one or two stray curls, it's the overall look of the updo. It was messy. And then the wind just made everything worse.

I'm ten years younger than Meghan and I firmy believe that while a messy bun is great in some cases, your own wedding (especially on this scale) is not one of them. Also, I won't be "getting used to" anything, thank you very much.
I agree the hair was also subpar when you saw the sides. It looked like another of her messy buns.

Which is a very fashionable style for many women her age. :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am really underwhelmed by Stella McCartney as a designer...I can only think of a couple of her creations that I have liked.

But that white crepe halter evening gown that Meghan is wearing has me speechless...it is STUNNING!:whistling:

Which is a very fashionable style for many women her age. :flowers:

messy buns are great, but are rarely used for wedding services of a certain level in society, which this was.

even if we were to relax the expectations for this wedding, the reality is that this wasn't meant to be a messy bun, it was clear this was a formal structured bun gone wrong.

Are we taking about her wedding hair (I don't see anything wrong with her evening reception hair) because yes, some of it came undone in the front but that seems like nitpick imo. Certainly didn't take away from her look for me.

I was totally fine with both of Meghan's hairstyles today.

Moonmaiden I wonder if Meghan had input on the design or helped design it? I ask because normally I am not a fan either.

LaRae

messy buns are great, but are rarely used for wedding services of a certain level in society, which this was.

even if we were to relax the expectations for this wedding, the reality is that this wasn't meant to be a messy bun, it was clear this was a formal structured bun gone wrong.
I agree, you wear a messy buns to work a 10hr day, not to your wedding. I think Kate's hair was better and hers looked unprofessional as well.

Back
Top Bottom