Meghan Markle's Wedding Dress

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I heard she lost lots of weight. Understandable with what she's been through lately

I was like YES!!! When I saw her get out and then that GORGEOUS 16 foot long masterpiece of a veil was visible.

I am telling ya...she had people reading our group!!! :D

LaRae

I thought the dress fit really well! Where did you guys think it didn't fit? Where was it fitting poorly?
I do not understand those who say it didn't fit well. From what I saw it was beautiful and was not actually designed to fit where it touched. To me, it looked amazing and so elegant, better still, so Meghan.

I do not understand those who say it didn't fit well. From what I saw it was beautiful and was not actually designed to fit where it touched. To me, it looked amazing and so elegant, better still, so Meghan.

Agree. The only thing I'm not sure is the sleeves' length (just personally don't like, hope it is a bit shorter). But overall is gorgeous and impressively "Meghan"

Hmmm I felt like if they had been any tighter, she wouldn't have been able to 1) sit properly/comfortably or 2) raise her arms.

Kate’s was a long sleeve and it fit her live a glove and she could wave and do everything else and so are many other famous bridal gowns .

Her sleeves fit like the glove, we wont bother mentioning the poorly fitted bust, but they were also lace. Full silk sleeves, if they were tight fitted like a glove, would have less give. The dress was well fitted for the material, with just the right give for what was needed.

Kate’s was a long sleeve and it fit her live a glove and she could wave and do everything else and so are many other famous bridal gowns .

Kate's bodice was also an entirely different style than Meghan's. And, the way the sleeves were attached, plus the material, make a difference in the ease of movement. Lace, as a general rule, is going to have more give and stretch, than silk or satin.

The bride was drop dead gorgious!Simple,elegant and stylish...Keller by Givenchy....Class personified..The top.

Absolute and exquisite perfection. A study in quiet, understated elegance. Far and away the most beautiful royal wedding dress in my lifetime.

I agree, I saw no issues with fit. And it definitely suited Meghan.

I think some people are used to seeing the tighter fit of much current clothing that uses spandex in it or skin tight red carpet dresses. And this dress had a more traditional look.

I want to see the construction of the back of the dress and train better-it fell so beautifully.

Last edited:
Sorry don't understand the 'it didn't fit comments' ...the dress doesn't need to fit like a glove to fit.

Also don't understand the nitpicking on her hair, which looked gorgeous.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
The more I thought about it, the more I really liked the dress. It was regal in its simplicity. Devoid of embellishments of any kind, she almost looked floating up the aisle as a novitiate heading to take her final vows. Or... if I remember right, wearing simple white as Queen Elizabeth II did with her colobium sindonis when it came to taking her vows during her coronation.

What you saw was the bride. Nothing else but a total picture of the bride coming to meet her groom. The photo that texankitcat posted says it all. :D

I thought it had some very minor fit issues, but that in no way detracted from the beauty of the dress and how wonderfully it suited her.

It really was everything I hoped it would be, and could hardly have more perfectly embodied her style. The choice of fabric was inspired, and the details of train and neckline should be in a primer of "How to do the royal wedding gown right" for future royal brides. I loved Catherine's wedding gown, too, and it was very exciting to me to see how the choice of the right designer could result in two very different dresses that suited each royal bride so perfectly.

The more I thought about it, the more I really liked the dress. It was regal in its simplicity. Devoid of embellishments of any kind, she almost looked floating up the aisle as a novitiate heading to take her final vows. Or... if I remember right, wearing simple white as Queen Elizabeth II did with her colobium sindonis when it came to taking her vows during her coronation.

What you saw was the bride. Nothing else but a total picture of the bride coming to meet her groom. The photo that texankitcat posted says it all. :D

If I were them that photo would be one of the ones I'd enlarge and hang in my home.

LaRae

She really did look amazing with the sun shining down on her. Very magical!

Looking at the dress "the day after", I'm even more pleased with it! The whole outfit was beautiful, simple, classic and representing the bride's style. The tiara and veil were perfect, too. My only complaint is the hair but I won't go into that again!

She looked amazing. Simple and elegant. Dress was perfect and it didn't "wear" the bride. Meghan's pretty face (and that amazing tiara) stole the show. The veil was like a cherry on top. I loved how long and delicate it was.
Meghan's skin tone looked amazing in white and even though she's in her late 30 she looked fresh, light and etheral. I was pleasantly surprised that the dress material didn't wrinkled, it has happened so often among royal brides.

Is there any close-up phiti of the veil detailing?

Again I have to say...Meghan looked like herself and nobody else. I clearly saw a woman who had the self-confidence and maturity to remain herself, stay true to herself and her own style. That's the value of being older, mature and with life experience.

I hope the wedding dress goes on show in the summer. I wish a video and photos are released of the dress and veil showing all the flowers of the Commonwealth.

Oh that veil was scrumptious. The more I thought about it, the more I feel like the symbolism was that walking into that Chapel, she was bringing all the Commonwealth well wishers in tow behind her. She was stating that not only would she emerge as a Princess of the UK and The Duchess of Susses, but she would also belong to all the people of the Commonwealth as well.

Is she the first British royal bride to have symbolism of the entire Commonwealth reflected in her wedding attire?

Didn't the Queen have symbols from the Country or Commonwealth
on her veil?

LaRae

I wonder if it will go on display as part of the summer opening of BP in July. The exhibit has been announced as one celebrating the 70th birthday of Prince Charles, I wonder if they would add in the wedding gown?

I'm still so in love with the veil! It was beautiful and regal, that's what royal brides need to wear (I'm looking at you Catherine and your tiny/forgettable veil).

Though I still like Catherine's wedding dress the most, Meghan really looked amazing with this simple and ethereal wedding dress. I'm looking the second time on pictures, and it really suited her. Not over the top, neither too plain. It was perfect (except her bouquet, too tiny, it lacked momentum).

I think the issue with her hairstyle is not the bun itself (the bun was actually nice), I think it was the loose hair behind her ears that often went to her face. I still believe it was on purpose since she let them loose to her face for the evening reception. Even so, she could've worn a hair clip/pin to hold that hair so that it won't fall, then later she could take them off. It was a disappointment on that department, and it often distracted her look on the close-up videos/pictures. This could be avoided so easily.

When I was engaged, I was OBSESSED with a gown from Reem Acra. It was a bateau neckline and very VERY fitted. I tried it on in her shop (which doubled as her apartment). The sleeves just didn't give enough - it severely restricted movement in a way that a gown with a different neckline doesn't.

You can't make gowns with tip of the shoulder or bateau necklines that have super tight sleeves unless it's in a super stretch fabric.

And even then it tends to cause fit issues.

When I was engaged, I was OBSESSED with a gown from Reem Acra. It was a bateau neckline and very VERY fitted. I tried it on in her shop (which doubled as her apartment). The sleeves just didn't give enough - it severely restricted movement in a way that a gown with a different neckline doesn't.

You can't make gowns with tip of the shoulder or bateau necklines that have super tight sleeves unless it's in a super stretch fabric.

And even then it tends to cause fit issues.

That's very interesting. Is it the lack of a set in sleeve at the shoulder that creates the lack of "give"? If so, I can see why there would have to be more ease in the sleeve and upper bodice.

That's very interesting. Is it the lack of a set in sleeve at the shoulder that creates the lack of "give"? If so, I can see why there would have to be more ease in the sleeve and upper bodice.

I think so - in order to create that tip of the shoulder or off the shoulder look in a seamless and clean way, it's pieced together differently.

And even with "give", Meghan still wouldn't be able to raise her hand up at anything close to a 90 degree angle. It's just not possible.

Just a gorgeous dress though - but you guys all know I love dresses like the one she wore.

The only thing I would have done is add beading and some sparkle to that veil. But other than that? No changes. Wow.

ETA: I wonder if it's just a coincidence that Meghan's gown was SO similar to the gown worn by Princess Angela of Lichtenstein in 2000. Princess Angela designed it herself (she was a designer) and is the first black woman to marry into a European house of royalty

Kensington Palace shared these sketches of the dress.
https://instagram.com/p/Bi_-8q2gKoY/

I hope we’ll get to see pictures of the flowers on the veil. Maybe when the dress goes on display.

I think it would of been cool if she had done matching embroidery (from the veil) on the train...just the edges in the same shade so it didn't 'pop' out.

LaRae

Back
Top Bottom