Meghan Markle's Wedding Dress

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really would not describe that hairdo as a messy bun. She purposely left out some face-framing whisps, but that’s a rather classic choice, IMO.

I adore the length of that veil, especially in relation to the dress. It was supposed to be the star element and it was. It looked so light, beautiful and well-suited to a May wedding, and the symbolism of the embroidery was just lovely.

That neckline is what I was hoping to see on her. I appreciate as well that it wasn’t overly tight-fitting through the bodice and arms. I think bridal gowns often err on the too-small side in that area. To my eye, a little relaxation in the fit is much more elegant.

When i saw Meghan's wedding dress i was instantly in love with it and it reminded me of the dress Angela Brown wore when she married prince Maximillian of Liechtenstein. I would post a photo but I'm not that tech savvy.

That was not a messy bun.

I came mostly to post about the indoor/outdoor makeup. That's not easy, she did well. Or her artist did well, as we are hearing that she did employ one. She was still the one who decided on the overall look, quite natural but not as sheer a base as in other looks.

I thought the makeup was a bit mono for indoors, but once outdoors, it was perfect.

I am really underwhelmed by Stella McCartney as a designer...I can only think of a couple of her creations that I have liked.

But that white crepe halter evening gown that Meghan is wearing has me speechless...it is STUNNING!:whistling:

IMO this creation by Stella McCartney is my favorite of the two gowns that Meghan wore today. ?

Meghan once said she took her bridal inspiration from Carolyn Bessette Kennedy and one could see that in her own gown. She was minimalist, elegant and drop dead gorgeous all once, same as the bridal Carolyn.

Her makeup was perfect both outside and under the TV lights. Her jewelry was minimal, letting the magnificent Art Deco tiara take center stage ( I also noticed a stunning diamond bracelet on her wrist during the ring exchange )

However nothing took my breath away quite like that spectacularly long ethereal veil that seemed to float behind her for miles when she first exited the car. I had a flashback to Lady Diana Spencer in 1981 unfolding her epic train out of the carriage that brought her to St. Paul's.

Meghan was simply a Perfect Royal Bride.

If I have a quibble it's a small one...her hair. I loved the view from the back, but not so much from the front. The center part style didn't seem to flatter and showcase her beautiful face and when a wisp fell out on the left side toward the end of the service I wanted to grab my hairbrush and swipe at the screen! :bang::lol:

This is what I thought as well. She had already given us a,big clue what her wedding dress style preference was. In both dresses it was,very much in line with that look.

I for one really liked the first dress. Initially I thought perhaps it was too plain, but then when I saw the fullness of the veil, I was sold. And honestly looking at the dress I kept asking myself, what embellishments could be added to it and I couldn't think of any that wouldn't have taken away from the silhouette or interfered with the cut off the gown. It's clear she wasn't looking for a show stopping gown but an overall affect.

Which is a very fashionable style for many women her age. :flowers:

She's 36 so I don't even know what you mean. You can't possibly mean "young"! Regardless, messy is messy at any age!!

messy buns are great, but are rarely used for wedding services of a certain level in society, which this was.

even if we were to relax the expectations for this wedding, the reality is that this wasn't meant to be a messy bun, it was clear this was a formal structured bun gone wrong.

Yes, I agree. You can have a "relaxed" bun but still being done professionally. The wisps of hair that came out were not supposed to be there!

Some funny Twitter comments on the "flyaways"

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/beauty/hair/a20754332/meghan-markle-royal-wedding-stray-hair/

Last edited by a moderator:
Now she is a secure and confident woman. To invite all those elegant and famous friends and not feel the least bit upstaged is remarkable. I must admit I threw a fit because I thought gown was too plain and didn't like veil length,but after seeing photos at different angles I must say it was classy and clean. Meghan is actually an academic nerd but media paints her into a cable tv actress fashionista ,just like they describe Doria as just a yoga teacher,when she holds a masters in Sociology and is a counselor.

Meghan has fine hair, the tiny little flyaways couldn't really be helped. Not unless they used three bottles of hair spray and her hair became a molded helmet. Take it from someone who has such fine hair that perms woudnt even take hold. I had updos as a teen, and if the hairdresser didn't use so much hairspray that even when the bobbypins were taken out, my updo stayed in place, my updo would fall out within a hour or two. Meghan has the same kind of hair.

Her evening look was intentional. Her day look likely stems from not wanting to be an ignition concern around candles from hairspray needed to keep it up. As well as it wouldn't allow a change in hairstyle for later.

For me HRH The Duchess of Sussex’ overall wedding look & dress was simply timeless. A stunning, classic creation. I am not a dog with a bone and I refuse to nitpick so I’ll leave it there.

Last edited:
the bride looked very pretty today i lloved her make up and hair the veil most of all just GORGEOUS,the dress was fine simple but plain Imo

After watching the wedding several times and seeing a ton of pictures, these are my thoughts. Although the dress was appropriate and well tailored, I was left bored by it. The only redeeming factor was the neckline, which is perfect for her. The veil was gorgeous but a touch too long for my tastes. The tiara was lovely on Meghan but those flyaway hairs just drive me nuts.

[...] Meghan is actually an academic nerd but media paints her into a cable tv actress fashionista ,[...].

Now, with all due respect, let's not get carried away!! ?
She is (was) a cable tv actress and on her website (The Tig) and Instagram account she showed herself as someone who really enjoys fashion. She has said so herself. Now on top of this, she has tried to get involved in other fields (social justice, women empowerment, etc.) but to call her an academic nerd is completely off. Now, Charlotte Casiraghi could probably be defined as such and as someone who also enjoys fashion.

So - I have been posting a dress in that wedding dress ideas thread forever - the bateau neckline - I kept hoping we'd see a dress like that and lo and behold, we DID!!

I LOVED that dress - I literally dreamed the night before that her dress would be almost exactly like that - I just had her with a slightly fuller skirt and a little embellishment on the train.

I loved it because it's just SO Meghan. The dress allowed her to shine and the veil was perfect with it. The other thing I loved about this dress was the fabric. It was a really impressive material (silk?) but it DID NOT WRINKLE! I don't now what fabric that was that it just didn't wrinkle - but wow. She actually had a similar gown to Infanta Cristina of Spain - but unlike Cristina's, Meghan's dress draped well and was also cut as a modified A-line, which I LOVED.

I cannot get over the SHAPE on that dress. Just perfection. It takes a lot of expertise to design a gown like that in a simple shape that shows curves, but in a regal conservative way, and that also has DRAMA. And that dress was the definition of using architecture and shape to create drama.

Loved it.

The shape of the dress was just divine - This is going into my favorite royal gowns - I love hers, Stephanie's, Lady Charlotte's and Princess Grace's.

Only thing I would have changed was to add beading to the veil.

I loved it because it's just SO Meghan. The dress allowed her to shine and the veil was perfect with it. The other thing I loved about this dress was the fabric. It was a really impressive material (silk?) but it DID NOT WRINKLE! I don't now what fabric that was that it just didn't wrinkle - but wow. She actually had a similar gown to Infanta Cristina of Spain - but unlike Cristina's, Meghan's dress draped well and was also cut as a modified A-line, which I LOVED.

From the press release this morning--

The Fabric

Following extensive research by Ms. Waight Keller in fabric mills throughout Europe, an exclusive double bonded silk cady was developed. Perfect for the round sculptural look required, the silk cady has a soft matt lustre whilst the bonding process and pure white colour chosen by Ms. Markle and Ms. Waight Keller bring a fresh modernity to the dress.

From the press release this morning--

The Fabric

Following extensive research by Ms. Waight Keller in fabric mills throughout Europe, an exclusive double bonded silk cady was developed. Perfect for the round sculptural look required, the silk cady has a soft matt lustre whilst the bonding process and pure white colour chosen by Ms. Markle and Ms. Waight Keller bring a fresh modernity to the dress.

Thank you! Double bonded silk cady - what's cady I wonder?

A thick fabric -- which has a soft matt lustre.

KP released an official statement on the dresses etc.

LaRae

I know I saw it - I just didn't really understand what cady meant since I'd never heard of that kind of fabric before. But I've seen it before - it really doesn't wrinkle. I imagine the double bonded cady must be especially luxurious.

I know I saw it - I just didn't really understand what cady meant since I'd never heard of that kind of fabric before. But I've seen it before - it really doesn't wrinkle. I imagine the double bonded cady must be especially luxurious.

I guess they used it for it's ability to hold a shape/structure?

LaRae

I guess they used it for it's ability to hold a shape/structure?

LaRae

That and it really is a beautiful fabric with an incredible drape. Wow. I couldn't take my eyes off her gown - the drape of it (not the texture) reminded me of Lady Charlotte's gown that I loved so much.

That and it really is a beautiful fabric with an incredible drape. Wow. I couldn't take my eyes off her gown - the drape of it (not the texture) reminded me of Lady Charlotte's gown that I loved so much.

I was like YES!!! When I saw her get out and then that GORGEOUS 16 foot long masterpiece of a veil was visible.

I am telling ya...she had people reading our group!!! :D

LaRae

As someone who sews formal dresses as a hobby, I am thoroughly intrigued by the fabric. I love love love matte satins and silks, especially when they have a lustre to them. It is absolutely gorgeous and, I am sure, a dream to sew. I really am, still, drooling over it. And, I would imagine, based on the fact that it was specially woven for this occasion, insanely expensive. It just kind of boggles my mind and my fingers/hands are having a hard time even typing because they seem to have a mind of their own and want to run themselves over this fabric and work with it. Seriously, it puts this seamstress' heart in its happiest of happy places.

I read her dress was 135,000 (I assume pounds). I can't wait till we get an interview done with the designer, hopefully they do one with her like they did Sarah Burton afterwards.

LaRae

I like it better as well, but perhaps that's because it fits her better?

The wedding dress really didn't seem to fit well (though perhaps it's because she lost weight in the days before the ceremony).

Yes there were obvious fit issues with the main dress ! Shocked that the designer would not look into that fact . When doing simple gowns the one most important aspect is the fit of the dress and this dress failed in that very important area !

A well fitted gown and good updo would have made a world of difference ! Even her hair looked like she just put a bun on her own ! Come on if one doesn’t make an effort on their wedding day then I don’t know what to say !

In that aspect at least have to admire Sarah burton and Kate s collaboration . Kate’s wedding gown fit her like a glove ! And that fabric was divine and so was the lace veil . Pure class !

Highly doubt anybody would be running to Claire of Givenchy for their bridal gowns !

I thought the dress fit really well! Where did you guys think it didn't fit? Where was it fitting poorly?

I thought the dress fit really well! Where did you guys think it didn't fit? Where was it fitting poorly?

In the hollow, where the bodice attached to the sleeves, and then just above the waist. The sleeves also weren't fitted well.

Personally, had I been designing/making the dress, I'd have shortened the sleeves to end around her biceps. That would have improved the fit of the bodice in the hollow area overall.

I really want to like the dress and, in many respects, I do (the fabric makes me drool), but the sleeve length was a miss that impacted the overall look.

Hmmm I felt like if they had been any tighter, she wouldn't have been able to 1) sit properly/comfortably or 2) raise her arms.

Yes and no. With the bateau neckline and the way the sleeves were attached, the sleeves were clearly tighter around her shoulders down to around her biceps, then they loosened up, too much, IMO. You are correct, it would have been difficult to move her arms had the sleeves, at the length they were, to raise her arms had the sleeves been any tighter with the way the dress itself is constructed. But, then again, I wouldn't have made the sleeves so long. As I stated this morning and just now, I would have gone for sleeves the same length as CP Victoria's wedding gown. Maybe half-sleeves but no longer.

Yes there were obvious fit issues with the main dress ! Shocked that the designer would not look into that fact . When doing simple gowns the one most important aspect is the fit of the dress and this dress failed in that very important area !

A well fitted gown and good updo would have made a world of difference ! Even her hair looked like she just put a bun on her own ! Come on if one doesn’t make an effort on their wedding day then I don’t know what to say !

In that aspect at least have to admire Sarah burton and Kate s collaboration . Kate’s wedding gown fit her like a glove ! And that fabric was divine and so was the lace veil . Pure class !

Highly doubt anybody would be running to Claire of Givenchy for their bridal gowns !
I think people will run to the designer to do their gown... But they shouldn't.
I agree the dress was too loose and didn't fit, especially around the sleeves, chest area and hips. I honestly don't know what was worse the hair or the dress.

Back
Top Bottom