Meghan Markle: Wedding Dress Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually she could. Meghan is a much more visible woman than Mette-Marit was at the time. I think she would be selling herself short if she would opt for a Mette-Marit like gown.

That is only if you don't like the dress, which clearly you don't. Got that. ;) But like Sartorial Splendor says, and I think applies to Meghan (with edits). Meghan should "show up in a wedding dress that [is] absolutely, uniquely her, rather than trying to use a giant fantasy dress [to be what everyone expects, perhaps even demands]."

Meghan could do worse than to have the accolade be: "this dress still holds its place as the ultimate expression of [...] personal style. [...] there has never been a better personality-to-dress match in the history of royal weddings."

Plus, something else is at issue imo: with her dress we will clearly see exactly how much Meghan is buying-into the constraints of (certain) societal expectations from certain quarters. I doubt people follow the royal wedding dress the way it is done on this thread (understandably). Mainly people see anyone's wedding dress (royal included) as an expression of them, and not the audience. Just a hunch.

No matter how much praised her gown is and will be, I don't like it. Never have. It may have been reflective of her style, but it's not mine. It's too plain/simple and too severe. For a royal bride I expect something a little more present or 'popping'.

Understood. :flowers: Though to the 'popping' I think the woman's beauty is 'popping' enough, in the spirit of Coco Chanel.

Embroidery could be done on Meghan's dress. Phillipa Lepley does embroidery.

IF she has any embroidery etc..I would expect the ladies that do that Royal Needlework (Camilla visited them recently) to be the ones that do it.

LaRae

Plus, something else is at issue imo: with her dress we will clearly see exactly how much Meghan is buying-into the constraints of (certain) societal expectations from certain quarters. I doubt people follow the royal wedding dress the way it is done on this thread (understandably). Mainly people see anyone's wedding dress (royal included) as an expression of them, and not the audience. Just a hunch......

IMO she has fallen in line with the constraints and societal expectations from certain quarters for months and months now. This is another reason I expect her dress will not be shocking or too fashion forward or in any way avant garde.

I lean to certain styles as we all do, however even I admit she would look good in some styles that aren't my personal taste.

You should hear me when I watch the wedding shows (Yes to the Dress etc)!!! :D

LaRae

Honestly, I don't expect her to do anything shocking. I don't think that was ever Meghan's style to begin with. She might be an unconventional royal bride, but she was never the type to shock people. Even from her clothes during her acting days. She dressed for the occasion. It'll still be her style, but it'll be within the parameters of a church wedding.

Honestly, I don't expect her to do anything shocking. I don't think that was ever Meghan's style to begin with. She might be an unconventional royal bride, but she was never the type to shock people. Even from her clothes during her acting days. She dressed for the occasion. It'll still be her style, but it'll be within the parameters of a church wedding.

There's only been a couple outfits I've seen (while at galas or working events etc) that I didn't care for. For the most part I like how she dresses.

I expect that I will like her wedding dress too.

LaRae

There's only been a couple outfits I've seen (while at galas or working events etc) that I didn't care for. For the most part I like how she dresses.

I expect that I will like her wedding dress too.

LaRae

Well yes, personal taste aside. I'm just saying that she's always dressed appropriately for the occasion and isn't there to shock people or anything.

Oh yes I agree. She's never been one to try and shock or been inappropriately dressed that I've seen.

LaRae

Well the wedding cannot come quickly enough for me. Having been immersed in wedding gowns of all shapes, sizes, styles, etc. I have to admit I have fallen under the spell of Philippa Lapley.

Until I saw her collection with its cool, stylish elegance, romantic, feminine lace or even ruffles, my mind was crammed full of tulle, lace, silk, satin, built-in corsets and colour, all in a wild mishmash. I realished I had already fallen foul of wedding fatigue and really I don't even know what Meghan's personal style really is. And then I saw the Philippa Lapley site and realised that with a really good designer it doesn't matter what her personal style is.

This is for no other reason than be it lace, chiffon, silk, satin, etc. every wedding dress is an amalgam of both the couturier and the bride, totally unique and finished with style and elegance and hopefully the quintessential Meghan. No exploding meringues, no veils that would do justice at an orthodox wedding and best of all . . . no breast cones. Not for the wedding gown nor after match function. Halleluia, no breast cones this time!!!

IMO she has fallen in line with the constraints and societal expectations from certain quarters for months and months now. This is another reason I expect her dress will not be shocking or too fashion forward or in any way avant garde.

I lean to certain styles as we all do, however even I admit she would look good in some styles that aren't my personal taste.

You should hear me when I watch the wedding shows (Yes to the Dress etc)!!! :D

LaRae

I wouldn't say Meghan has fallen in line. Her style still seems very much her own to me, though I never saw her as all that daring or shocking with her choices, so I never expected her to buck any royal trends with her wedding gown. Honestly, the one concern I've had is that she will choose a gown that's a little too "classic" or simple exactly because that's how she leans with her own style, at least compared to other actresses. And normally, I do like her fashion sense but for a royal wedding, I would like her to go a little grander than she likely would if she weren't marrying a prince. I'm sure she's taking that into consideration and hopefully, it's reflected in the gown she ultimately chooses.

I can't say I'm crazy about Phillipa Lepley's style. I like a couple of the dresses but haven't seen anything that wows me.

You could always renew your vows like we are doing next year for our 20th anniversary! (Except my dress is more of an evening/bridesmaid dress in gold, with one shoulder. It's not the done thing to wear a 'wedding dress' to renew).

Happy anniversary! I hope you have a wonderful vow renewal. I am of the mind that you (and I) could totally wear a wedding dress again if we wanted to. Why not?! Rules, schmules. It's your (and my) celebration and we can do what we want :flowers:

We're actually planning a European vacation for our anniversary and we had coincidentally already planned to be in England in May. I am soooo hoping we'll be there for the date they announce for the wedding so we can go and wave and cheer and take photos. Exciting!

I think we can go by Meghan's choice of dress for the engagement. :flowers: She wore that dress, it did not wear her. When I think of their interview the image that comes to mind is Meghan's articulate involvement in the interview (her face, her expressiveness), her's and Harry's hands entwined, and the physical closeness of the two of them. I don't think about her dress, her hair, or her makeup. I think something similar may characterize her wedding choices. JMO of course, and I could be wrong, but I don't think she is going to sacrifice that 'style' for any big statement. We'll see who's right and who's wrong on the predictions! (Kinda fun!) ;)

I think we can go by Meghan's choice of dress for the engagement. :flowers: She wore that dress, it did not wear her. When I think of their interview the image that comes to mind is Meghan's articulate involvement in the interview (her face, her expressiveness), her's and Harry's hands entwined, and the physical closeness of the two of them. I don't think about her dress, her hair, or her makeup. I think something similar may characterize her wedding choices. JMO of course, and I could be wrong, but I don't think she is going to sacrifice that 'style' for any big statement. We'll see who's right and who's wrong on the predictions! (Kinda fun!) ;)

Slightly off topic, but I watched that interview again, and those two just got closer as the interview went on. Didn't think it was possible, but it definitely happened. :lol:

Anyways, but yes, I agree. She had style, but she was more than the style. It meshed very well with the entire situation.

Phillipa Lepley | Dresses | Couture Wedding Dresses

I wish she had numbered them or something so you can specific which one you want to talk about.

There are a few there I really like.

LaRae

The issue with hers is that except the lace ones, which I still think might be too much for Meghan (she said she likes simplicity and letting quality speak for itself), none of them have sleeves, or covered shoulders really. Its hard to say what they would look like if they were altered to accommodate the needs.

IF she has any embroidery etc..I would expect the ladies that do that Royal Needlework (Camilla visited them recently) to be the ones that do it

Camilla took over the patronage recently from the queen. The founding president was actually Victoria's daughter Helena, and Victoria served as its patron. Its definitely not out of the question, that a designer could make and craft the dress, and have the embroidery added by the school.

The issue with hers is that except the lace ones, which I still think might be too much for Meghan (she said she likes simplicity and letting quality speak for itself), none of them have sleeves, or covered shoulders really. Its hard to say what they would look like if they were altered to accommodate the needs.

Camilla took over the patronage recently from the queen. The founding president was actually Victoria's daughter Helena, and Victoria served as its patron. Its definitely not out of the question, that a designer could make and craft the dress, and have the embroidery added by the school.

I figure whatever designer she works with will be able to come up with a design that incorporates the features she wants and I think she realizes the dress will need to be able to hold up to the venue and the occasion. Not that lace or needlework is needed...but I'd be surprised if she didn't have at least a little on a veil (as a nod to the Royal Needlepoint ladies).

LaRae

:previous: If she HAS embroidery or lace, I agree that using the royal needlework ladies makes sense. But I don't see them requiring a 'nod' just for the sake of it. They are one of countless groups that are supported by the royal family with a charter. Unless Meghan plans on taking over Camilla's patronage, no necessity to include them.

Meghan has said in at least one interview she doesn't like ornate designs. She prefers simple style, that allows the design to shine through. I am sure she can work with any number of designers who can show that architecture and simplicity can be grand.

Ok so I'm pretty sure this sketch has been posted before...

https://media.brides.com/photos/5a2..._limit/Caroline-Castigliano-Meghan-Markle.jpg

But I'm bringing it back because it's one of the few sketches I've liked of a potential look for Meghan and I just browsed through some of the designer's gowns and I have to say, I really like her style, more so than any others I've seen. It's a simple, classic style but with a modern, romantic twist that I think suits Meghan's style and the venue/occasion. Of course the chances of her designing Meghan's gown is slim...very slim. But she definitely has a style that I'd be happy to see on Meghan. (The second dress in the link below is my favorite.)

Celebrating Romance Wedding Dress Collection | Caroline Castigliano

Last edited:
She can probably pull off almost any style. However I think she will go for sleek/elegant overall.

Since it appears it will be a Church wedding (based on the Archbishop of Cant. comments) it will also have to fit within those parameters too.

LaRae

https://www.bridalguide.com/dresses...ss-trends/wedding-dresses-with-sleeves#156844

https://www.bridalguide.com/dresses...ss-trends/wedding-dresses-with-sleeves#156880

These 2 are absolutely stunning, especially the Karelina Sposa one.

Yes I agree both of them are lovely...I favor the banded/wrapped waist and sleek skirt on the Justin Alexander one with the top from the Karelina Sposa one!

LaRae

The only thing with a cape is it's a spring/summer-ish time so it'd have to be a light material type....and she doesn't want to be costume-y.

LaRae

This is a crazy thought, but since I think Meghan is fairly small, is there any chance in the universe that the Queen would let her wear HER wedding gown? Or is it way too iconic for that?

She could pull off a caped gown (one of her friends, Serena Williams, recently wore one that would be suitable for spring/summer). But I don't really see that being her style. Though, I do hesitate to say she wouldn't wear a certain style because given the occasion, she really could surprise with a gown that some of us didn't necessarily envision for her.

This is a crazy thought, but since I think Meghan is fairly small, is there any chance in the universe that the Queen would let her wear HER wedding gown? Or is it way too iconic for that?

Yeah that would just not happen.

LaRae

She could pull off a caped gown (one of her friends, Serena Williams, recently wore one that would be suitable for spring/summer). But I don't really see that being her style. Though, I do hesitate to say she wouldn't wear a certain style because given the occasion, she really could surprise with a gown that some of us didn't necessarily envision for her.

We are all figuring (mostly) she will go sleek and simpler in style ...but I laughed the other day and said you watch she'll come out in a full lace dress! If ever a woman is going to wear lace, it is usually her wedding day!

LaRae

Yeah that would just not happen.

LaRae

Yeah, the Queen isn't like the Queen of Sweden who shares things with her daughters.

Plus, Meghan is 5'6/5'7, much taller than the queen. And while Meghan is hippy, she isn't as curvy as the Queen was as a young woman. The fit would never work.

Here are different types of lace that could be a wedding dress fabric.

I love that corded lace!

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom