Meghan Markle: Wedding Dress Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well there you go, grandeur is a proper word :flowers:

Grandeur speaks to the design, the detail, the impact it makes. 'Big' describes size. A sheath dress may be grand, but its never going to be big, just like you bling out a smart car it may be fancy, but its still going to be small.

The difference for some people is what 'grandeur means'. Many of the gowns posted like the pronovias are grand. They aren't over the top, covered in lace or bling, but they make a statement. They make a statement in design, in architecture, in details like the statement back to them. Add to that a tiara and an amazing veil, and it would be grand.

We can look at royal dresses like Charlene, Victoria, and older ones like Silvia, and know a royal wedding gown can be quite simple, rely on architectural detail, and still make a great statement.

I both agree and disagree with you, but mostly agree.

I think the Pronovias gowns are regal - I'm not sold on whether I think they are grand.

It could be the silhouette - Charlene of Monaco is the only royal bride I've seen pull off a sheath gown - but she's so tall and statuesque that she can do that - Meghan is far more petite - I am not certain a sheath style or even a modified mermaid would fit my definition of grand.

I still love that Pronovias gown with a cape. For me, that's the foundation of a gorgeous royal gown - but it's not quite there for me yet as-is, because I would want to see the back. I think the train is too short.

I also want to point out that, with what happened between the tabloids and Pippa's bottom at the Cambridge wedding, Meghan might will opt out away from mermaid and sheath.

The first two have real possibilities! Perhaps a different shade..lighter.

LaRae

I'm not sure which dress you were highlighting :huh: there were so many on the page. But I loved this one, on the upper left of the linked page (not sure it would be Meghan's style choice). :flowers: The lace overlay is gorgeous!

I'm not exactly sure which dress @FashionMaven is referencing on that page either. Nor am I sure of the one you're referencing @Lady Nimue. :lol: ?

I like the one (scroll nearly mid-way down) that is to the far right and it's a nice size picture of a model with blond hair pulled back in a chignon. To the left of the picture in the middle of the page is the heading, 20 1920 Inspired Wedding Dresses, positioned atop a 1920s style wedding dress picture. But it's the dress to the right that I like: It has lace sleeves reaching the elbow, with the lace extending over a fitted bodice with a scoop neckline and very lovely beading at the waist of the dress, and what appears to be a full skirt with slight tucks that flow out from the waist. Place your pointer over the picture and it's identified as: Alfred Sung Bridal Gown, Style #6938 Romantic Wedding Dresses.

Move down slightly and there's another pretty dress on the right, but we only see the model from the waist up; the model has brunette hair pulled back in a loose knot, and she's holding white flowers with green stems; the dress has see-through long sleeves with gorgeous appliqued lace embroidery detail. There's a fitted neckline that looks like shirred material or either some type of beading; the bodice is also see-through in the middle of the chest with scrolled lace embroidery detail. If you place your pointer over the picture, it reads: Floral Design, Kelly Kaufman... Dreamy Lilac Blush Wedding Inspiration.

I think Meghan will look nice with her hair in an updo or pulled back in a chignon, and I hope that's how she will style her hair.

RE: @wyevale's links, I don't care for the the silhouette or color of dress in the first link. I also don't like the top row of dresses in the second link. The third and fourth links show some interesting designs that might look good on Meghan. It will be fascinating to see what Meghan chooses. Or more-so which designer she will choose. I'm sure Meghan has ideas of what she would like in a wedding dresss.

Last edited:
When you click on it (MaiaMia) it should be a dress that pops up and the top of the page...with the gorgeous overlay of lace.

LaRae

Meghan doesn't have much time before the big day! If she is going to have a dress designed or buy one? Has any one heard anything?

Meghan doesn't have much time before the big day! If she is going to have a dress designed or buy one? Has any one heard anything?

Such detail would not be released. They hide the information about designers like a state secret. But there is no way she is going to have an off the rack dress. William and Kate announced 5 1/2 months before the wedding and she still had a custom gown. Meghan will have around the same.

No details have been released on that. It likely won't until the day of the wedding. Of course, there will be rumors until then. There hasn't been much specific speculations just because we don't even know the date yet. Typically, royal wedding dresses are custom made that will be paid for. The bride will work with the designer to design a one of a kind dress. It's actually not that short of time as the designer will likely have dedicated staff working on this once he/she is chosen.

We won't hear about the designer till the day of the wedding.

LaRae

There is more than enough time for a custom designed and handmade dress to be completed. Chances are, since they have known where this was headed for quite awhile, that Meghan has been scoping out British designers and had a fairly good idea of what she wanted in this wedding gown long before Harry even popped the question. That is one of the beauties of the internet, as we are all seeing in this thread, a lot of this research can be done rather anonymously.

That is one of the beauties of the internet, as we are all seeing in this thread, a lot of this research can be done rather anonymously.

And Meghan's got all of us helping too! :lol:

There is more than enough time for a custom designed and handmade dress to be completed. Chances are, since they have known where this was headed for quite awhile, that Meghan has been scoping out British designers and had a fairly good idea of what she wanted in this wedding gown long before Harry even popped the question. That is one of the beauties of the internet, as we are all seeing in this thread, a lot of this research can be done rather anonymously.

I think she already has things pretty much figure out...she just has to get with the designer and work out the details.

LaRae

I think she already has things pretty much figure out...she just has to get with the designer and work out the details.

LaRae

Yes, she just needs to choose a designer who matches her image. I know, I know the designers will work with her but it still works better when their usual design aesthetic is somewhat in line with what you want. But there is no designer in the UK who wouldn't be jumping at the chance to design it.

I figure she has one already picked out. It's just a matter of getting with them (which will happen soon and hopefully she's able to do it without being spotted).

LaRae

Ms Markle has worn designs by Erdem: a Canadian designer would be an obvious choice:flowers::cool:

Obvious, I don't know we can go that far. More likely then an American designer yes, as at least a commonwealth. But more likely she will choose a UK designer for her new home. Autumn, the last foreigner to marry close to the throne, chose a British designer.

After seeing the interview and things this week...I am pretty convinced she'll go with a British designer for the dress. If she does a second dress (reception dress) that's when she might go American.

LaRae

After seeing the interview and things this week...I am pretty convinced she'll go with a British designer for the dress. If she does a second dress (reception dress) that's when she might go American.

LaRae

We aren't likely to ever know. We will only see the ceremony and the carriage ride. We aren't likely to see any change in clothes.

We saw Kate's reception dress, and Charlene's.

Charlene's because their reception was filmed. Not the case with the British weddings. We caught a glimpse of Kate's on the way into her reception as she left Clarence house. I guess its possible the press may be allowed in Windsor to film arrival at the reception, but we will have to see. Not likely IMO.

Last edited:
Yes we got to see a full length pic of Kate in her beautiful 'reception' dress.

LaRae

:previous:

IT was Clarence House where we saw the evening dress - no cameras at all in Buckingham Palace in the evening. And I agree, don't think any in Windsor

Re designer - keeping it a secret is new in BRF terms. We knew the designers for HMQ, Princess Margaret, Anne, Diana and Sarah, and Sophie.

Apparently reporters went through the Emmanuels rubbish trying to get information.

Catherine and McQueen managed to keep it quiet.

Yes we got to see a full length pic of Kate in her beautiful 'reception' dress.

LaRae
Yes, there was a photo of Will & Kate leaving Clarence House for the reception. This time we might not get a photo since its likely they will use Windsor Castle to change between the wedding and evening reception.

:previous:

IT was Clarence House where we saw the evening dress - no cameras at all in Buckingham Palace in the evening. And I agree, don't think any in Windsor

Re designer - keeping it a secret is new in BRF terms. We knew the designers for HMQ, Princess Margaret, Anne, Diana and Sarah, and Sophie.

Apparently reporters went through the Emmanuels rubbish trying to get information.

Catherine and McQueen managed to keep it quiet.

They took some pretty strong measures. I read an interview with Sarah Burton where she talked about everything they did to protect the secret!

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom