Marius Borg Høiby News & Current Events Part 1: December 2023 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry to say this, but I think the only way the monarchy won't be harmed any further is if Prince Haakon and Princess Mette-Marit get a divorc

Okay, first, we still have no idea what either of them knew or did, for the most part.

Secondly, parents don’t get divorced over their children.

Thirdly, it’s a little late for that. Even supposing they split up tomorrow, Haakon would still bear responsibility for Marius and everything that occurred up to today.
Personally, I wonder (and worry about) how 20-year-old Princess Ingrid Alexandra is reacting to the latest events.

In the past, she expressed gratitude to and admiration for her half-brother Marius for "always protecting her", "being loyal to people", or plainly "being so cool". It must come as a shock to her that Marius is being now exposed as a serious drug addict, who beats up and strangles women, trashes their apartments, and harasses them on the phone, and who, on top of that, hangs out with dangerous criminals/gangsters and convicted felons, and may be involved in criminal activities himself (which is not clear at this point).

Marius said to the detectives who came to see him at Skaugum that his circle of friends has been the same for the past 10 years and that "his parents knew about it", but there is nothing that could be done about it, because "it is what it is". He was quick to distance himself, however, from any inference of participation in criminal/gangster activity by claiming that his "friends" never "involved him in any nonsense".

Although I am at this point fully convinced that MM and Haakon were fully aware of Marius' lifestyle, his drug problems, and whom he hung out with, I am not convinced that Ingrid, or the younger Magnus, had such awareness and that is why this sudden and rapid "deconstruction" of Marius as a druggie and a gangster/delinquent by the Norwegian media might be taking a huge psychological toll on them, especially on Ingrid, considering that she appeared to hold Marius on a pedestal before.

Last edited:
Ingrid and Magnus are 19 and 18… I’m sure they know a lot about Marius issues… Maybe not as much as Haakon and Mette-Marit but they more than likely have friends themselves who uses drugs and behaves like Marius does (it’s getting more and more common in their agegroup) so i’m totally sure they are aware that their brother is on the wrong side of the law…

I’m pretty sure it’s a big wake up call for Ingrid though to not overly praise family members in official speech’s again… I’m sure she will think twice before she talks about her brothers again in a public speech… At least over the coming years

Ingrid and Magnus are 19 and 18… I’m sure they know a lot about Marius issues… Maybe not as much as Haakon and Mette-Marit but they more than likely have friends themselves who uses drugs and behaves like Marius does (it’s getting more and more common in their agegroup) so i’m totally sure they are aware that their brother is on the wrong side of the law…

I’m pretty sure it’s a big wake up call for Ingrid though to not overly praise family members in official speech’s again… I’m sure she will think twice before she talks about her brothers again in a public speech… At least over the coming years
Sure, having friends who use recreational drugs, or experimenting with recreational drugs yourself, is not uncommon for people of their age in Europe or North America, but developing a serious drug addiction and hanging out with serious criminals who are, I should note, much older than they are, or indeed than Marius is, may be a completely different ball game.

What I am saying, I guess, is that Marius' troubles with the law, his violent behavior to his (ex-)girlfriend(s), and probably his substance abuse issues, may go well beyond typical teenage "transgressions" that Ingrid and Magnus may be familiar with from their circle of friends, unless they are also involved with the same type of people as Marius, which, in this case, would be an even bigger problem.

At this point, protecting Magnus and, especially Ingrid as a likely successor to the throne, from whatever influence Marius might have on them, should be a major priority for the Royal House in my humble opinion.

This entire Marius saga has been like slowing down to watch the aftermath of a car crash. The lurid details repel and fascinate all at once.🫣

And I feel truly terrible for Haakon and Mette-Marit. They seem to be a very sympathetic Royal couple and I can't imagine their anguish.🙁

Sure, having friends who use recreational drugs, or experimenting with recreational drugs yourself, is not uncommon for people of their age in Europe or North America, but developing a serious drug addiction and hanging out with serious criminals who are, I should note, much older than they are, or indeed that Marius is, may be a completely different ball game.

What I am saying, I guess, is that Marius' troubles with the law, his violent behavior to his (ex-)girlfriend, and probably his substance abuse issues, may go well beyond typical teenage "transgressions" that Ingrid and Magnus may be familiar with from their circle of friends, unless they are also involved with the same type of people as Marius, which, in this case, would be an even bigger problem.

At this point, protecting Magnus and, especially Ingrid as a likely successor to the throne, from whatever influence Marius might have on them, should be a major priority for the Royal House in my humble opinion.
If Ingrid truly does see Marius in a mainly positive light, doesn’t that indicate that she’s already been substantially protected from his influence? I’d think her idea of him as a cool, loyal, protective person would have been replaced by other impressions if she’d had sustained exposure to any of the things that have become common knowledge lately.

Haakon and Mette Marit may have (over)protected Marius in every way they could while still setting hard and firm limits on what they wouldn’t tolerate around the younger two children. It helped that they had an estate with a place for Marius to live that was close, but not too close, so they never had to choose between having him in the family home or seeing him on the street. I’m sure Ingrid and Magnus were aware that their brother had problems, and likely saw their mother and father struggling emotionally, which can’t have been easy, but that’s not the same as growing up witnessing drug use and violence.

I guess the other possibility is that Ingrid’s feelings toward her older brother are actually very complicated, but she’s appropriately avoiding saying negative things about him in public, and maybe over emphasizing the positive because she wants to make her parents feel better.

The audio recording of Marius' conversation with the two detectives has attracted a lot of attention after Se og Hør published it on Tuesday. Now lawyer Øyvind Bratlien says that Marius recorded the conversation. He has never sent it to anyone. It should therefore not be possible for Se og Hør to obtain it legally. There is therefore reason to question several aspects of the legality surrounding it and they are therefore considering a report.
Se og Hør editor Ulf André Andersen writes that the recording was obtained "in the usual journalistic way". Beyond that, he doesn't want to comment on Bratlien's statement.
The decision to arrest Marius was written at 15.00 on Tuesday, just over half an hour before Se og Hør's publication. Se og Hør tells that the recording was presented to the police five days before it was published.
Bratlien says it is a striking coincidence that Se og Hør publishes information about the conversation and recording, and that the police then decide to arrest shortly before it is published.
Police prosecutor Andreas Kruszewski doesn't want to comment on Bratlien's statements.

During these days I have gotten the feeling that Marius' lawyer is frustrated and maybe pressured by Mette-Marit and Haakon to do more for Marius.

Nettavisen's royal expert Tove Taalesen says the new information shows a serious development in the case, and it's clear that it is now really time for Mette-Marit to come forward.
- Now it is high time that we get a meaningful statement from the crown prince couple. The least the Crown Prince's family must do now is to come up with a clear position on what they think about violence in close relationships and drug use. Now it has to come.
If Haakon's family doesn't make a statement, Taalesen thinks that the royal court must do so. They can no longer hide behind the fact that he is not a member of the royal house. Because he is part of the family.

Last edited:
The press keep going on about Mette Marit in particular needs to go out and say something. Of course they do, that's a seller.
However, considering the increasing mess that is being exposed, it's better if Mette Marit in particular say as little as possible. If anyone needs to talk, let Haakon do it, but don't let Mette Marit near a microphone. Lest she go into protective mode regarding Marius or is lured to saying something she shouldn't.

I find it interesting that the recording was Marius. You are normally obliged to tell someone if you record someone, or you risk being sued.
Why would Marius even record the conversation? Surely he trust the police, if he is innocent.
And was that recording open? I.e. he placed his phone on the table for the police officers to see? Or did he hide it?
Why did he even record the conversation?
- I'd say that normal law-abiding Norwegians don't think about recording the conversation, if the police wants to talk to them. That smells like something he has learned from someone.

I find it very likely that the recording (I'm sure it was on Marius phone) was copied along with all other content on the phone. Whether that was done by the police or the security police is an open question. The police (both branches) would be very interested to study photos, notes, text messages, money transfers, GPS trackers and the phone-log.

Sorry to say this, but I think the only way the monarchy won't be harmed any further is if Prince Haakon and Princess Mette-Marit get a divorce.
Blog royal with the big guns 😆

I don't think it needs to go this far. It is apparent that the family spoiled him and he never felt consequences in his life. If he won't go to jail, he needs to leave Norway forever for the sake of his stepfather and half-sister. Also so his victims can live in peace.

Nora Haukland posted today a picture on Snapchat, where she writes that she has received nasty messages after media reports about Marius' case, and that she therefore slept with a friend last night.
Nora's lawyer John Christian Elden confirms that a concrete threat has been received related to Nora's status as offended in the case.
- Trying to threaten a victim in a criminal case into silence is very serious. Therefore, all such reports are reported to the police for a breach of the Criminal Code's provisions on opposing the judiciary. This is a provision that has a penalty of 6 years in prison. In cases involving abuse in close relationships, it is extra important that the victims should feel safe to tell their story and get help. Such threats must then be reported, investigated and prosecuted. We don't want to say anything more about the content of the threat beyond the fact that we have no basis to suspect that the accused in the criminal case is behind the threat. Haukland has confidence that the police will take the necessary investigative steps to identify the sender of the threat, says Elden to Dagbladet.

John Christian Elden confirms to Nettavisen that they have now reported a concrete threat.
- Her safety is taken care of by the police, but she has also traveled away for a period. She trusts the police to solve this.
He will not comment on anything about her trip.

Elden states that Haukland will report the threat.
- She has received threats that she and Snekkestad must withdraw their reports. It is serious in a case that deals with violence in close relationships, where it is important that the victim feels safe.
Elden says that the threats come from an account on social media that has obviously been created under a false name.
- Nora Haukland has faith that the police are investigating who these threats are coming from. We have no basis to believe that they come from Marius Borg Høiby himself.
Juliane Snekkestad's lavyer Petter Grødem states that Snekkestad has not received such threats.

Last edited:
Nora Haukland posted today a picture on Snapchat, where she writes that she has received nasty messages after media reports about Marius' case, and that she therefore slept with a friend last night.
Nora's lawyer John Christian Elden confirms that a concrete threat has been received related to Nora's status as offended in the case.
- Trying to threaten a victim in a criminal case into silence is very serious. Therefore, all such reports are reported to the police for a breach of the Criminal Code's provisions on opposing the judiciary. This is a provision that has a penalty of 6 years in prison. In cases involving abuse in close relationships, it is extra important that the victims should feel safe to tell their story and get help. Such threats must then be reported, investigated and prosecuted. We don't want to say anything more about the content of the threat beyond the fact that we have no basis to suspect that the accused in the criminal case is behind the threat. Haukland has confidence that the police will take the necessary investigative steps to identify the sender of the threat, says Elden to Dagbladet.

John Christian Elden confirms to Nettavisen that they have now reported a concrete threat.
- Her safety is taken care of by the police, but she has also traveled away for a period. She trusts the police to solve this.
He will not comment on anything about her trip.

Elden states that Haukland will report the threat.
- She has received threats that she and Snekkestad must withdraw their reports. It is serious in a case that deals with violence in close relationships, where it is important that the victim feels safe.
Elden says that the threats come from an account on social media that has obviously been created under a false name.
- Nora Haukland has faith that the police are investigating who these threats are coming from. We have no basis to believe that they come from Marius Borg Høiby himself.
Juliane Snekkestad's lavyer Petter Grødem states that Snekkestad has not received such threats.
Excuse my ignorance, but maybe the Scandinavian members can clarify an important point.

Does Norway have some kind of separate Crown Prosecution Service that brings criminal charges before an independent judge or magistrate, or is criminal prosecution in Norway still initiated in the old-fashioned way by the police itself, mostly via police-employed attorneys?

The reason why I am asking this is that many countries recognize the importance of formally separating the prerogative to bring up criminal charges and initiate criminal prosecution on indictment from the law enforcement agencies/bodies that actually carry out criminal investigations, in order to prevent possible systemic bias and conflicts of interest.

Last edited:
Poor Nora. Hope she stays strong and safe.

It’s slightly strange because she’s had the ‘say as little as possible; I would just like to move on with my life’ attitude all along, whereas Juliane has been slightly more defiant (and came forward originally).

Maybe whoever did this saw her as easier to intimidate? It’s terrible to have to be threatened; first allegedly by Marius and now this because of that.

Poor Nora. Hope she stays strong and safe.

It’s slightly strange because she’s had the ‘say as little as possible; I would just like to move on with my life’ attitude all along, whereas Juliane has been slightly more defiant (and came forward originally).

Maybe whoever did this saw her as easier to intimidate? It’s terrible to have to be threatened; first allegedly by Marius and now this because of that.

But Nora's lawyer has told to the press that Nora had some evidence to present at her interrogations. Juliane's lawyer hasn't spoken about any evidence.

Marius has been charged with threats to kill a person. Nettavisen is aware that this is a man in his 20s, but the police will not confirm the gender or age of the victim. The information that it is a man has not previously been made known.
Police prosecutor Andreas Kruszewski:
- I can only confirm that it is a death threat, but will not confirm whether it is a man or a woman.
Kruszewski also says that they are talking about a different death threat than what appears from the audio clips between Marius and the third victim in the media. He can't comment more due to the investigation. Nettavisen has tried to get in touch with the offended man without success and sent questions to Marius' lawyer Øyvind Bratlien, he has been presented with Nettavisen's information and the statements to the police. Bratlien writes that this is unknown information to him.

The fact that clarification is needed that it is a different death threat by Marius to someone else than the previous one shows the seriousness of this case.
Or black humor, at this point. Aside from rape or murder it’s hard to feel surprised by much of what M has done by now (I’m sure there will be something, but the fatigue sets in quickly).

I know the wheels of justice are grinding slow and exceedingly fine here, but I wish they’d just charge him or put him in custody while this goes on. Most people don’t make headlines about how much of a potential danger they are every day, while still living free and without a single consequence so far.

Threats against one of thr accusers, Nora, and it's not Marius.
Well he is good friends with criminals and a terrorist. This is getting more and more dangerous and I hope the victims are given protection.
The Crown Prince couple should give a statement, that they haven't surprises me a bit. They are not just parents in this situation, they are the future reigning couple.

The Crown Prince couple should give a statement, that they haven't surprises me a bit. They are not just parents in this situation, they are the future reigning couple.
I don’t think they can, and I wouldn’t be surprised if King Harald doesn’t want them to. (Otherwise they might have said something.)

Not only is he their child and it’s a little difficult to condemn him when he’s not legally guilty of anything, there’s the police investigation going on. Anything they say might be taken the wrong way or even make things worse for Marius, not to mention the NRF.

I think at this point it’s still better they keep quiet. Let’s see what they need to say when charges are filed and he’s got to plead (even if he already admitted guilt in one instance).

I hope all the victims in this case are offered police protection…

Even if it is not Marius who has threated Nora Haukland this time, looking at his group of friends and what they are clearly capable to do should be alarming enough…

Or black humor, at this point. Aside from rape or murder it’s hard to feel surprised by much of what M has done by now (I’m sure there will be something, but the fatigue sets in quickly).

I know the wheels of justice are grinding slow and exceedingly fine here, but I wish they’d just charge him or put him in custody while this goes on. Most people don’t make headlines about how much of a potential danger they are every day, while still living free and without a single consequence so far.
IMO Marius is getting very close to the point where he really is jailed, pending the police investigation.

Not sure about the Norwegian justice system, which is very much aimed at reforming people and admittedly few have indeed come out better from only serving a long prison sentence. In DK we have the concept of "retsfølelsen" = the feeling of justice by the public. And it happens frequently that someone is jailed until the trial solely due to restfølelsen. It happens usually in cases of violence, rape, DUI cases where someone has been killed or seriously injured or repeat offenders. In these cases they are locked up out of consideration of the public sentiment. - Also to maintain a degree of public respect for the justice system and to prevent vigilante justice, which can and do happen.
Considering how Marius is pretty much openly flaunting the justice system, by breaching a restraining order, by partying away in Italy, by still associating criminals (the friends in the hunting lodge, with the illegal weapon), by we must unfortunately suspect having friends call Nora Haukland and by showing no genuine remorse at all, I'd say: One misstep more and Marius should be locked up.

To be honest I have the uncanny feeling that the seriousness of the whole thing either hasn't dawned on Marius at all. Or just as bad, he think it's cool that he is now a real outlaw, just like his criminal friends and that it will increase his street credits by him doing time. You know, he be big bad gangsta.

I'm sorry but what on earth is he thinking? Or is he not thinking? Or is he incapable of thinking? Or is he still convinced that he can get away anything solely based on who his parents are?

To violate the restraining order is the last thing he should have done and he should have realised how this will be portrayed.
We don't know. If he has a major mental illness he may not be processing his situation accurately. If he has a personality disorder, he is likely angry and finds it difficult to restrain himself. If he is actively using, then anything is possible. This doesn't make him "not criminally responsible" but it does suggest that expecting rationale behaviour from him may be unreasonable.

If Ingrid truly does see Marius in a mainly positive light, doesn’t that indicate that she’s already been substantially protected from his influence? I’d think her idea of him as a cool, loyal, protective person would have been replaced by other impressions if she’d had sustained exposure to any of the things that have become common knowledge lately.
I guess the other possibility is that Ingrid’s feelings toward her older brother are actually very complicated, but she’s appropriately avoiding saying negative things about him in public, and maybe over emphasizing the positive because she wants to make her parents feel better.
He may be a perfectly nice big brother. He's seven years older than Ingrid, so she was still very young when he was getting out in the world.

It must be very disorienting to love someone only to find that he's a criminal.
Excuse my ignorance, but maybe the Scandinavian members can clarify an important point.

Does Norway have some kind of separate Crown Prosecution Service that brings criminal charges before an independent judge or magistrate, or is criminal prosecution in Norway still initiated in the old-fashioned way by the police itself, mostly via police-employed attorneys?

The reason why I am asking this is that many countries recognize the importance of formally separating the prerogative to bring up criminal charges and initiate criminal prosecution on indictment from the law enforcement agencies/bodies that actually carry out criminal investigations, in order to prevent possible systemic bias and conflicts of interest.
LOL, or in other words, "In the criminal justice system, the people are represented by two separate yet equally important groups: the police, who investigate crime; and the district attorneys, who prosecute the offenders. These are their stories. [Clunk, clunk]"

IMO Marius is getting very close to the point where he really is jailed, pending the police investigation.

Not sure about the Norwegian justice system, which is very much aimed at reforming people and admittedly few have indeed come out better from only serving a long prison sentence. In DK we have the concept of "retsfølelsen" = the feeling of justice by the public. And it happens frequently that someone is jailed until the trial solely due to restfølelsen. It happens usually in cases of violence, rape, DUI cases where someone has been killed or seriously injured or repeat offenders. In these cases they are locked up out of consideration of the public sentiment. - Also to maintain a degree of public respect for the justice system and to prevent vigilante justice, which can and do happen.
Considering how Marius is pretty much openly flaunting the justice system, by breaching a restraining order, by partying away in Italy, by still associating criminals (the friends in the hunting lodge, with the illegal weapon), by we must unfortunately suspect having friends call Nora Haukland and by showing no genuine remorse at all, I'd say: One misstep more and Marius should be locked up.

To be honest I have the uncanny feeling that the seriousness of the whole thing either hasn't dawned on Marius at all. Or just as bad, he think it's cool that he is now a real outlaw, just like his criminal friends and that it will increase his street credits by him doing time. You know, he be big bad gangsta.
I'm still baffled about the hunting lodge business. Whose lodge was it? Were they actually there for the grouse hunting? (Sounds unlikely, since they had only one illegal weapon.)

I'm very surprised that his attorney and family haven't tried to force him into residential (and secure) treatment somewhere to keep him out of harm's way until a trial.

I'm still baffled about the hunting lodge business. Whose lodge was it? Were they actually there for the grouse hunting? (Sounds unlikely, since they had only one illegal weapon.)

I'm very surprised that his attorney and family haven't tried to force him into residential (and secure) treatment somewhere to keep him out of harm's way until a trial.

Public records show that it is a business magnate who owns half of the cabin. Nettavisen has asked him about the arrest of Marius and about the weapons and drug seizure that was made.
- I do not wish to make any comments. Enough has been written about this matter.
According to Nettavisen's information, the amounts of drugs that were found are small.
- My client is not suspected of anything related to drugs, writes Marius' lawyer Øyvind Bratlien in a message to Nettavisen.

At the cabin where Marius was arrested, there was also a 38-year-old who has recently been convicted of drug possession and money laundering, and charged in a new major cocaine case, where a former footballer in the Eliteserien was arrested in the Netherlands with over ten kilograms of cocaine in his car. The 38-year-old, who is an acquaintance of the footballer, denies any criminal responsibility.
The man's defender, lawyer Øystein Storrvik, confirms that his client was at the cabin with Marius.
- It was a cabin trip with friends. He is not attached to this weapon at all. Nor is he connected to the drugs that were found, says Storrvik to Dagbladet.

Marius' lawyer Øyvind Bratlien said today that they are considering reporting the leak, Se og Hør publishing the conversations Marius had with the two polices. Now Se og Hør's editor-in-chief Ulf André Andersen is considering going to a counter-suit against Marius' lawyer, he says:
- I would like to remind both Marius Borg Høiby and lawyer Bratlien that it is a criminal offense both to submit incorrect reviews and to make false accusations of criminal offenses against others. I actually don't think Bratlien is qualified to be Høiby's defender. This matter has become too big for him. Firstly, he recommended his client to travel to Italy. It doesn't seem very smart to send a person with extensive substance abuse problems to an area where it is easy to get hold of drugs. Secondly, it is clearly lawyer Bratlien's strategy that his clients shouldn't allow themselves to be questioned. For a person who is a member of the royal family, it is unheard of not to cooperate with the authorities. What's more, this delay of time imposes additional, unnecessary expenses on us taxpayers. Thirdly, how wise was it to go on a hunting trip in the situation his client is now in? Weapons and drugs have never been a good combination.

Last edited:
I'm really worried about Marius's three ex-girlfriends. Oftentimes, when abusers are being held responsible for their actions and they can potentially lose everything because of it (e.g. the girlfriends, the free access to wealth, living on a royal property with little to no bills, diplomatic passport, possible coverup of other crimes due to royal influence, etc.), they become desperate and even more violent in their actions. Publicly, at least, it seems as though there's no restrictions on his movements or police protections for his ex-girlfriends, which, God forbid, can turn really ugly really quick if it remains that way.

I wonder how the newspapers are getting all those detailed informations. The more there is published the more I get confused about who said what and how reliable all of it is. I just don't understand the delay in questioning him, can't they take him into some kind of pre trial confinement to get on with the case? The longer it takes the more I fear for the safety and well being of the victims. Even if Marius himself wouldn't do anything those criminal and dangerous "friends" cannot be trusted.

So now the editor is fighting with the lawyer. I think this particular shitshow (sorry, we’ve seen there’s no translation in Norwegian) just qualified for three-ring circus.

Haakon and MM should definitely not say anything right now.

Publicly, at least, it seems as though there's no restrictions on his movements or police protections for his ex-girlfriends, which, God forbid, can turn really ugly really quick if it remains that way.
He can’t have access to the latest ex (restraining order); Nora now appears to have a degree of police protection or surveillance due to the threats, and Juliane is seemingly fine and hasn’t been contacted or threatened.

They seem to be relatively okay for the moment. Things might get easier if Marius was in custody for a time allowing everything to settle a little.

LOL, or in other words, "In the criminal justice system, the people are represented by two separate yet equally important groups: the police, who investigate crime; and the district attorneys, who prosecute the offenders. These are their stories. [Clunk, clunk]"
Nope, Marius got moved to SVU a couple of weeks ago.

I am pretty sure Norway has a separate prosecutorial system like other places; Scandinavian members feel free to clarify.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom