Marius Borg Høiby News & Current Events Part 1: December 2023 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm actually happy to hear he is locked up. It is what is best and safest for his victims. He has verbally threatened to kill people, darn near attempted to by multiple times strangling one of his exes, and he violated a restraining order.

I'm actually happy to hear he is locked up. It is what is best and safest for his victims. He has verbally threatened to kill people, darn near attempted to by multiple times strangling one of his exes, and he violated a restraining order.

We will see if he will be arrested for a long time.
At NRK's updated article it is said:
According to what NRK learns, Høiby has been charged with violating a restraining order.
Marius' lawyer Øyvind Bratlien to NRK:
- Høiby disputes this and does not admit criminal guilt. In my 17 years as a defense attorney, I have not experienced or heard of an arrest on such a thin factual and legal basis.
According to Bratlien, the police believe that Høiby has broken the restraining order, because he tried to contact the victim once from a hidden telephone number. The police claim Høiby broke the restraining order on 7 September.

Interesting to hear more from the police later today.
And here it is, press release from the Police, Update in the Høiby case - violation of a restraining order:

At the beginning of September, the police received information that Marius Borg Høiby had on several occasions made unwanted contact with the woman who has the status of offended in the incident at Frogner on 4 August. Based on this, the police filed a report for reckless behaviour, and Høiby imposed a restraining order against the woman.
Recently, the police received information that Høiby had broken the restraining order. It was decided that he should be arrested on the basis of the risk of recidivism. He was arrested by the police late on Friday evening.
The accused will be given the opportunity to explain himself to the police.
The charge against Høiby has been extended. As of now, there are four victims in the case. The Oslo police district is investigating the case with high priority.
For the victim in the incident at Frogner, the charge has been extended to also include reckless behavior and violation of a restraining order, in addition to one further case of bodily harm from earlier.
For victim Juliane Snekkestad and victim Nora Haukland, the charges each include a case of abuse in close relationships, cf. § 282 of the Criminal Code.
Høiby is also charged with threats directed at a further person. The report in this case has been created by the police.

Last edited:
May I add, I think it’s safest for him also. The only way for him to get out of the mud now is to be completely extracted from his way of life. He wouldn’t like it, but if he does want to turn things around he needs it.

Well, he's not locked up anymore.
Marius' lawyer Øyvind Bratlien confirms to TV 2 that Marius has been released.
- He should never have been arrested.

Nettavisen's royal expert Tove Taalesen at her chronicle among other things:
How much did Crown Prince Haakon know? Do we have a crown prince family that is above the law?
Someone must have known what was going on with and around Marius, and not taken seriously the security challenges this poses for King Harald.
What happens if the police have failed to notify their superiors because it is the royal family, and you don't want to "disturb" or bother. What happens if the police have notified the Royal Court, but the information has not been passed on to King Harald and Crown Prince Haakon?
And what happens if it turns out that Crown Prince Haakon has helped to hide a serious crime?
Marius is not a private person, he is the son of the future queen. Someone close to him must have known what was going on. No one is able to hide mental illness, drug problems and acting out behavior from everyone in their vicinity.

Dagbladet is informed that Marius was met by a large police contingent when he was arrested.

Marius' lawyer Øyvind Bratlien tells that Marius was on a hunting trip when he was arrested late on Friday evening.
The cabin he visited in Gausdal is located in a field of cabins with a view of the mountain areas. VG visited the cabin on Saturday morning. All the blinds were drawn and those who stayed in the cabin did not want to talk to the press. There was no visible damage to the cabin's front.
Bratlien states that Marius was on a hunting trip with friends and did not bring any weapons on the hunting trip. Grouse hunting started last Tuesday, September 10.

Juliane Snekkestad's lawyer Petter J. Grødem to VG about the police's press release:
- This is a serious charge. This means that the police believe that it is more likely that it happened than that it did not happen. My client is not concerned with what he is charged with, she is concerned with preventing similar incidents from happening again and getting the truth out.
Nora Haukland's lawyer John Christian Elden:
- It is as expected after the police obtained Nora's explanation and evidence, and we hope that the case will now have a quick conclusion. She has not been in for supplementary questioning, but is available to the police if they think there is a need for it.

Last edited:
What a mess !
I agree, but, at least in this particular case, we must give Marius the benefit of the doubt.

Norway is a constitutional state where due process is observed. If Marius, as his lawyer claims, was wrongfully arrested on a charge that is not factually correct (in this case, breaking the restraining order) , then it is right that he should be released.

As we don't know the facts of the case, I don't think we should jump into conclusions that Marius is being given special treatment just because he is a member (or former member) of the Royal Family and is somehow "above the law". That is not to say that he is not indeed being protected for being who he is. I am just cautioning that I personally cannot reach that conclusion independently in this specific arrest/release case without additional information.

And is still developing...
I am amazed at how many leaks there have been!

The latest being this recording from the police-talk with Marius.
At this rate it's only a matter of time before the harassing calls and texts by Marius are also leaked.
We almost know what color of socks Marius wore when he was arrested.
Any reasonably competent investigation should be able to figure out where most of these leaks come from. Especially in a case like this, where you'd think everybody was told to keep quiet. Or else!

I suspect there has been a lot of frustration within the Norwegian police. Because it is now obvious that the police has a considerable file on him and as we know from recent articles Marius even bragged about how "he is protected by the police."
I believe the police have for a long time been annoyed by Marius probably openly been doing cocaine, openly associating with known criminals, they probably knew about his abusive behavior as well. And given that it is my impression that Marius is not a rocket-scientist and never will be, he may very well have taunted the police - knowing that he so far has gotten away with everything.
So I think that when the police got the chance to nail him, knife in wall and all, they did so. Because come on, two uniforms opening a case against Marius on their own? Forget it. Unless they wanted to spend the rest of their career patrolling the third island to left 100 km west of Lofoten, they got an OK from way high up. The question is of course: How high up? Certainly high enough up to prevent someone else from overriding that decision.
Otherwise this episode with the third victim would have been swept under the carpet as well, as she seemingly needed some persuasion to press charges against Marius.

So I imagine someone finally had enough of Marius and the NRF and gave the order: When you get the chance, nail him!
I wonder though whether that someone expected it would blow up this much.
I'm amazed that you are amazed at the leaks. I'm a complete cynic when it comes to judiciary leaks, they'll happen if the person involved is a public interesting one to the press. It happens in Norway, Denmark, France, Spain or Tinboctutu if it existed.

Marius is dealing with a charge of violence against a woman and another possible charge of threats against her (correct me if I'm wrong}

He's not being charged by a possible cocaine use or using known criminals to supply him with drugs. Let's be frank, too many young and not so young people do cocaine without being charged for using drugs. Keeping a factual perspective in this issue instead of making him as evil for being the son of MM who is going to bring the NRF down, goes a long way. :)

We need to wait until the police finish their dossier and matter comes to court a

Well, he's not locked up anymore.
Marius' lawyer Øyvind Bratlien confirms to TV 2 that Marius has been released.
- He should never have been arrested.

Nettavisen's royal expert Tove Taalesen at her chronicle among other things:
How much did Crown Prince Haakon know? Do we have a crown prince family that is above the law?
Someone must have known what was going on with and around Marius, and not taken seriously the security challenges this poses for King Harald.
What happens if the police have failed to notify their superiors because it is the royal family, and you don't want to "disturb" or bother. What happens if the police have notified the Royal Court, but the information has not been passed on to King Harald and Crown Prince Haakon?
And what happens if it turns out that Crown Prince Haakon has helped to hide a serious crime?
Marius is not a private person, he is the son of the future queen. Someone close to him must have known what was going on. No one is able to hide mental illness, drug problems and acting out behavior from everyone in their vicinity.

Dagbladet is informed that Marius was met by a large police contingent when he was arrested.

Marius' lawyer Øyvind Bratlien tells that Marius was on a hunting trip when he was arrested late on Friday evening.
The cabin he visited in Gausdal is located in a field of cabins with a view of the mountain areas. VG visited the cabin on Saturday morning. All the blinds were drawn and those who stayed in the cabin did not want to talk to the press. There was no visible damage to the cabin's front.
Bratlien states that Marius was on a hunting trip with friends and did not bring any weapons on the hunting trip. Grouse hunting started last Tuesday, September 10.

Juliane Snekkestad's lawyer Petter J. Grødem to VG about the police's press release:
- This is a serious charge. This means that the police believe that it is more likely that it happened than that it did not happen. My client is not concerned with what he is charged with, she is concerned with preventing similar incidents from happening again and getting the truth out.
Nora Haukland's lawyer John Christian Elden:
- It is as expected after the police obtained Nora's explanation and evidence, and we hope that the case will now have a quick conclusion. She has not been in for supplementary questioning, but is available to the police if they think there is a need for it.
This gets more and more bizarre! So he comes back to Norway from Italy and is in a cabin somewhere on a hunting trip???

I'm amazed that you are amazed at the leaks. I'm a complete cynic when it comes to judiciary leaks, they'll happen if the person involved is a public interesting one to the press. It happens in Norway, Denmark, France, Spain or Tinboctutu if it existed.

Marius is dealing with a charge of violence against a woman and another possible charge of threats against her (correct me if I'm wrong}

He's not being charged by a possible cocaine use or using known criminals to supply him with drugs. Let's be frank, too many young and not so young people do cocaine without being charged for using drugs. Keeping a factual perspective in this issue instead of making him as evil for being the son of MM who is going to bring the NRF down, goes a long way. :)

We need to wait until the police finish their dossier and matter comes to court a
I'm still amazed.

Because this isn't just "sources within the police say..."
We have been presented with concrete evidence, like sound files - on several occasions and while the investigation is still ongoing.
That I find most unusual. Especially as it shouldn't be that difficult for an internal investigation to figure out who leaked what.
Normally with such a high-profile case you'd expect to hear about rumors and gossip from within the police, but apart from the press-briefings by the police not much else specific.
We would also learn something from the lawyers and probably something from friends of the victims as well.
I can't off hand remember a high profile case where so many factual details have been published in the press.

This is in a any way a most odd case!

As for Marius being released. No surprise there. Marius got arrested by a show of force, was dragged in to give a statement and then released. Because while it may be enough to add an additional charge against Marius it's probably not enough to jail him - this time...
IMO this was so much a warning to Marius. And his friends as well perhaps.

I've compiled a list of Marius criminal friends (sentenced criminals, mind you) according to a brief look at what the Norwegian press has dug up. - All of these have been photographed with Marius over a period of years and you can see these photographs, albeit mostly blurred in these links.
These criminals again have links to other criminals.

Luka Murati, 38. Fraud and money-laundering. - He again has links to Swedish criminals and the Kinahan cartel from Ireland, who is dealing in heroine and cocaine.
Follomanden, 36. Fraud. - He again has links to a drug-smuggler and gang-members.
Another un-named man, 38. Money-laundering and possession of cocaine. - Who has connections to a man sentenced for dealing cocaine, who again have connections with the Albanian mafia and Hells Angels.

The Lørenskog-man, 48. Been doing time for dealing in amphetamine. He has also been investigated by the police for his connections with a man who is charged with terrorism, Arhan Bhatti. Who is believed to have been behind a terror-attack in Oslo in 2022, leaving two dead and 21 wounded.

Marius has a keen interest in high price watches. An interest he shares with a 46 year old man, who has been sentenced for attempted murder and who has openly presented himself as a gang-member to the press.
- Now, dealing with high-price watches, could I imagine, be a way of laundering money.

So when Marius pose with a pistol, there is IMO a good reason to suspect it was not a replica.
Also, when Marius threaten someone, there is good reason to take such a threat serious - considering his friends.

This gets more and more bizarre! So he comes back to Norway from Italy and is in a cabin somewhere on a hunting trip???
Reading this I had the same thought. First Italy now on a hunting trip, very strange and showing how privileged he is. All that costs money, a normal person couldn't afford these trips, especially not when he is charged with such serious accusations. In hindsight I don't believe one word of the public apologies he made to the victim. He should be under supervision by his family or put himself into a clinic or some place where he gets advice and calm. But this looks like going on with his life, enjoying trips with friends as if nothing has happened.
Maybe his parents are too lenient or helpless but some people whoever they are must be paying for his escapes from harsh reality.

I've compiled a list of Marius criminal friends (sentenced criminals, mind you) according to a brief look at what the Norwegian press has dug up. - All of these have been photographed with Marius over a period of years and you can see these photographs, albeit mostly blurred in these links.
These criminals again have links to other criminals.

Luka Murati, 38. Fraud and money-laundering. - He again has links to Swedish criminals and the Kinahan cartel from Ireland, who is dealing in heroine and cocaine.
Follomanden, 36. Fraud. - He again has links to a drug-smuggler and gang-members.
Another un-named man, 38. Money-laundering and possession of cocaine. - Who has connections to a man sentenced for dealing cocaine, who again have connections with the Albanian mafia and Hells Angels.

The Lørenskog-man, 48. Been doing time for dealing in amphetamine. He has also been investigated by the police for his connections with a man who is charged with terrorism, Arhan Bhatti. Who is believed to have been behind a terror-attack in Oslo in 2022, leaving two dead and 21 wounded.

Marius has a keen interest in high price watches. An interest he shares with a 46 year old man, who has been sentenced for attempted murder and who has openly presented himself as a gang-member to the press.
- Now, dealing with high-price watches, could I imagine, be a way of laundering money.

So when Marius pose with a pistol, there is IMO a good reason to suspect it was not a replica.
Also, when Marius threaten someone, there is good reason to take such a threat serious - considering his friends.
Oh my, this is getting more frightening and terrible each day. How was it possible that all these connections were never discovered before?

Police prosecutor Andreas Kruszewski says to NRK that Marius was released after it was established that he did not want to explain himself to the police.
- I cannot go into further details beyond confirming that the arrest happened without drama. We naturally want to question him at a later date.
Marius was arrested at a cabin. A suspected violation of the restraining order against the woman at Frogner was the basis for the arrest.
- He has not complied with the order, that he cannot contact the victim, I can confirm that it is a single violation by phone.
The police believe they have "reasonable grounds" for suspicion, that it is likely that Marius has broken the restraining. (..)

Marius was warned against breaking the restraining order again, the police told NTB.
Police prosecutor Andreas Kruszewski:
- He did not want to explain himself today, so we hope we will get it done at a later date. He has been released because we believe that the arrest itself, and the conversation we had with him in custody today, was sufficient to mitigate the risk of recurrence that existed when we arrested him. We made him aware that there will be consequences if he breaks the restraining order he has been imposed on again.
He specifies that it may involve detention or electronic monitoring.

Marius' lawyer Øyvind Bratlien:
- It is not true that Høiby has refused to explain himself. He explained that he had nothing to do with this and that he did not admit criminal guilt.

Olav Rønneberg, TV 2's crime commentator, says that the case is increasing in seriousness and scope. The most serious is the allegation of abuse in close relationships. It can give a penalty of 6 years. He clarifies that it is not a given that such a high penalty will be demanded, but says one can forget a confession case if there is an indictment in line with the charges. Then there will be a full trial, a full main hearing and full testimony where Marius will have to appear in person and explain himself. It will probably take weeks rather than days. About yesterday's arrest Rønneberg says that it is a bit special to be arrested in another police district on a Friday night for violating a restraining order by phone. There may be something we don't know now.
Royal house expert Ole-Jørgen Schulsrud-Hansen says that it appears that neither Marius, his family nor the apparatus around him has control. They must get that soon, but it appears that everyone is a bit paralyzed.
Someone must take responsibility, when Marius apparently does not do it himself.

Last edited by a moderator:
So… Would they release anyone else who violated a restraining order? :rolleyes:

It’s not particularly great when the police (or some of them) are seemingly treating him like his family.
I agree. Releasing someone when you have evidence that they broke a restraining order defeats the purpose of having the restraining order in the first place.

So… Would they release anyone else who violated a restraining order? :rolleyes:
It depends on what he has done, if there is an immediate threat to someone else, and if there is a risk he will flee to escape prosecution… If that risk is low, then the police have no legal authority to keep him in detention for a long period of time…

If this is what it sounds like (attempted contact over telephone with no threat and it only happened once) and nothing more, then they have no legal authority to keep him in detention for a long time…

This was most likely meant as a stern warning and a message to him that ”we know where you are”, and ”we know where your friends are”, and ”we know what you all are doing” so behave unless you want an electronic tagging around your ankle, or sit in long term detention (something the Chief Investigator from the Police also mentioned).

As much as i too think this investigation is going too slow, it may very well be that more things are coming…

It is very unusual to be arrested on a friday night, in a different police district, only to be taken in to be given a warning…… Today the police announced that there are 4 persons who has reported him, and not 3 as previously stated so i’m pretty confident this is still escalating…

Last edited:
The police prosecutor said he could confirm that “He has not complied with the order, that he cannot contact the victim, I can confirm that it is a single violation by phone.”
:previous:
Thanks to LadyFinn - I had trouble copying your quote :flowers:

So why did they release him if they know he violated the restraining order???

Oslo police's own crews attacked the cabin Marius was in. During the search, drugs were found and what the police believe was an illegal weapon, TV 2 is informed. So far, no one has been charged for these matters.
Marius' lawyer Øyvind Bratlien says he is not aware of the information that drugs and an illegal weapon were found.
- He was on a trip with friends, on a hunting trip. He had no weapons with him, says Bratlien.
Bratlien says also that the extension of Marius' charge is only a technicality.
- There is no drama in it.
Bratlien stated to NTB that he has never experienced or heard of an arrest on "such a flimsy factual and legal basis".
- I would call it reverse discrimination, no one else would have been arrested on the same basis.
Marius has not been questioned after the arrest on Friday. Bratlien says that they will interrogate as soon as possible for all parties, and estimates that this will happen during September.

What I find also interesting, that German Bild published a few photos of Marius but then it stopped. Surely there is more photos of Marius partying. Either the person, who sold the photos, hasn't more photos or the person got more money from someone else and Bild didn't get the photos.

I did read in BUNTE online, the German tabloid, that Marius has categorically denied any wrongdoing and his personal lawyer claims, all the accusations of illegally phoning one of the girls are without any merits. This sounds a bit like the Police has acted here to confident...

Ok, at this point, who is to believe Marius? But there is the law: In dubio pro reo (In doubt for the defendant!).

Like I wrote earlier to this thread, police prosecutor Andreas Kruszewski said:
He has been released because we believe that the arrest itself, and the conversation we had with him in custody today, was sufficient to mitigate the risk of recurrence that existed when we arrested him. We made him aware that there will be consequences if he breaks the restraining order he has been imposed on again.
Kruszewski specifies that it may involve detention or electronic monitoring.

Police prosecutor Andreas Kruszewski to Nettavisen about the restraining order:
- We opened a case of reckless behavior because there have been repeated calls from a hidden number from very different times of the day. In addition, there have been other unwanted attacks on the offended woman.
Nettavisen doesn't know whether Marius has activated the "hidden number" function or whether it automatically comes up as a hidden number because he may have a secret number.
When Marius was imposed a restraining order, he was warned of the consequences of breaking it. Nevertheless, he contacted the woman on the night of Saturday 7 September. This is also confirmed by the police. This was the reason why he was arrested again. The call took place around 00:55 that night. The police have set the crime address to Skaugum, Marius' home address.

Last edited:
But there is the law: In dubio pro reo (In doubt for the defendant!).
Which also states that they had to have enough evidence he violated the restraining order to get a warrant to arrest him. Going to fish him out of another district is not just probable cause.

Furthermore, they’re investigating him for acts of violence and death threats (and who knows what other felonies at this point), and he’s already casually traveled abroad, had a restraining order issued, violated it, and not shown the least remorse or restraint.

I know Norway is not a very harsh legal system, but in many a country he’d be doing a spell in the slammer while they work out just how much of an immediate threat or flight risk he is, not wandering around and partying.

Is it possible for Marius to be detained in a secure clinic or similar facility in or near Oslo, where he has no access to his exes, indeed nobody except his lawyers and perhaps his mother by phone?

It’s clear, to me anyway, that this man has a severe and longterm addiction to serious drugs which imo has been fuelling his behaviour for a number of years and the earlier he begins treatment for it the better it will be for him and those around him. There is no way he should have been allowed anywhere near firearms, hunting trip or no.

Last edited:
Like I wrote earlier to this thread, police prosecutor Andreas Kruszewski said:
He has been released because we believe that the arrest itself, and the conversation we had with him in custody today, was sufficient to mitigate the risk of recurrence that existed when we arrested him. We made him aware that there will be consequences if he breaks the restraining order he has been imposed on again.
Kruszewski specifies that it may involve detention or electronic monitoring.

Police prosecutor Andreas Kruszewski to Nettavisen about the restraining order:
- We opened a case of reckless behavior because there have been repeated calls from a hidden number from very different times of the day. In addition, there have been other unwanted attacks on the offended woman.
Nettavisen doesn't know whether Marius has activated the "hidden number" function or whether it automatically comes up as a hidden number because he may have a secret number.
When Marius was imposed a restraining order, he was warned of the consequences of breaking it. Nevertheless, he contacted the woman on the night of Saturday 7 September. This is also confirmed by the police. This was the reason why he was arrested again. The call took place around 00:55 that night. The police have set the crime address to Skaugum, Marius' home address.
So now one of the royal residences is officially a crime scene.

If Haakon and Harald don't take some action very fast, this could end very, very badly for the royal family. Even a statement saying, "We love Marius and want to do everything to help him set his life straight -- as we always have -- but he may not enter royal residences or have unsupervised contact with his siblings again"

Is it possible for Marius to be detained in a secure clinic or similar facility in or near Oslo, where he has no access to his exes, indeed nobody except his lawyers and perhaps his mother by phone?
No idea how it works in Norway but I’m only familiar with the version requiring a psychiatric evaluation as to whether he is a danger to himself or others because he cannot function safely. And even then it’s only for 48 hours, renewal optional.

As the police have had multiple opportunities to assess Marius’s mental state at this point and decide whether the emergency medical part was called for, I’m guessing he doesn’t appear like someone who needs that option.

He’s just an ordinary potential felon with ordinary psychological and drug-fueled problems that may be interfering with his judgment but not his awareness or other faculties.

If he’s going to be locked up against his will, he’s going to be arrested and jailed, not committed.

Sorry to say this, but I think the only way the monarchy won't be harmed any further is if Prince Haakon and Princess Mette-Marit get a divorce.

Sorry to say this, but I think the only way the monarchy won't be harmed any further is if Prince Haakon and Princess Mette-Marit get a divorce.
Okay, first, we still have no idea what either of them knew or did, for the most part.

Secondly, parents don’t get divorced over their children.

Thirdly, it’s a little late for that. Even supposing they split up tomorrow, Haakon would still bear responsibility for Marius and everything that occurred up to today.

Back
Top Bottom