King Constantine has passed away - January 10, 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Princess Christina, mrs Magnuson attends also the funeral.

Svensk Damtidning:
The royal couple and Princess Christina attend the funeral based on their close relationship with King Constantine's wife Queen Anne-Marie.
Does that mean that they will also be present at the burial at Tatoi?
- Yes, the royal couple and Princess Christina are present throughout the day of the funeral. They stay all Monday in Athens because of this and then travel back home on Tuesday, says Margareta Thorgren.
But Crown Princess Victoria stays at home?
- Yes it is true. It is important that the royal family is represented - and then it is the king and Princess Christina who are the closest relatives. This is not a state funeral, but the funeral ceremony will have a more private character.
Hovet om kungliga begravningen_ ”Därför är Victoria inte med” _*Svensk Dam

Last edited:
Though that was in London and QEII hosted the party at Hampton Court Palace, so the greek government at the time (the same Papandreou-cabinet that in 1994 stripped Constantine on his greek citizenship) didn’t even have to think about it…

But i would be very surprised and dissapointed if the BRF is totally absent… Even if they are famous for no-shows to many foreign royal events, they usually send someone to funerals….
I was referring to the remark that possibly the greek government could feel "offended" if the King of the UK would attend this particular funeral and was trying to point out that in the past, no royal family had any problems to attend greek royal events, no matter in or outside Greece.

I am sorry to have infuriated you with my opinions/comments. Being such an ardent defender of the Greek Royals I can understand your rage.

And, yes, I have never seen any interviews or documentaries about Constantine. Can you recommend some? I am always open to learn and get new information.

As you seem to be german I can recommend these two!

This one I find even better:
I am happy you want to learn more about it! Hope you enjoy it!:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was referring to the remark that possibly the greek government could feel "offended" if the King of the UK would attend this particular funeral and was trying to point out that in the past, no royal family had any problems to attend greek royal events, no matter in or outside Greece.
If you read about reactions to Pavlos wedding in a magazine when a few Greek ministers were invited, the prime minister at the time said that those who attend will lose their positions for attending. Plus it was said that many people in Greece were indifferent to the wedding when the news came in Greece. The government couldn’t do anything about the Greek royals having events outside Greece, but doing it in Greece was a little different, they largely ignore the family but the moment they get massive attention, they will try to rain on the parade

Last edited:
They are cleaning up the road to the Tatoi cemetery right now as well as the cemetery.No one felt responsible to clean up since the fires last year leaving the entire Tatoi estate derilict and dirty to a fault,a scandal!

Plus,on another note,there are no toilets in the vicinity,none,nada,despite numerous requests by the ever busy and dedicated President of the Friends of Tatoi Association!So,they have to put some in place for monday...like on a building site...for pete´s sake..

No respect,no inkling of civilisation

I do feel sorry for the Greeks who respect the late King and His Family and read all the comments,
they too were,are,victims to the respective incompetent and vile greek governments in regards to the history of the country.Instead,since 1974 after almost a decade of bashing and throwing lies regarding the Greek Royal Family,they held that obscene referendum and ofcourse the majority `voted `for abolishing the Monarchy.

I have never recognised that and have always been a supporter of the late King ever since I can talk & walk and known him.

Last edited:
They are cleaning up the road to the Tatoi cemetery right now as well as the cemetery.No one felt responsible to clean up since the fires last year leaving the entire Tatoi estate derilict to a fault,a scandal!

Plus,on another note,there are no toilets in the vicinity,none,nada,despite numerous requests by the ever busy and and dedicated President of the Friends of Tatoi!So,they have to put some in place for monday...like on a building job...for pete´s sake

No respect,no inkling of civilisation
It's so obvious that the Greek authorities would rather have the whole place disappear. The confiscation was one of pure spite without neither logic nor any economic considerations.

It's so obvious that the Greek authorities would rather have the whole place disappear. The confiscation was one of pure spite without neither logic nor any economic considerations.

Logic?...Don´t make it too difficult to them please...:whistling:

They seem to be able to make things difficult and complicated all on their own

Oh won´t they!

Democracy is a Greek invention...or so they say...but so is Chaos..
Just depends on ones view at which they are better...

It is part of the couleur locale...but also irritating,like now..

:kingdomofgreece:

Monday will see the largest gathering of Royals in Athens since the 1964 wedding of the late King and his beautifull Queen Anna Maria.

The Greek Royal Family will be embraced & supported by the Family of Royal.Bless Them.

If you read about reactions to Pavlos wedding in a magazine when a few Greek ministers were invited, the prime minister at the time said that those who attend will lose their positions for attending. Plus it was said that many people in Greece were indifferent to the wedding when the news came in Greece. The government couldn’t do anything about the Greek royals having events outside Greece, but doing it in Greece was a little different, they largely ignore the family but the moment they get massive attention, they will try to rain on the parade
Again: I did not refer to then greek ministers...! Please read posts properly before correcting. A greek minister surely is judged differently than foreign Royalty.

Again: I did not refer to then greek ministers...! Please read posts properly before correcting. A greek minister surely is judged differently than foreign Royalty.
I added something at the bottom of my post stating that “The government couldn’t do anything about the Greek royals having events outside Greece” but basically a few years prior (Nikolaos wedding) they had to be cautious about doing certain events in Greece because the government would rain on their parade. Yes, I read your post correctly, thank you very much.

wartenberg7 said:
As you seem to be german I can recommend these two!

I am German, although I have spent 5 years in the US, but that is long ago.
thank you for the links, I will watch all of them tomorrow.

And also, thanks to "Somebody" who also sent me a video

And, I am glad, that we, as fellow germans, can preacefully talk to each other!

Right now I hear New pine trees Will be planted ahead of the funeral at Tatoi monday,as to sort of hide the ecological disaster around the grave site there after last years files...It really is a disaster area

An attempt to hide the mess...they digged the grave already,it looks so austere,so derelict surroundings..I could cry..really,so sad.Unbelieveble.

Apparently the vice president of Greece will attend too...plus the minister of culture....
It´s like an episode of `Yes Minister `indeed..

Last edited:
Queen Anne-Marie seems to be handling the situation with tremendous poise (her children and grandchildren are surely there for her), and no-one likes to see someone they love turned into a vegetable, especially when that certain someone used to be an athlete. Doña Sofia and Princess Irene look destroyed though. Heartbreaking images.

--
I sincerely hope for Prince Joachim to be supremely, extremely, outrageously busy. Because if not even his uncle's passing can force him (and QMII, who will soon be 83) to make amends, then that's a crying shame.

Last edited:
Queen Anne-Marie looks good, though. As sad as she must be, I'm sure living with someone with chronic health problems has been stressful over the past few years.

It looks like infanta Cristina arrived as well.

It seems as if Constantine was a very loved family man, everyone looks terribly sad, including his daughters-in-law.

Is there any news on whether any member of the BRF will bestir themselves to attend King Constantine’s funeral? King Charles perhaps, whom the British Press assured us for years, was so close to the ex King. His godson, the Prince of Wales? Edward, the Duke of Kent, the Gloucesters? Anyone?

Is there any news on whether any member of the BRF will bestir themselves to attend King Constantine’s funeral? King Charles perhaps, whom the British Press assured us for years, was so close to the ex King. His godson, the Prince of Wales? Edward, the Duke of Kent, the Gloucesters? Anyone?

I read on twitter that it will be Princess Anne the one to represent the BRF, she's my favourite British royal, but for the life of me that I was expecting Prince William to attend. The BRF really doesn't make the effort for other Royal Houses, I was expecting KCIII's reign to be different in that regard.

Queen Anne-Marie knew that her husband's life was dying out for a long time. Months ago in October, it was published that according to their friends, since the King had been in the hospital last year, they barely left the house because the King's state of health was very fragile, the Queen only left the house to go to Denmark or other events. You even remember that Princess Tatiana took her to a charity concert to get her out of the house.
The King had chronic illnesses that were already in a very advanced irreversible phase.
She has taken care of him until the end, she did not like to see his physical deterioration, because she knew that he was not improving.
They had even determined the place of the Tatoi cemetery where he should be buried, yesterday Queen Anne Marie, accompanied by her children, pointed out the place where her husband, and she in the future, had decided to bury theirself.
She has been and will always be my Queen, a great woman, wife and mother

I read on twitter that it will be Princess Anne the one to represent the BRF, she's my favourite British royal, but for the life of me that I was expecting Prince William to attend. The BRF really doesn't make the effort for other Royal Houses, I was expecting KCIII's reign to be different in that regard.

Good, I hope Princess Anne does go, otherwise it would be a great shame, just as I was disappointed with the BRF response to the Margrave of Baden’s funeral. Prince Philip’s nephew but no British cousins there, after German relatives had made a huge effort to attend Prince Philip’s funeral. I continue to be dismayed at their attitude towards other Royal Houses, but I’ve given up expecting anything different.

Are we ever going to know what was ailing him?

Of course it was private and they don't have to say, but he was ill and deteriorating for quite a long time, and it seems like maybe the family would want to get involved in advocacy for whatever it was.

Maybe they won' t announce any attendance of a member of the BRF because of security reasons. So it could become a big surprise seeing W or even C.

Seriously? What is so incredibly more pressing that Charles III or better yet William can't attend the last rites of Cousin Tino, his own godfather?

It wouldn't look quite so strange if Charles wasn't known to occasionally make himself available for the funeral of the odd Middle Eastern potentate.:ermm:

I really hope that this speculation turns out to be incorrect.

Last edited:
Seriously? What is so incredibly more pressing that Chares III or better yet William can't attend the last rites of Cousin Tino, his own godfather?

It wouldn't look quite so strange if Charles wasn't known to occasionally make himself available for the funeral of the odd Middle Eastern potentate.:ermm:

I really hope that this speculation turns out to be incorrect.
Charles is sometimes is invited to go to funerals of Middle Eastern royals is because of the British government’s ties to them. As for why no one from the BRF is at Constantine’s last rites, we can only speculate

Back
Top Bottom