King Constantine has passed away - January 10, 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In most monarchies there is no regency when the King is abroad. If the government needs the Head of State to sign something urgent, he does so directly at the Spanish embassy in the country where he is.

Maybe that is something the Danish monarchy could look into. Seems quite practical, expedient and modern.

Probably it was so as you said. But still, part of his family made a big thing out of being royal.
Just for an example look at this

https://www.preussen.de/

An abolished monarchy but Georg Friedrich of Prussia who is "the heir" is still doing a very good job. He is preserving the castles, the history, he is well aware that he would never be heir of a throne, but is doing much to preserve his family's history as well as it was German history.

He has a family, 4 children, is living in a house somewhere in the north of Germany, has studied, is earning his own money, never did marry into rich families, raising his children, is not on Insta or whatsoever.

And does not regret of not being Kaiser. But, he is very engaged to preserve the history of his family and does everything to show it to the public.

That is a difference(at least to me)

I am aware that you and others will still not understand my point, but I still wanted to tell it.
You obviously have an obsession about this...! Where is evidence that the greek royal family is "making a big thing out of being royal"..?! It is a fact that both the Ex-King and Ex-Queen (I add the "Exes" especially to satisfy you..!) are related to almost every royal family in europe and some aristocratic german families as well. It is only natural that for big royal family events, they are/ were invited. At these events, a certain dresscode exists, that means that the ladies wear her jewellery (Queen Anne-Maries PRIVATE property!) and orders and the men white tie and their decorations. It is not because they are obsessed "looking royal" - it is just the thing to do at these kind of events. I know that the late british Queen spoke about Constantine as if he was still in office.

Obviously you never saw extensive documentaries or interviews with King Constantine! He never failed to say that he is fully accepting the outcome of that 1974-referendum and it was completely the decision of the greek population to decide if they want that to stay that way or not. I really don´t see who or when anybody from this family made a big thing about being royal. They don´t need that, just because they are royal! They are a royal family having been living in exile for a long time and some of them returned to their home country about 10 years ago. That´s it. Nobody claims to ascend a non-existing throne!
By the way, this thread is about the sad occasion of Constantines death. There is another greek royal thread on this forum dealing with the current and future situation of this family in Greece!

Pigs will fly before the Greek state would ever allow the family to be involved in managing the burial site. The state wouldn’t even allow the family to buy it from them and have allowed the property to be in disarray.

The Greek state could have given him the property but refused to, and it wouldn’t matter if the family paid to renovate it themselves because the state don’t want them having anything that represents the former monarchy.
Well, all of this over the years prooves, that the greek state obviously (from my point of view without any reason as there is no serious monarchial movement in Greece) fears them...:whistling:

Last edited by a moderator:
The Crown Prince and Crown Princess of Norway get to go per BB. They will represent the Norwegian Royal Family.

DK really needs to add at least one more person to that Rigforstander list...maybe a Count could be available. The way it is now, Mary always ends up having to stay home when it deals with family matters abroad. I am sure she will get her condolences somehow to her aunt and cousins-in-law.

Christian turns 18 in 9 months and will likely be added immediately by the Queen and the Government (the documents adding new rigsforstanders needs to be signed by both the Queen and the PM as there is some constitutional powers with that role in dk)

Joachim would also have been an option wich would have allowed Mary to travel to Athens too - but i suspect he would say ”no way mummy” given how the situation is between them

Last edited:
Christian turns 18 in 9 months and will likely be added immediately by the Queen and the Government (the documents adding new rigsforstanders needs to be signed by both the Queen and the PM as there is some constitutional powers with that role in dk)

Joachim would also have been an option wich would have allowed Mary to travel to Athens too - but i suspect he would say ”no way mummy” given how the situation is between them

Or Joachim has actual responsibilities with his job in France and is unable to travel to DK.

Or Joachim has actual responsibilities with his job in France and is unable to travel to DK.
If there was a forced choice between the two then Prince Joachim deserves the opportunity to be at the funeral of his uncle instead of Crown Princess Mary.

Last edited:
I believe that the British Royal Family will also be represented, perhaps by the Earl and Countess of Wessex, or Prince William who was the godson of King Constantine.
But members of other royal families must also be present.

I suspect King Charles may attend himself. He has changed a few of the late Queen's customs, and not attending foreign royal gatherings may very well be one of them.

If there was a forced choice between the two then Prince Joachim deserves the opportunity to be at the funeral of his uncle instead of Crown Princess Mary.

Agree. Someone has to stay as regent, and I'm sure Mary does not have a problem staying behind.

Joachim and Marie, I hope do attend. Okay, Joachim has a job but Marie could go if he is unable. In hard times, family should be there to support their Aunt and cousins.

I don't know anything about the Savoys so I can't comment on it. Perhaps a bit more comparable than the Germans, but again, I don't know. What I do know is hard hard the Greek Government fought against the royals to keep them out.

Considering they seem to make comments whenever the Greeks try to do things in Greece, I'm not surprised that they haven't been able to establish much in the country.

I don't think this conversation should be happening in this thread, to begin with, so perhaps we can return to simply talking about the funeral?

The Italian Republic basically confiscated all the properties and assets of the Italian Royal Family and banned the male descendants in paternal line of King Victor Emmanuel III from living in the country. That was actually enshrined in the Italian constitution until a constitutional amendment allowed the main line of the Savoys to return to Italy after they agreed to pledge loyalty to the Republic (a public humiliation in my humble opinion). Collateral branches of the dynasty were not affected, however, either by the confiscation of assets or the forced exile from Italy.

The dynastic orders of House of Savoy were also discontinued in Italy and forbidden from being worn. Those included some of the oldest orders of chivalry in Europe such as the Supreme Order of the Most Holy Annunciation, established circa 1368, and the Order of Saints Maurice and Lazarus, which was technically established in 1572, but is actually a merger of previous orders including the Order of St Lazarus of Jerusalem, established by the Crusaders around 1098 and recognized in 1119. As explained by other posters, however, the Savoy orders were preserved as a private charitable organization now based in Switzerland, as it would be actually illegal to move the charity to Italy under anti-monarchist legislation still in force.

Princess Tatiana's reaction:
It’s almost impossible to post a picture when you want to say so much and there are not enough words to describe what a wonderful man you were and how blessed and honoured I feel to be part of your tight-knit loving family.

But there’s more - over the past years I have truly learned what “love of country” means and watched how you passed it on to your children, and through Nikolaos, to me. Thank you. Your legacy, your loyalty, your light and your love lives through them all. It has been an honour to be your daughter-in-law.

Gold Olympic Medalist for Greece at the age of 20, King, husband, brother, father, grandfather, black belt karate, friend, father-in-law and so much more- may you rest in peace Your Majesty ❤️ Uncle Tino - You are so missed and will be forever loved. ❤️ ✨ Αναπαύσου εν ειρήνη
https://www.instagram.com/p/CnVUqkqubgR/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I suspect King Charles may attend himself. He has changed a few of the late Queen's customs, and not attending foreign royal gatherings may very well be one of them.

I doubt he'll attend, but you never know. My guess is that his attendance would be seen as too "political" for the Greek government. Sending William (or Anne, Edward, or even Camilla) would be less provocative.

Moved by Tatiana's post. What an incredible life indeed, and what a beautiful family.

I doubt he'll attend, but you never know. My guess is that his attendance would be seen as too "political" for the Greek government. Sending William (or Anne, Edward, or even Camilla) would be less provocative.

The Greek Government has done (and continues to do) great harm to Konstantinos and his family, but the government does not decide who attends and who doesn't, although I don't doubt they would love to. :furious:

Last edited:
The Greek Government can get stuffed it's a family funeral.

Tatiana's post was very beautiful indeed. A statement fit for someone who has the proper conduct of a spouse of a new head of a deposed royal family. Personally, I find it deeply unfortunate that it isn't Nikolaos who succeeds his father.

______

Joachim's apparent absence at his uncle's funeral is confusing to me. I don't buy a "he couldn't get time off from work" explanation. First, let's not overestimate the amount of hours and urgent importance that goes into his position :cool: But more importantly, he has a very capable assistant who could easily fill in for him for one day. Fingers crossed it has nothing to do with sweet little Henrik's illness that kept Marie away from the NY courts.

Last edited:
The Greek Government has done (and continues to do) great harm to Konstantinos and his family, but the government does not decide who attends and who doesn't, although I don't doubt they would love to. :furious:

I meant more that the diplomatic optics might be difficult for Charles, not that the Greek government was calling the shots. But we'll see what happens. Perhaps he will attend.

While I don't see Charles will attend, he (or William) does have a very valid reason to attend given his Greek ancestry and the personal connection which could "override" the diplomatic concerns.

"In the chapel of Agios Eleftherios in the Metropolitan Cathedral of Athens, the body of the late King Constantine will be placed in pilgrimage from 06:00 to 10:00 on Monday, January 16.
Citizens who wish to do so will be able to go for these hours to the chapel next to the holy temple in order to pay homage to King Constantine .
Afterwards, the funeral service will be held at 12:00 in the Metropolitan Cathedral. The body of the King will then be transferred to the royal cemetery of Tatoi where his burial will take place in a strictly close family circle."

""We are all sorry to lose him. But he left in our hearts the great love for our country, for which he dedicated his whole life, and which country he loved so much until the end," said Crown Prince Pavlos."

Last edited:
While I don't see Charles will attend, he (or William) does have a very valid reason to attend given his Greek ancestry and the personal connection which could "override" the diplomatic concerns.

I think William (and possibly, Anne) will represent the BRF. Even though Charles was close to the former King, I think he will receive Anne Marie and the rest of the family privately to express his condolences.

Eloquent and moving. I had forgotten that the late king was a Gold Medal Olympian...and a black belt!
Very beautiful put. These kind of words could only come from her!:wub:

Even back in 1995 the british Queen along with her husband and heir, joined by many other crowned heads of state, attended the greek CP`s wedding! I think if Charles would want to go, he´s d break his late mother´s habit -as a sovereign - to (almost) never go abroad for a funeral, no matter what the, unsaid, whishes of the greek government are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even back in 1995 the british Queen along with her husband and heir, joined by many other crowned heads of state, attended the greek CP`s wedding! I think if Charles would want to go, he´s d break his late mother´s habit -as a sovereign - to (almost) never go abroad for a funeral, no matter what the, unsaid, whishes of the greek government are.

Though that was in London and QEII hosted the party at Hampton Court Palace, so the greek government at the time (the same Papandreou-cabinet that in 1994 stripped Constantine on his greek citizenship) didn’t even have to think about it…

But i would be very surprised and dissapointed if the BRF is totally absent… Even if they are famous for no-shows to many foreign royal events, they usually send someone to funerals….

It's not any more political than the Danish and Swedish monarchs attending.

I don’t think it must have to do with “political” stuff. It is a private funeral and as such anyone can attend.

I believe someone’s absence is more due to the fact that funerals are planned last minute, and royals have very busy schedules most times.

But I’m sure someone from the BRF will go. They are among the closest to the GRF.

The Netherlands will be represented by The King, Queen Máxima and Princess Beatrix.

Prince Constantijn (a godson of the late King Constantine) and Princess Laurentien will not attend the funeral.

Obviously you never saw extensive documentaries or interviews with King Constantine! He never failed to say that he is fully accepting the outcome of that 1974-referendum and it was completely the decision of the greek population to decide if they want that to stay that way or not. I really don´t see who or when anybody from this family made a big thing about being royal. They don´t need that, just because they are royal! They are a royal family having been living in exile for a long time and some of them returned to their home country about 10 years ago. That´s it. Nobody claims to ascend a non-existing throne!
ation of this family in Greece![/QUOTE]

I am sorry to have infuriated you with my opinions/comments. Being such an ardent defender of the Greek Royals I can understand your rage.

And, yes, I have never seen any interviews or documentaries about Constantine. Can you recommend some? I am always open to learn and get new information.

You might want to start with this short one:

Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg will also attend the funeral according to greek media (though not officially confirmed by the court in luxembourg)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom