Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am also shocked so many of the top anchors from the US are going. Anderson Cooper was not a top anchor when he covered Ed's wedding. He is CNN's biggest money maker now

In addition, ABC is sending its top anchors including David Muir himself, their actual top guy. CBS is as well.

PBS is also sending over a large team. I have posted info on other boards about the broadcasts. I can do a master post for here? Would that be allowed/ok?

ABC (US) Announces Wall to Wall Week Long Royal Wedding Coverage:

ABC News announced today special coverage of the royal wedding of Prince Harry to Meghan Markle, featuring an extended edition of “Good Morning America” on Saturday, May 19 (5:00–10:00 a.m. EDT), on The ABC Television Network. “GMA” co-anchor Robin Roberts and “World News Tonight” anchor David Muir will lead live coverage from Windsor, England.

Robin Roberts and Muir will be joined by a team of reporters and royal experts, including “GMA” weekend anchor and “The View” co-host Paula Faris; correspondents Deborah Roberts, James Longman, Adrienne Bankert; contributors Imogen Lloyd Webber, Victoria Murphy, Omid Scobie and British biographer Andrew Morton, who will bring live reports of the arrivals, ceremony, carriage ride around Windsor and other festivities from various locations throughout Windsor and London. Freeform and ABC News digital platforms, including ABCNews.com and GoodMorningAmerica.com, mobile apps, social platforms and OTT services, will also simulcast the five-hour special edition. An additional hour of “GMA” will air Saturday at 7:00 a.m. PDT for the West Coast.

“20/20” will provide in-depth coverage of the royal wedding with primetime specials on Friday, May 18 (10:00 – 11:00 p.m. EDT), and Saturday, May 19 (10:00 – 11:00 p.m. EDT), with Muir anchoring and correspondent Deborah Roberts reporting from Windsor. Saturday’s special, airing just hours after the wedding, will recap the day’s most memorable moments, including the vows, reception, fashion, the royal couple’s first public appearance following the wedding and other inside details.

Coverage of the royal wedding kicks off with Faris reporting live from London, starting Monday, May 14, for “GMA,” with the latest details as the world prepares for the royal wedding. “GMA” co-anchor Michael Strahan will anchor live from Windsor on Thursday, May 17, and will be joined by Robin Roberts on Friday, May 18.

Muir will anchor “World News Tonight” live from Windsor on Friday, May 18, and Saturday, May 19.

“Nightline” will have a week of coverage counting down to the royal wedding.

ABC News and “GMA” will have special coverage on their digital platforms, including on ABCNews.com and GoodMorningAmerica.com, mobile apps, social platforms and OTT services on the days leading up to the wedding.

ABC News Radio will provide extensive coverage on Saturday, May 19 (6:00 – 10:00 a.m. EDT), anchored by ABC News correspondent Aaron Katersky with reporting from Windsor by correspondents Tom Rivers and Cheri Preston. Royal expert and author Jane Green will join Katersky in New York. The ABC News Radio team will provide multiple one-minute status reports each hour throughout the morning. Rivers and Preston will also report from Windsor in the week leading up to the wedding.

Last edited:
That is truly remarkable, Zaira. However, in my last post, I wasn't just referring to US coverage. Free to air channels here in Australia are giving this wedding extensive coverage as well, (comparable to 2011) and Meghan isn't Australian.

I'm surprised they are sending people to report from London as well.

That is truly remarkable, Zaira. However, in my last post, I wasn't just referring to US coverage. Free to air channels here in Australia are giving this wedding extensive coverage as well, and Meghan isn't Australian.

Thank you for pointing that out. Important since some continues to dismiss this as not a big deal and only Americans care about it.

I'm surprised they are sending people to report from London as well.

They did for 2011 too, but I do wonder if they would be doing this for Harry's wedding if he wasn't marrying an American?

Every major network has announced their plans in the US except Fox.

Former “Good Morning America” co-host Joan Lunden was on Fox News covering the wedding in 2011

Fox News channel will almost certainly be covering this wedding. Just not announced yet.

I'm not sure why so many are shocked that the US is sending over so many reporters. The US media loves the BRF...particularly Charles and Diana's sons. All of the big and small networks sent over their top anchors and did live broadcasts in London for Kate and William's wedding (and George's birth), so I expected it with Harry too. Plus you add in the fact that Meghan is American and the US press was bound to go all out again.

Think it will be televised in Times Square?

It was for William and Kate.

I can see them covering the wedding, as these are going to be ratings bonanzas. They cover weddings and funerals, but probably not much else will cause them to send film crews over.

That is truly remarkable, Zaira. However, in my last post, I wasn't just referring to US coverage. Free to air channels here in Australia are giving this wedding extensive coverage as well, (comparable to 2011) and Meghan isn't Australian.

There was a lot of coverage when Mary married Fred too my favorite wedding of all

They did for 2011 too, but I do wonder if they would be doing this for Harry's wedding if he wasn't marrying an American?

Every major network has announced their plans in the US except Fox.
But the wedding isn't in London this time. They are going to both Windsor and London.

:previous: Likely getting the 'excitement in the streets' kind of view. Windsor they can only do so much. London is still center, even if wedding not there.

I laugh when people think 'he is only sixth, the interest will be small'.

People don't care about how close someone is to the throne. They care about who is interesting and exciting to watch. Harry is Diana's son. He is the third most senior male working royal. He was considered the sexy bachelor for a long time. And he is marrying a well known American actress. All of this means there is going to be a lot of interest.

ABC (Australia) are covering the wedding. Just announced the details. Channel 9 is providing hours of viewing. Channel 7 will undoubtedly, just haven't announced yet. So that will be three out of the four free to air Australian networks covering it. I doubt Channel 10 will though. They don't have the budget or set up to do it and usually provide what they call 'an alternative' on Royal occasions.

https://tv.press.abc.net.au/royal-wedding-prince-harry-and-meghan-markle

I think Channel 10 is sending Angela Bishop and Lisa Wilkinson to the UK Curryong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please note that posts containing gossip and/or speculation about behind the scenes dramas concerning news anchors etc have been deleted since such a subject does not relate even remotely to the topic of the thread. If people wish to conduct a private conversation amongst themselves, they may do so by PM. Thanks

Another reason for more extensive coverage of this wedding just may be the timing. Its a Saturday wedding and on a weekend. In the US, it used to be that Saturday mornings were reserved for cartoons for the kids. Its not prime time either. With it being the weekend, these stations have the prime time advantage of covering something to draw in the viewers and what better than a royal wedding?

I love it because it takes the focus off the nasty stuff of the world and directs us to take in and appreciate the love story of two people that are aiming to make a difference in this world. There is far too little coverage of the good in this world.

Another reason for more extensive coverage of this wedding just may be the timing. Its a Saturday wedding and on a weekend. In the US, it used to be that Saturday mornings were reserved for cartoons for the kids. Its not prime time either. With it being the weekend, these stations have the prime time advantage of covering something to draw in the viewers and what better than a royal wedding?

I love it because it takes the focus off the nasty stuff of the world and directs us to take in and appreciate the love story of two people that are aiming to make a difference in this world. There is far too little coverage of the good in this world.
That’s has nothing to do with it as they are also doing prime time specials related to this couple and wedding. And there is a reason why nothing interesting airs during that time normally. Nobody is watching. Obviously, if they are going all out for this, they believe people will watch for this during a time they wouldn’t normally watch TV.

I believe that the fact that many, many stations are going to be airing specials and documentaries and shows in the full week leading up to the wedding is because there is actually something going on in this world besides politics, scandals and investigative committees. Its embracing human interest. The beauty of this wedding is that there is a draw for people in many different ways and not just because a British royal is getting married. That's only one aspect of it.

In its own way, Harry and Meghan's wedding is getting people in front of their television sets to watch something that offers hope for a better tomorrow. Its a chance to believe that there is good still in this world and that we're not heading full tilt into an Armageddon scenario. Its a chance for all of us to embrace those times in our lives when we believed in fairy tales and the happily ever after.

I agree---lets hear it for the spotlight of the good.;)

And you are right about the networks in the US----they will milk this for all its worth. Ad revenue rates during this broadcast and their auxilliary programming for it will be boosted during dayparts when they are usually doing children's programming. Networks are in the business of knowing what draws the viewers and by extension, the money. Not a comment on the noteworthiness of the occasion, just an observation that they will deploy resources if there is money to be made and Diana and her sons are a proven draw in the US.

I agree---lets hear it for the spotlight of the good.;)

And you are right about the networks in the US----they will milk this for all its worth. Ad revenue rates during this broadcast and their auxilliary programming for it will be boosted during dayparts when they are usually doing children's programming. Networks are in the business of knowing what draws the viewers and by extension, the money. Not a comment on the noteworthiness of the occasion, just an observation that they will deploy resources if there is money to be made and Diana and her sons are a proven draw in the US.
I have noticed a distinct mellowing of the Media towards Megan on both sides of the Atlantic. After all, if they kept up the acid, they would kill the goose that they expect to lay a very large golden egg.

Anyways, this wedding is going to be a huge event and I know that once its May 20th, it'll be all over for me most likely as far as big, televised British royal weddings are concerned so I'm going to make the best of this one in every way I possibly can. :D

I’ve deleted the discussion about royal fashion and whether the Queen wants women in the BRF to wear stockings. If you wish to discuss fashion, please take it to the fashion threads.

:whistling: Coming out of the shadows to say I, too, have always cringed when this happens at a wedding.

I would think that a unity candle would be appropriate if the couple were doing a handfasting ceremony with all the bells, books and candles to go along with it.

For Harry and Meghan's wedding? Not a chance. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom