General Questions About The Ruling Family Of Abu Dhabi 1:

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Feiraguy.

The appointment of Muhamed bin Tahnoun, son in law of MBZ as Director of Special Operations Divisions..you have been predicting this for a while right ? He will be elevated at some point ? Even might replace Saif bin Zayed in future ? Saif will train him as he is sisters son?

Last edited:
He is very well positioned to be the future Minister of Interior, or the Commander of the Abu Dhabi Police, he is the son-in-law of the President, full nephew of Saif bin Zayed and son of Tahnoun bin Mohamed.

If he proves competent enough, and if he has the confidence of the President and his uncle Saif, he is the main candidate. But I have no information about his relationship with Khalid, this is also an important factor.

Looking at the Abu Dhabi Police organizational chart, the "Commander in Chief" I guess is the Ruler of Abu Dhabi, so the commander in fact is the "Director General", who consequently is a member of the Executive Council of Abu Dhabi. As Director of the Special Tasks Sector, Mohamed bin Tahnoun can be considered in practice the second in authority within the Abu Dhabi Police.
https://www.adpolice.gov.ae/-/media/Project/ADP/ADP/AboutUs/Org_structure_2021_english.jpg

EDIT:

and yes, for sure Saif is grooming him to be his successor

Last edited:
Just asking, is being competent really needed ? Being MBZ's sons on son in law's, grandsons is not enough ? What happens they turn out to be incompetent?

Yes, it is necessary to show competence, there is no doubt about it.

The Ministry of the Interior is REALLY strategic, one of the most important and powerful, no one gets this position for nothing.

But I was thinking yesterday about this division of roles for this new generation. There are five very strategic ministries: presidential court, interior, foreign affairs, finance and defense; these last two are reserved for Dubai, Abu Dhabi's strong man in Defense is usually the "Minister of State for Defence" or the "Chief of Staff of the Armed Forces", and the strong man in finance heads the Finance Department of the Abu Dhabi Executive Councol or head of one of the emirate's sovereign wealth funds. There is also the position of NSA, which is as important as a Ministry.

If the role of Minister of the Interior is indeed right for Mohamed bin Tahnoun, there would only be two ministries left for Dhiyab and Hamdan bin Mohamed: Presidential Court and Foreign Affairs. I can see Dhiyab being Mansour's heir, and Hamdan being Abdullah's heir in their respective roles.
This makes me wonder about the future of Mohamed bin Hamad (who could hold either of these two positions), and Shakhbout bin Nahyan, who could also be considered an heir to Abdullah. Ahmed bin Tahnoun seems to me to be MBZ guy in the Defense area.

Other important questions we might ask: Who is Tahnoun's heir as NSA? Who will be the finance guy? Who will be the Chairman of Khalid's Crown Prince Court? Who is Khalid's heir as head of the executive branch? Names like Zayed bin Mohamed, Zayed bin Hamdan and Khalifa bin Tahnoun strike me as the strongest options today.

Last edited:
We know that Khalifa of bani mohamed didn't have any son. Do you know Hamad bin Khalifa belongs to which Al Nahyan branch?

Well, he's not from Bani Zayed, he's not from Bani Mohamed, he's not from Bani Shakhbout, he's not from Bani Khalid, he's not from Bani Hamdan bin Zayed the Great... only Bani Saqr remains. Or he is a descendant of Zayed the Great's younger brother Dhiyab, but I'm not sure if they use Al Nahyan or Al Falahi.

He is known as Hamad bin Khalifa Al Nahyan. Some websites say his full name is Hamad bin Khalifa bin Mohamed. I think you know him, owner of a football club.

I know him, but I don't know his lineage.
I tried to google "Hamad bin Khalifa bin Mohamed bin" and someone referred to him as "Hamad bin Khalifa bin Mohamed bin Khalifa bin Zayed" which is the lineage of Sheikh Zayed the great.

But that was the only reference I could find, and it doesn't seem entirely reliable. If he had an instagram account it would be easier to unravel this mystery.

But I was thinking yesterday about this division of roles for this new generation. There are five very strategic ministries: presidential court, interior, foreign affairs, finance and defense; these last two are reserved for Dubai, Abu Dhabi's strong man in Defense is usually the "Minister of State for Defence" or the "Chief of Staff of the Armed Forces", and the strong man in finance heads the Finance Department of the Abu Dhabi Executive Councol or head of one of the emirate's sovereign wealth funds. There is also the position of NSA, which is as important as a Ministry.

If the role of Minister of the Interior is indeed right for Mohamed bin Tahnoun, there would only be two ministries left for Dhiyab and Hamdan bin Mohamed: Presidential Court and Foreign Affairs. I can see Dhiyab being Mansour's heir, and Hamdan being Abdullah's heir in their respective roles.
This makes me wonder about the future of Mohamed bin Hamad (who could hold either of these two positions), and Shakhbout bin Nahyan, who could also be considered an heir to Abdullah. Ahmed bin Tahnoun seems to me to be MBZ guy in the Defense area.

Other important questions we might ask: Who is Tahnoun's heir as NSA? Who will be the finance guy? Who will be the Chairman of Khalid's Crown Prince Court? Who is Khalid's heir as head of the executive branch? Names like Zayed bin Mohamed, Zayed bin Hamdan and Khalifa bin Tahnoun strike me as the strongest options today.

Am gonna save this, your predictions are mostly right .Minister of Interior being such an important post, how come this ended outside Bani Fatima. Who appointed Saif ? His father or Khalifa or MBZ ? I have read that Saif is very loyal to MBZ, still he is non Bani Fatima right ?

Does anyone know how old Shamsa bint Suhail Al mazrouei, late Khalifa bint Zayed wife is? Also was her dad an important ally and did she come from an important family? Because he didn’t marry within the family.
Correct me if I’m wrong but I think the birth order of her children is:
Shaikha
Sultan
Ousha
Moza
Mohammed
Salama
Latifa
Shamma

Based on her grandchildren’s ages as MBZ son in law Mohammed bin Hamad bin Tahnoon is Shaikha’s son.

Does anyone know how old Shamsa bint Suhail Al mazrouei, late Khalifa bint Zayed wife is? Also was her dad an important ally and did she come from an important family? Because he didn’t marry within the family.
Correct me if I’m wrong but I think the birth order of her children is:
Shaikha
Sultan
Ousha
Moza
Mohammed
Salama
Latifa
Shamma

Based on her grandchildren’s ages as MBZ son in law Mohammed bin Hamad bin Tahnoon is Shaikha’s son.

The wedding took place around the same time that Sheikh Zayed was marrying several women from different tribes to win their loyalty. I believe this marriage is part of that same process.

I believe your order is correct.
I imagine both she and Khalifa were teenagers at the time of their marriage,

Am gonna save this, your predictions are mostly right .Minister of Interior being such an important post, how come this ended outside Bani Fatima. Who appointed Saif ? His father or Khalifa or MBZ ? I have read that Saif is very loyal to MBZ, still he is non Bani Fatima right ?

He was appointed Director General of Abu Dhabi Police in 1995 and Undersecretary of the Ministry of Interior in 1997 by his father; was appointed Minister of the Interior in 2004 on the eve of Sheikh Zayed's death (probably reflecting the wishes of his brothers).

1- At the time he was appointed, Sheikh Khalifa counterbalanced the influence of Bani Fatima by placing his other half-brothers in positions of power.

2- He is VERY competent in his duties and this competence is well recognized.

3- Bani Mouza is loyal to Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed, Sheikh Hamed was Chairman of the Crown Prince's Court of MBZ between 2004 and 2019, a clear demonstration of trust.

Didn't Khalifa bin Zayed and Shamsa marry in 1964? Sultan bin Khalifa was born in 1965, doesn't this make him the eldest child? Isn't Latifa bint Khalifa, wife of Diyab bin Tahnoun is the youngest? She married at the end of all. Her kids are also younger than others, do you know What's her age?

Who is older between Latifa and Maryam bint Khalifa bin Saif?

Am gonna save this, your predictions are mostly right

I am trying to design the first ministry (both the federal and the emirate) composed mostly by the generation of Sheikh Zayed's grandchildren, but it is complicated, there is clearly not room for everyone

Crown Prince:
Khalid bin Mohamed bin Zayed

Ministers/Defence Chief:
Dhiyab bin Mohamed bin Zayed (is being groomed to be Deputy PM and head of some ministry, probably the presidential court)
Hamdan bin Mohamed bin Zayed (minister at some strategic Ministry)
Ahmed bin Tahnoun bin Mohamed (likely Chief of Staff of the Armed Forces)
Mohamed bin Tahnoun bin Mohamed (likely Minister of Interior)
Mohamed bin Hamad bin Tahnoun (close to MBZ, but is there room for Mohamed in any ministry?)
Shakhbout bin Nahyan bin Mubarak (perhaps he is Abdullah's heir, but there is a possibility that MBZ wants one of his sons or sons-in-law heading the Ministry)

NSA/Chairman of Khalid’s Crown Prince Court/Head of the Executive Branch/Finance Chief/Heads of Sovereign Wealth Funds/Heads of Departments:
Zayed bin Mohamed bin Zayed
Sultan bin Hamdan bin Zayed
Zayed bin Hamdan bin Zayed
Khalifa bin Tahnoun bin Mohamed
Nahyan bin Saif bin Mohamed (will he eventually be more useful in Abu Dhabi than in Riyadh?)

Unclear:
Mohamed bin Surour bin Mohamed (military career)
Zayed bin Surour bin Mohamed (financial career)
Zayed bin Hamad bin Hamdan (police career)
Khalifa bin Sultan bin Hamdan (I have no idea what MBZ prepares for him)

the others that I didn't mentioned, I don't believe they will have any space in ministerial positions

Interesting list. Would be fun to see this manifesting. Appointment of CP will take minimum of 5 years right ? In an ideal case scenario ?

Does ministry of Defence and Finance go to Dubai even after Mohamed bin Rashid ? I thought he was invited to be part of Federal government and it ends with him ?I don't see his sons having potential to lead these portfolios. Even if they, will MBZs sons be willing to be subordinates to MRMs sons ? Does that also mean PM and vice president roles go to Hamdan after his father ?

Last edited:
Interesting list. Would be fun to see this manifesting. Appointment of CP will take minimum of 5 years right ? In an ideal case scenario ?

Does ministry of Defence and Finance go to Dubai even after Mohamed bin Rashid ? I thought he was invited to be part of Federal government and it ends with him ?I don't see his sons having potential to lead these portfolios. Even if they, will MBZs sons be willing to be subordinates to MRMs sons ? Does that also mean PM and vice president roles go to Hamdan after his father ?

Maktoum bin Mohamed has been Minister of Finance for about a year and a half; the Ministry of Defense should go to Dubai, I don't know who the minister would be, maybe Hamdan (Fazza), maybe Ahmed bin Mohamed bin Rashid, maybe Ahmed bin Saeed. In any case, it is purely ceremonial, decisions on Defence will be made by the President and his trusted men.

Hamdan will be vice president; he may be the Prime Minister, but there is a possibility that he will nominate Maktoum.

None of the President's sons will be subordinate to Fazza or Maktoum, so not in practice. In the UAE, you need to separate what is "de jure" and what is "de facto"; officially, the Prime Minister is from Dubai, but in practice he executes decisions made by Abu Dhabi.

I think in a few years we will see this team:
Hamdan bin Mohamed bin Rashid - Prime Minister and Minister of Defence
Maktoum bin Mohamed - Deputy PM and Minister of Finance
Dhiyab bin Mohamed - Deputy PM and minister of something (presidential court?)
Hamdan bin Mohamed bin Zayed - Deputy PM and minister of something (foreign affairs?)

or

Maktoum bin Mohamed - Prime Minister and Minister of Finance
Dhiyab bin Mohamed - Deputy PM and minister of something (presidential court?)
Hamdan bin Mohamed bin Zayed - Deputy PM and minister of something (foreign affairs?)

I cannot estimate how long Mohamed bin Zayed will be able to rule without an heir, perhaps five years is the limit.

Then there's the NSA position. Zayed bin Mohamed strikes me as too young and inexperienced to replace Tahnoun.

Would Mohamed bin Hamad be the favourite? He is present at most meetings with international leaders. Shakhbout bin Nahyan is recognized as a talented diplomat... Does Nahyan bin Saif's experience in Riyadh qualify him to be the NSA? Maybe. I see some chance for Zayed bin Hamdan too.

Anyway, it will be very difficult to replace Tahnoun, we'll see what MBZ plans

It will take more than 5 years to replace the current set of leaders which gives ample preparation time for Bani MBZ. Between where is Tahnoun ? He is not even present at Ramadan majlis..this guy surely works in shadows.

Who is shakbout bin Nahyan ? Is he the doctor that is competent in his current position from what I can remember ? Is he the son of that minister of tolerance ? Is that tolerance minister important in Abu Dhabi political circles ?

And can you pls. just brief what major changes happened on the even of Sheikh Zayed's demise ? Khalifa and MBZ becoming president and CP respectively and Saif becoming Minister of Interior..there was info on wikileaks, but they were too many articles related to this and I dozed off reading.

Last edited:
Yes, the recent appointments in ADIA and Mubadala (and the retention of Hamed bin Zayed) have shown that this generational change will not happen anytime soon, there is time for everyone to prepare

Shakhbout bin Nahyan is the son of the Minister of Tolerance and son-in-law of Hamdan bin Zayed, he graduated from Sandhurst, was ambassador in Riyadh and is now Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, his mission seems to me to be to coordinate relations with the countries of sub-Saharan Africa.
Yes, the Minister of Tolerance is important within the Al Nahyan family

In addition to the events you mentioned, Mansour became Minister of Presidential Affairs

How come Hamdan bin Zayed managed to get such strategic marriages for his kids. Have these marriages helped Hamdan become any stronger politically ?

I have read somewhere that Mansour was also Minister of Presidential affairs(may be a different name, same role ?) while his father was president that made him the most accessible son to his father. True ?

Mansour held the title of "Director General of the President's Office", which gave him a lot of power over who had access to Sheikh Zayed. The Chairman of the Presidential Court was Sheikh Surour bin Mohamed.

This question about weddings I think I answered a few days ago. His children's marriages did not contribute to Hamdan gaining any kind of power. Marriages gave power to their sons and sons-in-law,

Two of his sons, Sultan and Zayed are very close to Khalid, and Zayed's marriage to MBZ's daughter enables him to reach important ministerial-level posts.
Marriages with his daughters allowed Shakhbout bin Nahyan and Khalifa bin Tahnoun to grow politically

Am bit confused here. Understood his sons being close to Khaled and married to MBZ's daughter would help them. when Hamdan himself is not powerful, how come marrying his daughters benefit Shakbout and Khalifa ? Isn't Khalifa's father more powerful than Hamdan bin Zayed ? Shakbout, you said Nahyan bin Mubarak is powerful too ? Or coming into Bani Fatima helped them ?

Does Hazza bin Sultan bin Zayed have two wives? Did he marry al Shamsi in 2020? Is he divorced from first?

Last edited:
Does anyone know how old Hazza bin Tahnoon bin Mohammed is? He is the eldest son of Shamsa bint Zayed and Tahnoon bin Mohammed.
Also the age of their other son Mohamed bin Tahnoon who married the president MBZ’s daughter Maryam bint Mohammed (her age is around 42).
This is because I’m trying to work out Shamsa’s age, I think she is at least the same age as her half brother MBZ (62) or just older. But then her son Mohamed must be the same age or older than Maryam (42)and Hazza is older than him. I know Shamsa’s husband Tahnoon is considerably older than her ( early 80’s). So she must have started having kids young.

Does Hazza bin Sultan bin Zayed have two wives? Did he marry al Shamsi in 2020? Is he divorced from first?

Yes, he married an Al Shamsi; I have no information about whether he divorced Sheikh Saif bin Mohamed's daughter.

Am bit confused here. Understood his sons being close to Khaled and married to MBZ's daughter would help them. when Hamdan himself is not powerful, how come marrying his daughters benefit Shakbout and Khalifa ? Isn't Khalifa's father more powerful than Hamdan bin Zayed ? Shakbout, you said Nahyan bin Mubarak is powerful too ? Or coming into Bani Fatima helped them ?

But what do you mean you don't understand? We have already spoken here about the strength of Bani Fatima
If Khalifa bin Tahnoun and Shakhbout bin Nahyan married daughters of other bloodlines, they would likely be a few steps behind in their careers.
No one is stronger than Bani Fatima;

My bad. Even if they are individually weak, as a pack they are strong. Bani Fatima is old news now. Bani MBZ is on the rise. This will change all the equations. Interesting days ahead. Congratulations pouring in from all sides of Gulf on new appointments.

When we talk about "Bani MBZ" we are talking about the future; Bani Fatima as a block is very strong and will be for a long time.

And there is no one politically "weak" in Bani Fatima; it is more advantageous to marry a child from Hamdan than a child of any other Al Nahyan other than Bani Fatima

Khalid's closest cousins ​​are Bani Fatima, and are they who will be his assistants in his tenure as crown prince and later as president.

When it comes to his trusted team, perhaps the eldest will be Ahmed bin Tahnoun (b. 1971) and the youngest Zayed bin Mohamed (b. 1995); the Al Nahyan born in this interval will be candidates for ministerial positions and trusted advisors, in this group we have three sons and three sons-in-law from Hamdan, it is a large group and being part of it is very important to grow politically.

So Essentially Bani MBZ will be subset of Bani Fatima. So anyone who wants to get into this circle has to do this thru strategic marriages. Rest will fade away eventually ?

Back
Top Bottom