General News for the Cambridge Family Part 3: March 2017-September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sad that this lovely Christmas card can be regarded as a tasteless choice. I see a lovely family photo.

Its a really lovely family photo of the Cambridges

I feel it's rather tasteless to release a card taken on a foreign holiday when so many British families missed out on theirs because of Covid, mine included.

didn't they call out it's staycation time this year, too?
I don't think it was such a wise choice to have this card. One taken in the UK would have been nicer and had shown more empathy.
Just my opinion of course.

I see no reason for them to not share a picture of them abroad, as long as they travelled when it was within the rules to do so. It appears they travelled in the October half term, a time that I know many Britons also travelled abroad.

We plan to travel during February half term and again at Easter, should we not share images of our trips just because others aren’t able to go away at this time? What a ridiculous notion.

It is a beautiful picture of a wonderful family. The children are all growing so quickly!

It's a lovely photo of the Cambridges to celebrate Christmas. I see no problems with the picture, given that others have been travelling for a getaway (abroad or in the UK) this year.

George, Charlotte and Louis have grown up so quick ?

Last edited:
Good on them for having a private holiday. Lots of people were going abroad this year.
I remember the paps chasing William and Harry around the ski slopes, or long lens on the beach. I am pleased that they managed to give their children private time. Once again William manages to find the balance between privacy and duty,

I feel it's rather tasteless to release a card taken on a foreign holiday when so many British families missed out on theirs because of Covid, mine included.
While I'm sorry that you missed out on your holiday... Why it's tasteless? The Cambridges, along with what feels like half of the UK, traveled abroad for holidays this year. It was allowed, with some extra measures like testing, but people traveled pretty much freely this year. Including me. Twice! :eek:

I love the photo, love to see the children all grown up (when did that happen?!) and also love that they traveled to Jordan, because of the connection with Catherine.

Although my dream would be a very wintery-christmas-y card, this one is amazing. They all look happy and like a really solid family unit.

This is an absolutely stunning photo, a beautiful choice for their Christmas card, and a really lovely bit of sharing about an otherwise private trip. I see absolutely nothing wrong with this at all assuming that they followed the guidelines for travel, testing, etc. I really love how they manage to keep their privacy intact on these sorts of trips while still allowing us a bit of a glimpse at how the children have grown and given Catherine's history in Jordan it's a really terrific way to connect the children, and William, with that bit of her past now that they're old enough to enjoy it and begin to explore a bit.

While I'm sorry that you missed out on your holiday... Why it's tasteless? The Cambridges, along with what feels like half of the UK, traveled abroad for holidays this year. It was allowed, with some extra measures like testing, but people traveled pretty much freely this year. Including me. Twice! :eek:

I love the photo, love to see the children all grown up (when did that happen?!) and also love that they traveled to Jordan, because of the connection with Catherine.

Although my dream would be a very wintery-christmas-y card, this one is amazing. They all look happy and like a really solid family unit.

Many working people could afford the holiday but not the extra costs of the testing or quarantine periods unfortunately.

It's a lovely photo of the Cambridges to celebrate Christmas. I see no problems with the picture, given that others have been travelling for a getaway (abroad or in the UK) this year.

George, Charlotte and Louis have grown up so quick ?

Yes it is a lovely photo. I personally don't have an issue with the Cambridges' Christmas card photo that was reportedly taken during their fall term break visit to Jordan. I live in an area that is heavily dependent upon tourism and the impact of COVID upon our region of SoCal was devastating especially to working families. IMO people have the opportunity to safely travel domestically or internationally, then I don't have an issue with it.

I'll be unpopular, but I don't like this photo. It has nothing of Christmas. The background, the clothes, the location ... It's just a pretty family photo, which has nothing to do with the Christmas atmosphere

I'll be unpopular, but I don't like this photo. It has nothing of Christmas. The background, the clothes, the location ... It's just a pretty family photo, which has nothing to do with the Christmas atmosphere

The royals quite often issue a photograph that is not especially Xmas themed.

Well to be honest, the Cambridges have never released a Christmas card photo that had anything to do with Christmas.

Typically their photos were taken outdoors but sometimes it's from the spring or summer or fall. I've never seen a winter or holiday themed photo for their cards.

Here's 2020's card. https://people.com/royals/kate-midd...rince-george-princess-charlotte-prince-louis/

And here's 2019 https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-7805773/The-Cambridges-2019-Christmas-card-REVEALED.html

If they did do a holiday theme photo some would criticize them for being unimaginative, fake, whatever. I think it's a lovely photo.

The Christmas card is splendid. Has Prince Louis' hair gotten darker?

:previous: I agree that his hair is darker now but I don't believe that he was ever as blonde as George.

Perhaps a reason for cards with no holiday theme to it in the group photo is because it isn't geared to be a "Christmas" card but perhaps a "Season's Greetings" type. As public figures, they send these cards out to many people and perhaps some of them don't celebrate Christmas.

That's my thinking anyhow.

Really? You mean nothing of mainly "white Christmas", right? Because when I saw this photo the nativity scene came to mind LOL.

It is a lovely photo of a good-looking, seemingly happy family.

Perhaps a reason for cards with no holiday theme to it in the group photo is because it isn't geared to be a "Christmas" card but perhaps a "Season's Greetings" type. As public figures, they send these cards out to many people and perhaps some of them don't celebrate Christmas.

That's my thinking anyhow.
That actually makes a lot of sense.
Clarence House also never uses something Christmassy for their cards either.

Many working people could afford the holiday but not the extra costs of the testing or quarantine periods unfortunately.
I fully understand the issue, but it doesn't mean it's "tasteless" to go somewhere. Especially since it's not really a tropical paradise, but a country that one of the parents has a personal connection to.
You do realize you're describing every royal christmas card... ever? After all these years we don't even expect getting something wintery or christmasy, also for the reasons mentioned above.

For Christians, a picture taken in Jordan has a strong link to Jesus and Christianity (river Jordan is where Jesus was baptized). For non confessionals it is just a cute family picture to celebrate the New Year, I guess.
It is perfect when you know a vast and diverse audience is going to receive it.

Last edited:
For Christians, a picture taken in Jordan has a strong link to Jesus and Christianity (river Jordan where Jesus was baptized). For non confessionals it is just a cute family picture to celebrate the New Year, I guess.

well put Marchesina.

For Christians, a picture taken in Jordan has a strong link to Jesus and Christianity (river Jordan where Jesus was baptized). For non confessionals it is just a cute family picture to celebrate the New Year, I guess.
Excellent observation Marchesina.

For Christians, a picture taken in Jordan has a strong link to Jesus and Christianity (river Jordan is where Jesus was baptized). For non confessionals it is just a cute family picture to celebrate the New Year, I guess.

I doubt that came into it, they've never released a Christmas card before with any religious meaning attached to it.

I doubt that came into it, they've never released a Christmas card before with any religious meaning attached to it.

No they have not released a religious card in the past, but it doesn't change the fact that they were in the region known as the Holy Land when the photo was taken. I wouldn't be surprised if the parents did explain that to their children as they visited the region this fall.

Last edited:
The Queen has urged Prince William to stop flying in helicopters with his wife and children, as she fears a crash wiping all of them out would spark a constitutional crisis.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/1...illiam-to-stop-flying-helicopter-fears-crash/

If it is true that William and his family are using helicopters, I am very disappointed. I understand that sometimes the royal family has to use private planes and even helicopters for security or governmental purposes, but helicopters generate a lot of carbon emissions. I expect those who urge everyone to make sacrifices to alleviate global warming to be prepared to make sacrifices themselves.

:previous: I understand where you are coming from but I believe it would be unrealistic to forgo the use of helicopters. Train journeys are nice but they don't deliver you and your requisite security to your destination. The same goes for scheduled airlines.

At this point in time, the BRF is operating at a deficit and questions about who is working how many engagements a year is a big deal. People erroneously demand "value" for their money and the Cambridges workload over the last year is far from inspiring.

Anne, Charles and Camilla each did more events than both William and Catherine together and it is being reported internationally that they are sliding back into their previous lifestyle. Strangely, using a helicopter to move more quickly to and from various engagements ostensibly to enjoy family time seems to be the Cambridge raison d'être.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyl...yals/AWIGYS6QXOSWAEJSKEDKFK6UJY/?ref=readmore

I'm reminded again that this is The Sun reporting. I don't think the "constitutional crisis" has anything to do with finances or carbon footprints but implies that should the entire Cambridge family travel together by helicopter and crash and all lives lost, next up as heir to the heir to the throne is Harry.

As Harry hasn't been removed from the line of succession, it would be very possible that eventually we'd have a King Henry VIX and Queen Meghan with The Prince Archie and The Princess Lilibet with Archie being Harry's heir to the throne and possibly Prince of Wales. Not a very palatable scenario for most Britons today. :eek:

It is reported in many media outlets and not just The Sun.

There would be a 'constitutional crisis' given the current very low popularity of Harry and Meghan and that they have stepped back from royal duties and no longer live in the UK.

Removing Harry from the line of succession is very difficult. It would take legislation in the 15 realms and the six Australian states. There would also need to be a reason for his removal and not even treason has been a reason to remove someone from the line of succession. Even those who fought against Britain in WWI, and lost their peerage titles, weren't removed from the line of succession. Even the Kaiser remained in the line of succession to the British throne. If the Kaiser wasn't removed why would Harry be removed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom