General information and questions about Monaco and the Princely Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Glistening Seas

:xmastree2:It's good that the plans and groundwork are at least there and ready so that Monaco can have an extension. :candycane:

The latest is that PA is looking for a modified or new plan which, amongst other things, could address environmental issues which, in the old plan, had not been addressed sufficiently.

I think the delay will hopefully concentrate the minds to come up with a "greener" plan.

I really hope that the land extension will be built. It seems so good idea.

This (..) is about the relationship between the Prince(s) of Monaco and the surrounding villages and towns, some of which have been part of Monaco for a time.

Menton and Roquebrune - Cap Martin were part of Monaco from 1814. In 1847, "la révolution mentonnaise" - the Revolution of Menton - begins with the wish of the people of Menton to become independent of the Monegasque State. A plebiscite in 1848 detaches Menton and Roquebrune from Monaco and places it under the rule of Turin and Piemont.

CG06 - 1814-1870 : La principauté de Monaco

The Prince of Monaco also has good relationships with a range of other communities around the Principality, e.g. Beausoleil, La Turbie, Ventimiglia (Vintimille in French) and others.

The Diocese of Monaco includes several villages around Monaco, e.g. Beausoleil, Cap d'Ail, La Turbie, Peille.
http://www.eglise-catholique.mc/culte/horaires.htm

On January 1st, in response to the New Year 2010 message of Prince Albert, a Nice-Matin website user named "Citronnet" from Menton addresses himself to the Prince, offering his good wishes in "Mentounasc" (the Menton dialect):

"Bouana et santa anaia per 2010"

He also reminds the Prince of the 150th anniversary this year of the secession of Menton to France, but stresses that the Mentonnais have not forgotten the historical and friendly links which unite the monegasque and mentonnais people which they would want to strenghten with fraternal exchanges.

Les voeux du prince Albert II aux Monégasques pour 2010 - Monaco - Monaco - Côte d'Azur - l'actualité en direct avec Nice-Matin - nicematin.com

Last edited by a moderator:
:newyear: Are there a few olive and lemon groves in Monaco & surrounding communities today?:heart1:

There is an annual Lemon Festival (Fete aux Citrons) at Menton. I've seen photos here at TRF, of PA making an official visit to it.

Grace & Her Daughters

Can anybody explain what Grace's relationship with her daughters was like? I hear such contrasting accounts all the time. There are some saying she doted upon Stephanie because she was the "miracle" child and others who say that she hated Steph's promiscuous and partying ways. Particularly with Caroline though. It's been said that Caroline and her mother had a very tenuous, tension-filled relationship because Caro thought she spoiled Steph and because Grace was conversely very strict on her oldest daughters. Basically they weren't supposed to have gotten along at all but apparently, the main rift in Caro & Steph's relationship is because Caroline blames her sister for their mother's death. Does anybody have any insight on this? I hope this hasn't been asked before, I don't want to be redundant.

I believe things are misinterpreted here. Grace loved both her daughters dearly. She watched over them, took care of them, tried to teach them as many things and skills as possible. She might have been a little more strict with Caroline than with Steph but that's also due to the fact that Stephanie is eight years younger than Caro so she was brought up in a different time ...sort of. I think Grace put a lot of trust in her girls and that she was ( and still is ) proud of them.
The main misunderstanding and false interpretation is that there is a rift in the sisters relationship. There isn't really .. and Caro certainly doesn't blame her little sister for anything. It would be horrible if she did ... but I believe and know she doesn't. She loves Steph.

Glistening Seas

:rose:oh goodness Whomever said that must have definitely been embellishing more than just a bit! hee! Pss. Caroline comes accross as far too level-headed of an individual to blame Stephanie for the mothers death considering the injuries Stephanie endured as well. Let's face it all parents are stricker with the older children than with the youngest even though parents don't play favorites it's simply how it is--and quite normally so!! however, once people grow up they realize and outgrow attitudes about it imho. :heartflower:

How sad.... a charming man by all accounts, he was the driving force behind Monaco leaving the OECD black list.

I liked seeing him on National Day in his uniform.....

Monaco's Pavilion at the 2010 Expo Shanghai China

A thread to celebrate Monaco's contribution to the 2010 EXPO Shanghai - from May 1st to October 31, 2010.

Seventy million visitors are expected.....

The theme of the Expo: "Better City, Better Life".

The theme of the Monégasque Pavilion:
"Monaco - un Rocher pour l'éternité" - "Monaco, a Rock for eternity"

Here's a foretaste - a video:
Découverte du pavillon de Monaco à Shanghai | Portail info Monaco

Expo Website:
Shows feature monks, kung fu and city folk_lastest news_Shanghai World Expo

A new problem for PA and the Principality:

This morning's Le Figaro reports between six and ten metre high waves along the Côte d'Azur, including Nice and Cannes. The airport was also affected.

The mayors of Nice and Cannes have proclaimed a "natural catastrophe", and a politician said there had not been such waves since 1959.

There have been casualties, mainly broken bones.

Along the coast, many vessels have been damaged.

At the same time, the south-west of France is under a blanket of snow...

Le Figaro - France : Des vagues de six mètres de haut sur le littoral azuréen

I don't know quite where to post this, but....

I am cataloging my great-uncle's papers for an exhibit and book. He and his traveling troupe performed for Princess Antoinette and her father the sovereign Prince Louis II in February 1936 at a command performance that was a gala; I have the program and the clippings of the Prince and his sister leaving the event.

Is there such a thing as a historian to the Royal House? If yes, then do you suppose I could write to them for more details as to the circumstances under which the specific performers were selected?

Thanks!

are there any original monagasques living in monaco..any children living there?

are there any original monagasques living in monaco..any children living there?

Do you mean Royals living in Monaco?
I think Albert does. Caroline has reportedly moved back to Monaco after the rumours with Ernst. Alexandra goes to school in Monaco, and presumably will be with her mother now. :)

no i wasnt meaning that..are there any families living there rather than typical rich wife and husband

The Monaco Charity Film Festival ends Tuesday 11th.

All showings are/were free of charge, and two charities/projects benefit from this annual event.

I read there are about 1,200 of the "old" Monegasques; as they are called.(Not old but the original families that have lived there for several hundred years. I think they mostly live in Monacoville; where the palace is. The old language was dying out so they started teaching it in the local schools in the 1970s. I don't know if they actually speak it on a regular basis. French is the official language. Hardly anything is written about them, but I wonder what they are like. Are they all millioniares now? What do they think of all of the changes to their little country since World War 2? They were on the verge of bankruptcy when Prince Rainier took over. People forget that the whole "glamour" plan was devised to help Monaco survive as a country. They don't have any natural resources and are less than 2 square miles. They just have the sun, the sea and the royal family. I think it would make a very interesting article for someone to right about.

Hhmmmm.... I think it's been written about too often, if anything...

The Monégasques are probably fed up with being photographed and written about.
I'm sure they value their privacy.

Maybe it's different in Europe. In the US, we will see media about the glamorous Monte Carlo but nothing about the original Monagasques. It's like they don't exist. It's just about the millionares. We don't even get much info about the royal family (except if there's a scandal or a death)

May I suggest that it's up to the individual reader or surfer to choose what news of Monaco he/she wants to read.

There is plenty on the Monaco government website - mainly about "normal" life, e.g. schools, housing, transport etc.

I just read this week's Le Petit Journal, and there is a short article on how Guy Lacombe (ASM trainer) felt after the club lost against Paris, and how intimidating it must have been for players and fans to be hugely outnumbered in the Stade de France.

On the Nice Matin site, there are news items about trade unions, the weather, the proliferation of jellyfish, strong waves ruining the beach, and much more :)

The locals have exactly the same kinds of concern as we would.

What do you think?

Yes, I agree with you there. I have been looking at some of the local internet sites and find it very interesting. The Christmas carnival video. The fact that all the local children under 12 get Christmas presents from the royal family each year. The summer picnic. The Monegasques appear to be like a clan. I like that about them.

Yes, you've hit the nail on the head - they are a clan, rather like we have up here in Scotland :)
The head of the clan is responsible for the clan members.

The present giving is a good example of how the clan chief can forge a link between him/her and the clan members who have a physical bond to the chief.

In Monaco, present giving doesn't just happen to children or at Christmas, but on other occasions also.

A long time ago someone from Nice told me that Monaco used to give each car going through Monaco a large chocolate egg on Easter. Do you know if they still do that? That would be alot of Easter eggs nowdays.

I've not heard about that, but maybe they've stopped it for logistical reasons.... in the warm Côte d'Azur sunshine, the chocolate egg might melt :)) ....

It certainly sounds very extravagant. "Hey, come to Monaco, you get a free giant easter egg!" Sounds very... well Monaco really. :lol:

A long time ago someone from Nice told me that Monaco used to give each car going through Monaco a large chocolate egg on Easter. Do you know if they still do that? That would be alot of Easter eggs nowdays.
I have never heard of this tradition. It sounds wonderfully extravagant. The only thing I could come up with when I had a look on the web was details of culinary traditions in Monaco see link An interesting article though.

This was probably in the 1950s or 60s, but she said her family would drive from Nice to Italy and back so that they could get 2 free chocolate eggs on Easter Sunday lol.

Enjoyed the link Elly C.

A busy week (or two) ahead for the Principality:

Next Thursday (3rd June) is the Feast of Corpus Christi. It is celebrated in many Catholic countries, and Monaco is no exception: at 6.30 pm, there's a special Corpus Christi Mass as well as a Procession.

Next, on June 5th and 6th, it's the 28th Monte Carlo International Swimming Meeting, organised by the Fédération Monégasque de Natation.
(Will we see CW there?)

And from the 6th to the 10th, it's the 50th Monte-Carlo Television Festival at the Grimaldi Forum.

Back
Top Bottom