Gender, names, and godparent guessing for Harry and Meghan's first child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guess the sex of Harry and Meghan's first baby!

• Boy

Votes: 55 29.1%
  • Girl

Votes: 105 55.6%
  • Twins - Boy/Boy

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Twins - Boy/Girl

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • Twins - Girl/Girl

Votes: 7 3.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
For a son use Christian as a middle name. This would represent the Danish ancestry.

For a daughter use Andrea. Andrea is the feminine form of Andrew. This would be in honor of Prince Andrew, the father of Prince Philip.

Lady Mary Frances Ebony Rose for Notre Dame Cathedral.
or Quasimodo Francis Blaise Phoenix
Reflecting the news of the week of birth..sad as it is.

And as we approach Easter:
Christopher Uri Pascal Calvary
Bethany Pascaline Grace Clemency
Angela Coco Bunny Sundae

Royals have such long names. One could write a book with each moniker.

Last edited:
Still hoping for Alice if the baby is a girl. Middle names.....would be nice to include Spencer in the mix whether boy or girl.

My parlay-style bet for a set of twins, boy and girl: Michael and Phillipa.

No reasons for these guesses---I just like the names and think baby name speculation is great fun.

For a boy, Charles Philip Henry
For a girl, Alexandra Elizabeth Meghan

Meghan will want to make sure she honors Charles so she stays in his good graces for the future. Maybe Elizabeth, too.

For a son use Christian as a middle name. This would represent the Danish ancestry.

For a daughter use Andrea. Andrea is the feminine form of Andrew. This would be in honor of Prince Andrew, the father of Prince Philip.

Danish ancestry?

Philip is a great-grandson of King Christian IX of Denmark. Queen Elizabeth is a great-great-granddaughter, through her great-grandmother, Queen Alexandra, daughter of Christian IX.

Prince Andrew's full name is Andrew Albert Christian Edward.

For a boy, Charles Philip Henry
For a girl, Alexandra Elizabeth Meghan

Meghan will want to make sure she honors Charles so she stays in his good graces for the future. Maybe Elizabeth, too.

Since they don't use names that are in use already, its unlikely that it would be either.. There is Charles and an Alexandra. However a girl will likely have Eliz as a second name.

On the Spencer side there is a Charlotte Diana who is not that much older than Princess Charlotte of Cambridge. I believe if they really like a name, they'll use it regardless if the name is already in use or not. In fact, both girls have Diana for a middle name.

In the Cambridge family, Louis is part of both boy's names. ?

On the Spencer side there is a Charlotte Diana who is not that much older than Princess Charlotte of Cambridge. I believe if they really like a name, they'll use it regardless if the name is already in use or not.

In the Cambridge family, Louis is part of both boy's names. ?

No, I don't think they would use a first name of another senior royal.. when William was born, I believe they chose that name because there was no other Prince William at the time. Spencer names don't matter.
so unlikely that H and Meghan would call a boy George or Charles or Philip...

Still hoping for a David or Phillip.....Alice or Mary!

Fingers crossed for Frances (or Francis if a boy) to show up as a middle name!

LaRae

Still hoping for a David or Phillip.....Alice or Mary!

Fingers crossed for Frances (or Francis if a boy) to show up as a middle name!

LaRae

Francis could also be used as the first name for a son.
Queen Victoria's husband, the Prince Consort actually had Francis as his very first name.

Since they don't use names that are in use already, its unlikely that it would be either.. There is Charles and an Alexandra. However a girl will likely have Eliz as a second name.

There is already a George in the family as well but that didn't stop the Cambridges. There is already a Louise, but they used Louis which is darn close. I don't think having more then one person with the same name is any concern with this family. No one is going to mistake baby Alexandra with the elderly Princess Alexandra. Or Charles and his grandson.

Francis could also be used as the first name for a son.
Queen Victoria's husband, the Prince Consort actually had Francis as his very first name.

Francis is too old fashioned IMO, especially for a boy, to be seen as a first name.

As was pretty traditional especially in German houses, Prince Albert was named for his godfathers. Francis was in honor of Emperor Francis II of Austria who was one of his godparents. Like Victoria had Alexandrina in honor of her godfather Emperor Alexander. Frances was a much more common name in those days as well.

Many members of the BRF have the same first name ..
Elizabeth II and her mother, Elizabeth.

Living now there are more than three Edwards, three Alexandra/Alexanders, three Charles/Charlottes, two James, three Louises/Louis, two Henrys, two Davids and two Georges who are descendants of George V.

Last edited:

Living now there are more than three Edwards, three Alexandra/Alexanders, three Charles/Charlottes, two James, three Louises/Louis, two Henrys, two Davids and two Georges who are descendants of George V.

The difference being main line vs branches of the family.

I agree its not a stumbling block, I don't see people getting confused. But the ones you suggest are a different matter. Very few people outside of royal fans know the Duke of Kent is Prince Edward. Much less the far more removed Lascelles.

The only issue I have is with same generation close relatives. I don't see a Prince Charles since Charles already has a granddaughter Charlotte.

The only issue I have is with same generation close relatives. I don't see a Prince Charles since Charles already has a granddaughter Charlotte.
I don’t think Charlotte rules out Charles. Just like I don’t think they’ll name the baby Charles just stay in Charles’ good graces. While I do think they’ll avoid the exact first name of the Cambridge children, most is fair game. It’s up to the parents. I would argue that while George’s first name is a bit limited to a few, there weren’t much limitations for normal names for any other kids their generation. It’s much more for the family. And really between Charles and Camilla, they have two grandkids with the first name of Louis. So confusion among family must not be a big deal.

Yes I know, but he's more German than anything else.

Philip is actually quoted as saying: "If anything, I've thought of myself as Scandinavian. Particularly Danish." But German or Danish, I doubt it'll have any influence on the baby's name.

There is a difference between the kids of your step-sibling (one you didn't grow up with as well) and the child of your full brother.

Yes technically Charlotte and Charles are different names, but I don't see the brothers going that close together. I'd be shocked.

I highly doubt if they use the name Charles it would be to 'stay in his good graces'. It could just be because, I don't know, he is the grandfather and they want to honor him. I hate people seem to think that the boys hate their dad over their mother, and are only close to him for show. The whole suggestion they would only use the name to appease him, is part of that.

Even George there were plenty of other names to choose from. Ones either in use or not from among rulers of Great Britain. They weren't limited to Hanoverian. That was their choice.

Philip is actually quoted as saying: "If anything, I've thought of myself as Scandinavian. Particularly Danish." But German or Danish, I doubt it'll have any influence on the baby's name.

It was in reference to his childhood. He never really felt Greek. He left as a baby and never learned to speak it like his sisters did. He spoke some German due to his governesses, but they were raised in English.

Alice was a German princess, but born in the UK and spent much of her childhood there. Andrew was a Greek Prince by birth, but Danish and Russian by his parents. Philip was a 'Greek' prince who spent his life in France for a few years and then the UK but for a short time in a German school. His mismatch of different cultures I don't see anyone drawing from.

Last edited:
It’ll be interesting to see if they use a traditional royal name or a name that’s less traditional or less popular in the UK or more “American”, since they seem to be bucking tradition in many ways. Something like Willow, or Harlow, or Ivy (although isn’t Ivy Jessica Mulroney’s daughter’s name? Probably wouldn’t go with that).

Or I could even see them doing something like naming a little girl Charlie. Not short for Charlotte or anything else- just Charlie. Maybe that’s too close with a grandpa Charles and cousin Charles, but I don’t see them letting that hold them back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even George there were plenty of other names to choose from. Ones either in use or not from among rulers of Great Britain. They weren't limited to Hanoverian. That was their choice.

George was probably chosen to honor the Queen's father and grandfather who were Windsors not Hanoverians, although the name was popularized by the Hanoverian dynasty.
It was in reference to his childhood. He never really felt Greek. He left as a baby and never learned to speak it like his sisters did. He spoke some German due to his governesses, but they were raised in English.
That's true but it's odd he considered himself Danish considering he never lived in Denmark. In addition to not feeling Greek I suppose he never felt truly English or German (bounced around as he was) and fell back on his family's origins - a Danish dynasty brought into and then exiled from Greece. No matter how shaky the Greek throne was, he was still a Prince of Denmark.

It’ll be interesting to see if they use a traditional royal name or a name that’s less traditional or less popular in the UK or more “American”, since they seem to be bucking tradition in many ways. Something like Willow, or Harlow, or Ivy (although isn’t Ivy Jessica Mulroney’s daughter’s name? Probably wouldn’t go with that).

Jessica Mulroney's daughter is Isabel Veronica - her initial I.V. - hence they nicknamed her Ivy.

They don't usually use a name for a prince if it is already used by another prince. 50 years or 100 years ago, it was common enough to do that. But nowadays, even with the limited number of male names, they have managed to avoid having 2 Prince Georges. Edward D of Kent is a Prince Edward but he's not known as Prince Edward.. he's know as the D of Kent.

Not so. For instance, the Earl of Snowden's son is a Charles.

Not so. For instance, the Earl of Snowden's son is a Charles.

I meant people with the title of Prince. Harldy anyone knows Lord Snowdon or his son's name... but most people know Charles' name even if they are not into the RF. So they are not likely to name another child who may have the rank of Prince, with the same name as P Charles.

Awe I had it right up there with Princess Berengaria or Boedicia :whistling:

I would swoon if they used Berengaria as I have an absurd love for this name. :wub: :flowers:

Lady Berengaria Elizabeth Diana Doria Mountbatten-Windsor
Princess Berengaria of Sussex

Bet they won't use a British name , American name..
Will see

So.... I go hunting to find a list of "American" names for little girls. Turns out that *most* of the names listed have been suggested here for a female Baby Sussex. :lol:

https://www.sheknows.com/parenting/articles/841855/all-american-girl-names-the-new-classics/

Same thing applies to names for boys.

https://www.sheknows.com/parenting/articles/842289/all-american-boy-names/

As the USA is really a melting pot where most people have a cultural connection outside of the US, unless the names are Native American, there's no purely "American" names. Looking at a list of Native American names for babies, there's some really beautiful names listed. :D

https://www.thebump.com/b/native-american-baby-names

Bet they won't use a British name , American name..
Will see

What is an American name :ermm:

The top baby name list in both countries is nearly identical. Other then native American names, American names stemmed from some where else. Other then bizarre spellings of traditional names.

Are you suggesting a native name? Or Perhaps that Meghan will go 'too Hollywood' and choose a celeb name like Apple blossom :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom