Gender, names, and godparent guessing for Harry and Meghan's first child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guess the sex of Harry and Meghan's first baby!

• Boy

Votes: 55 29.1%
  • Girl

Votes: 105 55.6%
  • Twins - Boy/Boy

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Twins - Boy/Girl

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • Twins - Girl/Girl

Votes: 7 3.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they will look to Meghans' side for names as well. I don't know if Doria has middle names, or maybe her mothers' names. I think Meghan mentioned her maternal Grandmother on the Tig, talking about growing up and childhood memories of eating a favourite food, but I can't remember exactly what she said now. Much as I like the idea of honoring family names though I think it can get a bit much, for the child as well as the family. My own family has three males with same name so we've end up with the last one just getting 'Junior' and 'Little X' which kind of negates the whole thing really.

Both Meghan and Harry seem like they respect tradition but also know their own minds. I hope they come up with a 'new' royal name like Anne did with Zara and Zara in turn has done with Mia. Afterall, if a royal names their child X, then that becomes a royal name, wheather it's a traditional one or not.

I'm hoping for something new with a middle name from Meghans maternal side.

Meg's mom's middle name is 'Loyce'. Her grandmother's name is Jeanette (sp).

What about Cecile (or Cecilia) as a first name? It would honour prince Philip's sister who died in the plane crash; and would be uncommon but still a family name that is not completely unusual in royal circles. Or would her Nazi-ties prevent any recognition?

Why would they want to remember a great Aunt who died almost 90 years ago and yeah, she was a Nazi? Not going to happen ever. I do think it’s odd that between his daughter, his granddaughters and great grand daughters they never chose Alice as a first name. If Phillips philandering daddy got a namesake you would think his extraordinary mother would!

I predict a classic name or that’s popular with the British upper crust now but not a usual royal name...

Emily Diana
Violet Grace
Daphne Jane

Oliver Henry
Christopher Charles
Leo William

What about Cecile (or Cecilia) as a first name? It would honour prince Philip's sister who died in the plane crash; and would be uncommon but still a family name that is not completely unusual in royal circles. Or would her Nazi-ties prevent any recognition?

This is your answer.

Cecile, and her Nazi ties, I would say would be out. Not that I would think they would actively honor one of Philip's sisters.

But the variation Cecilia is another matter. Like Sophie (Philip's sister Sophie was also married to a Nazi) there are other family connections for the name.

Cecilia Cavendish-Bentnick was the queen's maternal grandmother.

William the conqueror and Edward IV both had daughters named Cecilia.

Its hard to find many names in the royal tree without some questionable history. Richard, John, Edward/David and so on. But choosing such a name would be despite the history of the name. Not honoring the questionable person. Not sure anyone in the royal family will ever say 'I am going to name my child John to honor the king who led to the Magna carta'.

I don't think we will see anything with no royal ties. Unlike Anne, Harry's kids are not private citizens. They will have titles and a public life.

Anne is after Princess Anne, The Princess Royal.

Seeing that Anne said something like "has nothing to do with me" when one of P.William's children was born (or something to that effect..) i think she would be the first to discourage H&M naming a child after her.
I can just see her saying "oh don't be ridiculous" ?

Fortunately the baby will be here soon and we can stop the name guessing :flowers:

Nelson could be cool, I agree.
Nelson Charles David Gerald

I also notice Jane as a suggestion.
Jane is smart, sweet and very under used today.
Jane Doria Sarah Elizabeth

Anne (Anna or Annaleez!) is also sweet, Lee-z.

What about Carla? It's a cute, strong 1970s name.
Do you think they'd use a 1960s name like Deborah?

Last edited:
Nelson could be cool, I agree.
Nelson Charles David Gerald

I also notice Jane as a suggestion.
Jane is smart, sweet and very under used today.
Jane Doria Sarah Elizabeth

Anne (Anna or Annaleez!) is also sweet, Lee-z.

What about Carla? It's a cute, strong 1970s name.
Do you think they'd use a 1960s name like Deborah?

Deborah is too old fashioned, so is Carla really.

If they go with a non-royal name (with no family connection) I would expect something found in the most popular name lists. Names found among the upper crust now. But even then, I am still expecting royal/family.

I've just sourced the top 100 Poshest names in Britain via a website, Nameberry.

An example - Henrietta, Lettice, Jamima, Romilly, Loveday, Faerie, Araminta, Cecily, Lucinda, Kitty, Arabella, Miranda ...
Rupert, Willoughby, Hector, Archibald, Bertram, Humphrey, Inigo, Fergus, Ralph, Mungo, Falcon ...

Perhaps Falcon for Robert Falcon Scott's exhibitions to the South Pole.
Perhaps Miranda for the mysterious girl in Picnic at Hanging Rock, Australia.

Falcon Charles Henry David
Mungo Philip Falcon George
Ralph Humphrey Rupert Archibald
Miranda Faerie Henrietta Frances
Arabella Kitty Louise Diana
Rose Loveday Cecily Doria

The child is possibly born and already named.

Meg's mom's middle name is 'Loyce'. Her grandmother's name is Jeanette (sp).

Thank you JuliannaVictoria. I do really like Loyce, either first or middle name. I like unusual names and I've not heard that one before.

I hope they either go all original i.e. not named after anyone OR use something from Megans side because it's not all about Harry and the royal side. There's two sets of dna involved! Plus, I haven't seen anything anywhere that confirms their child will be titled. (I believe it will be) There's been no confirmation or even talk of that from official sources that I've seen. From what I understand that's up to the parents to decide. Anne declined for her children. A smart move on her part too I think. Her children have the wealth and privilige but more freedom and less 'fish bowl' than titled royals.

Thank you JuliannaVictoria. I do really like Loyce, either first or middle name. I like unusual names and I've not heard that one before.

I hope they either go all original i.e. not named after anyone OR use something from Megans side because it's not all about Harry and the royal side. There's two sets of dna involved! Plus, I haven't seen anything anywhere that confirms their child will be titled. (I believe it will be) There's been no confirmation or even talk of that from official sources that I've seen. From what I understand that's up to the parents to decide. Anne declined for her children. A smart move on her part too I think. Her children have the wealth and privilige but more freedom and less 'fish bowl' than titled royals.

There needs no confirmation. The baby is the son or daughter of a Duke. They will be Lady/Lord X, a son Earl of Dumbarton. And when their grandfather is king, they will be HRH Prince/Princess of GB. The only reason an announcement would be needed is if they were going to be denied the Prince/ss title when Charles is king, which would take LPs.

Anne didn't decline titles for her children. Her children would never had titles. It was her husband who declined the title. The children take their titles from their parents. Mark had no peerage, so his children had none.

Anne had three siblings and there was a large royal family only growing. Harry on the other hand is only one of 2 kids of the future king.

Anne did not decline a title for her children. They were never going to be Prince/Princess and because Mark declined the Earldom offered, Peter and Zara are not Lord/Lady.

Harry's children will be Lord/Lady immediately upon their birth-a girl will be Lady Name Mountbatten-Windsor, a first boy will be known as Earl of Dumbarton, additional boys will be Lord Name Mountbatten-Windsor.

As things stand now, unless something is changed, immediately upon Charles becoming King, Harry's children will become Prince/Princess as they will be male line grandchildren of the monarch.

I just noticed that The Queen is also named Mary.

Mary is a huge possibility. Very lovely, SLV.
It is also made up of letters from Meghan and Harry.

Mary has always been one of my favourites; and it's not widely used on younger generations anymore here (or at least in my part of England) so it would be really refreshing if Baby Sussex was given Mary as a first name should she be a girl. Lady Mary Mountbatten-Windsor does have a lovely ring to it ?
After the recent discussions I'd now like to see: Mary Elizabeth Alice or Mary Alice Doria - and as an Alice myself I wouldn't mind it at all if I shared my name with the newest royal! :D
For a boy I'd love to see Edmund Philip Arthur or Edmund Leopold Charles.

I just noticed that The Queen is also named Mary.

SLV, That is why, in a previous post I suggested Mary. Mary not only honors Queen Elizabeth II but also her grandmother Queen Mary.

Surely both Harry and Meghan are intelligent enough to know it would be a millstone round her neck and an even greater reason for media intrusion into the poor child's life.

SLV, That is why, in a previous post I suggested Mary. Mary not only honors Queen Elizabeth II but also her grandmother Queen Mary.
Oh, I know that others suggested it. I had just not realised before that the Queen had this name too.

When you look at her name, the Queen was named after her mother, her grandmother and her great grandmother. ?

But isn't it great that those rules don't apply to Baby Sussex. Just imagine if it were the Danish heir . . . would they have called her Christianne or (heaven forfend) Frederika?

Oh, even worse . . . If they were Swedish we'd have to wait three months or more! ?

But isn't it great that those rules don't apply to Baby Sussex. Just imagine if it were the Danish heir . . . would they have called her Christianne or (heaven forfend) Frederika?

Oh, even worse . . . If they were Swedish we'd have to wait three months or more! ?

I think you're thinking of the Danes, who wait until the christening to announce the name. The Swedes announce the name a few days after birth.

Still hoping for Alice, Mary or Maude to be in the names if a girl.

Still hoping for David, Phillip or Alexander to be in the names if a boy.

LaRae

Prince Philip's mother Princess Alice of Battenberg - Alice was her second name -her full names were Victoria Alice Elizabeth Julia Marie.

Prince Philip's mother Princess Alice of Battenberg - Alice was her second name -her full names were Victoria Alice Elizabeth Julia Marie.

And Queen Mary was Victoria Mary. Queen Victoria was Alexandrina Victoria. It was quite common for them to go by a secondary name. Edward VIII was usually called David.

No one would question if they named a child Mary, that it would be an honor to Queen Mary. Same with Alice.

Would be neat to see a Mary used and then May as a nickname.

Also would be neat to see Frances/Francis used.

LaRae

As a first name Mary has a better chance. They are both quite old fashioned. But Mary at least they could pull a Harry and call her May or Molly or such.

I could see using Frances instead of Diana as a middle name though.

I am hoping we don't see a Diana repeat...Frances/Francis would be a nice way to nod to Diana.

LaRae

As the Earl of Snowdon called his dau Margarita after his mother Princess Margaret, perhaps a girl child could be Alicia, after Philip's mr P Alice; just a thought...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom