Duchess of Sussex, Current Events 1: September 2018 - February 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What a lovely day for all involved! The food looks amazing! I hope the cookbook is available stateside!

I think it's great...the 'boys' have made it very clear they want their wives to have the full support of their families when they become members of the BRF. Folks who have an issue with seeing family members at some of these events will have to adjust...this is how it's going to be going forward. The Monarchy is changing.

LaRae

I don't know if this is how it's going o be going forward. But this is a special and relaxed occasion. This isn't any different than Doria attending IG closing ceremony. And back then, she wasn't a mother of the Duchess, but mother of the girlfriend of the Prince.

I think it's great...the 'boys' have made it very clear they want their wives to have the full support of their families when they become members of the BRF. Folks who have an issue with seeing family members at some of these events will have to adjust...this is how it's going to be going forward. The Monarchy is changing.

LaRae

Except it’s not the boys. It’s Harry. Family support is great but attending public engagements is completely different. Doria is even mentioned on KP social media.

The monarchy is changing, but unfortunately not for the better.

Just saw this on Twitter.
If this can happen with Carole and Kate at Ascot, than this can happen with Meghan and Doria at her first project launch party.

Fantastic occasion and fantastic for the monarchy!

It seems to be a strong institution that can grow and evolve!!!

Ascot is not a public engagement for Kate. People are intentionally blurring the lines to justify Doria being here today.

Seems like there isn't the outrage from press as some predicted. It is what it is.

Dickie Arbiter

@RoyalDickie
9m9 minutes ago
More Dickie Arbiter Retweeted Christopher Wilson
Good thinking from @TheWilsonDickie Arbiter added,
Christopher Wilson

@TheWislon
I think quite soon the nation will be ready to welcome Doria into the royal fold. Things are moving fast, and well - Doria would be a considerable bonus in the wider Windsor message.

If/when Doria gets herself a signet ring and demands a Coat of Arms, I will start to become concerned. :cool:

But up until now she has been one of the most discreet and unassuming in-laws in recent history.

If Harry and his family like it, I love it.

Last edited:
I'm delighted Doria was there. KP including her in the tweet announcing the event is probably a step too far. They will learn.

i think she was allowed in the event because of meghan difficult situation with her father and sibling ,

Kate is seen at Wimbledon with her family while she is attending as part as an engagement.

This was different and I can understand why people reacted positively and negatively to it but if doing this now sets a precedent the in the future this allows for Carole to show up at an engagement to support her daughter then isn't that a good thing?

Regardless of what the media try to say at that time when it does happen people can point to this event to say it's ok if Carole is there.

I see absolutely no problem with Carole or Doria being included in official engagements. If the family members can 'benefit' from free Wimbledon, Ascot or Invuctus Games attendances, why couldn't they be there supporting official engagements too?

Except it’s not the boys. It’s Harry. Family support is great but attending public engagements is completely different. Doria is even mentioned on KP social media.

The monarchy is changing, but unfortunately not for the better.

Yes it is both boys. You have a short memory.

The Monarchy must make changes if it is to remain intact.

LaRae

What an absurd thing to criticize. As if having a warm relationship with one’s mother is a thing to take offense about... Did it cost taxpayers anything to have Ms. Ragland there? Did she look or act inappropriately? Did she attempt to hog the spotlight?

I don't have issue with her at THIS engagement because it was a laid back community support event. It celebrated family, so she brought hers. It worked.

Kate is seen at Wimbledon with her family while she is attending as part as an engagement.

This was different and I can understand why people reacted positively and negatively to it but if doing this now sets a precedent the in the future this allows for Carole to show up at an engagement to support her daughter then isn't that a good thing?

Regardless of what the media try to say at that time when it does happen people can point to this event to say it's ok if Carole is there.

But has there been any negative reaction? I haven't seen it, if there was.

And I agree with you about setting a precedent, which raises the question of what the limits are for non-royal family members being involved. At what events is it ok, and when would it be inappropriate?

I'm delighted Doria was there. KP including her in the tweet announcing the event is probably a step too far. They will learn.

You know, now that I think about it. I think they are trying to make a point. The press spent the entire summer drudging up all kinds of family problems. It's nice to see that she does actually have family she's close to and who supports her without trying to put whatever personal gains in front of her. They wanted the Palace to address the family situation. It's the best way to address without engaging with the Markles. She has her family, and that's that.

I highly doubt it's going to be a regular thing, but it is subtle things like this that eventually shapes a narrative.

Last edited:
This is an interesting thought. I don't know if others will agree but it is interesting that we have not seen Carole attend an engagement in this way with Kate, although she has been present at public events such as Ascot and the Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant

Via Victoria Murphy Twitter

There won’t be overt criticism today, but over the next few days there will probably be some opinion pieces casting a side at today.

Last edited:
Sophie's dad came to support her when she competed in the great bike ride she did. This was an informal occasion, a great get-together, and probably the ladies of the Hubb Kitchen also brought a family member.

Meghan's mother is visiting the UK, we haven't seen her with Meghan since the wedding, and she turned up to what was an informal gathering. This is one occasion in the four months of her daughter's marriage and it's extremely doubtful that she will do this again.

I thought it was a lovely occasion and everyone looked as if they enjoyed themselves. A marvellous book launch and that cookbook is selling fast. Great!

I do have a question. People have stated that Doria turned up at a public engagement. Where was the public? I didn't see any people peering through KP gates or lining the road to catch a glimpse of this event.

From what I see, it was a private reception held in the grounds of KP by invitation only. The people that attended are members of the local community, representatives from Ebury Press – the publishers of the book – the Al Manaar Muslim Cultural Heritage Centre, where the cooks are based, and the Royal Foundation.

It was Meghan's first solo incentive for the Royal Foundation. As has been mentioned, Sophie took on a 445 mile bicycle marathon for The Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme and was greeted by her father at the finish line. Doria sharing in Meghan's first successful incentive is along the same lines in my book.

So, you know the tweet that KP mentioned Doria in? It's been retweeted by The Royal Family twitter. So I don't think there is an issue about it behind the scenes or this would've been corrected.

From what I see, it was a private reception held in the grounds of KP by invitation only. The people that attended are members of the local community, representatives from Ebury Press – the publishers of the book – the Al Manaar Muslim Cultural Heritage Centre, where the cooks are based, and the Royal Foundation.

It was Meghan's first solo incentive for the Royal Foundation. As has been mentioned, Sophie took on a 445 mile bicycle marathon for The Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme and was greeted by her father at the finish line. Doria sharing in Meghan's first successful incentive is along the same lines in my book.

A very good point. Those two events do sound very comparable.

Yes it is both boys. You have a short memory.

The Monarchy must make changes if it is to remain intact.

LaRae

You are exactly correct. William has done as much to change Royal/Windsor traditions as Harry has.

You know, now that I think about it. I think they are trying to make a point. The press spent the entire summer drudging up all kinds of family problems. It's nice to see that she does actually have family she's close to and who supports her without trying to put whatever personal gains in front of her. They wanted the Palace to address the family situation. It's the best way to address without engaging with the Markles. She has her family, and that's that.

I highly doubt it's going to be a regular thing, but it is subtle things like this that eventually shapes a narrative.

Yes, that's one of the reasons I was happy to see Doria there. It makes a statement that this is H&M's family. Get used to it. Similar to Doria's inclusion at Invictus Toronto closing ceremonies. At the wedding, RRs noted that they hadn't had an opportunity to engage with Doria. Never heard her speak. Didn't have a sense of who she was. Whether that was within the RRs rights to expect is a different debate. They checked that box today. Her physical presence was enough of a statement for me. I didn't need one from KP.

Edit: Saw your note about the retweet from The Royal Family...ok then. The palace isn't about subtlety today. Who am I to say different?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom