Duchess of Sussex, Current Events 1: September 2018 - February 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the distinction of when an appearance by a family member is appropriate is that today was a milestone for Meghan, the event like the project echoed a low key cozy community feel where food is shared between families. So Meghan's family was also there along with others.

For Doria to be at the commonwealth service and be seated with the Royal would be questionable.

Yes, Meghan made a great speech without notes, short, concise, to the point, with no stumbling, mumbling, looking at notes. It was completely natural. Impressive in my book!

I think it’s great that Doria was there today! This project means a lot to Meghan and she wanted to support her. I just can’t believe people are criticizing this. People have to realize times are changing!

At what point would a family member being included seem odd or inappropriate

If a family member is staying as a guest, of course one includes them in what one is doing.. but events where others are the primary focus - someone's Wedding, or Birthday or retirement party [say], would be too much [unless it was acceptable to that event's host/hostess].
Ms Ragland is currently in London, and this was a 'one-off' event, and her daughter's FIRST foray into substantive work, so I have no issue with her attendance.
If she tagged along to a Hospital ward opening, or the launch of a ship, or ANY sort of 'official engagement' that would be too much.

She ISN'T a member of the Royal Family, despite being the relative of someone who is...

Last edited:
When it comes to Meghan (and Harry) it's always "breaking the tradition" or "blurring the line":rolleyes:. I am done with that.

It celebrated family, so she brought hers. It worked.

I agree and I think this is the point. Glad to see Doria come to support her daughter and her first new project :flowers:. And great speech from Meghan.

I don't understand the criticism. As if people are afraid Doria will be going on many other events with her daughter. From the video that I saw it looked to be a very informal event where food is prepared and served reminiscent of family cookouts we all have. Meghan was excited about her first event and perhaps wanted the two people who mean the most to her by her side. I did not get the impression this was a major deal.

“It is unprecedented for family members to attend royal engagements.

That is why the appearance of Doria Ragland alongside the Duchess of Sussex at the launch of her new charity cookbook so surprised royal watchers.

Sitting in the front seat of a Land Rover Discovery with her daughter and son-in-law in the back, she stepped out and greeted the waiting guests with the words: 'Hi, I'm Meg's mom.'

Meghan's decision to bring her mother along to the Kensington Palace event is another sign of her willingness to gently push the boundaries of royal traditions.

Other examples include inviting the charismatic US preacher Michael Curry to speak at St George's Chapel during the royal wedding, introducing a lively contrast to the sedate sermons typical of royal weddings.”

From the Mail Online article posted up thread. I think we’ll see some criticism over the next week about Doria being included in royal engagements.

Meghan is a great public speaker and she is a natural at it. You can become good at public speaking by practice and doing it often, but you can always tell who is the natural and who isn´t and Meghan for sure is a natural.

This entire project has been a smash hit so far, both for her personally and for the BRF. This reflects extremely well upon them all, but like I said mainly on Meghan and by extent also Harry. I do hope this book will do extremely well in sales (I'm certain it will) and will benefit those who need it the most, the women of the Hubb Community Kitchen and the Grenfell Fire victims.

Nice to see Doria also. Why shouldn't a mother be there to support her daughter in her first big project in her career/life? Mine would. Anyone being a sourpuss over this will be in for a joyful ride these coming decades because this monarchy will change. I suggest buckling your seatbelts, lol. My god.

Dickie Arbiter and Christopher Wilson on Twitter seem to suggest that while this might not have been seen as acceptable when Kate joined the family the public reaction will likely be different now years later.

Thiey also suggests that depending on the public reaction (the implication of this will be discussed in royals reporting for a while but public reaction is usually yes or no and right now it seems inclined to yes) we might see more of the family of married in royals allowed to come and support their families at the appropriate events not just Meghans but the families of other women who married in.

It's a change and it's the first time it's been done at this level if it pays off it's good for the other royal women too

Thanks to everyone that has posted videos from the reception. It was very apparent to me that the women of Hubb Kitchen and Meghan know each other enough to be on a very comfortable level as if Meghan was "one of them".

Another thing I noticed in the "Harry's awkward kiss" video kind of coincides with what was discussed much earlier concerning men. It is very obvious looking at the congregation of the women that many of them are Muslim. In that culture, there is a wide separation between the male and the female still in social situations. The woman greeting Meghan, Doria and Harry was very comfortable when it came to the greeting kisses with the women but it was a different ball of wax when it came to Harry and hence the awkwardness.

Poor Harry...quite charming though...even the 'pros' aren't quite sure what to do at times.

LaRae

Yeah it was awkward, I cringed for them.

If a family member is staying as a guest, of course one includes them in what one is doing.. but events where others are the primary focus - someone's Wedding, or Birthday or retirement party [say], would be too much [unless it was acceptable to that event's host/hostess].
Ms Ragland is currently in London, and this was a 'one-off' event, and her daughter's FIRST foray into substantive work, so I have no issue with her attendance.
If she tagged along to a Hospital ward opening, or the launch of a ship, or ANY sort of 'official engagement' that would be too much.

She ISN'T a member of the Royal Family, despite being the relative of someone who is...

I think this is where I come down, too. Although I suppose there might be exceptions.

It was an interesting question to me since there seemed to be a consensus building on this board that the inclusion of in-laws in official events was a Great Advance for the BRF, and I was wondering what the limits of that would be.

Also Mette-Marit's mother was on some of the official events of her daughter... Also abroad...I think it is very nice gesture, why not? It costs nothing for the monarchy, or yes...?

@Gertsroyals
Over the years we've seen a fair number of the british royals bring their children, sibilings, parents, ex-spouse, etc. with them on offical engagement. There is no rule against it, when there is some sort of reason or connection.
10:35 AM · Sep 20, 2018

Last edited:
I think people have to focus on the beautiful fact that both Harry and Doria was there to support Meghan and the book launch. It was a wonderful family event and that’s great.

Doria won’t be attending tons of official engagements with her daughter. Although, she’ll be invited to some special events and family gatherings. Catherine is doing the same with her family.

why not? It costs nothing for the monarchy

Because YOU may know it 'costs nothing for the monarchy', but most people aren't so well informed !
Much time and effort is spent by monarchists in this country, that there is no longer a 'Civil List' and that 'such and such' member of the extended Royal Family ISN'T living at the Taxpayers expense..
The very last thing the Monarchy needs is these facts being blurred by the appearance of NON-royal relatives popping up at engagements, where their presence is unnecessary and WIDE open to malicious misinterpretation..

Last edited:
I think this is where I come down, too. Although I suppose there might be exceptions.

It was an interesting question to me since there seemed to be a consensus building on this board that the inclusion of in-laws in official events was a Great Advance for the BRF, and I was wondering what the limits of that would be.

I understand the concern, and I certainly agree with the parameter Wyewale wrote. Obviously, the major royal family events are off limits, but this is a milestone moment for Meghan, and quite successful one, and it was also a very relaxed event with just her and Harry. So that's definitely not crossing any lines. As for KP and BP twitter, I think it's obvious that they are sending a message by including Doria without engaging the mess that's been going on all summer.

We have to remember too that when it comes to working royals, there are different kinds of "official" engagements. There are those official engagements when they are working for the "Firm" and representing HM, The Queen and there are their own "official" engagements where they are representing their own work at their own charitable incentives.

Don't quote me on this but I believe most of the events that William, Kate, Harry and Meghan have of their own is umbrellaed under the Royal Foundation. This would include the Invictus Games and Meghan's work to produce this cookbook. This is where perhaps a non-royal family member would be included as support such as Sophie's dad was for her event with The Duke of Edinburgh Scheme.

Non-royal family members would *never* be included in events and engagements where the working royals are representing the "Firm" and HM, The Queen.

So, we see, there are *two* different types of "official" engagements that these royals do. Also, by "offical", I mean the "official" as they are listed in the Court Circular. :D

Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
Carol Middleton would have been slaughtered in the press if she attended a public engagement with Catherine.

Then people should be scolding the press, not Carole Middleton.

I understand the concern, and I certainly agree with the parameter Wyewale wrote. Obviously, the major royal family events are off limits, but this is a milestone moment for Meghan, and quite successful one, and it was also a very relaxed event with just her and Harry. So that's definitely not crossing any lines. As for KP and BP twitter, I think it's obvious that they are sending a message by including Doria without engaging the mess that's been going on all summer.

Yes, that made me laugh, because it was such a superb comeback to all the pages and pages of vile nonsense that had been written, and they pulled the plug on that with just a few lines on Twitter.

We have to remember too that when it comes to working royals, there are different kinds of "official" engagements. There are those official engagements when they are working for the "Firm" and representing HM, The Queen and there are their own "official" engagements where they are representing their own work at their own charitable incentives.

Don't quote me on this but I believe most of the events that William, Kate, Harry and Meghan have of their own is umbrellaed under the Royal Foundation. This would include the Invictus Games and Meghan's work to produce this cookbook. This is where perhaps a non-royal family member would be included as support such as Sophie's dad was for her event with The Duke of Edinburgh Scheme.

Non-royal family members would *never* be included in events and engagements where the working royals are representing the "Firm" and HM, The Queen.

So, we see, there are *two* different types of "official" engagements that these royals do. Also, by "offical", I mean the "official" as they are listed in the Court Circular. :D

Hope that makes sense.

Oh, I understand the differences very well. I've been following the BRF for a whole lot of years. I just wasn't sure where other posters stood since there seemed to be so much enthusiasm for family members being included, and it was being hailed as a major advance for the BRF. Just wondered what the parameters were for everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
We can see the slippery slope this has created. It’s subjective. I can guarantee if Carole Middleton rolled up in a government Range Rover at a royal engagement and got out and treated guests with a “hi, I’m kate’s Mom”, this board would be berserk. I remember the days when this board would go berserk just for Kate visiting with her mom.

I don't recall the majority of the folks here going berserk for Kate visiting with her mom.

LaRae

Yes, that made me laugh, because it was such a superb comeback to all the pages and pages of vile nonsense that had been written, and they pulled the plug on that with just a few lines on Twitter.

Yea. The press has been hounding Meghan and KP to address it and baiting them. They now have, but on their own terms. Not the press' terms. They are showing the press that has only one track mind how doing things differently and remain classy can get you out of a no win situation. I say good on them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Harry has a cheeky moment as he takes a backseat at today's event.

Chris Ship

Verified account

@chrisshipitv
Follow Follow @chrisshipitv
More
I could be wrong but I reckon we’ve caught Prince Harry red handed stealing some samosas from the Meghan’s ‘Together’ cookbook event they were at today!! Have a watch...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom