Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery 1: Feb 2004 - Oct 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, there's a history, going back to Queen Victoria, of queens leaving some items of jewellery to the Crown rather than as personal property. Among other things, Queen Victoria left the Indian tiara (the diamond and ruby tiara that the Queen Mother wore) to the Crown, as well as the diamond collet necklace that the Queen wore to her coronation and the two strings of pearls that Princess Elizabeth wore at her wedding. The George IV diadem, which is what the Queen's wearing on all the postage stamps, is another one that was left to the Crown by Queen Victoria, and it's only worn on State occasions. It shouldn't be hard to add the Delhi Durbar tiara to the jewels that are Crown property, if it hasn't already been done.

I'm not sure where the George IV diadem lives when it isn't being used, but the Delhi Durbar tiara could join it. Seems a pity for historic pieces like that to not be viewable by the public on a regular basis.

If Queen Mary did not designate the Durbah as "To be worn by all future Queens" then it would have remained personal property and as such would have been left to the present Queen when her grandmother died.
This seems unlikely as the Queen Mum wore it in the 1940's & 50's but ceased to wear it after the death of Queen Mary. So perhaps it is crown property in which case I agree with you that these peices should be on show somewhere - perhaps the Queen's Gallery at Buckingham Palace?

Well, the George IV diadem was part of an exhibition at the Gallery to commemorate the Jubilee; I don't know if that exhibition is still going on. It's a shame it and some of the other pieces of royal jewellery with a lot of historical context aren't on permanent display somewhere.

she might have enough jewels to rival many other crown princeses but class is something she will never have, and i not talking about her (with charles's help) being a home recker but charles went from one of the most beautiful women in the world to her.
so charles can cover her in jewels from head to toe and she is still tacky

semisquare said:
she might have enough jewels to rival many other crown princeses but class is something she will never have, and i not talking about her (with charles's help) being a home recker but charles went from one of the most beautiful women in the world to her.
so charles can cover her in jewels from head to toe and she is still tacky

I will only reinterate something I said in an earlier post on this thread

In my opinion the lady has exhibited nothing but class. She doesn't talk about the Royal Family, she gets on with her charity work, she dresses well and is considered a loyal freind by those close to her. I wish some women I know had that much class.

We know nothing about the woman other than what the tabloids have told us in their "Saint Diana" scenario. At this late stage we should give her a chance to show us what she can do. As a more mature, settled woman she may prove even more successful in her role than Diana was. She will probably never gain the adoration but I think she will eventually gain our respect as a hard working & caring Royal. I really think the will prove an asset to "the Firm".

This thread is for discussions of jewellery. People who want to talk about Mrs Parker-Bowles's character are invited to do so on the British Royals board. It isn't an appropriate topic for this board.

Elspeth

Royal Jewels moderator.

Claire, thanks for the link to the Hello Magazine article. Very informative!

Earings

The earings HRH wore at the blessing look suspiciously like they may have come from Queen Mary's Loop Tiara.

Last edited by a moderator:
A new choker & brooch

She wears the watch at her right wrist. Is she left-handed?

with her wedding dress do u think it would have look better with a tiara? and i'm talking about the 2nd dress she wore, i think it was lt green

Tiara: yes please!

semisquare said:
With her wedding dress do u think it would have looked better with a tiara? and i'm talking about the 2nd dress she wore, I think it was lt green

Green with gold thread.

And doesn't everything look better with a tiara?

Except of course Sarah Buys. Nothing could save that dress.

We'll just have to wait for Camilla's debut tiara appearance to see if she has an old Royal tiara from the vaults, or one that Charles has bought for her.

Would love to see what jewels she received as wedding presents!

Camilla's brooch blunder
By Robert Mendick, Evening Standard
19 April 2005

The Duchess of Cornwall has taken a shine to a jewel-encrusted brooch given to the Queen Mother on her 100th birthday ... only Camilla is wearing it upside down.

The brooch, thought to have languished in storage since the Queen Mother's death, has now found a home on Camilla's lapel.

Prince Charles's new bride may not have realised, however, that it is based on a fisherman's fly and what may be mistaken for feathers sprouting out of a crown is actually the tail and back end of a fly. The Pearl of the Dee brooch ought to be sported with the tail pointing down. Camilla has taken to wearing it with the tail facing skywards. The Queen Mother was a keen fly fisher and the brooch was a gift from the Salmon and Trout Association, of which she was the patron.

Camilla has worn the brooch at least twice - once for her official engagement photograph and then for her first royal duty since getting married when she opened a children's playground last week.

It was spotted in a photograph in the Standard by its designer, Rachel Jeffrey, 32.

"She is wearing it upside down," said Ms Jeffrey, whose studio is in Wheathampstead, Hertfordshire. "I designed it to wear the other way up."

The jewel cost about ?2,500 to make. It is formed of solid 18-carat gold with pearls at the top and bottom. The central lattice work is encrusted with sapphires, emeralds and rubies to represent the Queen Mother's racing colours, and the wings are set with diamonds.

"I never saw the Queen Mum wear it," added Ms Jeffrey. "Her equerries wrote us a lovely letter to say she was delighted with it. But I didn't know what happened to it. I am delighted Camilla is wearing it."

It is Ms Jeffrey's second boost from the royal household. She set up her business with a ?5,000 Prince's Trust loan. A Clarence House spokesman said: "The brooch is a family heirloom which has been lent to the duchess rather than given. She likes it very much."

it's kinda funny she wear it the other way around.....:D :D btw....it's the brooch she wore with her red dress

I think the brooch looked fine upside-down too. Since it's fisherman's fly I don't think it's so bad to wear it this way. Aren't those flies usually in vertical position (when fishing)?

But interesting to know the background of the piece. I thought it was some celtic-inspired silver thing, or something.

I would also like to see a close-up of it, because I can't see the said gemstones (sapphires, emeralds, rubies, diamonds) in the photos...

semisquare said:
with her wedding dress do u think it would have look better with a tiara? and i'm talking about the 2nd dress she wore, i think it was lt green
tiaras are usually worn by veils,she didnt have a veil eighter

The Duchess of Cornwall with an interesting brooch:

caption:
The Duchess Of Cornwall attends the Welsh Rugby Union Grand Slam Celebration at the Millennium Stadium on May 2, 2005 in Cardiff, Wales
(from Getty Images)

stacy said:
The Duchess of Cornwall with an interesting brooch:
I think that the Queen also have a brooch that has the same shape with this one.

stacy said:
caption:
The Duchess Of Cornwall attends the Welsh Rugby Union Grand Slam Celebration at the Millennium Stadium on May 2, 2005 in Cardiff, Wales
(from Getty Images)
I like the pearls neckles, brooch and bracellets colours especially if the lady who wears them has Blonde hair colour, I wish we could see her earings,

POW Feathers

HMQueenElizabethII said:
I think that the Queen also have a brooch that has the same shape with this one.

Camilla is wearing her Prince of Wales Feathers Brooch.
Unsurprisingly, it appears to be her favourite.

ps.. I wonder if Charles has made an offer to Dame Elizabeth Taylor for the original diamond brooch that was part of the estate of the Duchess of Windsor?

Warren said:
ps.. I wonder if Charles has made an offer to Dame Elizabeth Taylor for the original diamond brooch that was part of the estate of the Duchess of Windsor?

He'd only have to make a sizeable donation to her AIDS charity to secure it. Well worth the effort to support a worthy cause and stop such an emotive piece disappearing. :)

The Duchess's Tiara at Royal Gala today::)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom