Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery 1: Feb 2004 - Oct 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
is there any big pic of her wedding ring?

i found the upside-town brooch on corbis, but don't know how to post it, you can search for it

Last edited:
Camilla's necklace

florawindsor said:
:confused: i only saw her necklace, where is the tiara?

Apparently Charles bought a diamond tiara at auction and had it made up into the necklace that Camilla is wearing.

I guess that soon after each wedding anniversary we will see Camilla wearing a previously-unseen piece of jewellery. Charles will give her nice things.

We have yet to see Camilla wearing a tiara. I wouldn't be surprised if a lovely tiara was among the wedding gifts from her husband. So it's just a matter of waiting for what C & C think is the right occasion for her to wear it publicly for the first time.

And isn't that what we are waiting for? The "debut tiara appearance"!

Engagement ring instead

florawindsor said:
is there any big pic of her wedding ring?

Couldn't find a wedding ring pic, but diamonds are better...

Last edited by a moderator:
Warren said:
Apparently Charles bought a diamond tiara at auction and had it made up into the necklace that Camilla is wearing.

I guess that soon after each wedding anniversary we will see Camilla wearing a previously-unseen piece of jewellery. Charles will give her nice things.

We have yet to see Camilla wearing a tiara. I wouldn't be surprised if a lovely tiara was among the wedding gifts from her husband. So it's just a matter of waiting for what C & C think is the right occasion for her to wear it publicly for the first time.

And isn't that what we are waiting for? The "debut tiara appearance"!

That's what I"M waiting for. I was hoping she would go to the opening of Parliament, but I guess with all the changes there, not even the POW was invited!

Warren said:
Couldn't find a wedding ring pic, but diamonds are better...

Wow! That's looks really cheap! I know it's supposed to be diamonds but there's no brilliance or WOW effect. Charles offered her much better jewels.:confused:

Wow factor

Idriel said:
Wow! That's looks really cheap! I know it's supposed to be diamonds but there's no brilliance or WOW effect. Charles offered her much better jewels.:confused:
Perhaps the lack of "wow" in the photo has more to do with the lighting from the camera's flash. Jewels can look flat if not lit properly. I don't think the Queen Mother would have had cheap-looking diamonds; certainly not of that size!

Warren said:
Perhaps the lack of "wow" in the photo has more to do with the lighting from the camera's flash. Jewels can look flat if not lit properly. I don't think the Queen Mother would have had cheap-looking diamonds; certainly not of that size!

I agree Warren. Also the cut could have a lot to do with it. I might be wrong but I have a feeling that this is quite an old fashioned way of cutting diamonds and that there are not a lot of facets to difract the light?

wymanda said:
I agree Warren. Also the cut could have a lot to do with it. I might be wrong but I have a feeling that this is quite an old fashioned way of cutting diamonds and that there are not a lot of facets to difract the light?
Yes Wymanda, the baguette cut is not my favourite. Not enough facets. Brilliant cut is much better to get that wow factor. Similarly I think cabachon emeralds don't look very interesting. More scintillation please.
:)

I actually have a feeling that while the Queen Mum left all her possessions to the Queen in her will there may have been another document giving all her jewellery that didn't belong to the crown to Charles. Hopefully this will mean that we will see Camilla with some really old and interesting pieces.

I noticed on the Clarence House site that Charles & Camilla are hosting a dinner @ the Palace of Hollyrood at the end of the month. I wonder if this will be a tiara event?

The Norwegian royal couple (possible also Haakon and Mette-Marit if she is not to pregnant) will pay an official \centenary visit to the UK in the beginning of November. Since the swedish visit had a gala with tiaras hopefully we will also see tiaras in UK in the autumn.

Last edited:
wymanda said:
I noticed on the Clarence House site that Charles & Camilla are hosting a dinner @ the Palace of Hollyrood at the end of the month. I wonder if this will be a tiara event?
The Dinner is for commomerating the 60th Anniversary of the end of the World War II,i don't think the Duchess will wear Tiaras there.

wymanda said:
I actually have a feeling that while the Queen Mum left all her possessions to the Queen in her will there may have been another document giving all her jewellery that didn't belong to the crown to Charles. Hopefully this will mean that we will see Camilla with some really old and interesting pieces.
oh, if that's true. what will happen to the jewels after Camilla? will they be passed to her children or Wills&Harry?

wymanda said:

All of the Queen Mother's possessions, including her private jewels, were left to the Queen to avoid the inheritance tax. The Queen Mother possessed a small collection of jewelry as she was not passionate about jewels the way Queen Mary was.

Most of her jewels belonged to the Crown (Queen Victoria's ruby tiara, several bracelets, a bow brooch, Queen Alexandra's pearl and diamond parure, the George III diamond tiara, William IV brooch) and cannot be worn by anyone but a Queen. She also had many diamonds, including rivieries, necklaces, earrings and several rings, but since these pieces were mostly gifts from the Sovereign (either from her father-in-law, King George V, or her husband, King George VI), they belong to the Crown now.

While The Queen gave Charles a ring from the Queen Mother's private collection to use as Camilla's engagement ring (a royal tradition), it remains to be seen if she will be given other pieces as well. I highly doubt the Queen will give Camilla any jewels associated with the Crown or a Queen, but she is likely to receive pieces from the Queen's private collection from time to time.

It is very unlikely Camilla will be permitted to wear highly visible pieces associated with the Queen Mother.

florawindsor said:
oh, if that's true. what will happen to the jewels after Camilla? will they be passed to her children or Wills&Harry?

By royal tradition, any jewels given to a member of the royal family by a Sovereign or Queen Consort must first be offered to the Crown after their death. This is to ensure pieces considered to be part of the royal collection or worn in right of it are returned to the Sovereign. Most of the time, the jewels remain with the deceased's family and are passed down or sold.

Camilla's jewelry belongs to her, with the possible exception of her engagement ring, as it was either handed down by her own family or purchased by Prince Charles.

William and Harry each selected a piece or two of Diana's private jewelry to keep in their possession in memory of her. William is said to have his mother's sapphire engagement ring, while Harry has Diana's Cartier tank watch. The rest of Diana's jewelry was either returned to the Spencer family or the Queen. Most of her pieces will probably reappear in the future on William or Harry's wives.

It is very unlikely Camilla will be permitted to wear highly visible pieces associated with the Queen Mother.

Quite apart from anything else, it would be very dubious PR for her to be seen wearing pieces that had a strong association with either the Queen Mother or Diana. I'm sure the Queen can find some jewellery that hasn't seen the light of day since Queen Mary's time, even if it has to be reset to be more appropriate for modern use.

A Tiara for Camilla

Elspeth said:
I'm sure the Queen can find some jewellery that hasn't seen the light of day since Queen Mary's time, even if it has to be reset to be more appropriate for modern use.
I wouldn't be surprised if Charles presented Camilla with a tiara (whether from the vaults, or newly-purchased) as a wedding present.

I am sure that Camilla is well-aware that a lot of people are eagerly awaiting the "debut tiara appearance".

Elspeth said:
Quite apart from anything else, it would be very dubious PR for her to be seen wearing pieces that had a strong association with either the Queen Mother or Diana. I'm sure the Queen can find some jewellery that hasn't seen the light of day since Queen Mary's time, even if it has to be reset to be more appropriate for modern use.

WHY?

Whilst I agree with you regarding items that Diana wore, I fail to see why items worn by the Queen Mother (a lady who lived a long and full life) should be consigned to the vaults and not worn by the wife of her favourite grandson and the heir to the throne. Whatever title she chooses to be known by, Camilla will be Charles consort and first lady of the land. It is only right that she have jewels befitting that position.

Last edited:
There's no need to shout; I may be getting old, but I'm not deaf yet, you know.

As I said, I think it's because it would cause negative publicity. People are very fond of the Queen Mum, there was quite a lot of bad press when it was noticed that Camilla's engagement ring had belonged to the Queen Mother, and I think there's going to be yet more stirring by the journalistic rat pack if Camilla starts showing up wearing any of the Queen Mother's jewels any time soon. There are a lot of Diana fans out there who don't want to see Camilla being given such clear symbols of royal acceptance yet. I think we're going to have to wait a while before seeing Camilla in either of the tiaras associated strongly with the Queen Mother. My suspicion is that she'll start wearing a few minor pieces that had belonged to the Queen Mother but that tiaras and important necklaces will be more historic things, which used to be Queen Mary's.

From that mean-spirited piece of character assassination in the Daily Mail the other week, portraying Camilla as an ambitious upstart who's already being cold shouldered by most of the senior royals, I think we can be pretty sure that if she's seen wearing the good old Queen Mum's jewels any time in the next year or two, it'll be a wonderful excuse for more of the same accusations about blind ambition and about family feuds between the Queen and Charles and goodness knows what else. And the Mail has quite a large circulation.

In any case, quite a lot of the jewellery worn by the Queen Mother was in the collection started by Queen Victoria to include items that should be worn only by queens in the future; that includes her ruby and diamond tiara among other items. If the officials at the Palace are still claiming that Camilla will be Princess Consort rather than Queen after Charles's accession, they'll be sabotaging their own cause by letting her wear items from that collection.

Last edited:
I've rather belatedly changed the thread title to reflect Camilla's new name.

Elspeth said:
There's no need to shout; I may be getting old, but I'm not deaf yet, you know.

Sorry Elspeth.
It just gets my back up that the press & some of the people want Camilla treated like a second class citizen. Had Charles & Diana still been together when the Queen Mum died Diana would have, no doubt, had her pick of the Queen Mums jewels but Camilla is to be denied these things despite the fact that she is Charles wife and has the same precedence and status that Diana had even though she has chosen to use the secondary title of Duchess of Cornwall. She is, by legal right, The Princess of Wales and is entitled to the "perks" of the job just as Diana was.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, well, you know how things are; a lot of people have an intense emotional attachment to Diana, the press is ready to magnify real or perceived friction out of all proportion, and the royal family, if its self-preservation instincts are any good, will have to take things slowly. That's why I think it's probably going to be a while before we see Camilla wearing pieces that are closely associated with the Queen Mother.

The other thing is that the Queen Mother didn't have that many major pieces of jewellery; for the last few decades she basically only wore two tiaras and a small number of very recognisable brooches and necklaces. I think it's likely to be a few years before Camilla is seen in any of them, although I might be underestimating the courage of the royals.

Elspeth,

i dont wanted Camilla used Diana's famous jewerly since Diana got marriages to Prince Charles in 1981-1997 they reminded of Diana very much!

i wanted Camilla wores HM Queen Mother's jewels more best!

Sara Boyce

wymanda said:
WHY?

Whilst I agree with you regarding items that Diana wore, I fail to see why items worn by the Queen Mother (a lady who lived a long and full life) should be consigned to the vaults and not worn by the wife of her favourite grandson and the heir to the throne. Whatever title she chooses to be known by, Camilla will be Charles consort and first lady of the land. It is only right that she have jewels befitting that position.

The Queen is well aware of how her mother felt about Camilla and is a traditionalist when it comes to these matters. There is no way Camilla will be seen wearing the Queen Mother's important jewels (like the Boucheron tiara augmented by Cartier) while the Queen is alive. Once Charles ascends the throne, he is free to give Camilla whatever Crown pieces he wishes for her to wear.

I'm sure the Queen will be generous, however, with her private collection, of which only a tiny fraction has ever been seen or worn since the time of Queen Mary. There are many, many pieces that can be reset for Camilla and she already has a rapidly growing collection of jewels that Charles has purchased for her.

I don't think we have to worry. Camilla will have plenty of important jewels to wear!

Does anyone recognize the pair of flower pins (they look like daisies) that Camilla wore today in Portland? Could they be more things out of the Queen Mum's jewel box?

I saw those pins again, in the Hello Magazine online spread about Camilla's hats. She wore the matching flower pins at Ascot when she wore the white Philip Treacy hat (no feathers!) and a periwinkle suit.

Ennyllorac said:
No matter what she wears in jewellry she will never have class.

I agree... Never liked her back in when she and Charles were dating, don't like her now. Diana is the only Princess of Wales IMHO and Camilla as queen? Pyucky :(

wymanda said:
Sorry Elspeth.
It just gets my back up that the press & some of the people want Camilla treated like a second class citizen. Had Charles & Diana still been together when the Queen Mum died Diana would have, no doubt, had her pick of the Queen Mums jewels but Camilla is to be denied these things despite the fact that she is Charles wife and has the same precedence and status that Diana had even though she has chosen to use the secondary title of Duchess of Cornwall. She is, by legal right, The Princess of Wales and is entitled to the "perks" of the job just as Diana was.

Some of us will never accept Camilla regardless of who she is today. We're just like those members of the Royal Family that rebuffed Wallis, Duchess of Windsor when she married the Duke of Windsor ... she was never accepted or forgiven. That's where my stance is. Lovely lady, Camilla I'm sure but not in my books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom