Divorce For Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid & Princess Haya

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous: That's a good question!

Indeed, under which laws are the court in Britain to rule?
British or Dubai (Dubaian?)
I assume due considerations will have to made to this fully legal marriage under foreign law. Polygamy can hardly be taken into consideration, because that is legal in Dubai and the Princess was not underage when she married nor was she forced into marrying.

Won't the wishes of the children be decisive in a British court?

I don't think the reports specify that she's asking for a legal separation/divorce in Britain, but asylum, but she may be. Either way it's going to cause a massive diplomatic headache.

They have to give a reason for the separation, we'll see if the rumours are true and 'adultery' will be given by Sheikh Mohammed.

I was wondering if the marriage is considered legal in Britain at all as polygamy is not legalized there? Maybe the marriage is only recognized under islamic law.

The accusation of adultery, whether true or not, gives him a lever to use against her.

I wonder what Sheikha Hind thinks about this situation? Finding out her husband was marring much younger princess had to be bad enough, but now ? I wonder , does she ever fears for her life?

I wonder how the UK court will deal with this case? As you said, polygamy is not at all recognized there.
I have just watched an Arabic report on Alaraby TV claiming that Sheikh Mohammed has officially informed Jordan of his willingness to divorce Princess Haya on the condition of returning his children back to the UAE. The same report claims that the Princess does not seek to escalate the dispute with her husband, she decided as a mother to flee with her children fearing that she would not be allowed to see them again in case of divorce. The family has chosen to settle in Europe to avoid harming Jordan & the Hashemite family and also to be protected under the western custody laws.

Last edited:
I doubt the state of the marriage [its legality or otherwise, under English Law] will play a part in any decision to grant the Princess asylum. What will matter is whether her life is considered to be in danger, should such asylum be refused..
On the evidence of Princess Latifa's case, I imagine asylum will be granted, despite the diplomatic/financial ramifications for Britains relationship with Dubai.

I expect that the Sheikh’s lawyers are seeking the return of his children to their country of habitual residence, which I assume is UAE/Dubai.

The linked article mentions The Hague Treaty regarding international child abduction. The irony is that UAE has not signed the Treaty, thus I’m not sure the UK Court is bound to follow the Treaty in this case. Certainly in cases of parental abduction to an Arab country that I’m aware of, the left behind parent has no recourse through the courts there via the Treaty since those countries haven’t signed it.

But assuming arguendo the UK court decides to follow the terms of the Treaty despite the fact that the UAE is not a signatory country, generally, under the terms of the treaty the children must be returned to where they have been living and the custody rules of that country are then followed by the courts in that country. There are some exceptions which I’m sure Haya’s lawyers will argue in court should the need arise.

Last edited:
I wonder what Sheikha Hind thinks about this situation? Finding out her husband was marring much younger princess had to be bad enough, but now ? I wonder , does she ever fears for her life?

Well we can't know what goes on behind closed doors in her very private world and know very little about her, but she's seen a lot of his wives come and go and still seems to be around. It can't be much fun to watch your husband marry several younger women though, whatever culture you come from, even if it's not a surprise to you. Haya was different because she was public, a princess in her own right and westernised to a large extent. We know some like Latifa hate the restrictions on them and fear for their lives if they rebel and others don't seem to mind.

The accusation of adultery, whether true or not, gives him a lever to use against her.
I don't see why the wife having an affair, this could be considered a weapon against her strong enough to make her loose her kids custody in favor of a husband who has already 5 other wifes. These ladies as polygamy is nor legally recognized in Europe they are considered as simple mistresses, aren't they?
The main question is :are previous marriages, recognized as legal marriages?
How did Princess Haya and SM married? By Civil wedding? Princess Haya is not Emirati, she needed to have a marriage legal in her own country
Anyway I don't know but all this does not look very easy.

I don't see why the wife having an affair, this could be considered a weapon against her strong enough to make her loose her kids custody in favor of a husband who has already 5 other wifes. These ladies as polygamy is nor legally recognized in Europe they are considered as simple mistresses, aren't they?
The main question is :are previous marriages, recognized as legal marriages?
How did Princess Haya and SM married? By Civil wedding? Princess Haya is not Emirati, she needed to have a marriage legal in her own country
Anyway I don't know but all this does not look very easy.
Jordan allows man to have up to four wives, so her marriage was legal there.
Maybe sheikha Hind was still around as she had no option? She’s member of powerful family too, yet perhaps understood better limitations , which were put on her. Maybe she learned to live with it . I hope Haya and her children are and remain safe.

This situation is very complicated and can cause several problems between the Royal Family of Jordan and the Royal Family of Dubai. They are two powerful families and the King of Jordan is her brother.
I think this is a case that will still give much to talk about.

Personally I think its better that the media are reporting Haya is in the UK fearful of her security. If it had all been kept secret and she suddenly had “an accident” one day then noone would have though much about it apart from what a tragedy it was, now if any dirty tricks are tried then its pretty clear who’s to blame. Also, the BBC is a good source as they wouldn’t report something like this without clear evidence from reliable sources, tbh I would suspect that they have spoken to Haya or someone acting on her behalf personally, suggesting Haya is happy for her status to be known.
I hope its settled quickly and am sure it will be as otherwise it may affect Dubai’s standing- its more politics than personal. Will it make the ruler change his ways, probably not

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...illion-town-house-near-Kensington-Palace.html

It's official! Smart move because in Dubai the law is the word of Sheikh Mohammed.

I don't think Haya was naive when she married the Sheikh but knew exactly what she was getting into. As long as she played by the rules, everything was fine. Her escape shows that she knew exactly what was going to happen if she stopped playing by the rules and brought herself into the best position she could for the war that will follow now.
No, I don't believe Haya was naive when she married the Sheikh but, I do believe that she knew him and respected him. They had interests in common and his reason for making her one of his wives was because he needed a woman who had a well-known "public face" and could provide the same for him as his wife. Haya filled that bill because while westernised and an equestrian of note, she was still an impeccably well-connected Muslim Princess in her own right and understood the different lifestyles.

I am quite sure she did not know what sort of man she was really marrying and the gossip surrounding his other marriages and subsequent divorces would not have reached her and I am sure her brother King Abdullah felt his sister was safe. It is my understanding the extended family do not live communally but rather have totally separate quarters, if not homes.

It is my belief that as happens, time reveals all and by the time she purchased her London "weekender" or "Ascot retreat" she knew a lot of things she wished she didn't. But I believe the publicity about two or three of his daughters put the wind up her and then she was asked by those who did not understand her position, to intervene on Latifa's behalf. Now that would have been a recipe for disaster but frightening enough for her.

It is interesting the Sheik Mohommad is asking the UK Family Court to return his children to him citing a UN Convention to which his country is not a signatory. Those conventions predate and therefore do not cover, family violence or the rights of the child, merely international abduction which is pretty emphatically seen as not being in the best interests of the child. Sheika Latifa's book may be a very timely resource. The Sheik's reputation regarding horse doping may also factor into his international standing

Princess Haya's wealth is covered by her marriage contract and that she owns her own racehorses and was able to purchase a multi-million pound London residence tells us that married or not, she is not without means. However, I think international politics and policies will dictate which countries the UK does not really want to an enemy of, the UAE or Jordan.

However, the publishing of the book about Sheika Latifa's ill-fated escape plan, its subsequent failure and the conditions under which she, her sister and other victims are being held by the Sheik is horrifying and if he could do this to his own daughters and a few unknown others does not bode well for Princess Haya herself nor her children.

No, I don't believe Haya was naive when she married the Sheikh but, I do believe that she knew him and respected him. They had interests in common and his reason for making her one of his wives was because he needed a woman who had a well-known "public face" and could provide the same for him as his wife. Haya filled that bill because while westernised and an equestrian of note, she was still an impeccably well-connected Muslim Princess in her own right and understood the different lifestyles.

I am quite sure she did not know what sort of man she was really marrying and the gossip surrounding his other marriages and subsequent divorces would not have reached her and I am sure her brother King Abdullah felt his sister was safe. It is my understanding the extended family do not live communally but rather have totally separate quarters, if not homes.

It is my belief that as happens, time reveals all and by the time she purchased her London "weekender" or "Ascot retreat" she knew a lot of things she wished she didn't. But I believe the publicity about two or three of his daughters put the wind up her and then she was asked by those who did not understand her position, to intervene on Latifa's behalf. Now that would have been a recipe for disaster but frightening enough for her.

It is interesting the Sheik Mohommad is asking the UK Family Court to return his children to him citing a UN Convention to which his country is not a signatory. Those conventions predate and therefore do not cover, family violence or the rights of the child, merely international abduction which is pretty emphatically seen as not being in the best interests of the child. Sheika Latifa's book may be a very timely resource. The Sheik's reputation regarding horse doping may also factor into his international standing

Princess Haya's wealth is covered by her marriage contract and that she owns her own racehorses and was able to purchase a multi-million pound London residence tells us that married or not, she is not without means. However, I think international politics and policies will dictate which countries the UK does not really want to an enemy of, the UAE or Jordan.

However, the publishing of the book about Sheika Latifa's ill-fated escape plan, its subsequent failure and the conditions under which she, her sister and other victims are being held by the Sheik is horrifying and if he could do this to his own daughters and a few unknown others does not bode well for Princess Haya herself nor her children.

Yes to all of this. It is extremely naive if anyone thinks that being a Jordanian princess, or being secluded with her children in a European country, whether that is Germany, the UK, or anywhere else, offers her iron-clad protection. It is clear that her husband is positioning himself as the wronged party, and the argument could be made that accusing her of having an affair sets up the implication that she is an unfit mother, and that the children should be returned to him.

It is interesting the Sheik Mohommad is asking the UK Family Court to return his children to him citing a UN Convention to which his country is not a signatory. Those conventions predate and therefore do not cover, family violence or the rights of the child, merely international abduction which is pretty emphatically seen as not being in the best interests of the child. Sheika Latifa's book may be a very timely resource. The Sheik's reputation regarding horse doping may also factor into his international standing.

I think Sheik Mohammed has petitioned the British High Court in this matter and its totally different than Family Court. Princess Haya and her children are petitioning for asylum in the UK and the Sheik wants his children returned to the UAE. He is also pursuing this through private channels and the government is not involved from what I've read.

"Requests are alleged to have been made to the UK through private Dubai channels seeking her return to the United Arab Emirates and she is believed to have been concerned about her personal safety in the UK. The Foreign Office, however, is understood to regard the matter as a private dispute."

"A spokesperson for the UAE embassy said: “The UAE government does not intend to comment on allegations about individuals’ private lives. As for whether it has raised such an issue with its German or British counterparts, the answer is no.”

It will be an interesting case to watch unfold for sure.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ttles-wife-in-uk-court-after-she-fled-emirate

Personally I think its better that the media are reporting Haya is in the UK fearful of her security. If it had all been kept secret and she suddenly had “an accident” one day then noone would have though much about it apart from what a tragedy it was, now if any dirty tricks are tried then its pretty clear who’s to blame. Also, the BBC is a good source as they wouldn’t report something like this without clear evidence from reliable sources, tbh I would suspect that they have spoken to Haya or someone acting on her behalf personally, suggesting Haya is happy for her status to be known.
I hope its settled quickly and am sure it will be as otherwise it may affect Dubai’s standing- its more politics than personal. Will it make the ruler change his ways, probably not
I agree with you. I think this going public was sort of a strategy. Haya feared for her life when she escaped Dubai, therefore, making this public will give her, even if small, a protection that might be relevant to her life. About the kids, Sheikh Mohammed will not retreat on this matter. It showed that he was extremely close to Al Jalila and Zayed. He will go until the end of the world to get his kids back. This will be an ugly ride from now on...

As for Al Jalila. Wasn't she in school? I wonder what will happen to her in the UK. Will she go to school there? Or maybe home schooling? Or an hiatus from school?

The Sheik's reputation regarding horse doping may also factor into his international standing

It wasn't just doping...the cruel abuse that involves the horses in endurance races (easily found on google) ...the FEI has been able (or perhaps willing) to do very little about it so far.

He comes across as a wealthy tyrant to me.

LaRae

For me both parties gain to bring publicity to this case.
Princess Haya because this avoids her to "disapppear' into a luxurious place in Dubai for ever...
For Sheikh Mohamed I think it is more obscure and complicated. By going to the court he just wants to pretend to the international community that he respects occidental laws. IMO he does not count to this to have his kids back. SM will try to have his kids back by any mean, including force.
A man who sends a commando in foreign country to kidnap his adult doughter do you really think that he will respect the UK barristers? Of course no.
For me these kids will face now a decade of fear. At least a decade, because Sheikha Latifa last story shows that he doesn't respect adults decision of life.

Sheikha Hind is family, if I recall correctly a first or second cousin and the First Wife whose children will continue the legacy. For her it would have been a normal life with Sheikh Mohammed chosing different wives and father lots of children with different women, it would not change her position.

Marrying a westernized muslim Princess as official Second Wife was a brilliant strategy until things went bad.
I doubt Haya ever commanded the same respect and influence in Dubai circles as Sheikha Hind.

How will the Queen avoid being dragged into one of Britain's biggest ever divorces?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7206605/Ruler-Dubai-splits-wife-Queen-avoid-dragged-in.html

Of course the headlines in Britain are huge, because both were frequently seen with QEII and SM kind of owns Newmarket, the headquarters of flat racing in the UK, if the Sheikh gets angry with Britain he could pull out some money/investments.
Rumours are out that he already shut down two showjumping establishments, the sport that Haya loves so much.

Last edited:
Well, I don't know much about the law but shutting down showjumping establishments shows a cruel and spiteful nature. I don't believe that Haya believed any of the stories about Sheika Latifa and her sister and several other such tales about his cruelty to his ex-wives and children.

However, all those seeking to help SL seemed to think that PH knew all about it and expected and in some case demanded, that she intervene.

It was not her place to do so but I can imagine the Sheikh being incandescent with rage that his private life was on show. Be that as it may, I believe that was the turning point in that marriage

I am however curious about his plans for her since he is said to have lobbied the government for Haya's return and the court for the children's, one would have to ask why he wants Haya back

IMPO he treats his wives and children like property. Why would he want Princess Haya's return if he has announced his intention to divorce her?

This has all the marks of an international affair left entirely with the FO. I only hope that Haya and her children do not get shafted for expedience.

Last edited:
...I am however curious about his plans for her since he is said to have lobbied the government for Haya's return and the court for the children's, one would have to ask why he wants Haya back

IMPO he treats his wives and children like property. Why would he want Princess Haya's return if he has announced his intention to divorce her?

Sheikh Mohammed would do all he could to return his children but at least judging by what he wrote, he doesn’t intend to ask his wife to return home. Sure he will negotiate to end the marriage on condition that just his children are returned to him. I do not think he's trying to get princess Haya back.

Last edited:
The youngest wife of Dubai’s ruler spent months meticulously plotting her escape to London after discovering her husband lied to her about imprisoning and torturing his elder daughter, Mail Online can reveal.
Friends told Mail Online Princess Haya Bint Al Hussein fled Dubai after finding out how Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Maktoum had treated his daughter Princess Latifa.
Haya was told by her husband that Latifa was the victim of an extortion plot and had to be rescued and brought back to Dubai when in fact she was trying to escape to start a new life in the US.
A family source said: ‘Princess Haya finally learned the truth about what her husband did to his own daughter and feared the same could happen to her.
‘She went along with what was said after Latifa escaped last year but found out for herself what she had endured and asked herself, what kind of man puts his own daughter in prison?'
The family source said it was Princess Haya’s realisation that her husband was able to imprison his own child – and her subsequent fears for her own two children - that triggered her decision to leave.
Dubai ruler's wife Princess Haya planned escape after husband LIED about imprisoning elder daughter _ Daily Mail Online

It wasn't just doping...the cruel abuse that involves the horses in endurance races (easily found on google) ...the FEI has been able (or perhaps willing) to do very little about it so far.

He comes across as a wealthy tyrant to me.

LaRae

Yes, and he installed Haya as President of FEI ... Honi soit qui mal y pense, to quote the Order of the Garter.

Princess Haya's actions put a huge strain on relationships between UAE and Jordan. Princess Haya's attempt to buy good publicity from mass media of democratic regimes is pathetic.

Last edited:
The article states that the Sheikh is proceeding pursuant to The Hague Treaty re: abducted children, which isn’t accurate since UAE/Dubai are not contracting states to the Treaty. I believe that there is an extradition treaty between the countries which might be applicable - it would be an interesting International law case but for the danger to Haya and her children’s freedom.

Princess Haya's actions put a huge strain on relationships between UAE and Jordan. Princess Haya's attempt to buy good publicity from mass media of democratic regimes is pathetic.

We in the democratic regimes value freedom above all else.

Frankly I couldn't care less about the UAE's relationship with Jordan and I applaud the publicity this situation is getting from a mass media that is free from government interference.

Regimes that restrict citizens in any way, and in particular women, to the point where they fear for their life, deserve all the negative publicity they get.

Last edited:
Well, in Monarchies it is a truly a problem, when Princes go/flee without permission abroad - with or without the mother.

This little kids might become a problem one day!

Here in Berlin/Germany we had the "Soldier King" and his son Frederick, later known as Frederick the Great, tried to flee - this was seen as Treason!

Same for the son of Peter the Great of Russia, who paid with his life for fleeing the country.

The little kids of Princess Haya might claim the throne later, especially Zayed (with the help of foreign powers or after a revolution)!

:previous: Umm, this is not 1819 but 2019 and in twenty years perhaps the International Court in the Hague, the UN, Nato and many other treaties and alliances may not exist. However, I would be both surprised and shocked if such a thing should be attempted. I say attempted because it would be bound to fail with the support of the international community. There is little taste for initiating regime change in the West with the odd (very odd) exception.

Back
Top Bottom